Pownal Select Board split on biomass ...

Pownal Select Board split on biomass letter

There are 53 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Jan 7, 2011, titled Pownal Select Board split on biomass letter. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

In a split vote, the Select Board decided Thursday to send a letter to the Public Service Board, asking it to deny party status to out-of-state entities such as Williamstown, Mass., regarding permitting of a proposed 29.5 megawatt biomass facility at the former Green Mountain Race Track.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
harvey carter

Saint Albans, VT

#41 Jan 13, 2011
GrnMtnBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not very good with the math, are you. You honestly believe the town is at a 60/40 split because of the puppets on the board that voted that way? The town knew all along how those three were going to vote. They knew it long ago.
Have you not attended one meeting, and I mean the ones that Beaverwood hosted. There were two, TWO people in total that were for this, and both of them were.....ready.... lumberjacks.
So, the real math is 200 /2 (on that day anyway). I honestly have not encountered , face to face, one pro biomass person.
I now work just a few days a week and see a lot of people out and about in town. Sorry, but you can continue to lie to yourself, but no one is buying it.
Even on these pages. ProBiomass 3 people. You, the other me, and the other, other me.
Sorry, Harv. Come to terms.
Was at the meeting at the race track. I was the logger in the orange shirt. You must travel in very elite circles in town, because with the blue collar folks i know,and grew up alongside, there is far more support than opposition to the plant, pending complete air and water quality tests.Only 246 people on the anti Facebook page last time i checked,with most being from outside of town.

If you are implying that there is some kind of quid pro quo between Beaverwood,and the three selectman who stuck up for Pownal, I understand why you remain hidden behind many names. Your statements border on slanderous .
GrnMtnBoy

Bennington, VT

#42 Jan 13, 2011
harvey carter wrote:
<quoted text> Your statements border on slanderous .
Now you are an attorney. Wow.

Will your response be: I've watched the people's court for 30 years, therefore........

Not guilty, but thank you for your concern.
GrnMtnBoy

Bennington, VT

#43 Jan 13, 2011
harvey carter wrote:
<quoted text> You must travel in very elite circles in town,
Nope. Not at all. My large circle is my family, and the family's of all others in Pownal (even yours). Believe it or not, Harvey. I don't want your family to breath in the particulates of this company, anymore than my own.

You seem to be okay with it, and that's sad.

I don't care how many other woodfire plants there are in the state. They are already there and there is not much I can do about it.

I do care about this one. The one that's not here.
GrnMtnBoy

United States

#44 Jan 13, 2011
Looks like you have an identity problem to me. You don't know who you are or what you do.

You have no idea who attended those meetings. Was I there? You might be surprised.

Just because a person attended or didn't attend, doesn't mean they are against or for the plant.

I am in town a lot also. There have been very few against the plant. Many are actually undecided because they are waiting for all the facts. Most have to inhale more smoke from their own woodstoves and outside furnaces than they ever will from the plant. And they know it.

Bad publicity, rumors and poor half truths that is being spread is being done by Williamstown people / college students.
thats funny

Adams, MA

#45 Jan 13, 2011
GrnMtnBoy wrote:
Looks like you have an identity problem to me. You don't know who you are or what you do.
You have no idea who attended those meetings. Was I there? You might be surprised.
Just because a person attended or didn't attend, doesn't mean they are against or for the plant.
I am in town a lot also. There have been very few against the plant. Many are actually undecided because they are waiting for all the facts. Most have to inhale more smoke from their own woodstoves and outside furnaces than they ever will from the plant. And they know it.
Bad publicity, rumors and poor half truths that is being spread is being done by Williamstown people / college students.
I find it funny that you want someone to identify themselves but you post under grnmtnboy.
GrnMtnBoy

Roy, WA

#46 Jan 13, 2011
thats funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it funny that you want someone to identify themselves but you post under grnmtnboy.
And your excuse?
harvey carter

Saint Albans, VT

#47 Jan 13, 2011
GrnMtnBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Not at all. My large circle is my family, and the family's of all others in Pownal (even yours). Believe it or not, Harvey. I don't want your family to breath in the particulates of this company, anymore than my own.
I don't care how many other woodfire plants there are in the state. They are already there and there is not much I can do about it.
Would like to hear some concrete data on particulate matter from a wood fired electricity plant comparable to the one proposed in Pownal. Do you have some factual numbers you could share with me? You must be an air quality expert, according to your logic,so lets hear some numbers.
harvey carter

Saint Albans, VT

#48 Jan 13, 2011
GrnMtnBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
The Williams College heating plant particulate emissions ranking in the Commonwealth of Mass,with 0 being cleanest,and 100 being dirtiest in the state? It is 90. Wow,good neighbors!

How can they be so worried about having a clean wood chip plant next door?

An electric plant fueled by renewable fuel,with efficiency enhanced further by using excess heat to produce wood pellets. A plant that produces a small fraction of the stuff that they put into the air every day to keep their heating,and electric costs to a minimum. Sounds like the people in Williamstown could clean up their act quite a bit with a chip plant of their own
GrnMtnBoy

United States

#49 Jan 14, 2011
Probably they have money tied up in oil futures. I'm sure most of their alumni do. Burning that #4 oil is great!

Why MAKE IT IN VERMONT or AMERICA when we can import it?
PTC

Cordova, TN

#50 Jan 16, 2011
Great debate!

One question for those against Biomass as alternative energy- How concerned are you about the last century of warfare, and why block something that can produce both heat and electricity using local resources? I think we can all agree with the fact that our current global conflict is partly/ largely based on our use of energy?

Thinking locally and acting globally is the issue here, and the elephant in the room is war. While a smoke stack in the back yard may or may not produce less environmental harm than current production plants, it not as ugly as war. We are smashing our young people with our current policies, which is why the fed gov is trying to move us away from our dependence by giving huge tax incentives for things like the proposed biomass plant in Pownal.

To bastardize a Clinton quote, "It's the war, stupid."
PTC

Cordova, TN

#51 Jan 16, 2011
Many arguments suggesting that Williamstown should have a vote because of impact, but I do not see anyone suggesting Pownal should be able to regulate Williamstowns plant- funny how that works!
PTC

Cordova, TN

#52 Jan 16, 2011
GrnMtnBoy wrote:
Probably they have money tied up in oil futures. I'm sure most of their alumni do. Burning that #4 oil is great!
To coin a Clinton expression, "It's the war, stupid."
PTC

Cordova, TN

#53 Jan 16, 2011
GrnMtnBoy wrote:
What an irresponsible argument. We just got done spending over a trillion dollars in Iraq, not to mention all the young lives. 9/11 is at least in part a product of our relationship with the house of Saud (our current energy policy).

I don't care what kind of numbers you try to use to explain your position, because it costs us trillions to maintain our current energy policy, which is part of the reason why the Obama administration is offering these kinds of incentives to build local plants.

Why make it in Vermont when we can import it? You're kidding, right? Take a trip to the local VA hospital and get back to us. Take a look at the federal deficit.

It's the war, stupid!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Migrant Caravans Nov 9 Fed up 2
Montpelier vt needs a Bypass Road (Aug '17) Nov 9 Fed up 4
Natasha Durand Jul '18 Thought u should ... 1
American Diplomats In Cuban Embassy Jun '18 RNs 2
News Trump lawyer forced to reveal another client: S... (Apr '18) Jun '18 Annie Oakly 81
Most scenic route-Topsham to Haverhill (Feb '17) Feb '17 Sixbennetts 1
News Road Pitch investors ride motorcycles into Brat... (Jun '16) Jun '16 internet troll 1

Barre Jobs

Personal Finance

Barre Mortgages