Barneveld Water
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Little Bird

Fayetteville, NY

#1 Jan 7, 2010
Just heard from a reliable source that the county is going to shut down the Barneveld water system. Mabey if the village board spent less time bitching and more time acting it wouldnt have come to this. Welcome Oneida County Municipal Water to Barneveld everyone!
Barney

Canton, NY

#2 Jul 16, 2010
It looks like your reliable source is not so reliable.
I bet

Utica, NY

#3 Jul 16, 2010
Little Bird, very bluntly, you are full of blue mud! The County Health Dept, the NYSDoH, NYSDEC and the EPA have been working very closely with Barneveld to ensure that the village springs are filtered, properly disinfected and most important; potable. Don't be a rumor monger! There is no such thing as Oneida County Municipal Water!
Barney

Canton, NY

#4 Aug 24, 2010
Barneveld has the attention of all the capital letter agency these days. Between the water system and lack of sanitary sewers, all eyes are on Barneveld. The infrastructure of the village is in tough shape. It's going to cost the residents a lot of money to pay for the upgrades.
Homer

West Leyden, NY

#5 Jun 9, 2011
Looks like Barney was right. Village taxes increased about 65% this year. Ouch! I guess the Village is more concerned about drainage and potholes, than the sewage that goes into the creek. The next Village Board Meeting is June 14th at 7:00pm.
what

Ithaca, NY

#6 Jun 10, 2011
The Town of Trenton has been working on a sewer system for the the Hamlet of Hinckley and surrounding area to alleviate the sewerage going into the Prospect Pond. There is no reason why the Town, along with the Villages of Prospect and Barneveld, can't provide a system for their areas. Part of Prospect up to the Remsen Town line can go into the Hinckley project, the rest of Prospect and surrounding area could go with Barneveld. Parts of Remsen not going to their system could also be incorporated. Since Holland Patent (HP) already has a system in place, the balance of the Town could be split with HP and the Prospect-Barneveld system. This could be done piecemeal by putting in the plants in Hinckley and Barneveld connecting the homes and businesses most likely to contaminate the main and feeder streams that empty into the West Canada. The rest of the Town's sewage could be added to the mix by determining the next most likely until all are connected. There may be places that make them too expensive or too remote to be practical for connection, those places would not be taxed to help pay for the system. Though, provisions should be made for connection in the future. A project of this magnitude could provide several jobs for local citizens, if the system is set up right. There would be initial construction, plant personnel, distribution maintenance and connection maintenance jobs available. There will come a time when clean water will replace oil as a top commodity, commanding top dollar.
what

Ithaca, NY

#7 Jun 10, 2011
There are, at the very least, three homes and a camp that could directly affect the Barneveld well head area with raw sewage. That is why I wrote the previous post, but forgot to add this information.
deputy dan

Schenectady, NY

#8 Jun 10, 2011
what wrote:
There are, at the very least, three homes and a camp that could directly affect the Barneveld well head area with raw sewage. That is why I wrote the previous post, but forgot to add this information.
You are either severely misinformed, outright lying, or simply uneducated. Study the area, its topography, zoning restrictions, etc... before you waste our time with misinformation again.
what

Ithaca, NY

#9 Jun 10, 2011
Deputy Dan, you are the one misinformed, a liar and grossly uneducated. I probably know the area better than you do. The houses I'm talking about are the former Don & Mary Cannon residence, the present Ken Morrison residence, Putnam's retreat directly across the road from one of the springs and possibly the new log cabin off 365E. Having identified the possibilities, there are a few houses on Church Street and Kline Drive inside the Village of Prospect that could be suspect. Most of the underground streams on the properties that I described flow into the Barneveld watershed. Get your head out your ass and ask their village clerk to let you see the area included in Barneveld's well-head protection plan. And from now on don't shoot your mouth off about stuff you know nothing about. I know what I'm talking about because I was involved in the well-head protection plan study, along with a geological survey done about 40 years ago. The next time you are in doubt, check with Sean Clive of OCDoH.
deputy dan

Selkirk, NY

#10 Jun 11, 2011
what wrote:
Deputy Dan, you are the one misinformed, a liar and grossly uneducated. I probably know the area better than you do. The houses I'm talking about are the former Don & Mary Cannon residence, the present Ken Morrison residence, Putnam's retreat directly across the road from one of the springs and possibly the new log cabin off 365E. Having identified the possibilities, there are a few houses on Church Street and Kline Drive inside the Village of Prospect that could be suspect. Most of the underground streams on the properties that I described flow into the Barneveld watershed. Get your head out your ass and ask their village clerk to let you see the area included in Barneveld's well-head protection plan. And from now on don't shoot your mouth off about stuff you know nothing about. I know what I'm talking about because I was involved in the well-head protection plan study, along with a geological survey done about 40 years ago. The next time you are in doubt, check with Sean Clive of OCDoH.
Wow, this "experience" 40 years ago, forgive me. I had no idea you were a licensed hydrologist. So, you can back up this claim that underground streams run directly from the mentioned properties to the wells? And that these homes are discharging "raw sewage" into the streams? I have to ask, you must have swum up these underground streams when you learned of the direct discharge?

Honestly, with your vast experience on the subject, don't you think they test the water on occasion to ensure it hasn't been contaminated? Its laughable that you would accuse anyone else of having their head up their arse, how would you be able to tell when your up to your shoulders in you own?

If you really feel its necessary, contact the DEC or DOH, report this dumping of raw sewage, and let the real experts investigate. In the meantime, get off the couch and attend a town and village meeting, be heard!

Or, sit back and throw jabs on topix. You have crossed a line by naming people here, did you learn that 40 years ago also? If you really are so sure of yourself, why not tell us your name, perhaps we could have a proper discussion in person.
what

Ithaca, NY

#11 Jun 12, 2011
You are an idiot. You tell me who you are first and I'll decide if you're worthy of discussing anything with. Why do you think that they had to build a filtration plant you jackass. They were under orders from EPA and NYDoH because they were determined to be in danger.
deputy dan

Springfield, MA

#12 Jun 12, 2011
what wrote:
You are an idiot. You tell me who you are first and I'll decide if you're worthy of discussing anything with. Why do you think that they had to build a filtration plant you jackass. They were under orders from EPA and NYDoH because they were determined to be in danger.
Im an idiot? Your the one claiming that people are dumping raw sewage into the village water system.

Of course you won't list your name, you only throw other peoples names around.

For the record, tests never showed the water as being contaminated. But, because the wells were slightly too warm by government guidelines it was presumed that they MAY have been subject to surface runoff.

Never once has anyone suggested those you mentioned were dumping raw sewage into the wells. You'd think someone else would have noticed it in the 40 years you've been an expert.

Just curious, did you know septic systems need to be designed by a licensed engineer? One of the major reasons for this is to ensure the neighbors are not recipients of unwanted septic runoff. Of course, you bring a expert on shyt probably knew that already?
what

Ithaca, NY

#13 Jun 13, 2011
NO, I only said that there was a potential for contaminants to enter the system, learn how to understand what you read. List your name first! Yes, but there are people who do not follow all of the laws passed, mainly because they can find an excavator who is not a member of Dig Safe NY. Some of those systems have been in before that law was passed in the late 1990s. You're the only expert on sh*t. I know about the tests of which you speak, but there was more to it than warm wells. Of course, if you're a spokesperson for Barneveld I don't expect you to admit to any wrong-doing by said Village. Typical of that place. I can already tell that you know not of what you speak. I guess you must believe that those underground streams have been disturbed by some covert method. What a dolt you are.
deputy dan

United States

#14 Jun 14, 2011
what wrote:
NO, I only said that there was a potential for contaminants to enter the system, learn how to understand what you read. List your name first! Yes, but there are people who do not follow all of the laws passed, mainly because they can find an excavator who is not a member of Dig Safe NY. Some of those systems have been in before that law was passed in the late 1990s. You're the only expert on sh*t. I know about the tests of which you speak, but there was more to it than warm wells. Of course, if you're a spokesperson for Barneveld I don't expect you to admit to any wrong-doing by said Village. Typical of that place. I can already tell that you know not of what you speak. I guess you must believe that those underground streams have been disturbed by some covert method. What a dolt you are.
Now its just a potential? Sure, if they disconnect from their septic systems and pipe it directly to a stream that feeds a well. I understand fully well what you said. You made an anonymous, outrageous, unsubstantiated claim against innocent people that live adjacent to the wellhead protection area. Somehow you have managed to turn it around that I'm a jackass and a dolt for challenging your outrageous, anonymous, unsubstantiated claim.

What the hell does dig safe ny have to do with septic systems? You've been climbing in too many contaminated wells.

Now your suggesting some type of coverup by the village? Thus ought to be good, what is the cover up? No I'm not a spokesman for the village, I'm a spokesman for the covert group that crawls among the underground springs near the village wells and "disturbs" them.

Just curious, where is your proof that any underground spring has been disturbed? That is an odd choice of words from somehow that originally suggested that specific people were spewing raw sewage directly into village drinking water. No, some study you saw 40 years so doesn't count, provide some proof of the contamination, coverup, whatever your calling it today, or crawl back into your hole.

I'm sure your reply will contain more baseless accusations, maybe a reference to your glorious past as a wellhead expert, a little name calling, etc.....but I'm willing to bet it will still lack any proof.
Homer

West Leyden, NY

#15 Jun 21, 2011
Wow Wee! This topic really took a wrong turn. There were some interesting thoughts thrown out for discussion.

I was really surprised that only one resident came to the Village Board Meeting to voice their concern with the tax increase.

I thought one point quite interesting. It was said that because of the pending 2% tax cap, the Village thought it should raise taxes this year because next year they would only be able to raise taxes by 2%, which would only be a nominal amount. I wonder if the other villages are going to jack up their taxes this year to cover for not being able to raise taxes in the years to come?

I think I should ask my boss if I could have a 65% percent raise this year, because I heard that the compnay was going to cap raises next year. I'm thinking he won't buy into that idea. What's the difference here?

Granted, taxes have been very low for a long time. Some would say that's great. However, none of the problems (sanitary sewers, streets, drainage, and water), were being repaired. They have been asleep at the wheel. Holland Patent had all the same issues, and was notified at the same time by DOH and NYS. However, HP did something about it. Back then, there was money available from NYS. All you had to do was apply for it. Fast forward about 20 years... HP has a sanitary sewer district, a water district that is part of the MVWA, nice streets & sidewalks, and garbage pick-up for the taxes. Unfortunately, you can't say the same for Barneveld. Now they are playing catch-up.
my8kinbutt

Cortland, NY

#16 Jun 22, 2011
No updates to Water? Do you live under a rock? You REALLY need to attend more meetings to stay informed.
Homer

West Leyden, NY

#17 Jun 22, 2011
I stand corrected. The water issue is being addressed. I apologize.

Since you seem to be in the know, what is the village going to do about the septic issues along Mappa Ave and Vanderkemp Ave? The DEC and DOH are only going to put up with the "We're working on a solution" response for so long. This has been a known issue for a very long time. That was the intent of my post above.

I would be glad to come to the next meeting and introduce myself. Where do you usually sit? Since there's only about a dozen chairs it shouldn't be much trouble finding you. Or, do you sit at the conference table?
my8kinbutt

Cortland, NY

#18 Jun 23, 2011
I rarely attend board meetings due to my work schedule but I read the minutes on the village website and I ask questions from the board members. If you read previous minutes you would know that the town and the village are working on a joint project to address septic in the village and in the Mapledale area. The project was in final stages but Obama's stimulus money ran out and funding fell through. The village has not forgotten about this - funding the project is the hold up.
Homer

West Leyden, NY

#19 Jun 24, 2011
I understand the town and village are working on a joint project. Who knows when or if it will get done. As you said, ARRA funding ran out. If the village took action like Holland Patent did about 20 years ago, they would be in great shape. Back then funding was much more abundant from NY and the Feds. I don't understand why nothing was done. I think that was irresponsible of village. Now that they are being audited by the state, some light may be shed on what has happened.
my8kinbutt

Cortland, NY

#20 Jun 25, 2011
Maybe mistakes were made 20 years ago. You would have to ask the Mayor and board members who were in office at that time. It is not fair to blame the present administration who is trying to correct problems in the village the best they can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barneveld Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Children safety Sun Hmmm 2
starr hill cemetery (May '11) Sat Christine 28
Thank you Trackside Blazers Sat Jaywallker 11
6 % Increase in school taxes. (May '13) Oct 20 Remsen dong 52
meth house on plank rd?????????? (Apr '16) Oct 20 5150 shop 6
Village scumbags... (Apr '12) Oct 19 Babygirl99 74
metlife bed bug infestation Oct 19 Jonesy 5

Barneveld Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance