Teen in critical condition after Floy...

Teen in critical condition after Floyd accident

There are 270 comments on the WKTV story from Feb 12, 2013, titled Teen in critical condition after Floyd accident. In it, WKTV reports that:

Authorities are investigating a serious two-vehicle accident on Route 365 in the Town of Floyd that sent two men to the hospital.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

therighttruth

Holland Patent, NY

#206 Feb 27, 2013
Oh and please tell me what "lines" I have crossed? Please explain that to me. So I can correct you some more.
concerned

Parish, NY

#207 Feb 27, 2013
Samantha Rossi wrote:
<quoted text> Intellectual? Please let's debate. What about my facts are wrong? I am accusing her over not taking children's safety into consideration. She has been doing it from the beginning. So you wanna say that I'm spewing venom? I am only showing the facts of years of misconduct. The accident was a tragedy. The accident could have been avoided. Many of her misconducts could have been avoided. In any other district she would have been let go. In any other profession she would have been let go. If you read back I have avoided saying anything about the Yagey family and their grief. I have avoided the death of a teenager, I have pointed out other misconducts, not her most current one. Maybe you are the one that needs to see someone for your self-hatred that you are allowing to cloud your judgement to truly debate and see any other side then the one that WKTV has given you. Maybe you should watch the interview on WUTR. Stop. Read. Make an argument that isn't attacking the person. If YOU want to continue this privately message me on Facebook. At least I'm not a coward and hide my identity. Maybe you hide because you don't believe what you are saying and are trying to make everyone think that there is no way out. Maybe you are KD trying to make everyone believe that the people that are speaking out are crazy and not to be heard. Kinda sounds like the beginning of a revolution. Make the opposition seem crazy and not trustworthy.
there's more than just Mrs. Davis that makes decisions about closing school. What about the transportation supervisor.
utoh

Holland Patent, NY

#208 Feb 27, 2013
Everyone has an opinion on this subject. Some say she should have delayed or closed. Others say she made the right call. What I'm worried about is, this and the other things being brought out, other incidents of questionable decisions. The more I hear the more worried I get. I'm a taxpayer too, and if she's getting paid that kind of money, she should be doing a better job than that. Some of you think she is some sort of queen or someone who doesn't have to answer for the mistakes or decisions she has made. Alot of us think otherwise. Take her off the pedestal you've placed her on and let's just get some answers. "We" all pay her salary. Maybe it's time to shake things up and get someone new.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#209 Feb 27, 2013
When there is a tragic accident we look to see who in the end could have stopped this accident instead of the cause. The cause was roads not being plowed. Who is responsible for plowing state roads...Department of Transit..What is the operational plan for each city/town. When I look on cityofutica.com ... click on public works...then click on snow removal...it states Department of Public Works David Short, Commissioner Snow Removal Snow Plowing and Salting: Our city is broken down into 13 major plow routes that basically cover the entire city.When a snow storm does hit, priority is first given to main streets, school areas, and steep hilly streets, with secondary and dead end streets soon to follow. As always, the bulk of the snow plowing/salting is done after 11 pm, with snow plowing/salting crews working continuously throughout the day if the need arises. What happened to our schools...all three are either on state route 365 or is the access road to get to school(high school)Can anyone provide factual information on the way this all works? Shouldn't this classify route 365 as a priority also. It is also a direct route to get to Rome hospital.Lets find out why the roads were not plowed. Can anyone help?(14 min ago | post #1)
Not everyone

Marcy, NY

#210 Feb 27, 2013
Not everyone that is upset about all this is not directly related to the accident. The accident is part of the entire issue. But if you saw the parents on Facebook on Monday, the day BEFORE the accident, the day the roads were a sheet of ice...you would see then, then is where people started to become upset about the school not being closed. Then the uproar became louder the next morning, finding the roads again in bad condition, and school was open as normal. And then upon hearing the accident, people became even more so upset.

Sure, there are some that jumped on when the accident occured. Started pointing the blame. I don't agree with blaming anyone of the accident. You can't really.

The overall concern with most of us is the fact that two mornings of that week school should have been at least delayed due to the road conditions. And the questions arising to whether or not the school district carried about safety.

I for one feel, which could be wrong, that she didn't close school on Tuesday out of spite from the day before, because parents were very upset learning about buses sliding off the road and calling her office left and right. She even lied to one parent and said it didn't start freezing rain until 8am, and there was nothing they could do about it then. Which was false.

Then there is her poor choice on sending home that letter, a letter that was only sent home to a select few...why? In any matter, she appeared to be trying to deflect the blame and the phone calls because she didn't close school. She even changed the wording from the website where she stated she has final decision into something else on the letter sent home. And sending it home when a student in the district was in an accident due to the road conditions that morning was just in poor taste.

School was closed today. Which was odd, looking and being on the roads at the same time of those two days weeks ago, the roads I took were clear, and just a little wet. While the days of concern, were either covered in ice, or slushy and greasy.

I am sure there might have been some roads bad in the district...but the difference in conditions is easilly seen.

My point being, is I don't think she and anyone else involved in closing schools takes this task seriously, or with effort. It appears that she and everyone else involved don't want to make the decisions for themselves, and instead turn to what all the other schools are doing in the area. Closing school today kind of makes that point, I believe. Roads were fine, but every other school was closed, so we might as well close.

Makes you wonder about those in their positions, and how worthy there are to have them. I mean, if you can't look outside your window, or drive the roads to determine if school needs to be delayed or closed...what do they do with issues that are far more complicated?

As I don't see why if Utica, or New Hartford schools that decide to close have anything to do with Holland Patent deciding to close. I can see Remsen, Oriskany, and Whitesboro maybe...but still, overall, why does it matter what they do? You should be concerned on what is going on in your district, and being concerned about the safety of those in your district. Don't put their lives in the hands of other schools making the decision for you. That and all of us in this district pay you to work for us, not to follow someone elses lead.

Location hidden

#211 Feb 27, 2013
To all and "not everyone"...Please read the above...we can not change a judgement call but all of us can change the policy in which roads are plowed...perhaps even a law so this won't happen again. Everyone wants to blame the superintendent but first we need to know why the roads that 2 schools are on and two schools are right off 365 are not in a plan to be one of the roads to be plowed first? This we can change and then Mon. or Tuesday would not happen again.
Reason

West Hartford, CT

#212 Feb 27, 2013
curiouser 4 curiouser wrote:
To all and "not everyone"...Please read the above...we can not change a judgement call but all of us can change the policy in which roads are plowed...perhaps even a law so this won't happen again. Everyone wants to blame the superintendent but first we need to know why the roads that 2 schools are on and two schools are right off 365 are not in a plan to be one of the roads to be plowed first? This we can change and then Mon. or Tuesday would not happen again.

thank you finally a voice of some normalcy!! The people attacking KD and the district just don't like her whether its a decision she has made that somehow has affected them or they just don't like her because she is a successful woman in an authorative position. There is no doubt the attacks on her are personal. To think the staff at any school doesn't care about children is ignorant! There were a few accidents in Remsen this morning and they were open. People it snows up here! It snows several times a week at times! We drive many times in 1-3 inches of snow! We never can predict the dam lake effect bands! The weather is so unpredictable! The schools have to make decisions early! It's difficult very difficult ....ask our local weather guys! Yes we need to do better with our roads for sure especially the ones leading to our schools so well said . Don't try to debate with the KD haters because their agenda goes far beyond school closings!

Location hidden

#213 Feb 27, 2013
School roads should be one of the first to get plowed (next to emergency response services...which two fire departments are also off the route 365)...why wasn't it? What can we do to change or correct this? I now know rte 365 is a county road but why doesn't the state DOT mention schools in their policy. They do mention emergency services which again two firehouses are just off route 365,. Unless I just couldn't find the section on schools. Perhaps if they do put schools in their operational procedures counties would have to follow it. Also if they take our state trucks and counties have to cover thestate roads wheredoes that leave our schools and safety for our children..then what operational list is in place and where can we find this list to make sure our schools are covered and this doesn't happen again.I do not know how all this works but now I need to know...Can anyone help?
Finally

Whitesboro, NY

#214 Feb 27, 2013
curiouser 4 curiouser wrote:
School roads should be one of the first to get plowed (next to emergency response services...which two fire departments are also off the route 365)...why wasn't it? What can we do to change or correct this? I now know rte 365 is a county road but why doesn't the state DOT mention schools in their policy. They do mention emergency services which again two firehouses are just off route 365,. Unless I just couldn't find the section on schools. Perhaps if they do put schools in their operational procedures counties would have to follow it. Also if they take our state trucks and counties have to cover thestate roads wheredoes that leave our schools and safety for our children..then what operational list is in place and where can we find this list to make sure our schools are covered and this doesn't happen again.I do not know how all this works but now I need to know...Can anyone help?
I dont know how it works myself..........what I do know is that I heard from several sources that we sent state workers to New York City to help out with the storm they had there and that they were short staffed here and the County and towns were picking up the slack. My understanding from other posts is that 365 from Rome to Holland Patent has not been good during many morning snowfalls regardless of how much snow has fallen this year. I am not blaming the DOT because I believe accidents are accidents and that there are several factors that contribute to them. What I am saying is that this community comes first and safety should always come first. I think we all try to protect ourselves and our children the best we can and we no doubt, have to make tough decisions..........even on the weather. The key here is to learn from this and to maybe make everyone more keen to what needs to be done to keep us all safe on a pretty normal winter day in Upstate New York. Some things, however, are just out of our control..........
sawadee

Brooklyn, NY

#215 Feb 27, 2013
I am tryng to figure out the operational plan and trying to change it. If roads for emergency departments and schools are supposed to be plowed...I would like to know wh they weren't. oes anybody know where this operational plan is and again the Dot is suppose to keep our roads safe. If they need their state vehicles downstate some sort of plan should be proposed for upstate. What is in the DOT manual isn't sufficient for our schools and that needs to change. Sometimes it takes a trajic accident to find a better solution to a problem that could happen again.So why not try to find out how our system works. Doesn't anyone want the facts? I do before I can make any decision and make it better for my community. Also, again in the DOT manual it states emergency facilities are to take priorty and there are two fire departments directly off route 365. Also if this is state route then the responsibility goes to the state plows...hence DOT. I may be wrong... Bt I am still trying to find their operational plan that Dot states that each region has. I want to know because I would like to know if all school communities are safe and what my plan is for our community.
TaxPayer

Rome, NY

#216 Mar 1, 2013
Its not a matter of why the roads werent plowed your just changing the topic because you have no legitimate responses to an incompetent person in charge than calling people haters. This isn't true. Im sure Kathy is a nice lady. She is just a failure of a leader. And people speaking out about it care about the safety of not only their children but themselves.
It was a snow storm in the morning of question had it been plowed and Im sure it was it would have accumulated and would have been terrible again within an hour and it was. THIS is why a STUPID INCOMPETENT decision led to all of this. When there is more precipitation than a town garage can effectively keep up with (as was the case) and its dangerous to drive then we TRUST that the ONE person we hired to decide to keep the children safe DOES HER JOB. PERIOD She DID NOT.

Now this is only the straw that broke the camels back. It took the death of a child to finally bring to light all of her oversight of a long line of rapists pedopliles, huge fights, program cuts and on and on and on.

It makes me sick that you people "99 percent" of the intelloigent community are ok with these things and will sit back and defend her.

SHE OVERSAW THE HIRE OF A BUS DRIVER THAT WAS RAPING and PROSTITUTING OUT YOUR CHILDREN TO HIS SON! What the hell is the matter with you people.

Oh I bet that's not her fault? I tell ya what shit flows up hill in cases like this and she gets paid the big bucks to sit there and deal with it make the tough decisions. Or get out. You people defending this women are SICK!

I haven't heard one person defending her respond intelligently to any of the legitimate serious concerns listed in this thread other than to throw bully or hater or something along those lines out. Why? because you cant defend INCOMPETENCE. It must be that there is something wrong with those that will call her out on it.
just me

Utica, NY

#217 Mar 1, 2013
Rte. 365 is not a county road, it is a state road that runs from Rte. 8 in Herkimer County to Rte. 5 in Oneida Castle (not sure, but may be in Madison County). The state pays Oneida County to plow 365 west to Rome and east to the intersection of NYS Rte. 365 and 920V. I have no idea who plows it after that. Not withstanding the rants by "taxpayer", if the weather was that bad then the parents should have kept the children home. If enough stay home, a snow day opening delay will almost have to be implemented.
NY Educated

Mount Airy, MD

#218 Mar 2, 2013
Wow..I had the chance to go tohttp://www.publicschoolrevie w.com/school_ov/school_id/5548 2 and review Holland Patent Schools. 96% graduation rate, above the state average by 10% pts..Sounds like things are really bad at the school...
TaxPayer

Rome, NY

#219 Mar 3, 2013
Ignorance... pure and simple.

Rant? Sure as hell is. You bet I argue my beliefs passionately.

lol.... Graduation rates are a joke now a days. Aside from dropping out Teachers aren't allowed to fail students but that's a whole other topic.

No child left behind Translates to "No child allowed to fail"
TaxPayer

Rome, NY

#220 Mar 3, 2013
March 13th is the next BOE meeting. Ask questions. Be civil. Get answers. Budget vote is in May.
TaxPayer

Rome, NY

#221 Mar 3, 2013
And just to be clear everyone is ok with the Rapist she had on staff? Grooming raping and distributing to his son for additional rape? No one seems to want to respond to this....
concerned

Parish, NY

#222 Mar 4, 2013
TaxPayer wrote:
And just to be clear everyone is ok with the Rapist she had on staff? Grooming raping and distributing to his son for additional rape? No one seems to want to respond to this....
Maybe there's no truth to it all
Precious

Holland Patent, NY

#223 Mar 6, 2013
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
go back through the news reports on wktv..about two years ago, and personally if you are from lowville, stay out of it as you don't know anything about what goes on in this school district
Precious

Holland Patent, NY

#224 Mar 6, 2013
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Former-Holland...

i took the liberty of looking it up for you.. it happened in 2009 now for the rest of you that are sick and tired of the insane abuse of power by our superintendent who has repeatedly put our children at risk, the BOE meeting is March 13th. We can voice our opinions and facts then peacefully.
Clodees

Watervliet, NY

#225 Mar 7, 2013
First check the facts how long was the person with the school system. Did the current sup hire him..no
Obviously the school system and the law responded when this came to light the school bus driver no longer employed in the school system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barneveld Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crystal Graves-Poczatek 2 hr Welfare Fraud Inv 5
town installs new barneveld sidewalks and wants... Mon GOVT not for the ... 8
Kim Martin Polovick Mon Why not 6
eastern star Aug 24 mom2be 1
really??? Aug 24 Thatguy 2
Chris Verente Aug 23 Michael Jackson 4
Has anyone ate at cuginis pizza in barneveld (Aug '12) Jul '16 rave review 69

Barneveld Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance