Holland Patent Superintendent's Lette...

Holland Patent Superintendent's Letter To Parents Sparks Controversy Surrounding Student's Death

There are 15 comments on the WUTR story from Feb 15, 2013, titled Holland Patent Superintendent's Letter To Parents Sparks Controversy Surrounding Student's Death. In it, WUTR reports that:

The death of a Holland Patent teenager has a community mourning... and taking sides.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUTR.

okay

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 16, 2013
I am an experienced driver and I can tell you that traveling on 365 on both Monday and Tuesday were extremely scary. What if there was an hour or two delay? What would that have hurt? School would still be in session but you could at least say that the roads were plowed and/or salted. She did make a poor decision, and instead of laying responsibility on parents and students entirely, she should admit at least some culpability for this tragedy. Let's look at what happened: On Monday several buses were late. My car had a sheet of frozen ice on it. Roads were not salted. A couple of buses ended up sliding and ended up in ditches. A mother saw a bus do this right after putting her child on the bus, got in her car, and took him back home. There was a 6 car accident on 49! Did she take any of that into consideration on Tuesday when the roads were snow and slush? Apparently not. It was nerve wrecking driving on that road. Then I am rerouted because of this terrible accident. The buses, faculity and staff, and students were late by at least a half an hour. They might as well have had the hour delay and at least save a life. Part of ensuring the integrity of the District, Ms. Davis, is taking responsibility for your actions. No one is saying it is entirely your fault. That would be unfair and untrue to do that. But please take ownership of that fact that you knew the road conditions were bad, you knew that the area is short DPW workers, you knew the conditions of the day prior and the consequences of keeping school open status quo, you, know weather is local, and you know that it is February, we only used one snow day, and if worse comes to worse, we can always use spring break days.
A Parent

Carthage, NY

#2 Feb 16, 2013
I have driven that part of Route 365, 5-6 days a week for 27+ years. The driver of the car was one of my sons classmates. My son took his car to school just before I left for work. My first thought was that I should've insisted he took the bus or stayed home andf why was school open?

The roads were deadly. The route really wasn't plowed. An inexperienced driver was truly at peril. I was mad at myself for letting my son take the car.

Fortunately for me I go by the road the school is on and was fairly certain he had made it safely. I was tense behind the wheel and the driving required my full concentration. I was diverted down Ritchie Road and could see the accident site for a moment across an expanse of field. From the number of emergency vehicles present I knew the outcome had to be bad.

I continued on, expecting one long drive to work. To my amazement beyond Rome the roads were clear. There had been no snow.

I am in an administrative postion as well. My reputation hinges on how well I care for those in my charge. I don't envy anyone in a similar position. However you do recognize when it is wise not to take a risk.

Poland was delayed, Remsen closed. The roads were clearly bad (at least if you were in the immediate vicinity). I have no idea where Ms. Davis lives or who she consults with to make such a decision. The safe choice was probably to delay opening. I can't judge what drove Ms. Davis's decision.

In a leadership position you are destined to re-live every bad decision made over and over again. She now has one fatal error to haunt her. May she learn from the experience.
pantera

Utica, NY

#3 Feb 17, 2013
Please let this family get through this and respect their wishes. For such an outraged bunch of patents ALL I SAW WHEN THE T.V. CREWS SHOWED UP AT STEWARTS WERE A BUNCH OF HIDERS HUDDLED COWERING IN THE BACKROUND. Did not seem like a large group either. Thank you Deb C. for having a level head, now lets see if Storm and her brude can stay quiet and do what the family has requested.
Please

Whitesboro, NY

#4 Feb 17, 2013
Please stop with the hate and bickering. Respect the family.
okay

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Feb 17, 2013
I don't understand. I am not saying anything hateful in this discussion. I've always tried to show the utmost respect for people when a friend or family member has passed on. However, why can't we talk about this issue. A lot of people saw this and saw their son or daughter. They can empathize and isn't that a good thing. These people are part of the community and should have their voices heard, so long as they are civil and nice about it. The people of Sandy Hook were probably overwhelmed by the nations response. A few saw it as a time when we should talk about gun violence. I think the families understood that we needed to have the discussion, even if it was a time for them the grieve. And the same goes for a number of other tragedies. This family is probably not looking on topix, and if they are they will see a community concerned about what happened. They will see a community engaged in what I have seen, an exchange that has been mostly civil. So I did put in my two cents, but it is in no disrespect to the family. My condolenses for your loss. Or to Ms. Davis, although I hope she can reflect on what the community is saying.
pantera

Utica, NY

#6 Feb 17, 2013
okay wrote:
I don't understand. I am not saying anything hateful in this discussion. I've always tried to show the utmost respect for people when a friend or family member has passed on. However, why can't we talk about this issue. A lot of people saw this and saw their son or daughter. They can empathize and isn't that a good thing. These people are part of the community and should have their voices heard, so long as they are civil and nice about it. The people of Sandy Hook were probably overwhelmed by the nations response. A few saw it as a time when we should talk about gun violence. I think the families understood that we needed to have the discussion, even if it was a time for them the grieve. And the same goes for a number of other tragedies. This family is probably not looking on topix, and if they are they will see a community concerned about what happened. They will see a community engaged in what I have seen, an exchange that has been mostly civil. So I did put in my two cents, but it is in no disrespect to the family. My condolenses for your loss. Or to Ms. Davis, although I hope she can reflect on what the community is saying.
With all due respect.This is not Sandy hook, there was a national media blitz during that tragedy. What we have is a few parents with a history of disrespect and entitlement that will lash out at the drop of a hat at Kathy Davis even when the family asks them to stop...ever hear of the term "haters" Im not saying that you are one of them, just be careful which side you are on at this time of mourning.
okay

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Feb 17, 2013
I know it is not Sandy Hook but this has certainly brought the local media attention in. If these people are arguing due to spite, I can completely understand why they requested that.
agreed

Whitesboro, NY

#8 Feb 18, 2013
This has got to be one of the more civilized forums on this subject thus far. Yes the roads were bad..but as anyone who drives knows that experience is a plus in situations like this. I drive bus for a local district and I can tell you first hand..as this was a bad day for driving...it WAS NOT the worst by far. I have driven for over 20+ years..and there were times when I couldn't see my hand in front of my face..but we managed to get the kids home/or to school safely...guess God was riding shotgun many times. While everyone WANTS to blame the superintendent...ultimately... SHE was not driving the car...but SHE DOES and SHOULD shoulder some of the responsbility for making a decision that put not only Anusha and Joey in harms way...but EVERYONE in the district that had to go to work/school that morning. If she has any shred of decency she will own up to her decision and make a public apology to the family and the community as well..otherwise...she has lost the respect of many..
Taxpayer

Rome, NY

#9 Feb 20, 2013
I dont know what Pantera talks about. Im not an angry parent with a vendeta as you suggest and This IS NOT about this family or the unfortunae accident. Sure repect them mourn them no problem I feel for them.

I am a Taxpayer without a child in school I know a loy of the kids tho.

This is about woman who has failed at her job at every decision she makes. The list is endless and th silenceabout it is disgusting.

The question is why has it taken the death of a student to bring this failed persons job credentials and performance under a microscope? WHY?

Why is anyone ok with this pathetic performance from the highest paid person in the School district? She has made millions for poor performance and flat out incompatence under her leadership. Its sickening. I love my school I love myhome town and its an embarressment to have people say Oh your from holland patent? Whats going on up there? Her reputation proceeds her all over the place and we are stuck with er unless she gets fired because NO ONE WILL HIRE HER. They dont want the piss poor publicity that follows her. Every damn thing that happens at the school has to front page of the paper ad lead story on her husbands television station. Tis is not the publicity that our home needs.

WE HAVE EVRY RIGHT TO BE PISSED OFF! If yu dont like it TAKE A HIKE. This is the beginning of te end of her reighn of destruction of a once sought after highly respected school district and a wonderful place to live.

Kathy YOUR DAYS are numbered.
Taxpayer

Rome, NY

#10 Feb 20, 2013
The next BOE Meeting is March 13th. Voice your concerns with her Job performance all of it not just this one decision.

ANYONE under her SHE would have FIRED for FAR LESS LONG BEFORE NOW!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH HOLLAND PATENT WE DESERVE BETTER LEADERSHIP THAN THIS!

Dont listen to these idiots calling you bullies and Haters its ok and your RIGHT to say we are MAD AS HELL AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Unite organize and vote her and her hand selected BOE OUT!
Taxpayer

Rome, NY

#11 Feb 20, 2013
When will it be your child, neice, nephew, grandchild, or freind shot on the school bus, raped by their bus driver, beat in school fight to within an inch of their life, or dead on the side of the road in a snow storm when school should never have been opened?

If your answer is never then you should be mad and do something about it.
Real voice of reason

Newington, CT

#12 Feb 20, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
I dont know what Pantera talks about. Im not an angry parent with a vendeta as you suggest and This IS NOT about this family or the unfortunae accident. Sure repect them mourn them no problem I feel for them.
I am a Taxpayer without a child in school I know a loy of the kids tho.
This is about woman who has failed at her job at every decision she makes. The list is endless and th silenceabout it is disgusting.
The question is why has it taken the death of a student to bring this failed persons job credentials and performance under a microscope? WHY?
Why is anyone ok with this pathetic performance from the highest paid person in the School district? She has made millions for poor performance and flat out incompatence under her leadership. Its sickening. I love my school I love myhome town and its an embarressment to have people say Oh your from holland patent? Whats going on up there? Her reputation proceeds her all over the place and we are stuck with er unless she gets fired because NO ONE WILL HIRE HER. They dont want the piss poor publicity that follows her. Every damn thing that happens at the school has to front page of the paper ad lead story on her husbands television station. Tis is not the publicity that our home needs.
WE HAVE EVRY RIGHT TO BE PISSED OFF! If yu dont like it TAKE A HIKE. This is the beginning of te end of her reighn of destruction of a once sought after highly respected school district and a wonderful place to live.
Kathy YOUR DAYS are numbered.
Thank You. An incredibly accurate comment. I am also sick of the Kathy Davis regime. Unfortunately she has infected the district with so many of her Whitesboro ilk it will take time to clean house. Main goal has to be cleaning up the BOE, Kathy is safe as long as she continues to pull the strings on board. This will also take a few years, to cycle out the Davis cheerleaders on board. It might only take one or two years to swing the balance of power, before her contract comes up again.That will be the best chance to get rid of her. We should be able to hasten her exit with an independent board that offers her a more realistic contract commensurate with her inadequate performance.

In light of current controversy I wont place blame, but most area residents should look in the mirror and ask what they have done to make the district better. Anyone unhappy with the Supt., BOE, or Board Pres. should think about becoming more active. Those who support them presently outnumber us, or else the wouldn't be in power.
Real voice of reason

Newington, CT

#13 Feb 20, 2013
Taxpayer wrote:
The next BOE Meeting is March 13th. Voice your concerns with her Job performance all of it not just this one decision.
ANYONE under her SHE would have FIRED for FAR LESS LONG BEFORE NOW!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH HOLLAND PATENT WE DESERVE BETTER LEADERSHIP THAN THIS!
Dont listen to these idiots calling you bullies and Haters its ok and your RIGHT to say we are MAD AS HELL AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!
Unite organize and vote her and her hand selected BOE OUT!
Exactly right!
I would like to see the present BOE put on record for their support of Ms Davis's performance.
Let it be a guide at the next election.
Which members term is up this year?
Voice of Reason

Utica, NY

#14 Feb 28, 2013
Unless you know every decision someone has made you can't possibly condemn them. Mrs. Davis makes decisions every day that you know nothing about. The vocal but uninformed minority are ranting and making noise and disregarding all the facts as usual. I realize no one can say anything that can wake you up from your slumber of ignorance but you really need to get your facts straight and stop reacting on a purely emotional basis. If you are blindly condemning KD based on ignorance how would that be any different from board members who might possibly be supporting her blindly? Unless you're privy to what goes on in BOE meetings, don't assume you know the details. The ugly vocal minority are far outnumbered by those parents who fully support her efforts to do what's best for our children. She has the complete respect of her peers, the majority of her staff and more parents than your feeble minds can comprehend. I'm willing to bet that you can't say the same in your professional life - if you even have one. Nastiness only breeds more nastiness and will not end in a productive and positive manner. I don't believe for one minute that your argument is about the safety of the children, but about making a name for yourself - no matter how ugly and ignorant it makes you appear. It's downright frightening that you might be in the position to influence children,
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Marcy, NY

#15 Mar 1, 2013
Voice of reason, it appears she makes decisions due to the weather based off of what other schools are doing in the area, not what is at the best interest of the school district. I can't prove it, but the actions performed this week seem to indicate that.

I question now, with all that has surfaced, how well she really does her job. As far as supporters for her, I have not seen any yet. Only on this silly message board. But I am open-minded and willing to see the true facts through a BOE meeting.

I found the people oposed to those upset to be the ones who are ignoring the facts and trying to put down those with an opinion of this subject. And most of the ignorance you speak of, come from people like yourself. While you say we spill out all the negative, your above post is filled with it. Yet you don't consider yourself to be at the very least negative.

Statements like "slumber of ignorance", "blindly", "ugly vocal minority", "feeble minds", "ugly", and "ignorant" are all the negatives I speak of in your post, BTW.

And your comment about not really being concerned about the childrens saftey, and only making a name for ones self is way off base. Not even sure where you get that from. As what does one accomplish from this on making a name for themselves?

You know what. Don't answer, as I am not really interesting in what you have to say. As there is no real worth to it.

The name "Voice of Reason" is a total contradiction to what you provide in your posts.

Now, good day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barneveld Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beatrice S Golden Dec 6 looking Beatrice ... 1
632 Strumlock rd (Jun '13) Dec 2 poland native 4
Horrible parenting Nov 29 DUMPSTERdan 2
Mark Cristopher Sullivan Nov 26 Marc 2
Tom howard Nov 26 Good Luck 2
crzy exs Nov 26 Fukol 6
Tim oster Nov 22 boxcar 2

Barneveld Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance