Connecticut Cougars

Full story: Hartford Courant

Year-in, year-out, about twice a week on average, the reports come in: Someone claims to have seen a mountain lion somewhere in Connecticut.

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 67 of67
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
nck

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Reality Check wrote:
I have spoken with retired police officers, MDC officers, and farmers. We have mountain lion. This retired police officer sounded credible, he was called to an animal hit, discovered it was a mountain lion got on the horn to DEP. They came took it away. Apparently, no report was filed. According to this officer, DEP introduced some lion years ago in NW CT to handle the deer population because hunters alone were not successful. I tend to believe this, as the amount of open space by the Barkhamsted Reservoir and surrounding areas, is enough to support a population of these cats. Remember when bear and moose sightings were considered mistaken identity?
Uhm, no, the Bark ISNT big enough for a breeding population...do you have ANY idea how small CT is, compared to states with minute populations of ML?
ray j

Niantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

Sue wrote:
Could you tell me why DEP will NOT acknoledge the fact that Mountain Lions are here? Nevermind harming your animals, they can harm your children! Is that what it will take before you look into things. It is your job!
WAKE UP!
I believe the DEP released 22 mountain lions to control the deer population. The animals are nutered and spayed. Better to play dumb than be responsible in the event of an attack. Did you think the sudden appearence of Fisher was a natural event. The DEP is playing God.
ray j

Niantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2011

I think the DEP has been intoducing species, (fisher, turkey etc..) as part of a management program. I also have heard that they intoduced 22 cougars, spayed and nutered, with gps trackers. Must be incredibly expensive and what a huge liability to the state if a chid is killed while hiking or mountainbiking. I guess i would play dumb too...
clf

Avon, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2011

My husband and I saw one standing about 10 feet from our car in Avon.
Pete from Bethel

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2011

I am a looking for movie work with a black male cougar
nck

Glastonbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2011

They're here!

Proof posite.

Picture of live one in greenwich, ct
positively id'ed paw print
positively id'ed scat
Picture of dead one in milford ct
body of one in dep

Now, lets debate HOW it got there. I read that CT state police in coop with NY state police are investigating all LEGALLY owned animals to see if one escaped.

My guess..........an illegal pet.
Anonymous

Sandy Hook, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2011

Despite where Topix says I live, we're in Sandy Hook.
We've seen several Mountain Lions -- or some such large cat, I won't argue the exact designation -- over the last 10 years. Friends have photos. Rego wouldn't know a Mountain Lion if it jumped on him.

I'm reminded about how 20 years ago there weren't any "bears" in this part of Connecticut -- until one was killed on I-84 [I believe in Bethel]. Now we have over 400 of them. Likewise for moose! And we now have over 100 of them in the state. Amazing how quickly a large herd of the things is "discovered" as soon as one smashes an automobile.

They'll "discover" a breeding population of "Mountain Lions" living around here somewhere in a few years. Since they now have the carcass it's impossible to say they aren't here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 67 of67
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barkhamsted Discussions

Search the Barkhamsted Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr 13 America Gentleman Samuel 780
Ridgefield looks to renewed Economic Development (Apr '09) Mar '14 Daniel 3
CT Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Connectic... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Enid Schmiege 2,048
CT Who do you support for Attorney General in Conn... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Brigid Doiley 376
CT Who do you support for Treasurer in Connecticut... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Sol Fuentez 97
CT Connecticut Primary Election August 10: Will yo... (Aug '10) Sep '13 Christoper Toliongco 669
CT Who do you support for Secretary of State in Co... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Jarrett Delia 102
•••

Fire Weather Watch for Litchfield County was issued at April 23 at 3:51PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
Barkhamsted Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barkhamsted Jobs

•••
•••