Connecticut Cougars

There are 67 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 6, 2008, titled Connecticut Cougars. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Year-in, year-out, about twice a week on average, the reports come in: Someone claims to have seen a mountain lion somewhere in Connecticut.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
nck

Newington, CT

#62 Sep 8, 2010
Reality Check wrote:
I have spoken with retired police officers, MDC officers, and farmers. We have mountain lion. This retired police officer sounded credible, he was called to an animal hit, discovered it was a mountain lion got on the horn to DEP. They came took it away. Apparently, no report was filed. According to this officer, DEP introduced some lion years ago in NW CT to handle the deer population because hunters alone were not successful. I tend to believe this, as the amount of open space by the Barkhamsted Reservoir and surrounding areas, is enough to support a population of these cats. Remember when bear and moose sightings were considered mistaken identity?
Uhm, no, the Bark ISNT big enough for a breeding population...do you have ANY idea how small CT is, compared to states with minute populations of ML?
ray j

New London, CT

#63 Feb 14, 2011
Sue wrote:
Could you tell me why DEP will NOT acknoledge the fact that Mountain Lions are here? Nevermind harming your animals, they can harm your children! Is that what it will take before you look into things. It is your job!
WAKE UP!
I believe the DEP released 22 mountain lions to control the deer population. The animals are nutered and spayed. Better to play dumb than be responsible in the event of an attack. Did you think the sudden appearence of Fisher was a natural event. The DEP is playing God.
ray j

New London, CT

#64 Feb 14, 2011
I think the DEP has been intoducing species, (fisher, turkey etc..) as part of a management program. I also have heard that they intoduced 22 cougars, spayed and nutered, with gps trackers. Must be incredibly expensive and what a huge liability to the state if a chid is killed while hiking or mountainbiking. I guess i would play dumb too...
clf

Canton, CT

#65 Feb 19, 2011
My husband and I saw one standing about 10 feet from our car in Avon.
Pete from Bethel

Norwalk, CT

#66 Feb 20, 2011
I am a looking for movie work with a black male cougar
nck

Glastonbury, CT

#67 Jun 11, 2011
They're here!

Proof posite.

Picture of live one in greenwich, ct
positively id'ed paw print
positively id'ed scat
Picture of dead one in milford ct
body of one in dep

Now, lets debate HOW it got there. I read that CT state police in coop with NY state police are investigating all LEGALLY owned animals to see if one escaped.

My guess..........an illegal pet.
Anonymous

Trumbull, CT

#68 Jun 12, 2011
Despite where Topix says I live, we're in Sandy Hook.
We've seen several Mountain Lions -- or some such large cat, I won't argue the exact designation -- over the last 10 years. Friends have photos. Rego wouldn't know a Mountain Lion if it jumped on him.

I'm reminded about how 20 years ago there weren't any "bears" in this part of Connecticut -- until one was killed on I-84 [I believe in Bethel]. Now we have over 400 of them. Likewise for moose! And we now have over 100 of them in the state. Amazing how quickly a large herd of the things is "discovered" as soon as one smashes an automobile.

They'll "discover" a breeding population of "Mountain Lions" living around here somewhere in a few years. Since they now have the carcass it's impossible to say they aren't here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barkhamsted Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topless women weekend (Jan '15) Jan '15 Ladonna C 1
shooting in the 1970's (Oct '12) Jul '14 Deb G 3
News Ridgefield looks to renewed Economic Development (Apr '09) Mar '14 Daniel 3
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Connecti... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Amado Sigurdson 14
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Connecticu... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Karena Krapp 20
News CRRA Ordered To Make Payouts To Towns (Dec '07) Sep '13 Dodie Winterfeld 12
News Polling Places (Feb '08) Sep '13 Rueben Rollings 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barkhamsted Mortgages