State's Dairy Problem: Too Many Cows,...

State's Dairy Problem: Too Many Cows, Farms

There are 31 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 21, 2009, titled State's Dairy Problem: Too Many Cows, Farms. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

They say sacred cows make the best hamburger, so here goes: To save Connecticut's dairy industry, we need to slaughter cattle instead of subsidizing farmers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pearley

United States

#22 Apr 8, 2009
I love cows, they're delisious.
NBConservative

Plainville, CT

#23 Apr 9, 2009
glennm69 wrote:
NBConservative is the definition of thw word oxymoron.
Explain.

Since: Sep 08

Joliet, Illinois

#24 Apr 9, 2009
NBConservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain.
NBC are the initials used by the National Broadcasting Corporation which just hap[pens to be the most liberal media organization in the United States.

I tuned into a NBC news program yesterday. The entire focus of the 2 or three minutes I watched was how messed up this country is not to permit gay marraige. NBC more or less officially backs the right for gay people to be married. I got sick and tuned to something else. That is a prime example of why I can say the following.
There is not one single thing conservative about NBC. Hence NBConservative is an oxymoron.
NBConservative

United States

#25 Apr 11, 2009
glennm69 wrote:
<quoted text>
NBC are the initials used by the National Broadcasting Corporation which just hap[pens to be the most liberal media organization in the United States.
I tuned into a NBC news program yesterday. The entire focus of the 2 or three minutes I watched was how messed up this country is not to permit gay marraige. NBC more or less officially backs the right for gay people to be married. I got sick and tuned to something else. That is a prime example of why I can say the following.
There is not one single thing conservative about NBC. Hence NBConservative is an oxymoron.
I'm NB Conservative because I'm from New Britain, Connecticut, not because I ever watch NBC. Fox News is my television source for news. I agree with you; NBC news has completely lost its way, and MSNBC is even worse. I especially love the ironic argument that backers of gay marriage give: if you don't support gay marriage, that makes you a bigot. And yet aren't they just as bigoted against people who hold religious beliefs that gay marriage is not what God intended? I don't care if gays live together or whatever they do, but don't change the definition as it's existed for thousands of years just to appease your own self-interests. I just wish NBC didn't carry the Olympics. I hate giving them any ratings.
Manny

Burlington, VT

#26 Apr 11, 2009
With a surplus of cows you'd think burgers would be cheaper.
72 CAFOs

United States

#27 Apr 11, 2009
I live in Washington State where we have been invaded by Factory Dairy Farms who are destroying our soil, air, health, water and property values. Yakima County has over 72 Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations. One dairy owner is proposing a new 30,000 cow operation near the Tri Cities, WA. Don't let the Dairy Industry fool you about the buy out. They will destroy the beef market, while flooding the meat market with an inferior product paid for by the taxpayers. The Factory Farm dairies are subsidized by you-the taxpayer. We had the "Mad Cow" case near here. The dairies got around testing dead cows by making it legal to bury their dead, sick animals on their own property with only 2 feet of manure under and 3 feet on top. No testing, no enforcement. Some dairies are putting theses carcasses into organic fertilizer and being called "certified organic." We are hearing the same propaganda here. These corporate farms want you to believe they are having a hard time-Boo hoo. The government not only subsidizes them they protect them from being fined from the results of their destroying our area. One local stream has 160 tons of manure a day into the Yakima River(Salmon and Steel head run) yet the 5 dairies responsible have never been fined for their crime against nature. We have no sympathy for these crybaby industrial parasites
72 dairiesYakimaVal leWaSt

United States

#28 Apr 11, 2009
If the cows were on grass it would be healthy. Here, the mega Dairy farms have destroyed our water air and soil. We had "mad Cow" here. A school well was polluted. These mega daires have become the new "Mafia." They only care about money and all the government subsidies they are getting.
georgiev

Sofia, Bulgaria

#29 Apr 23, 2009
Sale of promotional price-farm buffaloes
Owner-legal person registered for VAT.
In deed consists of 5 one massive buildings / kravarnitsi / respectively, with built-up area: 870m2, 963m2, 887m2, 906m2, 935m2, 180m2 block milk / two storage facilities for raw materials and bathroom bitovka; milk solid building block -85m2, 613m2, her two labor rooms and room for staff telcharnik-844m2telcharnik-hei fers-385m2, 901m2, metal shed, balance-49m2; trafopost with aggregate-14m2; bit building-116m2, 231m2 cow-TOTAL-up AREA-7979M2, all built on an adjacent area of 107.75 acres;
Active state-building is one in which there vakumprovodi-State Educational Requirements to churn.
Stay in her cell-free doors.
In other buildings are the foundation / uleite / fertilizer lenti.Yaslite reserved.
All buildings with land sold for 750,000 euros from 94 evro/m2 area.
Is entitled to 1.5 million euros of EU subsidies for the restoration of buildings.
Has a contract to lease 1978 acres of pasture from the State Land Fund. Pasture and processing properties are about 5 kilometers from the farm that may be ADDITIONAL RENT.
Sold 78 buffaloes and 2 bika price of 800 ea.
Farm work 4 skilled.
The property is mortgaged for 130,000-euro monthly fee is 2950 euro / month and are paid regularly.
In the territory of the farm year-round air passes light breeze, which allows for the construction of wind combined with photovoltaic batteries that can provide elenergiya for farm and for sale.
[email protected]
Shykora Us 3

Calgary, Canada

#30 Apr 28, 2009
..Long live THE fARMERs',tooooooo boooot...eh...yada u...The hilbilly farmboy has spoken...now still ..yodeling...
teresa L

Steubenville, OH

#31 May 2, 2009
I think it is a case of humans destroying our land. I have a question. If you would divide all the large dairies into smaller dairies, say a 3000 cow dairy into 30 100 size dairies, isn't that the same amount of cows producing the same amount of milk and manure? Larger dairies tend to be more efficient, using less utilities, and producing for a very large urban population.

If a farm pollutes they should be fined the same as if a waste treatment plant spills its treated water. Small or large. Don't put everyone in the same basket. There will always be incompetent farmers. The majority of farmers are stewards of their land. They have to be to pass the farm down to future generation. I would rather be in the company of cows that fart and belch than humans riding in cars and using chemicals to fertilize their lawns. Oh did you know that a good portion of pollution to our water ways is dog and cat poo?

You do not get "mad cow" from milk. Your change of "getting mad cow" is probably the same as having world peace. Slim to none.
R_I_P

Glastonbury, CT

#32 May 2, 2009
When people saturate their lawns with chemicals so they can have nice, but useless, fake green lawns where do you think all that chemical laden run-off goes? Enjoy your next tall, cool glass of chem water!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barkhamsted Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Home rentals 6-700. range (Nov '16) Nov '16 samsdamantha 1
News Towers Expected To Help Fill Cellphone Gaps (Jul '06) Jun '16 bill 3
News Alleged victim recounts sexual assault in '90s (Apr '08) Apr '16 cops are degenerates 84
News 2 Left Feet Blues Festival At Powder Ridge (Oct '15) Oct '15 bill 1
Topless women weekend (Jan '15) Jan '15 Ladonna C 1
News Ridgefield looks to renewed Economic Development (Apr '09) Mar '14 Daniel 3
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Connecti... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Amado Sigurdson 14

Barkhamsted Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barkhamsted Mortgages