Plan Would Put Collinsville Dams Back To Work

Full story: Hartford Courant

Waste gate controls sit idle and are covered with snow at the upper dam and powerhouse on the Farmington River in Collinsville, unused and deteriorating since they ceased producing power in the 1960s.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of112
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Keith J Robbins

Naugatuck, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

This is a for profit venture, if a private company were going to do this they would have to raise capital. That being said public funds from sources other than Canton should not be used. Good luck with the DEP and EPA.
Bill

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Why would you need "legislation"? I can see permits being required.$8-!0 million seems low, especially if fish ladders need to be built. A great idea, though. Needs professional study and cost estimate. Go to Iceland to see excellent hydro-electric power facilities. Many un-manned. Monitored and operated by remote control.
UNCLE SAM IS BACK

Webster, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Conn originaly built its prosperity on hydro power my god this state is riddled with these dams we could cut our import of electricity by 30%
Borris Badenov

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Bill wrote:
Why would you need "legislation"? I can see permits being required.$8-!0 million seems low,
That's just for legal fees to fight the NIMBYs and BANANAs. They're already getting organized.
Bulls-eye BIlly

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Borris Badenov wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just for legal fees to fight the NIMBYs and BANANAs. They're already getting organized.
Right on - and the fact that the GOVERNMENT will have to grant a license, grant permits, and by the time it is done, 10 million will seem like a drop in the bucket.- exactly why the dams were not revitalized in the 70's - for a project that is almost all already there.
no common sense
Old Navy Gunner

New Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Rainbow dam ,way down the Farmington, were built to promote salmon fishing. The very few salmon, perhaps 50-60 a year are trapped and transported by truck to hatcheries. This salmon program has cost millions a year for 25 years and has produced zilch. Time to stop wasting money on it!!!!!
doug

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

I don't see any reason not to get this done. If the money can't come from grants, make it a loan. The revenue would seem to pay pay the loan in not too many years.

We should be looking at all sources of energy like this throughout the state. Why build expensive nuclear plants, windmills, import expensive Canadian power etc. when we already have power sources here in CT. Every little bit helps.
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

First, a Selectman in a small town has no business being in charge of a hydroelectric dam. Who in Canton is qualified for this work?

Second, I agree with the above posters. This is an excellent idea, if the right operations manager is chosen. DEP needs to wave the fish ladders. There are none there now, why is this an issue? Does anyone have existing condition in their vocabulary anymore?

Third, just get it done, wave all public hearings by state statute. This is the primary reasons why our energy is sky high.

And to the poster above, about New Zealand, they do not have our Environmental or Safety laws. This is how countries like New Zealand and China are able to just go and put in dams. I am not saying this is right either, because virgin environments have been damaged, forever.
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Old Navy Gunner wrote:
Rainbow dam ,way down the Farmington, were built to promote salmon fishing. The very few salmon, perhaps 50-60 a year are trapped and transported by truck to hatcheries. This salmon program has cost millions a year for 25 years and has produced zilch. Time to stop wasting money on it!!!!!
Thank you for your service to our country.

Go Army beat Navy...HooRah!
Cost effective

Old Lyme, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

What the courant fails to mention is how long it will take for the taxpayers to get their money back. By taxpayers I mean all taxpayers, federal and state.
Is it 5 years or 50 or 500years before this project actually becomes cost effective?
Just because the government is willing to spend money, doesn't always mean that it should...
Topper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Borris Badenov wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you must be prescient. So tell us: who in Canton, Avon, or Burlington is "getting organized" to oppose this? And why?
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Topper wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you must be prescient. So tell us: who in Canton, Avon, or Burlington is "getting organized" to oppose this? And why?
Oh just wait, Trout Unlimited, Farmington River Watershed Association, I guarantee a grass roots group will be formed.
Dave

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

With an existing dam already in place, this is a great place to generate electricity. It should have minimal inpact that the DEP or EPA can object to. Diversify our energy sources to include more hydro generation and less carbon burning sources is a win-win. We should add more hydro producing capabilities to any existing dam.
Anon

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

What hasn't been mentioned in the article is that under current renewable legislation a hydro generator using a dam is not eligible for renewable certification. The renewable laws only recognize "run of the river" facilities as hydro renewable. If this facility is restored and continues to use the dam, it will not be certifiable.
Ian

Winsted, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

This one really is a no-brainer. The dams are there, the power houses are there... I can see no environmental damage from running the water through a turbine rather than over the dam, and a positive benefit if fish ladders are installed. Plus generating no-carbon, no waste power.

Now if the various so-called 'green' groups would get behind the project a boost it, wouldn't that be lovely! One can dream...
Bill Sullivan

Suffield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Good to read about forward-thinking Green projects. Please keep it up. In fact, could you create a new category on your main page: CT Green news?

Great graphic image, too, on how a turbine works!
Good Greef

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

I expect at some point, perhaps quietly, those who use oil to power generators that produce electricity will get involved to find a way to halt this. If word got out that a natural resource could take away from the oil fired turbines that are used in the North east, it would damage the oil companies pockets. for years the oil companies have been able to put restraints on wind and solar development!

I for one, hope this Canton idea spreads!
Dan G

Southold, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Don't forget the fish ladder when you refurbish the dams.
Great Idea for Collinsville Dam
Psychotic Hamster

Mystic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

I support this project only if it does not rais taxes. I am already near a point of having to move out because of the money that is removed from my pocket.
Blorf

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

Good Greef wrote:
I expect at some point, perhaps quietly, those who use oil to power generators that produce electricity will get involved to find a way to halt this. If word got out that a natural resource could take away from the oil fired turbines that are used in the North east, it would damage the oil companies pockets. for years the oil companies have been able to put restraints on wind and solar development!
I for one, hope this Canton idea spreads!
Excellent point. For those that DO know their history, this has been tried before only to be mysteriously shut down! To those that check this as wrong or clueless...check your history!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of112
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barkhamsted Discussions

Search the Barkhamsted Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
shooting in the 1970's (Oct '12) Jul 7 Deb G 3
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 America Gentleman Samuel 780
Ridgefield looks to renewed Economic Development (Apr '09) Mar '14 Daniel 3
CT Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Connectic... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Enid Schmiege 2,048
CT Who do you support for Attorney General in Conn... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Brigid Doiley 375
CT Who do you support for Treasurer in Connecticut... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Sol Fuentez 97
CT Connecticut Primary Election August 10: Will yo... (Aug '10) Sep '13 Christoper Toliongco 669
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barkhamsted Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barkhamsted People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••