First Prev
of 4
Next Last
drbanana2

AOL

#1 Aug 4, 2010
anyone remember any of the cornbread mafia ....some members live in or used to live in bardstown area

Since: Mar 10

Bardstown, KY

#2 Aug 4, 2010
hell yeah!!! Believe it or not, I did an essay/speech on it in college at UK.....took in a Cornbread Mafia T-shirt for a display and everything. The class loved it!!

However, the teacher pull me aside afterward and asked how I knew so much about it. lol!!!
ohmy

Bardstown, KY

#3 Aug 4, 2010
Wow, are you trying to open a can of worms or what? This ought to be fun to watch!
drbanana2

AOL

#4 Aug 4, 2010
no no no
it has been a long time since the good ole boys in the nelson marion and other rural counties in kentucky had their 15 minutes of fame.
anyone remember the brady brothers that went to Lexington to do time on this?
i am just trying to do a little research on this story.
we more than likely have some common friends

Bardstown, KY

#5 Aug 4, 2010
I knew many people that served time for it. With the exception of the Bickett boys from Raywick, I think most are out. I could be wrong though. My dad even saved the little booklet that came inside the Sunday edition of the Courier Juornal that was wholly dedicated to the Cornbread Mafia....I used it as a reference as well. I looked for it 7-8 years ago and never could find it. They busted CM members in Michigan or Minnesota at a farm up there that had 68 DUMPTRUCK loads!!!!!! To blend in, the DEA agents hid in the back of a horse trailer but when they drove over the little bridge, the alarm was set off and everyone scattered. Most were caught at the scene but one was caught a couple days later walking down a cold, snowy interstate up there. Cop pulled over, asked where he was from. When he said KY, he said "Get in". They were pretty clever about everything posing as husband and wife, etc but they got busted b/c they used their real social security numbers when they bought the farm. When they were traced back to KY, that's when the investigation really began.

Since: Jul 10

AOL

#6 Aug 4, 2010
FYI ..i would love to see what you have from the courier about the cornbread mafia

i did time in lexington with a couple of guys from bardstown area. it was a federal place and best i can remember their last name was Brady.... one played the harmonica like a champ....just wondering how they are doing ..any info would be great - thanks
Bornanbread

Bardstown, KY

#7 Aug 4, 2010
Lot's of my family involved in this, some only for a little while. Others still doing Federal time because they weren't smart enough to go legit. I have travelled extensively and almost everywhere that I go people still ask me about Kentucky marijuana once they find out that I am from here.
4th Generation Local

Louisville, KY

#8 Aug 4, 2010
Zoomie

Lynn, UK

#9 Aug 4, 2010
I'm originally from Kentucky and when I tell people about this...they do all they can to keep from laughing...I'm like look you need to go look this up...that was some serious stuff at the time, still is far as I'm concerned...Also the Bluegrass Conspiracy is a good read as well...Both should be made into movies
billybob

Bardstown, KY

#10 Aug 4, 2010
So what do they call what is going on now? Gotta be something like Corrupted Cop Central or something.
You gotta know that the mission is still alive but under another divisions control. Nelson County is not the Pot County of Kentucky for nothin!
american fool

United States

#11 Aug 4, 2010
they will never stop it , to many smart people
margaret

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Aug 4, 2010

Hormonica player..David Duley, The best

“ spring is here”

Since: Jan 10

Georgetown, KY

#13 Aug 4, 2010
The most notorious in the cbm is Johnny Boone."Run Johnny run" Lebanon Forum has an extensive thread on Cbm. It tells a lot of names. I remember at Hillsinke they would have a harvest party every fall.It lasted all night.

Bardstown, KY

#14 Aug 4, 2010
up late_ wrote:
The most notorious in the cbm is Johnny Boone."Run Johnny run" Lebanon Forum has an extensive thread on Cbm. It tells a lot of names. I remember at Hillsinke they would have a harvest party every fall.It lasted all night.
It was called the Helsinki Jam and it was on the Taylor's old property I think (belongs to Hite's now). Last one was in 78 or 79 I think. It wasn't all night...it was all weekend.

And you are correct about Johnny Boone...he was the top guy. Kinda obvious when you have a guy riding around in a new Cadillac in little-bitty-broke-as-hell Raywick in the late 70's.
american fool

United States

#15 Aug 4, 2010
awesome memories too

AOL

#16 Aug 4, 2010
wow david duely.....that was him!!!!
we both did time at FCI LEX in 88 and 89 ....

my crew was mostly out of louisville and shelbyville area....not growers but importers....

back when the country was strong...
im glad people are reading this post and sharing
i thought it would perk some ears ..keep running with it

AOL

#17 Aug 4, 2010
oh and by the way ....i also knew members in the lexington area that were involved with drew thornton who was a main player in the bluegrass conspiracy... john y brown jr ..lance alworth former dallas cowboy..there were lots of others involved..... just like in our deal....most were small business owners of successful places here in town.(louisville)
one day i will write a book....it will be a great read because it was an exciting era when smugglers and hustlers had an edge.
sure wouldnt want to try doing it again in todays world of technology/satellite tracking/gps/communication intrusion/carnivore reading bots....
citizen

United States

#18 Aug 5, 2010
You sound like your some kind of hero or do-gooder but marijuana is a gateway drug, how can you be proud of contributing the deaths and ruined lives, giving this stuff to children all to feed your greed.You talk about being an importer, people are dying everyday in Mexico because of the drugs you import and now its spilling over the border into the US and Americans are dying. When your time comes in the end, there will be a special place for people like you in hell. God help you.
Oh my

Fairport, NY

#19 Aug 5, 2010
i know alot about both stories. Had a few family members involved. To citizen- He isnt bragging. Its a part of our history that everyone needs to know about.
WTF

Santa Clara, CA

#20 Aug 5, 2010
why are we glorifying organized crime?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bardstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min Old Vet 5,319
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Cornelius Scudmister 153,927
Tracy Hilliard 2 hr The baddest bitch 1
Single moms 4 hr Tom Thumb 21
abusive men 4 hr Tom Thumb 5
Peter Trzop will be the next County Judge Execu... 7 hr FYI 30
No caller Id phone calls late 7 hr Yo mama 1
•••
•••

Bardstown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Bardstown People Search