Disability Advise
Karen

Brownsville, TN

#1 May 29, 2014
My question is retaining to a disability claim I recently filed for my husband he has cancer I also draw disability and have since becoming disabled my question can my husband have property in his name that was given to him by his mom but their is another home on the land that's on HUD section 8 : we also own our home I did not turn this in to social security as I should have by their rules and did not have knowledge that I was to do that : so now he's trying to get ssi that's what the lady sat the social security office said he was better off to apply for he became disabled January of this year with the cancer that contributes to him not being able to work but the home that was given to him is worth a little money but in a bad location not that it matters but the other home on the land is being rented out should. He put the homes in his older sons name should he sell the home we're not up to date on this and want to be honest as we can be when they meaning the social security office sees what the home is with will they turn him down when making a decision on his claim with me drawing also we have children as well thanks for any advise or info on this and no smart comments this is my first time on here asking for anything but I've read some post and people can be mean I'm not asking for bread !! Just advise from someone smarter on this than me :: thanks for taking time to read this !!
SisterGoldenHair

United States

#2 May 29, 2014
If the house is in his son's name then there's nothing to be worried about. If he sells the house then the money would definitely be a stumbling block. A friend of mine was denied because he had more than two thousand dollars in the bank when he applied.
money matters

Lakewood, WA

#3 Jun 1, 2014
Karen wrote:
My question is retaining to a disability claim I recently filed for my husband he has cancer I also draw disability and have since becoming disabled my question can my husband have property in his name that was given to him by his mom but their is another home on the land that's on HUD section 8 : we also own our home I did not turn this in to social security as I should have by their rules and did not have knowledge that I was to do that : so now he's trying to get ssi that's what the lady sat the social security office said he was better off to apply for he became disabled January of this year with the cancer that contributes to him not being able to work but the home that was given to him is worth a little money but in a bad location not that it matters but the other home on the land is being rented out should. He put the homes in his older sons name should he sell the home we're not up to date on this and want to be honest as we can be when they meaning the social security office sees what the home is with will they turn him down when making a decision on his claim with me drawing also we have children as well thanks for any advise or info on this and no smart comments this is my first time on here asking for anything but I've read some post and people can be mean I'm not asking for bread !! Just advise from someone smarter on this than me :: thanks for taking time to read this !!
If you have assets worth more than two thousand dollars then you might get turned down. If you can trust the son not to mess over you, then you could sell him both houses for a few dollars so they are not in your or your husbands name. You are only allowed to have two thousand dollars between both of you to collect disability. If you have property or own any cars or trucks that are worth over that amount then you will have to get them out of your names to collect or continue to collect your disability. If the SS Dept. finds out that you didn't claim any of your property then they will deny your husbands claim and yours and you will never be able to file or collect, ever.
SisterGoldenHair

United States

#4 Jun 1, 2014
money matters wrote:
<quoted text>If you have assets worth more than two thousand dollars then you might get turned down. If you can trust the son not to mess over you, then you could sell him both houses for a few dollars so they are not in your or your husbands name. You are only allowed to have two thousand dollars between both of you to collect disability. If you have property or own any cars or trucks that are worth over that amount then you will have to get them out of your names to collect or continue to collect your disability. If the SS Dept. finds out that you didn't claim any of your property then they will deny your husbands claim and yours and you will never be able to file or collect, ever.
You can have a car and house but they can't be worth more than a predetermined amount.
Well

Orlando, KY

#5 Jun 1, 2014
Karen wrote:
When you say disability do you get social security or ssi and the same with him.. Which did he sign up for?
Alice

Brownsville, TN

#6 Jun 22, 2014
I think you can put a home or land in a child's name or adult name is you're son is of age I don't know how much land or how much property you can own before you can be approved my husband owned his before we got married I draw disability he don't he also own another home he got after we married

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 min usa 163,763
Sallie broughton 17 min The big D 1
Brian napier (Mar '11) 21 min Cockjuice 4
Judy Scott 31 min The Real Yeti 11
Sherry. Messer 36 min The Real Yeti 3
ginseng 37 min The Real Yeti 9
Darren k West Voted Knox co Biggest FOOL ! 53 min Joke 33
jerry garlands estate (Jun '11) Mon Wondering 40

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web