First Prev
of 6
Next Last
I dont think so

London, KY

#101 Apr 9, 2011
fellowteacher wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN! ppl have no idea what teachers go through...as far as being over paid, what planet r u living on? if anything, teachers do not get paid enough.
Well, I have to comment on this. I wished I had a job that I was off all summer. Also, one that I was off on Weekends, holidays, and snow days, when it is too hot or too cold. I mean come on.
Come on Down

London, KY

#102 Apr 10, 2011
flat lick has 10 kids in each room. There is plenty of room for dewitt kids.
downtown

London, KY

#103 Apr 10, 2011
I've had teachers tell my kid when he asks for help with a problem to ask your parents when you get home go sit back down.well thats why i'm sending them to school and why i'm paying taxes for is for the teacher to help him with his problem.If i'm going to teach him then when my property taxes arrive and has 6 hundred dallor just for school taxes then i'm not paying that part or all the other bills you get with school tax.everything you pay has school tax so how is it schools don't have money.And i want the same pay as the teachers.I'm not saying parents shouldnt help i'm just saying when a kid asks a teacher for help she or he shouldn't just say ask you parents go sit back down.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#104 Apr 10, 2011
downtown wrote:
I've had teachers tell my kid when he asks for help with a problem to ask your parents when you get home go sit back down.well thats why i'm sending them to school and why i'm paying taxes for is for the teacher to help him with his problem.If i'm going to teach him then when my property taxes arrive and has 6 hundred dallor just for school taxes then i'm not paying that part or all the other bills you get with school tax.everything you pay has school tax so how is it schools don't have money.And i want the same pay as the teachers.I'm not saying parents shouldnt help i'm just saying when a kid asks a teacher for help she or he shouldn't just say ask you parents go sit back down.
"well thats why i'm sending them to school and why i'm paying taxes for is for the teacher to help him with his problem."

And is why so many kids are in the situation they are in... Want a kid to excel in school.. Teach Them before they ever go to schools and do not let Someone Else be the Only teacher they ever know of.
hmmmm

Middlesboro, KY

#105 Apr 10, 2011
i will say that the problem is a combination of both teachers and parents. I will add that not all knox county teachers are bad, some do try. however I have been a student in knox county schools and school systems out of state. the teachers in the other schools actually taught us. example - high school business classes. at one school out of state, we were TAUGHT in our accounting class ... when i moved here, our teacher let us play computer games while he napped and we had gotten an A. I had other teachers that would let us slide by, very FEW in this area would challenge you.
Any caring parent should also be involved in their child's education... help them with their homework if they need it, ask what they have learned, etc. i think that a lot of the parents here that argue that they aren't responsible for helping their child to learn are wrong ... they are your child. you should be involved. Maybe they don't because their school system has failed them and they are not able to do so ...
Crazymom24

Sheridan, AR

#106 Apr 10, 2011
I dont think so wrote:
<quoted text> Well, I have to comment on this. I wished I had a job that I was off all summer. Also, one that I was off on Weekends, holidays, and snow days, when it is too hot or too cold. I mean come on.
Then go to school, pay thousands of dollars in tuition, get 3 degrees before you can make decent money, and then get a job teaching. Before everyone is so quick to judge teachers, they should work a day in their place and actually do just the teaching, not to mention the paper work, bulletin boards, and all the other work that is required by the KCBOE. We would go completely insane without some time off. If you don't think teaching is hard try going and volunteering in your child's classroom for a day.
Crazymom24

Sheridan, AR

#107 Apr 10, 2011
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that you are better than someone on welfare? That is how Im interpreting your statement. I think I resent you for writing that. You have no idea what people on welfare go through either, and I will guarantee its much more of a hardship than you have ever had to deal with. Do you teach your students to stereotype people in your classes? You know, Im so tired of all this self-righteous thank a teacher bullshit. Guess what, youre not really all that important in real life. I work and pay taxes too BTW, including your salary so do yourself a favor and STFU.
I am not any better than anyone, but I do my job and I don't appreciate people saying that "all teachers" get a check for doing nothing. Welfare wasn't even mentioned in my other comment. I was talking about people who "claim" to be disabled and are younger and more capable of working than most others and get on here and put down the very people who are trying to help their children become responsible memebers of society. I wasn't raised in a wealthy home and had to work from the time I was 13 years old, so I think people should work for a living and stop blaming everyone else for their problems.
central e

Hazard, KY

#108 Apr 14, 2011
My kid come home from scool to day and saidd techer sad. He said that he went to her desk and ask why you sad. He said she said she sad cause of her job. Then she turned on tv and left room. Why wuld teacher cry over job? Why want she teach my kid? I went to scool ther and want my kid to do best.
Cent parent

Manchester, KY

#109 Apr 15, 2011
My kid came home from scool to day and saidd techer not ther. He said that sub said she tekin her sik day she gone next ear aint got no job no more. Why she not ther teching my kid? I wwent school ther and want best for my kid.
downtown

London, KY

#110 Apr 15, 2011
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"well thats why i'm sending them to school and why i'm paying taxes for is for the teacher to help him with his problem."
And is why so many kids are in the situation they are in... Want a kid to excel in school.. Teach Them before they ever go to schools and do not let Someone Else be the Only teacher they ever know of.
If i could teach i'd be a teacher now wouldn't i.If parents could teach them then why send them to school and pay taxes and teachers.They getting paid to teach so let them do their job.
This is appalling

Barbourville, KY

#111 Apr 15, 2011
downtown wrote:
<quoted text>If i could teach i'd be a teacher now wouldn't i.If parents could teach them then why send them to school and pay taxes and teachers.They getting paid to teach so let them do their job.
No, I don't think you would be a teacher. That would require you actually putting forth some effort to do something. Obviously, you don't believe in that or you wouldn't be so opposed to helping your child learn. I have to say that is one of the most ignorant attitudes I've ever seen. The idea that a parent does nothing at all to help their child be successful in school is absolutely appalling. Their children ought to be taken from them. Parents are their children's first and most important teachers. They learn more in the first five years of their life than they will the rest of their life. If a child does not attend school until kindergarten, and their parents have never bothered to teach them anything, then where does that leave them? Apparently, that's not important though. It's not your job, is it? I just wonder what exactly is your job? I find it hard to believe you have any job actually. Intelligent, working people generally have better sense, and most of them actually value education. They are concerned for their children and want them to succeed in school and grow into successful adults. Knox County is so full of ignorant "that ain't my job" people though. Most of them probably dont have a job at all and dont want one. It's positively appalling. You ought to be doing everything you can to help your children. Why in the world would you not want to do that?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Russell Springs, KY

#112 Apr 16, 2011
This is appalling wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't think you would be a teacher. That would require you actually putting forth some effort to do something. Obviously, you don't believe in that or you wouldn't be so opposed to helping your child learn. I have to say that is one of the most ignorant attitudes I've ever seen. The idea that a parent does nothing at all to help their child be successful in school is absolutely appalling. Their children ought to be taken from them. Parents are their children's first and most important teachers. They learn more in the first five years of their life than they will the rest of their life. If a child does not attend school until kindergarten, and their parents have never bothered to teach them anything, then where does that leave them? Apparently, that's not important though. It's not your job, is it? I just wonder what exactly is your job? I find it hard to believe you have any job actually. Intelligent, working people generally have better sense, and most of them actually value education. They are concerned for their children and want them to succeed in school and grow into successful adults. Knox County is so full of ignorant "that ain't my job" people though. Most of them probably dont have a job at all and dont want one. It's positively appalling. You ought to be doing everything you can to help your children. Why in the world would you not want to do that?
You are absolutely correct... It does not matter how much effort a teacher puts forth it will do no good if the student has a Who Cares anti educational mindset. Parents that raise their kid never reading to them, never getting them interested in learning all they can before they ever enter a school they most often could care less about what a teacher tries to teach them.

Kids reading this see Parents saying nasty and derogatory comments about their teachers , More than likely those same Parents do the same while at home with the kids sitting watching Reality TV , not doing home work, playing video games, Sexting while the folks sit around bitching about how bad the educational system is because their wonderful kids are flunking every class, can't read and regularly cuss out their teachers...
downtown

London, KY

#113 Apr 18, 2011
This is appalling wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know shit i help my kid all i know how.YOU must be a teacher holding up for yourself.Do your jobs.If i was a teacher i'd be teaching.But i help my kids on what i know.We pay the teachers to teach them what we can not.IF not then we all should just keep our kids home .
Hummmm

Duluth, GA

#116 Dec 8, 2013
I've dated a couple teachers and I for one know that they are defiantly over worked and under paid. I have a lot of respect for teachers and wouldn't have there job if it paid a hundred grand a yr. with the way most parents are breathing down there throats every time they say one thing out of the way to there spoiled child. Teachers can't be teachers and teach anymore. Spare the rod spoil the child comes into play here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sabrina corey 14 min Katty_Kit 2
Kim bingham 1 hr who 19
UPS drop box in B'ville? 3 hr Big Brown 8
ralph smith 3 hr Ted 7
dollar store Robbery flat lick 6 hr Crazy 11
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 hr spaceship 136,050
carla davis (Nov '12) 9 hr Jim 39
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]