Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1076 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Time Traveler

Paducah, KY

#1788 May 28, 2014
Interesting little story in the Hopkinsville Kentuckian of 100 years ago today, May 28, 1914.

25 graduates of the 8th grade took the admission test to enter high school in Christian county. Only 20 of them passed.

At the time Christian county had about 10,000 children between the ages of 6 and 19. This mean that, if their ages were evenly distributed, about 830 graduated from the 8th grade in 1914. Yet only 25 took the admission test to go to high school, and only 20 passed.
lol

Twinsburg, OH

#1789 May 28, 2014
you're weird
lol

Twinsburg, OH

#1790 May 28, 2014
your test is too complicated lol.
lol

Twinsburg, OH

#1791 May 28, 2014
btw i mean weird in a good way ;)
I passed

United States

#1792 May 28, 2014
Well not really but I got one right
Yep

Stanford, KY

#1793 May 30, 2014
Sure I can.
Democrats know best

Smyrna, TN

#1795 May 31, 2014
Why not just make the test easier so that more people would pass and make high scores?

It's not complicated people!

Always vote democrat to keep the good times going!!!
Thinker

Cadiz, KY

#1799 Jun 4, 2014
Democrats know best wrote:
Why not just make the test easier so that more people would pass and make high scores?
Why not make every kid that finishes 8th grade take and pass an admission test before they can enroll in high school?

It would eliminate all the rock heads that are there just taking up space, disrupting, and making life miserable for the smart kids who really want to learn.
flunked

Manchester, UK

#1801 Jun 5, 2014
TopMod15 wrote:
Not as easy as it sounds
dang i flunked it
Fact

United States

#1802 Jun 5, 2014
Democrats know best wrote:
Actually, Democrats and liberals are generally more educated that knee jerk Republican Tea Party psychotics such as yourself...as your off topic post proves.
wallon

Camby, IN

#1803 Jun 5, 2014
TopMod15 wrote:
Not as easy as it sounds
Nope it's difficult.
old guy

Minneapolis, MN

#1804 Jun 5, 2014
Too bad our kids today don't receive the same quality education.
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#1805 Jun 5, 2014
old guy wrote:
Too bad our kids today don't receive the same quality education.
You are either badly misinformed about education in Kentucky a century ago or you are an idiot.

This pertains to Trigg County, but the pattern of the law was the same in every Kentucky county:

Acts of the General Assembly of Kentucky (1902), Chapter 106, An Act to amend an act, entitled "An Act to organize, establish and incorporate the Cadiz High School..." p. 233

"Each justice of the peace [magistrate]... shall have the power to appoint one...white child in the county, who shall be permitted to attend said school free of tuition...for a session of ten months and may be re-appointed for three consecutive years thereafter. But if there be more than one applicant to any justice for appointment they shall stand a competitive examination...and the applicant with the higher grade shall entitled to the appointment."

In 1902 there were about 3,500 school age white children in Trigg County living outside of the Cadiz city limits. Something like 425 finished the 8th grade each year. There were 7 magisterial districts. According to this law, with each magistrate appointing 1 new student per year, meaning that only 28 of the county children could go to high school.
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#1806 Jun 5, 2014
Some enlightening reading for anybody who thinks the quality of education was "better" a hundred years ago.

http://books.google.ca/books...
Based on what

Danville, KY

#1810 Jun 9, 2014
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Democrats and liberals are generally more educated that knee jerk Republican Tea Party psychotics such as yourself...as your off topic post proves.
site your source please
angel

Versailles, KY

#1813 Jun 10, 2014
we really are dumbing down society.
Retired Farmer

Paducah, KY

#1814 Jun 10, 2014
angel wrote:
we really are dumbing down society.
That is a popular myth, but totally wrong.

Americans are better educated today than ever before in our history. At the time of the Civil War something like 40 percent of all white Americans were illiterate. A hundred years ago about 1 in 5 men drafted into the U.S. Army for World War 1 were illiterate. Most of those who did go to school never went past the 8th grade. That remained true of the South until about the time of World War 2.

Today almost all go to school for at least 12 years. Illiteracy is almost zero.
lol

London, KY

#1815 Jun 10, 2014
I can pass it
Failed it

Indianapolis, IN

#1816 Jun 10, 2014
Dale wrote:
So true.
Dang that's harder than I expected.
lol

Owensboro, KY

#1822 Jun 11, 2014
no

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diagnostic Review Kelly Doesnt have capacity 12 min Well well 39
Princess Hey (Mar '12) 36 min jlynxx 9
Hampton funarel home what's up 40 min angie 6
looking for scott parrott 46 min I do not 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr LMS 148,314
What happen on rt11 3 hr justme 24
Vehicle break ins going on 4 hr Victim 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages