Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1...

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

There are 1075 comments on the politix.topix.com story from Aug 13, 2013, titled Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Slim Shady

Madisonville, KY

#1261 Nov 19, 2013
***** NEWS FLASH ***** It's 2013-14 get with
the program
Historical Society

Hopkinsville, KY

#1262 Nov 19, 2013
Slim Shady wrote:
***** NEWS FLASH ***** It's 2013-14 get with
the program
And what is the program?-arrogant ignorance of basic arithmetic, history, English grammar, and basic mechanics? Basically an "I know how to push the buttons" system in which nobody knows what's behind the buttons?
Tough

Greenville, KY

#1263 Nov 19, 2013
Great point!!!!!!
Haha

Owensboro, KY

#1264 Nov 19, 2013
Historical Society wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is the program?-arrogant ignorance of basic arithmetic, history, English grammar, and basic mechanics? Basically an "I know how to push the buttons" system in which nobody knows what's behind the buttons?
I doubt you're going to get a more detailed response from a moron that can only reply with "get with the program" and needs two guesses on what year they're living in.
I blame

Campton, KY

#1266 Nov 20, 2013
diversity
Historical Society

Paducah, KY

#1267 Nov 20, 2013
I blame wrote:
diversity
And just what is that comment supposed to mean?

The U.S.A. was more diverse in 1912 than it is today. A larger percentage of its people were foreign born then than now.
Tough

Greenville, KY

#1269 Nov 20, 2013
Unfortunately you are correct, especially politically where we have become so hyper partisan there is little left in the middle, similar to our evolving socioeconomics.
Historical Society

Paducah, KY

#1270 Nov 20, 2013
Tough wrote:
Unfortunately you are correct, especially politically where we have become so hyper partisan there is little left in the middle, similar to our evolving socioeconomics.
Funny thing about the far Right in America today: They look back to and idealize a historical past that never existed.

Today's so-called "conservatives" are waging the same fight (and basing their arguments on the same historically disproven mid-19th century socio-economic theories) now that the old "classical liberals" (whose ideas were identical to those of today's American "conservatives" minus the modern American conservatives embrace of theocracy and militarism) lost to the Progressives 100 years ago.

Their ideas about public schools are right out of the writings of a self-important Shakespearean critic turned politic hack named Richard Grant White. Their thinking is just as batshit crazy as his was.

Go back and read the Hopkinsville Kentuckian from the 1880s to 1914. You will see the "conservatives" who then called themselves "liberals" waging the exact same arguments as the Right does today. Be it about taxes, spending on public works (the big argument then was about building good roads), and whether or not to have a free public high school open to all, it was the exact same argument.
Tough

Greenville, KY

#1273 Nov 21, 2013
Great post
Conservative

Frankfort, KY

#1274 Nov 21, 2013
Historical Society wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing about the far Right in America today: They look back to and idealize a historical past that never existed.
Today's so-called "conservatives" are waging the same fight (and basing their arguments on the same historically disproven mid-19th century socio-economic theories) now that the old "classical liberals" (whose ideas were identical to those of today's American "conservatives" minus the modern American conservatives embrace of theocracy and militarism) lost to the Progressives 100 years ago.
Their ideas about public schools are right out of the writings of a self-important Shakespearean critic turned politic hack named Richard Grant White. Their thinking is just as batshit crazy as his was.
Go back and read the Hopkinsville Kentuckian from the 1880s to 1914. You will see the "conservatives" who then called themselves "liberals" waging the exact same arguments as the Right does today. Be it about taxes, spending on public works (the big argument then was about building good roads), and whether or not to have a free public high school open to all, it was the exact same argument.
Lots of words there to make little to no points. I really admire your use of multi-syllable words to obfuscate the lack of substance. Nice touch.

Everyone wants to scream the whole separation of church and state, which never actually exists anywhere in the Constitution. Those words simply do not exists, they are a fabrication of liberals. The only reference is that, paraphrased, the US is not to promote a central church or official church of the US. This is exactly what we were escaping form England. No where is there an exclusion of God in the Constitution.

If you look at some of our most basic laws, they are very much in harmony with the 10 commandments. Murder, theft, adultery, etc. If all these ideals are antiquated, lets remove the laws that punish for these "Ungodly" acts. I mean, we do not want ANY God in government, right?

Expand on White's The Public-School Failure and modern conservatives. You really made no points there. Compare and contrast White and conservatives and where it is crazy.

You have demonstrated the common knowledge that conservatives and liberals have flipped views throughout history. But you have not stated any facts or opinions as to what is wrong with them.

You want big government? You want high taxes? You want to be cared for from cradle to grave by the government?

Explain your diatribe a little.
Ole Slick

La Fayette, KY

#1275 Nov 21, 2013
My understanding of the reason behind the separation of church and state was that the founders were just as afraid of religious authorities getting their hands on the levers of political power as they were of the state taking over religion. The established church that they were most afraid of was the Roman Catholic. That fear lasted for more than 150 years. It was a major factor in Al Smith losing the presidential election of 1926.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Smith

Religious people like having religion and government wrapped up together like two mating snakes, just as long as it is their particular religion, not somebody else's.
Tough

Greenville, KY

#1277 Nov 21, 2013
It is old politics. Throw the bums out except my bum. Cut all social welfare for them but don't touch my program/benefits. Some things never change.
Conservative

Frankfort, KY

#1280 Nov 22, 2013
Tough wrote:
It is old politics. Throw the bums out except my bum. Cut all social welfare for them but don't touch my program/benefits. Some things never change.
I have not voted for a single incumbent in the past 10 years.
Historical Society

La Fayette, KY

#1281 Nov 22, 2013
Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone wants to scream the whole separation of church and state, which never actually exists anywhere in the Constitution. Those words simply do not exists, they are a fabrication of liberals. The only reference is that, paraphrased, the US is not to promote a central church or official church of the US. This is exactly what we were escaping form England. No where is there an exclusion of God in the Constitution.

If you look at some of our most basic laws, they are very much in harmony with the 10 commandments. Murder, theft, adultery, etc. If all these ideals are antiquated, lets remove the laws that punish for these "Ungodly" acts. I mean, we do not want ANY God in government, right?

Expand on White's The Public-School Failure and modern conservatives. You really made no points there. Compare and contrast White and conservatives and where it is crazy.
You have demonstrated the common knowledge that conservatives and liberals have flipped views throughout history. But you have not stated any facts or opinions as to what is wrong with them.
You want big government? You want high taxes? You want to be cared for from cradle to grave by the government?
Explain your diatribe a little.
You are dead ass wrong. Separation of Church and State are and always were iron clad. Churches did not want the State meddling in and regulating or restricting them; secular humanists like Jefferson did not want the Church imposing its religious doctrines on people by having the State enact them into law. The State has almost never interfered in the free exercise of religion, but the Church has tried over and over and over again to impose its will on people through law.

The principles of decent human behavior set down in the Ten Commandments are not unique to the Judeo-Christian tradition. They are universal human moral and ethical values and can be found in every major cultural tradition. They existed before the time of Moses. Read some of the ancient Mesopotamian law codes. Same thing can be found in India and China.

And, yes, the modern Libertarian thinking about public schools is right out of Richard Grant White. Just compare what he wrote to Murray N. Rothbard's "Free and Compulsory" and the platform of the Libertarian Party. The other part of his thesis, the "moral values" horseshit, is reflected in the Southern Baptists' "Exit Strategy" almost word for word.

As to my ideas about taxes and spending: I'm advocating going back to the tax structure that was in effect in the Eisenhower years of the 1950s-60. If we don't, you can kiss the so called "free market" goodbye, because the wealth will all be monopolized by a very few very very very rich people. Everybody else will be living in poverty and something not much different from serfdom.
Ol Red

East Point, KY

#1283 Nov 22, 2013
Tell me where to take it, I went to the 9th, so I knows I can &#9829;
Why it

Madisonville, KY

#1284 Nov 22, 2013
Ain't to sure about the take it?
But I da\n sure know where they can put it!
Suggestion

Paducah, KY

#1287 Nov 23, 2013
Ol Red wrote:
Tell me where to take it, I went to the 9th, so I knows I can &#9829;
Go back a few posts. A version of the 1895 Kansas 8th grade test is posted there.

But beware. The answers to some of the questions, like the one about how many republics there are in Europe, that were right then are not right now.
Tough

Greenville, KY

#1288 Nov 23, 2013
Got it.
easy

Campton, KY

#1289 Nov 24, 2013
Not as easy [QUOTE [/QUOTE]
Secret

Campton, KY

#1290 Nov 24, 2013
Secret Keeper wrote:
Sssssshhhh....... it's a secret! I WAS THERE.
Keeper

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min Athenesword 141,467
Hillbilly cruisers 20 min Karen 1
lets go to florida 5 hr sounds bad 187
Kim bingham 10 hr lolo 1
The Oven Mitt 11 hr Top notch 25
Who all got shot in Knox County today? 12 hr deez 3
Tina and Luke 17 hr crazy 3
Jason Marsee shot Ford Collett 18 hr Quantummist 43
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages