Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

Aug 13, 2013 Full story: politix.topix.com 1,075

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Full Story
Amanda

United States

#1203 Nov 10, 2013
Don't know
hammer

Harlan, KY

#1205 Nov 11, 2013
nope
Sam

London, KY

#1206 Nov 12, 2013
HOT MARVIN!!!. Too bad school ain't that hard now, of course I wouldn't say that if I were still in school!.
tater

Prestonsburg, KY

#1211 Nov 13, 2013
Good Points, I blame diversity mostly.
paula

Prestonsburg, KY

#1212 Nov 13, 2013
I know I can't
paula

Prestonsburg, KY

#1213 Nov 13, 2013
I went to school at Allen Central so you can bet your butt I cant
Anonymous

Elizabethtown, KY

#1215 Nov 14, 2013
wow
Retired Teacher

Hopkinsville, KY

#1216 Nov 14, 2013
tater wrote:
Good Points, I blame diversity mostly.
There's an old saying, "Money talks and bullshit walks." I'm assuming you are a walker.

The United States was at least as diverse in 1912 as it is today, and probably moreso. In 1900 there were 45 states in the United States; population of the United States was 76 million.

About 900,000 immigrants per year entered the U.S. through Ellis Island, most of them coming from Italy, Russia’s western regions, and the multi-ethnic lands of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Few spoke English. Many were Roman Catholic, many Jewish, at a time when the nation was overwhelmingly Protestant. They crowded into cold water tenements, took whatever work they could get, and often endured the scorn of native-born Americans. One irate native complained,“The scum of the earth has been dropped on us.”

Yet the generation that graduated from the 8th grade in 1912 fought World War I, helped turn the U.S.A. into the world's greatest industrial power, endured the Great Depression, supported the New Deal, parented the generation that fought World War II, and provided the leadership that brought the U.S.A. to Super Power status.
Typical

Frankfort, KY

#1217 Nov 14, 2013
Sure wrote:
It's ironic that sheeple cry about their privacy being invaded, but when given an opportunity to give up all their information voluntarily like FB, they go right for it!!..Then Big Brother is right there to archive it. The Data Center in Utah was meant to hold in excess of Yodabytes (YB) of information.
Uh, it's a YOTTAbyte. Yoda is a green guy from Star Wars....

No system has achieved a Yottabyte.

The date center in Utah, according to unclassified blueprints, is estimated to have between 3-12 Exabytes of storage.

3 to 12 BILLION Gigabytes.
3 to 12 MILLION terrabytes.
mofo

Mount Sterling, KY

#1218 Nov 14, 2013
I suppose that if I were in the eighth grade in 1912 I could definitely help you out. but hey, this is 2013. how many eighth graders from 1912 could pass our tests? hmm....
Retired Teacher

Hopkinsville, KY

#1219 Nov 14, 2013
mofo wrote:
I suppose that if I were in the eighth grade in 1912 I could definitely help you out. but hey, this is 2013. how many eighth graders from 1912 could pass our tests? hmm....
It does not have to be a school test, nor does the time have to be over 100 years.

This is the cockpit of a Boeing 707 jet airliner from the 1970s.

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/louhingd/b707c...

This is the cockpit of a new Boeing 777.

http://777boeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/...

Unless he or she had been trained to understand and operate it, neither jet pilot would be able to fly the other's airplane.
mofo

Mount Sterling, KY

#1220 Nov 14, 2013
exactly. each time period had it's own required knowledge. although all knowledge is not required, all information is useful. folks lived a lot more different back then. the shame is that people nowadays would have no idea how to survive as they did. take away phones, t.v. and computers and who knows what the suicide rate would be. the truth is: one day we may need to know these things as a matter of survival. as far as a 707 or 747 goes... I have no idea. but I could learn.
Retired Teacher

Hopkinsville, KY

#1221 Nov 14, 2013
mofo wrote:
exactly. each time period had it's own required knowledge. although all knowledge is not required, all information is useful. folks lived a lot more different back then. the shame is that people nowadays would have no idea how to survive as they did. take away phones, t.v. and computers and who knows what the suicide rate would be. the truth is: one day we may need to know these things as a matter of survival. as far as a 707 or 747 goes... I have no idea. but I could learn.
Our technological society is becoming like one that was portrayed in an old science fiction movie (I don't remember the name, but it was one of those old 1950s black and white TV movies). The plot was that some astronauts went into space to test suspended animation. They were supposed to be up a year but something went wrong and they stayed in space 100 years. When they came back they found a super techno civilization where everything was done by machines controlled by people pushing buttons. Problem was nobody understood how the machines worked any more. They just knew that if they pushed the buttons the machines would do things. Well, as you may guess, something went wrong. It was simple really, a rat chewed some wires, short circuit, and ...
lol

Middlesboro, KY

#1222 Nov 14, 2013
Special Ed wrote:
No I went to a Pike County Board of Education School. We never had to take any test to pass 8th grade! I spent two years in 8th grade so I should know!....lol
good job
I know the one

Owensboro, KY

#1223 Nov 14, 2013
Retired Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Our technological society is becoming like one that was portrayed in an old science fiction movie (I don't remember the name, but it was one of those old 1950s black and white TV movies). The plot was that some astronauts went into space to test suspended animation. They were supposed to be up a year but something went wrong and they stayed in space 100 years. When they came back they found a super techno civilization where everything was done by machines controlled by people pushing buttons. Problem was nobody understood how the machines worked any more. They just knew that if they pushed the buttons the machines would do things. Well, as you may guess, something went wrong. It was simple really, a rat chewed some wires, short circuit, and ...
It was an episode of the Twilight Zone.:)
mofo

Mount Sterling, KY

#1224 Nov 14, 2013
sounds like some twilight zone stuff. but realistic nonetheless. people don't realize the phenomenon that lurk right around the corner that could send us back to the days when electricity was a luxury as well as automobiles.
Retired Teacher

Hopkinsville, KY

#1226 Nov 14, 2013
mofo wrote:
sounds like some twilight zone stuff. but realistic nonetheless. people don't realize the phenomenon that lurk right around the corner that could send us back to the days when electricity was a luxury as well as automobiles.
It does not have to be something out of a Star Trek episode either. Something out of the past could cause our whole technological infrastructure to collapse. Like, for instance, if a plague that killed on the scale of the Black Death was to come along and wipe out 1/3 to 1/2 of humanity in the span of one or two years. It would likely kill so many of the people that know how to make, maintain, and operate the key machinery that the whole system would stop working. It would put us back to a 1900 level of technology.
mofo

Mount Sterling, KY

#1227 Nov 14, 2013
in a lot of aspects of our modern society, some of your scenarios might not be so bad. and in other aspects it would be tragic. we (humans) are the black plague of the 21st century. imagine what the ones who didn't have knowledge to survive honestly would do to those who did. it would make the wild west look like sunday school.
Where

Mckee, KY

#1230 Nov 15, 2013
Where is the test at
nanana

West Liberty, KY

#1232 Nov 15, 2013
thats a funny
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Not if you want a career in making moonshine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Harlan's Got Talent' coming next year 36 min hope 6
trosper ky history 1 hr Whoever 2
has anyone found a male fox hound with a red co... 2 hr Wondering 8
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Anon 131,534
Gary Williams NO MORE FREE COFFEE 5 hr fixthis 4
Marshha Lake is a ratting 5 hr Curious 4
Carla davis 7 hr Kickingwolf 8
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 20 hr Anonymous 48
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match