Help: I have questions about e-filin...

Help: I have questions about e-filing taxes?

Posted in the Barbourville Forum


London, KY

#1 Jan 31, 2013
I have a few questions about e-filing since I've never done my taxes online (always used the old paper method and mailed them in myself). I know absolutely nothing about e-filing.

1. How do you receive the refund? Is it mailed in a check or can it be placed on a card or sent to a bank account?
2. How do you select the way for the refund to be sent?
3. Do free online tax services also efile for free or is there a charge for efiling?
4. I know some online services do charge for state filing, with federal filing free.
5. Is there one you would reccomend that has free federal, state and free efiling also?
---Thank You, and feel free to add any other information I should know.

United States

#2 Jan 31, 2013
1. i can only speak to turbo tax (i know h&r block does it) but they will send it on a card or mail you a check.
2. you can select it during the process of filing.
3. turbo tax is free for federal and i beleive $29.99 for state.
5. i would recommend turbo tax..very easy even if you have never filed your own taxes before. i think most all of the online tax services charge for state filing.

Pineville, KY

#3 Jan 31, 2013
they will direct deposit to your bank account. i have done my own for years with tax act and the federal is free and the state is not very expensive but i dont remember exactly how much. they will deduct it from your refund so you dont have to pay out of pocket. very fast and easy especially if you dont itemize.

Middlesboro, KY

#4 Jan 31, 2013
go to then scroll down to efile companies on there file both fed. and state free-i likt the hawk tax service real simple and all free
Bored N Checkin In

London, KY

#5 Jan 31, 2013
TurboTax and TaxAct both are online programs that allow you to file your federal taxes online for free. You can choose how you want your refund returned to you, via a paper check, a pre-paid debit card (like a green dot card, or a walmart money card) or a bank account. State is anywhere from 20 - 30 dollars, tho you can always do like I do, e-file your federal, paper file your state, then your state will come a week or two later giving you an extra little bonus when it seems like you need it the most.

Honestly, I would recommend TaxAct simply because if you sign up for their mailing list, they tend to send out random coupons for free throughout the year that give you free state filing, or even free perks for next year, plus I find their software a bit more user friendly. Not to mention, you can do your state taxes in the TaxAct program, view it, and then just copy your info down onto the paper form and drop it in the mail at your convenience.

TurboTax isn't bad to use either, though at times their software can be a bit wordy for someone who's never done anything with taxes before.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brick yard ponds 1 min Real 2
I would like to know if any Knox county teacher... 8 min Real 64
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 31 min Strel 163,335
Fwb 35 min STDbaby 18
Have you ever been to a Catholic Church?? 47 min universal rundle 6
Who's snitching on Knox co?? 1 hr Ewww 8
What happened to Connie davenport? 2 hr Needashrink 23

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages