Automatic transmission problem/question

Posted in the Barbourville Forum

Brian

Somerset, KY

#1 Feb 19, 2014
I have an 03 S10 4 cylinder with high mileage. It still runs like new. However, after sitting overnight, the transmission makes a "clank" sound when it shifts out of low gear. It only does this one time, and if you drive it all day, the sound never happens again. Whether the outside temperature is hot or cold makes no difference. However, it happens once, every time the vehicle sits for a long period like overnight. The transmission still works fine otherwise. I have never had an automatic transmission do this before (quit yes, but never clank). The fluid level is normal and the transmission fluid and filter was changed 6 months ago. Does anyone, who knows more about transmissions than me, have an idea of what might be causing this sound? Thank You
WrongFluid

London, KY

#2 Feb 20, 2014
Maybe the transmission fluid is the problem and not because it's old. You said you changed it about 6 months ago. They no longer make the transmission fluid your vehicle uses--Dexron 3. The only kind you can get that is supposed to be a suitable replacement is called Dexron 3/Mercon. So, I'm sure that's the type you used when you replaced your fluid. As you may know, Mercon was originally a Mercury-Ford transmission fluid. Now that they have substituted Dexron/Mercon for the Dexron 3 your vehicle needs, maybe the fluid isn't exactly suitable for your transmission. If it's not, there's nothing you can do since Dexron 3 is no longer made. The name, Dexron 3,(no matter which company produced it) was owned by General Motors. When they stopped producing Dexron 1, 2, 3 & 4, they refused to allow other manufacturers to produce it also. So, there is none to be had. Since the type fluid you need is for older vehicles that are no longer under warranty, GM is not too worried if the transmissions fail in those vehicles due to them not having the correct transmission fluid. Owners like you, not GM, are the ones on the spot.
Maybe

London, KY

#3 Feb 21, 2014
Maybe the new type fluid is wearing the clutches out.
Ryan

London, KY

#4 Feb 21, 2014
Maybe its because its a Chevy
Mack

London, KY

#5 Feb 22, 2014
Ryan wrote:
Maybe its because its a Chevy
Maybe you don't know what you're talking about...
gator

Eubank, KY

#6 Feb 24, 2014
Mack wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you don't know what you're talking about...
maybe you should be making truck payments?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal coon hunting going Davis bend road 9 min Mitch 5
Norma Ray Brock 4 hr curious 1
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr wow 131,389
who will you vote for as jailer 4 hr true 24
howard davis (Aug '12) 6 hr dizzyone1313 32
Mike Baker needs to run the Jail 6 hr Jumper Cable 6
Family Court Judge 6 hr decided voter 49
Who works at both the Advocate and the jail? 7 hr Patty 11
Knox Co jail threads GONE again!!!! 7 hr Webster 10
our little oligarchy town of barbourville 9 hr Character 10