Is GR Hampton a good school?

Posted in the Barbourville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
New2Knox

Barbourville, KY

#1 Feb 16, 2013
My family is moving to Barbourville this summer and we are buying a house in the GR Hampton School district. I'm curious what other parents think of this school, the staff, and how they treat children. No school is perfect and some are worse than others. I'm just looking for opinions from parents who have dealt with this school in the past year or two.
hey hey

Barbourville, KY

#2 Feb 16, 2013
New2Knox wrote:
My family is moving to Barbourville this summer and we are buying a house in the GR Hampton School district. I'm curious what other parents think of this school, the staff, and how they treat children. No school is perfect and some are worse than others. I'm just looking for opinions from parents who have dealt with this school in the past year or two.
The school is a good school my son has went there for a few years but the principle is ass as long as u stand ur ground with him he won't push but if not he will try to run over you.. Scot should of stayed principle...
New2Knox

Barbourville, KY

#3 Feb 16, 2013
Well, thank you....so he's not pleasant, but is he good at his job? That is, while remaining unpleasant but competent.
Men don't intimidate me. I find that humorous. I'm just curious if he and others do their job and if they are nice to the children.
IMHO

Barbourville, KY

#4 Feb 16, 2013
GR Hampton has always been a very good school. Is it as good as it once was? I dont know, but it is still very good. It has some excellent teachers.(There's a few not so good ones, but that's true everywhere.) The PTO is very active. My child goes there, and he loves it! The principal is new this year, but he's not new to the school. He's also not an ass. It sounds to me like the previous poster is a "trouble-maker" parent. Please don't make your decision by what you read on Topix!
hah

London, KY

#5 Feb 16, 2013
It went down hill when Scott and Jason left. They have people filling those positions that are pale in comparison. There is and always will be a bullying problem there.
LOL

Barbourville, KY

#6 Feb 16, 2013
hah wrote:
It went down hill when Scott and Jason left. They have people filling those positions that are pale in comparison. There is and always will be a bullying problem there.
Who's Jason?
New2Knox

Barbourville, KY

#7 Feb 16, 2013
Well, I don't know the previous or current staff. I'm happy to hear some feedback. I'd like to go into this with an idea of what to expect. I know it's impossible to truly predict. It sounds like people are generally pleased. Everyone has some personality clashes. I'm more concerned with how the school deals with new children, parents who aren't accustomed to a small town, and helping families adjust and feel welcome.
GRH

Barbourville, KY

#8 Feb 16, 2013
New2Knox wrote:
Well, I don't know the previous or current staff. I'm happy to hear some feedback. I'd like to go into this with an idea of what to expect. I know it's impossible to truly predict. It sounds like people are generally pleased. Everyone has some personality clashes. I'm more concerned with how the school deals with new children, parents who aren't accustomed to a small town, and helping families adjust and feel welcome.
I 'd like to help if I can. May I ask what grade your child/children will be in?(Also, I'm just curious, but where are you moving from?) To answer your question...The school is a very good school in some ways, and it could use some improvement in others. Mr. West is the principal. This is his first year, but he's been a teacher at the school for many years. He's probably not as "personable" as the previous principal, but he's also probably more professional. As someone else said, there are some excellent teachers there, probably some of the best in the county. There are some others that are not so good, but that is true in all schools. I believe you and your family will feel very welcomed, particularly if you are an "involved" parent. It is considered one of the "wealthier" schools in the county if that makes a difference.

“666”

Since: Feb 13

Hell, Norway

#9 Feb 16, 2013
It sucks, and these people are all liars from Hell. And they know it, bastard's!
hey hey

Barbourville, KY

#10 Feb 17, 2013
I'm not a trouble maker gr is a good school and no the principle doesn't do his job thsts why every week parents are going to the board on him... However there are some very good teachers there....
parent

Mayfield, KY

#11 Feb 17, 2013
My child is supposed to b in another school but i love the school so i drive my child there! Of course it jas issues but all schools do! Ive had mine in another one but no way would i do that again its terrible but gr is a good school. Ppl miss dealing with scott thats normal but ppl will adjust to mr west also! He is a good one i think he makes things go in an order some parents dont like if there child may get in trouble idk its a great school. Tho i think and very nice a lot consider it best in town but idk test scores were of the highest also.. If u want friendly staff an your child to learn its the right place!
hardyhar

London, KY

#12 Feb 20, 2013
Is it a good school? Well that depends... is your child a teacher's? Did you come from old money in Barbourville? Is your child a bully? Are you a Christian?

If you answered "yes" to any of those.. then it is a wonderful place full of magic!

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Nov 11

Barbourville, KY

#13 Feb 20, 2013
No, none of Knox County's school's are good school's.
Tell us

Barbourville, KY

#14 Feb 20, 2013
hardyhar wrote:
Is it a good school? Well that depends... is your child a teacher's? Did you come from old money in Barbourville? Is your child a bully? Are you a Christian?
If you answered "yes" to any of those.. then it is a wonderful place full of magic!
Why do you feel this way? Examples please...
Tell us

Barbourville, KY

#15 Feb 20, 2013
hardyhar wrote:
Who's the "old money", "bullies", "Christians", etc.? Why do you say that?
use 2 be

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Feb 21, 2013
i went to G.R in the 90s and i loved it then, but honestly the school has went down really really bad, my kid goes there now but ive decided 2 take her out after this year, they just don`t teach like they use 2,
Maybe

Barbourville, KY

#17 Feb 21, 2013
use 2 be wrote:
i went to G.R in the 90s and i loved it then, but honestly the school has went down really really bad, my kid goes there now but ive decided 2 take her out after this year, they just don`t teach like they use 2,
I agree it's not like it use to be, but there's still some very good teachers there who are doing all they can do in spite of everything. I would say that it's probably an accurate statement that "they don't teach like the used to" though. Since they've been doing SFA, it's really gone down hill, but they don't really have a choice about that. That comes from the board of education. The whole county has to do it. Therefore, GR is not allowed to do the things they've always done, so it's not the place it used to be. Does that mean it's a bad school? No, I don't think so. It's still one of the best in the county. My child goes there, and I'm happy with his education so far. I wish some things were different about the school, but I do realize a lot of things are out of their hands.
yeah

London, KY

#18 Mar 1, 2013
Tell us wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you feel this way? Examples please...
Examples provide themselves.

Look at the other topic about GR.
yea

Nancy, KY

#19 Mar 1, 2013
go look at the other topic about GR. Hope that helps
GR Parent

London, KY

#20 Mar 4, 2013
What other topic is there about GR? I only see this one.
yea wrote:
go look at the other topic about GR. Hope that helps

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Letter in mail from Sheriff candidate 12 min Voter 1
Time fall back 53 min Kgg 1
who will you vote for as jailer 1 hr AQZ 84
Indictments 1 hr facts are 34
Police beatings? 2 hr sunny day 4
Allen Messer Dying of Lung Cancer? 2 hr Gross 12
McDonald's girls (Jan '14) 2 hr boo 7
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 5 hr you know 8
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 6 hr you know 49
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. Fri Curiouswonderer 4