Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167749 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

so true

Greensburg, KY

#137398 Oct 7, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Mike I can't judge people. I gauge people, try to understand where they're coming from.
When a religion becomes a state supported monolith, you eventually get, ISIS.
I believe in the separation of church and state, not the eradication of church, by state.
I will listen to more than the words, being spoken to me...listen for the heart expression..search out their meaning , and then speak from my own heart.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#137399 Oct 7, 2014
so true wrote:
<quoted text> I will listen to more than the words, being spoken to me...listen for the heart expression..search out their meaning , and then speak from my own heart.
What else can you do, really? Look, Bill Maher is pretty anti- religion, but the guy is honest, or tries to be, I don't take it personally when he says Christians believe in fairy tales.
He's entitled to an opinion, I'm entitled to mine.
I wasn't, in the past, so affable, but the hate thing just eats a person alive, from the inside out.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#137400 Oct 7, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> What else can you do, really? Look, Bill Maher is pretty anti- religion, but the guy is honest, or tries to be, I don't take it personally when he says Christians believe in fairy tales.
He's entitled to an opinion, I'm entitled to mine.
I wasn't, in the past, so affable, but the hate thing just eats a person alive, from the inside out.
Amen!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#137401 Oct 8, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Great result from the US Supreme Court re: gay marriage.
Love will always conquer hatred and bigotry.
Yeah it was a great ruling. One more signal that homophobia is not going to be a very popular idea moving forward. Best ditch it now while you still have some dignity. In a few years even saying you're opposed to gay marriage will be exactly like saying "I ain't racist, but..."

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#137402 Oct 8, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Certainly, the ISIS fanatics have given me pause.
I'd hate to see Christianity go to that extreme.
I'm just about out of hate, man. Just kills the carrier!
Well Christianity went through its ISIS stage. I am for progressing, not sitting around to see if Christianity regresses. It is bad that Christianity is as bigoted as it is. I do not withhold my judgment of Christianity just because they are not as bad as ISIS.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137403 Oct 8, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> A person can keep their faith, despite court rulings.
Faith isn't about hate, or intolerance.
Supreme Court has decided.
I recognize that not all Supreme Court decisions are moral, or correct, the Dred Scott decision comes to mind, but this was no Dred Scott decision.
It was simply a decision.
I will continue as I always have, treating people with respect, unless they show they are unwilling to do the same to me.
Yes, I am sure no matter what the courts decide, the bigoted Christians will keep their faith and believe the court decided wrongly on this. I cannot tell what side you are on here.
BTW, the courts simply refused to object to the earlier rulings. They really did not decide anything. This is far from over.

Location hidden

#137404 Oct 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Christianity went through its ISIS stage. I am for progressing, not sitting around to see if Christianity regresses. It is bad that Christianity is as bigoted as it is. I do not withhold my judgment of Christianity just because they are not as bad as ISIS.
Progress, not perfection! I actually didn't think you were into withholding your opinion on religion!
Seriously, as long as there are people screaming "you're gonna burn in hell", it destroys any chance at dialog.
You may have noticed, many churches actually perform gay marriages now,I don't think you can say Christianity is static.
What do you think?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137405 Oct 8, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> A person can keep their faith, despite court rulings.
Faith isn't about hate, or intolerance.
Supreme Court has decided.
I recognize that not all Supreme Court decisions are moral, or correct, the Dred Scott decision comes to mind, but this was no Dred Scott decision.
It was simply a decision.
I will continue as I always have, treating people with respect, unless they show they are unwilling to do the same to me.
ISIS shows how faith and intolerance is intertwined. The Christians who are intolerance of gay marriage show the same. There are examples in many religions.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137406 Oct 8, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Mike I can't judge people. I gauge people, try to understand where they're coming from.
When a religion becomes a state supported monolith, you eventually get, ISIS.
I believe in the separation of church and state, not the eradication of church, by state.
Calling it "gauging" makes it no less a judgment.
I know of no one pushing for government to eradicate the church. Many Christians are not for a separation of church and state. That is a stark difference.
When Christians and Muslims show bigotry towards homosexuals, I judge them harshly. Being passive can be part of the problem. For example, when Muslims do not call out Islamic terrorism, that only emboldens the terrorists. Same for Christians that do not call out their own on homosexual bigotry.

Location hidden

#137407 Oct 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling it "gauging" makes it no less a judgment.
I know of no one pushing for government to eradicate the church. Many Christians are not for a separation of church and state. That is a stark difference.
When Christians and Muslims show bigotry towards homosexuals, I judge them harshly. Being passive can be part of the problem. For example, when Muslims do not call out Islamic terrorism, that only emboldens the terrorists. Sa
me for Christians that do not call out their own on homosexual bigotry.
By "gauging" ,I mean the usual sizing up human beings do when they meet other human beings. How do you form your opinions of people that you've just meet?

Location hidden

#137408 Oct 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
ISIS shows how faith and intolerance is intertwined. The Christians who are intolerance of gay marriage show the same. There are examples in many religions.
Intolerance is one thing, chopping heads off, is a bit more extreme.
I know some secular humanists tend to judge Christians before they even meet them.
Could be, that's intolerant as well.

Location hidden

#137409 Oct 8, 2014
I've known people who are atheists, who are biased against gays, as well. Bias isn't limited to Christians.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#137410 Oct 9, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
I've known people who are atheists, who are biased against gays, as well. Bias isn't limited to Christians.
This is true and should be kept in mind. However you have to look at the big picture to see the trends. Among atheists you'll find a huge percentage of social progressives. Overwhelming, actually. So the people who are simultaneously atheist and bigoted against gays are clearly in a small minority.

Contrast that with Christianity. Like it or not, the Bible provides several oft-cited passages that seem to decry homosexuality. Gays are widely scoffed at by Christians and that attitude of homophobia is protected within the religion as a whole. Sure, there are more progressive pastors and churches here and there but they are in the minority.

So if we're looking at groups of people and getting a feel for their level of homophobia I think we'll find that it is ridiculously higher among Christians than atheists.

So the question is "why?" How do you change thousands of years of this negative social attitude?

It seems like we're doing it through public awareness, criticism, satire, and finally the law.

Location hidden

#137411 Oct 9, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true and should be kept in mind. However you have to look at the big picture to see the trends. Among atheists you'll find a huge percentage of social progressives. Overwhelming, actually. So the people who are simultaneously atheist and bigoted against gays are clearly in a small minority.
Contrast that with Christianity. Like it or not, the Bible provides several oft-cited passages that seem to decry homosexuality. Gays are widely scoffed at by Christians and that attitude of homophobia is protected within the religion as a whole. Sure, there are more progressive pastors and churches here and there but they are in the minority.
So if we're looking at groups of people and getting a feel for their level of homophobia I think we'll find that it is ridiculously higher among Christians than atheists.
So the question is "why?" How do you change thousands of years of this negative social attitude?
It seems like we're doing it through public awareness, criticism, satire, and finally the.
And among social progressives you will find real, concrete bias against Christians. Is that bias a good thing? Do Christians have a right to disapprove of gay activity? Does disapproval equal bias in hiring? I don't think so.
Homosexuality is natural in nature, that's well documented.
Not unnatural.
Because a Christian might disapprove of gay activity is a natural outgrowth of biblical teaching.
I don't "approve" of gay marriage.
So what?
That's my right as a human being.
Just as it's a gay person's right, to be gay.
Believe this, I know plenty of gay people who don't like straights.
That's their right.
Very soon, gay marriage will be legal in every state.
If I don't approve, too bad !
In this republic, there has to be give and take.
I do not, can not, will not, hate gay people.
Christians are well advised to take care of their own relationships with their God.
Being gay is, by and large, approved of by mainstream media and most people.
Looks like gays have won.
Being a Christian these days means having to constantly defend oneself against the perception that one is a"hypocrite ".
Seems like the new bias, these days, is against Christians.
You can't" force " people to "approve" of things.
Gays can marry everywhere, soon.
I don't "approve"....... but I do AGREE !!!!
In this country, gays should have the RIGHT TO MARRY!
I agree with that.
But, I don't have to APPROVE.
This is called compromise.
so true

Leitchfield, KY

#137412 Oct 9, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text>
And among social progressives you will find real, concrete bias against Christians. Is that bias a good thing? Do Christians have a right to disapprove of gay activity? Does disapproval equal bias in hiring? I don't think so.
Homosexuality is natural in nature, that's well documented.
Not unnatural.
Because a Christian might disapprove of gay activity is a natural outgrowth of biblical teaching.
I don't "approve" of gay marriage.
So what?
That's my right as a human being.
Just as it's a gay person's right, to be gay.
Believe this, I know plenty of gay people who don't like straights.
That's their right.
Very soon, gay marriage will be legal in every state.
If I don't approve, too bad !
In this republic, there has to be give and take.
I do not, can not, will not, hate gay people.
Christians are well advised to take care of their own relationships with their God.
Being gay is, by and large, approved of by mainstream media and most people.
Looks like gays have won.
Being a Christian these days means having to constantly defend oneself against the perception that one is a"hypocrite ".
Seems like the new bias, these days, is against Christians.
You can't" force " people to "approve" of things.
Gays can marry everywhere, soon.
I don't "approve"....... but I do AGREE !!!!
In this country, gays should have the RIGHT TO MARRY!
I agree with that.
But, I don't have to APPROVE.
This is called compromise.
If u can't see eye to eye with someone, try to set heart to heart. Theres no law that says we have to agree on everything,.... not yet...

“Phil Greer”

Since: Sep 14

Winchester Kentucky

#137415 Oct 9, 2014
As a god delusional Christian the ability to apply reasoned thought to the bible and the gods contained there is not available. I know this because for years I was deep inside the Christian god delusion myself and suffered this strange malady. Christians believe that there is a universe creating super being capable of reading everyone’s thoughts.
Christians believe that this super mind reading being is judging the thoughts of billions to see if they meet his standards. After reading and judging the thoughts of billions of humans the mind reading super being will impose an eternal sentence upon all of either a world of eternal supposed bliss spent worshiping the mind reading super being or eternal torture spent forever burning but never dying.

The thoughts determining which of the eternal judgments you will receive must be that you believe, contrary to any evidence whatsoever, the following; over 2000 years ago the mind reading super being that created the universe became a ghost, impregnated a Jewish teenager with himself, was later killed by the governing authorities that were ignorant of the fact that they were part of a suicide plan that the creator of the universe had thought up.

The thought reading, universe creating super being was according to his plan taking the place of sheep. The sheep were previously being killed to pay for what the thought reading, universe creating super being judged to be sins against his self. Part of this belief must be that the thought reading, universe creating super being after committing this assisted suicide didn’t stay dead but came back to life and flew into outer space.

The delusional Christian having lost the ability to understand how utterly insane all of this nonsense is believes that it is the unbeliever of this delusional world that fails to see the light and needs their help to come to the same conclusion that they have about Christianity and how much sense it all makes.
Phil Greer

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#137416 Oct 10, 2014
Phil Greer wrote:
As a god delusional Christian the ability to apply reasoned thought to the bible and the gods contained there is not available. I know this because for years I was deep inside the Christian god delusion myself and suffered this strange malady. Christians believe that there is a universe creating super being capable of reading everyone’s thoughts.
Christians believe that this super mind reading being is judging the thoughts of billions to see if they meet his standards. After reading and judging the thoughts of billions of humans the mind reading super being will impose an eternal sentence upon all of either a world of eternal supposed bliss spent worshiping the mind reading super being or eternal torture spent forever burning but never dying.
The thoughts determining which of the eternal judgments you will receive must be that you believe, contrary to any evidence whatsoever, the following; over 2000 years ago the mind reading super being that created the universe became a ghost, impregnated a Jewish teenager with himself, was later killed by the governing authorities that were ignorant of the fact that they were part of a suicide plan that the creator of the universe had thought up.
The thought reading, universe creating super being was according to his plan taking the place of sheep. The sheep were previously being killed to pay for what the thought reading, universe creating super being judged to be sins against his self. Part of this belief must be that the thought reading, universe creating super being after committing this assisted suicide didn’t stay dead but came back to life and flew into outer space.
The delusional Christian having lost the ability to understand how utterly insane all of this nonsense is believes that it is the unbeliever of this delusional world that fails to see the light and needs their help to come to the same conclusion that they have about Christianity and how much sense it all makes.
Phil Greer
Some of us do apply reason to the theoretical concept of sin and punishment by "gods", by being the bigot that you are, only shows how obtuse and ignorant you really are..
There is way more to it than just the Biblical writings, that is some of the Christians faults for not being open minded and realizing that. The Bible, NT mostly, is written by Roman hands, they are not saying that there isn't more to Jesus than what they wrote, what they ARE saying is that their word about Jesus is final. You either take their word as the final word, or die, which countless numbers did, not because they lied or were heretics, but simply because they knew the truth and would NOT accept Roman word as the Authoritative word of Christ. You should really think before you post bigoted BS!
pusherman, Peace..

Location hidden

#137417 Oct 10, 2014
so true wrote:
<quoted text>
If u can't see eye to eye with someone, try to set heart to heart. Theres no law that says we have to agree on everything,.... not yet...
No... not yet....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#137418 Oct 10, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us do apply reason to the theoretical concept of sin and punishment by "gods", by being the bigot that you are, only shows how obtuse and ignorant you really are..
There is way more to it than just the Biblical writings, that is some of the Christians faults for not being open minded and realizing that. The Bible, NT mostly, is written by Roman hands, they are not saying that there isn't more to Jesus than what they wrote, what they ARE saying is that their word about Jesus is final. You either take their word as the final word, or die, which countless numbers did, not because they lied or were heretics, but simply because they knew the truth and would NOT accept Roman word as the Authoritative word of Christ. You should really think before you post bigoted BS!
pusherman, Peace..
Are you drunk or on drugs?
justice_-

United States

#137419 Oct 10, 2014
waco1909 wrote:
The biggest difference is that an atheist has personal issues based on what they believe...not some twisted concept formed from what some guy thought thousands of years ago...also atheist don't claim people will perish in hell for being gay.
The blue pill or the red...Do you want to see the world for what it is? Or do you want the magical land of make believe ?I don't believe a lot of Christians would tell anyone if they were okay with homosexuality ... It's got to be a challenge to try and hide what you feel is right so you can be a righteous follower .
So who is correct ? Some believe it's child abuse not give your children religious intervention at an early. age..Others believe it to be an outrage ...why teach all the utter nonsense ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer young and roe Gibson 18 min Jennifer 6
Knox Central Cafeteria Food 1 hr ICorrectedTheProblem 58
TONYA you Bad Bad Girl !!! 2 hr What your name 5
Crimanals 3 hr Nuts 2
Homeless methheads 4 hr Nuts 6
Who have you heard is running for Judge Executuve 4 hr Hammer head 39
Hot Women who works at KCEOC 4 hr Hey345 1
New sandwich shop 8 hr Uhhh 7

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web