Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147223 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#137241 Sep 20, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
It's greed.
It is the republican agenda, using religion to brain wash people, control the assets of the country and bleed the middle class, poor of money and to make the 1% richer.
The rightwing types who believe in the rapture for themselves, and then much suffering for everyone left behind, are the warmongers - Sarah Palin types - who want war in Israel and with Russia, because they think that is what is predicted in Revelations. A more sensible view of Revelations is that it was an attack on various warlike groups at the time, not a prediction of the future. But the name I use for the modern version is; The Armageddon Welcoming and Facilitating Committee. They want to be raptured up soon so they will not have to die. And they want to sit with God and Jesus among clouds and look down on others who are suffering (sort of like the Romans watching early Christians - how far the Christians have descended morally in wishing to go up into the sky!). They want it to be OK that this earth is polluted with junk in the air and water and on land, and that climate gets more troublesome for everyone other than themselves - they still deny there is a problem, or say God sent the floods or the tornado or fires. These people are evil and must not be elected to office where they can vote to promote war.
Not all warmongers are this type - some want to benefit big oil and big defense industries, and get their cut of the money. Palin is clearly among the first type, and Cheney among this latter type.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#137242 Sep 20, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Aren't you the same guy that was talking about people acting like bada$$' on here, behind the computer?
Kudos to you for calling out the hypocrisy and uncalled for violent words of this guy. Obviously he is not going to take us atheists seriously. Just as it was of 9/11, the Muslims should have called out the act harshly. Sadly only a few did.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137243 Sep 20, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
It's greed.
It is the republican agenda, using religion to brain wash people, control the assets of the country and bleed the middle class, poor of money and to make the 1% richer.
As long as I have been on this thread, I have yet to hear from a single liberal Christian who was on the side of having bible study in public schools.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137244 Sep 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as I have been on this thread, I have yet to hear from a single liberal Christian who was on the side of having bible study in public schools.
The religious right will say " they are not really Christans, just church goers".
BorgX

Middlesboro, KY

#137245 Sep 20, 2014
I like it wrote:
If they put a stop to this I think they should put a stop to "CHRISTMAS" break also.
I agree it should be called WINTER BREAK.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137246 Sep 20, 2014
Pentagon’s big budget F-35 fighter ‘can’t turn, can’t climb, can’t run’.

The Truth About the Useless F-35 & F-22 youtube.

Russia currently has the best jet fighters.&#65279; Thanks to Lockheed Martin and republicans for ripping off the American taxpayers.

f-22 cost 339 million per plane --
su-30 cost 78 million per plane

The F-22's Most Important Feature Does Nothing To Help It Survive Aerial Combat

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/f-22-wont-win-...

“Raptor has vector thrust: Typhoon doesn’t,” he said.“What the aircraft can do, it’s incredible. The Typhoon just doesn’t do that.”

Even if it is a matter of fact that the European top class fighter jet lacks thrust vectoring (TV) our source believes that this is not a big deal.

To be honest, the points he raises were already discussed in the article about the outcome of the dogfights between the U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptors and the German Air Force Eurofighter Typhoons during last year’s Red Flag – Alaska, when Americans said the F-22 performance was “overwhelming” while Germans said the costly stealth fighter was “salad” for the Eurofighter’s pilots lunch.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/f-22-wont-win-...
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137247 Sep 20, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Bernie Sanders is a great man, and would not make a good president in a world where all the major trends and strong forces would be against him. The crooked corporations and crooked rich would find ways to thwart all his good ideas by buying the Senate through hidden money given to rightwing GOP Senate candidates, and by controlling the House by buying Governors and state legislators through campaign contributions, so that the GOP rightwing could gerrymander the House districts in many states, as they do now.
Plus Bernie Sanders is too good a man to do any of the harsh things that might be required to prevail over the truly evil. It does not work to have a good President and a rotten Congress and a rotten majority of political activists, and a stupid majority of voters. Bad enough with Obama, who is cooler and less utopian in his wish list. The good things he tries to do are thwarted by the GOP in Congress, and by ignorant public opinion. Even some of his iffy actions (like maybe some of the drone strikes that went to the wrong places) get criticized, by people looking for any excuse to trash him. Sanders would make a great leader in Sweden, Denmark, or Norway, where there are more decent people, less nutcase rightwingers, and less power to be called upon to be the world's policeman. Plus I would not want any harm to come to him. The American people are not worthy of a good person like him for President, nor of Elizabeth Warren or Sherrod Brown.
If Hillary and Bill got back in, that would be about the best the majority of American voters would deserve. Of course, in Iowa, among Iowa Democrats, I am for Sanders in order to put some pressure on Hillary not to go too far to the right, to the Establishment economic and foreign policy crowd, and to pandering to the mediocre people. We go first in the primary-caucus process, so we can stand for the ideal and for purity, and then compromise later when we have to.
Not sure if a Hillary for president could win. Bill and Hillary are well known and respected by most democrats. We will find out more next year what transpires.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137248 Sep 20, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
there are certain types of religion which lend themselves to this agenda. one is the suffer on earth and wait to be rewarded in heaven variety - the meek shall inherit the clouds after this earth is destroyed type of Armageddon wecomers. The other is called success theology - if one is a success it is because God is rewarding that person, it is well-deserved (and by implication those who fail financially deserve to be losers, and should not be helped). These two rightwing varieties are opposed by a more compassionate type of religion which is not so pushy, usually. At least this new Pope is not an advocate of success theology, and maybe a few Catholics (though not rightwing Catholic Republica politicians like Paul Ryan) will listen to him, and support programs that benefit the poor and lower middle class, and the stagnant and sinking middle class levels.
You've got that done pat.
phil Greer

Louisville, KY

#137249 Sep 20, 2014
. Christians believe that there is a universe creating super being capable of reading everyone’s thoughts. Christians believe that this super mind reading being is judging the thoughts of billions to see if they meet his standards. After reading and judging the thoughts of billions of humans the mind reading super being will impose an eternal sentence upon all of either a world of eternal supposed bliss spent worshiping the mind reading super being or eternal torture spent forever burning but never dying.

The thoughts determining which of the eternal judgments you will receive must be that you believe, contrary to any evidence whatsoever, the following; over 2000 years ago the mind reading super being that created the universe became a ghost, impregnated a Jewish teenager with himself, was later killed by the governing authorities that were ignorant of the fact that they were part of a suicide plan that the creator of the universe had thought up.

The thought reading, universe creating super being was according to his plan taking the place of sheep. The sheep were previously being killed to pay for what the thought reading, universe creating super being judged to be sins against his self. Part of this belief must be that the thought reading, universe creating super being after committing this assisted suicide didn’t stay dead but came back to life and flew into outer space.

The delusional Christian having lost the ability to understand how utterly insane all of this nonsense is believes that it is the unbeliever of this delusional world that fails to see the light and needs their help to come to the same conclusion that they have about Christianity and how much sense it all makes.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#137250 Sep 21, 2014
BorgX wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it should be called WINTER BREAK.
Hahaha! Why not happy holidayz break? you must live around Ambleside? there around the Judge, Jury, and excutioners..

Since: Mar 14

Brisbane, Australia

#137251 Sep 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the original article. The proposition was to include biblical verses as historic references to Christianity's impact on western civilization, not to promote religious observance. As I stated, I have little issue with including excerpts from the Torah, Bible and Koran as historic texts in a history or comparative religion class - just leave out the mumbo jumbo crap. THAT is straying from the subject. The fact that those who cannot separate history from fiction keep trying to insert their religious beliefs into public schools is the argument against allowing the use of biblical passages in the curriculum.
a rich man cannot enter heaven. Republicans. The eye of a needle. Stu
uh huh

Lockport, KY

#137252 Sep 21, 2014
LDL
00PC'@'ldz
BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137253 Sep 21, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
It's greed.
These last few comments about the Right Wing Christians in Government have been interesting to me. I had always wondered why a lot of the politicians always spoke of God in their campaign speeches. I didn't know they based a lot of their decisions in congress off of bible beliefs. I had always thought they based their decisions by the situation at hand and the best option for the situation. Though it seems that, a lot of Republican would like to see more involvement in these conflicts. Afghanistan, ISIS, our pledges to help support efforts in the Ukraine. Not to mention all the humanitarian aid that both the Democrats and Republicans have pledged to various Countries for this or that.
It make me wonder though, how do the politicians who want to keep getting the United States involved in foreign conflicts expect to Pay for our involvement in those conflicts? Whether their decisions are based on Religion, or Bible passages, fulfilling Gods word, or what have you. The United States Debt is 17.7 Trillion in Debt as of 2014. That's $17,770,878,224,354 to be more specific. I'm not even sure how we are funding these conflicts in other countries, we don't seem to be paying for our involvements. Someone has to be lending us the money to give to someone else.This seems to put our country in a very bad state. Like we are a house of cards, that our country and our way of life could collapse at anytime.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#137254 Sep 21, 2014
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
<quoted text> a rich man cannot enter heaven. Republicans. The eye of a needle. Stu
People are born with nothing and leave with nothing. You might amass, create or accomplish something in between, but you can't "take it with you" and fairy tales are for children.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#137255 Sep 21, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>These last few comments about the Right Wing Christians in Government have been interesting to me. I had always wondered why a lot of the politicians always spoke of God in their campaign speeches. I didn't know they based a lot of their decisions in congress off of bible beliefs. I had always thought they based their decisions by the situation at hand and the best option for the situation. Though it seems that, a lot of Republican would like to see more involvement in these conflicts. Afghanistan, ISIS, our pledges to help support efforts in the Ukraine. Not to mention all the humanitarian aid that both the Democrats and Republicans have pledged to various Countries for this or that.
It make me wonder though, how do the politicians who want to keep getting the United States involved in foreign conflicts expect to Pay for our involvement in those conflicts? Whether their decisions are based on Religion, or Bible passages, fulfilling Gods word, or what have you. The United States Debt is 17.7 Trillion in Debt as of 2014. That's $17,770,878,224,354 to be more specific. I'm not even sure how we are funding these conflicts in other countries, we don't seem to be paying for our involvements. Someone has to be lending us the money to give to someone else.This seems to put our country in a very bad state. Like we are a house of cards, that our country and our way of life could collapse at anytime.
There is the pervasive misunderstanding that we live in a democracy and that we make communal decisions in the governance of the country for the benefit of all. We live in a Republic and are represented by popularity contest winners who are indebted to profiteers and are typically as near sighted as a snail. Don't expect good decisions. Ever. This country hasn't been out of debt before or since a couple of days while Andrew Jackson was president.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137256 Sep 21, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>These last few comments about the Right Wing Christians in Government have been interesting to me. I had always wondered why a lot of the politicians always spoke of God in their campaign speeches. I didn't know they based a lot of their decisions in congress off of bible beliefs. I had always thought they based their decisions by the situation at hand and the best option for the situation. Though it seems that, a lot of Republican would like to see more involvement in these conflicts. Afghanistan, ISIS, our pledges to help support efforts in the Ukraine. Not to mention all the humanitarian aid that both the Democrats and Republicans have pledged to various Countries for this or that.
Well many politicians just vote for their side of the isle. If the religious right insists they vote a certain way, they will probably do it so they will be reelected. They invoke the god of choice for votes.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137257 Sep 21, 2014

“See how you are?”

Earth

#137258 Sep 21, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Well many politicians just vote for their side of the isle. If the religious right insists they vote a certain way, they will probably do it so they will be reelected. They invoke the god of choice for votes.
That the two sides of the isle vote almost inevitably for partisan purposes is amply demonstrated with just a glance at any of the voter guides. To claim that such a (religious right) candidate is personally better than any other is a lot like claiming that you can get more shtfaced drunk on a John Deere garden tractor than any other.
BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137259 Sep 21, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is the pervasive misunderstanding that we live in a democracy and that we make communal decisions in the governance of the country for the benefit of all. We live in a Republic and are represented by popularity contest winners who are indebted to profiteers and are typically as near sighted as a snail. Don't expect good decisions. Ever. This country hasn't been out of debt before or since a couple of days while Andrew Jackson was president.
Societal collapse has happened in the past due to this type of activity. For example the West Roman Empire Collapse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_the_West...
This type of activity, being the decision making, based on Right wing Christianity views, or maybe even Right wing view points, if they are one and the same, could "Potentially" cause a catastrophic societal collapses in the united states. If you were to look ahead to the current trend and use past history as a template, it doesn't look so good. Like, when the Government has gone broke but the wealthy are still in power, the county could splinter into different factions. For example the U.S.S.R., Rome, and other society's. If you have A monetarily broke government but A wealthy few, the citizens will eventually retaliate against someone. Whether that be the Government or the Wealthy or both. This could be how Civil Wars happen. It is my understanding that a lot of Right wing groups have wanted such an occurrence to happen. Just looking at past history, it seems that it could Potentially happen. Now that I think about it, I wonder if any of the right wing Christian group members in Congress and Senate are drifting toward making that a reality. Of course that last statesmen was pure speculation, a just "what if" as it where. But it does make a person wonder.
I'm not sure that the founding Fathers of this country set out to overthrow / change a government that they had just created. After all they could have just written the constitution in the specific manner that they wanted. It seems that a whole lot of political and religious agenda have been put in place since the founding Fathers set the foundation of how this country is supposed to be governed. The founding fathers didn't have to say the thing about separation of church and state, or a variant of that phrase, but they did it for a reason. Because lack of separation of church and state and other issues didn't work. I believe the result was called the American revolution.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137260 Sep 21, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
http://youtu.be/usShWclcmmo
So
Glenn "Obama is the antichrist" Beck , Mitt "hide my money in oversees accounts" Romney must be a embarrassment to the LDS church. Glenn and Mitt made a lot of money off preaching hatred of liberals and progressives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 16 min Sir Valentine 1,180
Setting the record straight. 5 hr Messedup 11
single mothers 6 hr finallydidbutever... 4
Give to the church 7 hr Jose 2
Pepsi Delivery Man 8 hr Hoza 3
Fake Jose is ruining my life! 8 hr Jose 2
Who or how many men is Misty M sizemore doing i... 12 hr Summer 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages