Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 138372 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137026 Sep 10, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to be more specific about these generalities - give examples. specificity is always helpful so we know what you mean and what point of view you are promoting.
Like I just posted in another thread. I don't mind so much "sharing" my view points and belifs, if others do the same. What are you bringing to the table? What are your beliefs? I'm starting to feel like the go to guy for Questions and Answers.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#137027 Sep 10, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>I started to realize that I seemed to be the only one telling everyone what I believed. I can be more specific, but I don't see anyone else in here telling everyone what their relationship with God is. It's more like a Shell game where people give you Peeks at what they are thinking, but keep bouncing around avoiding having to state their True beliefs in detail to everyone. And putting it out there for everyone to judge and analyze. As for the Gender thing, the reason I was so vague is that God is different to everyone. Some may see this higher power as a HE, She, It, whatever. So, I am being vague because I want some other people start sharing what their beliefs are, and not just spouting scripture or Science. I'm not a Bug to be studied. I have said as much as I have to try to get people thinking ,questioning, considering, envisioning, etc. Not just the same old bible verses V.S. Science stuff. There are more people on this site, why don't you ask them what their personal relationship with the God of their choosing is?
Your Failure starts from the basic point that you Believe... That's where most fail at rational thought...

Myself I start from the point that I Don't Believe in anything ever... I Know, I Think I Know or I Do Not Know... I never believe because at that point it becomes a religion and I don't believe in religions...
BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137028 Sep 10, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Failure starts from the basic point that you Believe... That's where most fail at rational thought...
Myself I start from the point that I Don't Believe in anything ever... I Know, I Think I Know or I Do Not Know... I never believe because at that point it becomes a religion and I don't believe in religions...
How does " I believe" differ from "I think I know"? You are just playing on words and contradicting yourself. Believing in something doesn't just apply to religions. It sounds as if you are the one who is confused. You seem to be in denial of your own "belief system".

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#137029 Sep 10, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>How does " I believe" differ from "I think I know"? You are just playing on words and contradicting yourself. Believing in something doesn't just apply to religions. It sounds as if you are the one who is confused. You seem to be in denial of your own "belief system".
You should brain storm it... I Think I Know is Far different than I Believe...

Believing in Anything is Religion....

You may believe that I'm in denial of my belief system but I Know I do not have a beleif system to be in denial of....
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137030 Sep 10, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>I started to realize that I seemed to be the only one telling everyone what I believed. I can be more specific, but I don't see anyone else in here telling everyone what their relationship with God is. It's more like a Shell game where people give you Peeks at what they are thinking, but keep bouncing around avoiding having to state their True beliefs in detail to everyone. And putting it out there for everyone to judge and analyze. As for the Gender thing, the reason I was so vague is that God is different to everyone. Some may see this higher power as a HE, She, It, whatever. So, I am being vague because I want some other people start sharing what their beliefs are, and not just spouting scripture or Science. I'm not a Bug to be studied. I have said as much as I have to try to get people thinking ,questioning, considering, envisioning, etc. Not just the same old bible verses V.S. Science stuff. There are more people on this site, why don't you ask them what their personal relationship with the God of their choosing is?
Some people don't want to choose a label for themselves on this thread. Reading what they say will lead people to label them as an agnostic, atheist, humanist, don't believe in anything having to do with religion or just a fence sitter. Fence sitters I read on this tread side mostly with spurious religious claims like drinking deadly poison and it will not hurt you, resurrecting dead people, the flood,noah's ark, hell fire and bible prophecies . Atheist ,agnostic and humanist challenge the validity of religious claims. I'm in the group of atheist, agnostic and humanist. So you can call me a unbeliever.

If a God exists there is a simple test. Go to a cemetery and ask God to resurrect a person who has been dead and buried for some time, and see if the dead person comes out of the ground alive.

Another is to ask God to grow limbs on amputees at a VA hospital. Have a news team to witness it and scientists to verify the claim that this actually happened.

The fear this life is all there is and then "lights out" is just to hard for many to accept. The fear that you will be tortured by god for all eternity will keep you guessing.
BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137031 Sep 10, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people don't want to choose a label for themselves on this thread. Reading what they say will lead people to label them as an agnostic, atheist, humanist, don't believe in anything having to do with religion or just a fence sitter. Fence sitters I read on this tread side mostly with spurious religious claims like drinking deadly poison and it will not hurt you, resurrecting dead people, the flood,noah's ark, hell fire and bible prophecies . Atheist ,agnostic and humanist challenge the validity of religious claims. I'm in the group of atheist, agnostic and humanist. So you can call me a unbeliever.
If a God exists there is a simple test. Go to a cemetery and ask God to resurrect a person who has been dead and buried for some time, and see if the dead person comes out of the ground alive.
Another is to ask God to grow limbs on amputees at a VA hospital. Have a news team to witness it and scientists to verify the claim that this actually happened.
The fear this life is all there is and then "lights out" is just to hard for many to accept. The fear that you will be tortured by god for all eternity will keep you guessing.
Since you offered me some insight, I will trade a thought or two. I'm going to play Devilís Advocate here. When you say "if a god exist then god could do this or that to prove god exist". I suppose that depends on what you the God should be able to do. It also depends on what is the Nature of God. Some religions claim great miracles that God has done. I believe a lot of these miracles came from natural happenings. For example, the parting of the red sea. I think it is very possible that, that incident occurred. However, looking at if from a different context, that event could have very well been a tsunami. One of the characteristics of a tsunami is that the water will recede for a period of time, and then the water will come rushing back in with huge tidal waves. If it did happen, it was quite a coincidence that it happened to this guy who worshiped God, trying to help people avoid being killed. Could that event have happened? Yes. The circumstances behind that event are what are questionable. Synchronicity, luck, timing, something else we don't understand yet? And yes, I know the natural forces that start a tidal wave. Earthquakes raise the sea floor etc. But why did it happen just then?
It could even be that God has limited involvement. Possibly an intelligent 'Something" with the ability to influence others in the areas of say, the mind/ body/Spirit / Energy. Things that deal with health, life, life forces. These need not be just human, they could be all life forms, animals, trees, bugs, etc.
This same intelligent something / version of God/ may not perform tricks such as lets grow a new limb, or a new head.
BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137032 Sep 10, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be that there is a design as to what could or would be done by this version of God. When I say design, I may be referring to intelligent design. I don't know all the religious terms and definitions. But I don't think that it is out of the question of possibilities that, "Something" started everything. That something set into motion all that has followed. The forming of the galaxies through natural occurrences and the evolution of life here on earth.'Though those Amino Acids that got the stew of life going could have come from meteors or, dare I say, Seeded by some other unknown life forms not of this planet. I, think the earth formed the way science said it did. Dust collecting into a mass, with the heavy iron elements at it's core etc. I also believe in evolution and natural selection. You can see it in everyday things. You can look at the fossil records and see how things have advanced through time. How one animal has adapted and evolved over time. Including Man. Though I think what sets us apart from the rest of the animals is, our ability to learn, to be able to envision things past our known environment, to be Self Aware, and the ability to think abstractly. Because I think that even chimpanzees do most of these things but we have an edge in our ability to learn.
BRAIN STORM

Vine Grove, KY

#137033 Sep 10, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to be more specific about these generalities - give examples. specificity is always helpful so we know what you mean and what point of view you are promoting.
For example, Lots of scientists donít believe in things like Ghosts, Miracles, or Divine intervention, they think that they are illusions or tricks of the mind. Anything, but what they obviously are to most everyone else. There have been thousands of eyewitness and videos to Ghosts, and Physical things being moved without physical human interaction. There are Cases of, people getting better when they should have died. Something, besides what is currently understood by science is at work here. But a skeptical scientist would refuse all that evidence, eyewitness, and videos and call it anything except what it is.
I can remember a story of a boy on TV when I was a kid. He had a brain tumor. It was large. When they were doing test on him, they noticed that the tumor seemed to be shrinking. The doctors were wondering how this was happening. The kid told them that when he would lay down at night, he imagined a laser zapping the tumor and making it go away. I donít know what happened to the kid in later life but the EEGs showed that the tumor had almost disappeared. Most people would say that something beyond the physical was going on there. The body just doesnít cure brain tumors on itís own. Some type of energy must have been at play. Some type of divine intervention. But a scientist would say, they donít know, he must have just gotten lucky. It wasnít a tumor it must have been a misdiagnosis, He hit the Life Lottery as it were.
If everyone around sees a Bright Green Sign, and only you and a few others are the only ones who see the same sign as Blue, then itís obvious that the ones who saw a Blue sign need to get their eyes checked. Because they odiously donít know what the color Green is when itís right in front of them. Or they are color blind. I suppose that blindness can affect more than colors.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#137034 Sep 10, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
I can remember a story of a boy on TV when I was a kid. He had a brain tumor. It was large. When they were doing test on him, they noticed that the tumor seemed to be shrinking. The doctors were wondering how this was happening. The kid told them that when he would lay down at night, he imagined a laser zapping the tumor and making it go away. I donít know what happened to the kid in later life but the EEGs showed that the tumor had almost disappeared. Most people would say that something beyond the physical was going on there. The body just doesnít cure brain tumors on itís own. Some type of energy must have been at play. Some type of divine intervention.
So this kid's parents were repeatedly taking him to doctors...but the doctors weren't performing any treatments at all?

Your son has a large brain tumor. But, we're not going to perform surgery, chemo, or radiation. Just gonna do nothing.

Even taking the story at face value, I don't know why one would choose to believe "divine energy" is a more reasonable explanation than something like "the immune system was able to fight the cancer effectively for reasons we're unsure of".

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Location hidden

#137035 Sep 11, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>I posted as Hillbilly in this post on accident so I will answer your question. First need to look at the prior discussions between Duquette and Brainstorm. A lot of your questions and statements I addressed to him, that way I don't have to keep repeating myself and my point of view.
You are assuming you know how and what I feel about my creator. I just stated what I thought about the nature of our Souls / Spirit energy, our roles, and the nature of heaven and hell. I never addressed what I thought about my creator, except that he may have had a purpose for us and that he / it may have helped create everything else. You are assuming the nature of God and how you think we should have evolved into the people we are. Again, you seem to be debating with me, assuming that I take a total Christians point of view, that is a false assumption. Who is the one jumping to conclusions now, without having all the evidence in? I "think" i addressed the topic of free will with Duquette somewhere in here. You can read that.
No, this thread is thousands of pages long. I will not be digging back through it. I take your word that you discussed this previously.

I made no assumptions. I believe my statement included the "if you are talking about this god" disclaimer. If you are not, then there you go.

What is a soul? What is a spirit? Can you identify what those things are, give us examples, and define them in such a way that they are useful ideas? Clearly no such things have been discovered in all the ages of human thought. I accept that using these words descriptively is fine and dandy...the spirit of this debate is lively, though often negative...many people I've met are good souls. And so on.

But you are using terms like "spirit energy" (even capitalizing them) as if they have a definition we should all know. Can you define them?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Location hidden

#137036 Sep 11, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>
For example, Lots of scientists donít believe in things like Ghosts, Miracles, or Divine intervention, they think that they are illusions or tricks of the mind. Anything, but what they obviously are to most everyone else. There have been thousands of eyewitness and videos to Ghosts, and Physical things being moved without physical human interaction. There are Cases of, people getting better when they should have died. Something, besides what is currently understood by science is at work here. But a skeptical scientist would refuse all that evidence, eyewitness, and videos and call it anything except what it is.
I can remember a story of a boy on TV when I was a kid. He had a brain tumor. It was large. When they were doing test on him, they noticed that the tumor seemed to be shrinking. The doctors were wondering how this was happening. The kid told them that when he would lay down at night, he imagined a laser zapping the tumor and making it go away. I donít know what happened to the kid in later life but the EEGs showed that the tumor had almost disappeared. Most people would say that something beyond the physical was going on there. The body just doesnít cure brain tumors on itís own. Some type of energy must have been at play. Some type of divine intervention. But a scientist would say, they donít know, he must have just gotten lucky. It wasnít a tumor it must have been a misdiagnosis, He hit the Life Lottery as it were.
If everyone around sees a Bright Green Sign, and only you and a few others are the only ones who see the same sign as Blue, then itís obvious that the ones who saw a Blue sign need to get their eyes checked. Because they odiously donít know what the color Green is when itís right in front of them. Or they are color blind. I suppose that blindness can affect more than colors.
No, there are not thousands of videos of ghosts. There are thousands of videos purporting to be of ghosts but none have been confirmed and virtually ALL of them are debunked in the end. In an age where nearly every person in the country (and in many other countries) has a powerful, high-resolution video camera in their pocket we still do not have evidence of ghosts. Or Bigfoot. Or alien spacecraft. Surely that fact tells you something important?

Regarding medicine, you have to understand that while we have amazing medical technology and fruitful theories about disease we certainly do not understand it all. The placebo effect, for example, is sort of a placeholder term used to describe a range of effect that is hard to quantify. Without having immediate and perfect knowledge about what is happening inside a body it is really impossible to always know exactly what is going on. When a tumor spontaneously shrinks very often doctors can only say "I don't know" and move on.

Sure, you CAN stick a supernatural belief into the gap in knowledge. But why would you? It is actually OK to say "I don't know". We used to have no idea about germs. People believed that demons and devils were causing disease. We didn't know. Now we DO know, and demons and devils are not part of the explanation.

Why insert wild ideas where there is no evidence to support those ideas? Especially if you cannot even define what those ideas actually are. "Spirit" and "soul" are loosey-goosey words without real application. Where do I point to a soul? Or a ghost? Is a ghost just a memory? Then why not call it a memory since we know memories are real? If a tumor goes away on its own what's wrong with saying we don't know why? It leaves room for smart people to do research and figure it out instead of publishing coffee table books about fairies and spooks.(Mind you I enjoy books about fairies and spooks!)

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#137037 Sep 11, 2014
colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point lol? My point is you need help if you don't believe in the Lord.lol. now your point???
I thought that I already made it clear - what part of it did your mind blank out?
That you believe what makes you feel good - its called delusion or in the extreme, psychosis. I don't need that emotional crutch and I don't think that children would be well served by making the government spoon feed them metaphysical fairy tales as reality.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#137038 Sep 11, 2014
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Then they would look up the words in red in other texts, and some of them are really wild. Jesus on the whole is much nicer than God, but he has his slipups also. I think it is OK to question whether such a person even existed - he could be a composite of various prophets, priests, preachers, wannabe messiahs, and persecuted minority thinkers, along with a bit of Essene views - Dead Sea Scrolls texts. Certainly neither he nor anyone else is exclusively the only son of God, and could not be a begotten son of God unless either 1) God raped Mary when she was not conscious, or 2) the Holy Ghost raped Mary (presumably it is invisible)- since she did not recall it happening according to the book. Not nice of God- It sounds like violence against women and God belongs in jail. All the more so since he allegedly did it on purpose in order to beget a son to arrange to have murdered savagely - not a nice daddy. Child abuse there.
Difference between most Christian rightwingers and other terrorists is that Christian rightwingers worship a terrorist God, which promises to do evil painful things to people after they are dead - thus sparing the delicate sensibilities of rightwing Christians who do not want to witness it. Although some of them seem to want to be raptured up to sit beside God and Jesus to watch all the horrors inflicted on all those socalled left behind, all the plagues and wars and such. They are a bit closer to the voyeurs of ancient Rome who liked to see early Christians thrown to lions. Not nice to either early Christians or to lions - not nice of God to create a world in which such things happen.
Not nice God. Good thing if one does not believe in such a creator God.
Only sensible view of a God that exists is that God is a name for all that exists. So it suffers and inflicts suffering, creates and destroys beauty, and is the sacrifice and the killer both. poor thing.
Sometimes I'll ruminate on stories in the Bible just to expose how inconsistent they are with the Christian mainstream message. I don't personally worry overly much about the legend of Jesus or ponder whether God was a rapist, adulterer or both. I take it as a fair appraisal that Jesus was Joseph's son and a social reformer in a time and place that needed and wanted one - nothing more and nothing less. I suppose I could spend some effort to peer down the rabbit hole of rightwing Christian core beliefs and motivations, but I've never enjoyed psychological thrillers. Some people are suited to investigate abnormal psychology and some are fascinated by how psychos think and what they do. I'm not.
There are some lofty and ethereal notions of what God is. Man has been trying to explain the universe and his special place in it for thousands of years, so they've invented stories to cope with the unknown. Stick to the evidence - the god of the Bible is not so lofty. He displays all of the personality traits of an ordinary human because he was created by ordinary humans - nothing more.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#137039 Sep 11, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>It could be that there is a design as to what could or would be done by this version of God. When I say design, I may be referring to intelligent design. I don't know all the religious terms and definitions. But I don't think that it is out of the question of possibilities that, "Something" started everything. That something set into motion all that has followed. The forming of the galaxies through natural occurrences and the evolution of life here on earth.'Though those Amino Acids that got the stew of life going could have come from meteors or, dare I say, Seeded by some other unknown life forms not of this planet. I, think the earth formed the way science said it did. Dust collecting into a mass, with the heavy iron elements at it's core etc. I also believe in evolution and natural selection. You can see it in everyday things. You can look at the fossil records and see how things have advanced through time. How one animal has adapted and evolved over time. Including Man. Though I think what sets us apart from the rest of the animals is, our ability to learn, to be able to envision things past our known environment, to be Self Aware, and the ability to think abstractly. Because I think that even chimpanzees do most of these things but we have an edge in our ability to learn.
Pantheism?
colt 45

Tampa, FL

#137040 Sep 11, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that I already made it clear - what part of it did your mind blank out?
That you believe what makes you feel good - its called delusion or in the extreme, psychosis. I don't need that emotional crutch and I don't think that children would be well served by making the government spoon feed them metaphysical fairy tales as reality.
enough of your non-sence I trust in God and hope someday you find him. I'm not going to keep going back at fourth. With a ill immature person needing attention. You just need plenty of prayers for you.lol...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#137041 Sep 11, 2014
colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text> For me to know. The Lord knows and for you not to know.
I do not think you do know. I think you are just repeating the typical party line and cannot back it up as usual with your kind.
FYI

Madison, TN

#137042 Sep 11, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Show the words you claim the constitution holds-"the government can't make laws to impose a religion on you and it can not make laws that persecute your religion. "
It is simply your interpretation, as a separation of church and state is our interpretation.
I feel the government should not make law respecting the establishment of Christianity by having bible study and no other holy book study.
You see, the topic in question is about propping up one religion over the other, which I feel is the message of the constitution.
That is the message of the constitution, this country was founded on Christianity, in one form or another, so of course the constitution will support it. The majority of Middle Eastern Countries teach Islam in their schools, do you think they give a second thought to teaching other religions because they have a diverse population? You don't have to accept it or believe it but by choosing to live in a country founded on Christianity you have to deal with it. Furthermore,, that is not simply my interpretation of the first amendment, I am a religious studies major and that is the consensus interpretation of our government. Its been said before and i'll say it again, if you don't like what this country stands for then find another one. I'm sure you will find problems with it as well. In addition this is not about teaching beliefs or theology, if that's what they choose to take from it then that's fine, this is teaching not preaching. And that's exactly what this is about teaching children their history and the history of the world. This Country and civilization as a whole would not be what it is today without the Bible and Christianity.

By the way. I do not profess to be a Christian but I know what is right and I know what is wrong!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137043 Sep 11, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is also just.
There is so much more to this than I can explain.
Just another claim of the party line the typical believer repeats and cannot back up.

Location hidden

#137044 Sep 11, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the message of the constitution, this country was founded on Christianity, in one form or another, so of course the constitution will support it.
This country was founded with secular principles, including the Separation of Church and State.
FYI wrote:
The majority of Middle Eastern Countries teach Islam in their schools, do you think they give a second thought to teaching other religions because they have a diverse population?
No, and that's a reason why those countries are worse than ours.
FYI wrote:
Its been said before and i'll say it again, if you don't like what this country stands for then find another one. I'm sure you will find problems with it as well. In addition this is not about teaching beliefs or theology, if that's what they choose to take from it then that's fine, this is teaching not preaching.
An elective, scholarly course on the Bible would be permissible in public schools. The problem is that Christians pushing for teaching the Bible in schools rarely want it to be elective or scholarly. It is about preaching.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#137045 Sep 11, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to keep ignoring the fact that we were given dominion over this earth and it is a very important point. God does not cave into our desires...we have a say in the flow of so many things but not everything. We were given some authority but not all authority.
The prisoners of war is only one of many given to you...so no manure on my side.
Confederate apologist giving excuses for their slave labor??? Hmmm...will have to see later where you are coming from with this comment.
People did and said so many wrong and terrible things in the Bible...so so many. What is wrong is wrong, even though we chose to do it, paid the price for it which is death regarding sin; with good or bad intentions, the list goes on and on.
You did not give me the ability pertaining to anything moral, thus you have no say in that arena.
First, it is not fact humans have dominion over the earth, it is just what your superstition party line says, and I find it causes more harm than good. As in the case of you trying to justify slavery. And you acted as if the only slavery the bible was speaking to was indentured servitude, so I called bullwhip on your deception or ignorance. As the bible clearly says you can enslave women and children of lands conquered. Sounds most barbaric and immoral. The fact you defend it shows me you have no or little ability to understand good morality.

I can try to give you something pertaining to morality, and that is logical ideas, but you reject them due to your superstition morality only is of your god. And that is just more BS.

If you do not know of the obvious point of Confederates using your sort of logic, then you are seriously ignorant of American history. No surprise there. Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Mills 5 min justsayin 1
Disability Fraud 3 hr Government Fraud 33
Need Deep freezer 7 hr Info 1
Carolyn Gray 7 hr Ellen 5
lynn camp 9 hr panther 19
close these game rooms down 10 hr jack 2
Rabbitt cox arrest 17 hr jack 6
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE