Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 172981 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

BRAIN STORM

Campbellsville, KY

#136894 Sep 5, 2014
I think everyone has the right to believe what they want. I sure can't argue scripture with you guys, because I'm not familiar with them, nor would I want to. I'm not into blind faith, just taking the word of a book as the Word of God. I hate to be the one to point out the Obvious, but everyone is arguing over a book that was written by MEN. Lots of different men. Just looking at the facts, each of those people in that "BOOK" has their own take of what God has passed on to them. How can someone take the word of lots of someones they have never met or spoken to? I know this is gonna upset some people but for example, when Moses saw that burning bush, who's to say he didn't have a fever or was on some type of drug? No one was there. And all of those other claims and scriptures, rules and visions etc, from all those different people. Again, everyone is arguing and debating over a book that was written by men and taking it as the true word of God. You guys don't see an obvious problem with this?

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#136895 Sep 5, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."
Deuteronomy 23:1
Ummmm...if "stones" means genitals.....then "stoning" should mean beating someone (male or female) to death with genitals... which sounds suspiously like rape.

How very Islamic, where women are "punished" for various real or imagined offenses by being raped.

Bible or Koran, both are disgustingly barbaric.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#136896 Sep 5, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
I think everyone has the right to believe what they want. I sure can't argue scripture with you guys, because I'm not familiar with them, nor would I want to. I'm not into blind faith, just taking the word of a book as the Word of God. I hate to be the one to point out the Obvious, but everyone is arguing over a book that was written by MEN. Lots of different men. Just looking at the facts, each of those people in that "BOOK" has their own take of what God has passed on to them. How can someone take the word of lots of someones they have never met or spoken to? I know this is gonna upset some people but for example, when Moses saw that burning bush, who's to say he didn't have a fever or was on some type of drug? No one was there. And all of those other claims and scriptures, rules and visions etc, from all those different people. Again, everyone is arguing and debating over a book that was written by men and taking it as the true word of God. You guys don't see an obvious problem with this?
Who are you arguing with? Of course >we< guys see the obvious problems will all of this . It is the religious folks who think that being rational, thinking critically and logically assessing the evidence are "deceits of Satan."
The point is not whether people have right to believe what they want, it is that those beliefs do not grant any license to govern others via psychosis, delusion, superstition and mythology.
BRAIN STORM

Campbellsville, KY

#136897 Sep 5, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you arguing with? Of course >we< guys see the obvious problems will all of this . It is the religious folks who think that being rational, thinking critically and logically assessing the evidence are "deceits of Satan."
The point is not whether people have right to believe what they want, it is that those beliefs do not grant any license to govern others via psychosis, delusion, superstition and mythology.
I wasn't arguing with anyone, just pointing out the obvious.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#136899 Sep 5, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>Sure your theory's "could" be possible, but "I" don't believe that was the case. I think I would have remembered having that dream in the past. I suppose it's possible that I did not remember it, It's just my opinion that I had never had that dream before. I think I would have remembered If I woke up crying another time. It's not something that happens to me. I may be sensitive, but not that sensitive. That's not a knee jerk response, that's what I believe because, the evidence says otherwise. No other waking up in the middle of the night distraught because a family member died dreams that I could recall. I think I would have remembered the waking up part in the middle of the night, having trouble going back to sleep because of A dream.
I made no claim about you waking up crying, as I do not recall you talking about that part before. I am simply talking about dreams and how we often do not recall them.
To claim you have not dreamed this before is an impossible claim to make, as we do not recall most of our dreams.
If this dream woke you, then is another reason you likely remembered it.
Even if it was the only dream of that sort, it still defies no science we know. Our brain takes practice runs of different scenarios to better equip us to deal with situations. In this case, it seems to be a perfect textbook example.
You can reject it all you wish, but it shows me just another example of your claims that have a plausible natural reason behind it. I see no reason to assume your experiences were less than natural.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136900 Sep 5, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>As a side note: You were probably studying the wrong kind of book to get the results you wanted with the women. Try reading, "How to become an Alpha Male by John Alexander, The Natural by, Richard La Ruina, Or " The A Game by Logan Edwards", your results should skyrocket. ;)
Sometimes you just need a different perspective to get the results you are looking for. Just trying to help, cause I'm nice like that.
My story had nothing to do with me getting women, it had to do with dealing with knowing what so many thought.
I am sure playing games(as the title of the book suggests) can trick women into going out with you. I feel being myself is the way I should go.
The glares of the Alpha males in the club was bothersome. I did sense a game of intimidation going on.
I am not rejecting the book, just giving my first thoughts on it. I suppose I am judging the book by its cover.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136901 Sep 5, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>As a side note: You were probably studying the wrong kind of book to get the results you wanted with the women. Try reading, "How to become an Alpha Male by John Alexander, The Natural by, Richard La Ruina, Or " The A Game by Logan Edwards", your results should skyrocket. ;)
Sometimes you just need a different perspective to get the results you are looking for. Just trying to help, cause I'm nice like that.
And I was not studying the book for the reasons you cite, but it does help one to know who is actually interested.
I study a lot of evolutionary psychology, and this lead me to the body language books.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136902 Sep 5, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you been to Walmart lately?... You try reading body language there and you will go blind...
I went the other day with my Obama t shirt on. Can you imagine the looks I got?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136903 Sep 5, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you been to Walmart lately?... You try reading body language there and you will go blind...
Oh, and the shirt said Obama 44. The cashier asked what that meant, so I explained it. She said that is the sort of stuff only Jeopardy players know.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#136904 Sep 5, 2014
BRAIN STORM wrote:
<quoted text>I wasn't arguing with anyone, just pointing out the obvious.
The obvious is that the story of Moses and the burning bush is wholly unsubstantiated. There simply isn't evidence to propose that any part of it took place, much less that Moses was imagining or hallucinating or that the event(s) happened at all. We might as well ruminate conjectures about what precise shade of blue Babe the ox was. I have discussed elements of the story of the Exodus simply to point out the ample foibles and hypocrisy of modern believers in bronze age mythology.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#136905 Sep 5, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
I went the other day with my Obama t shirt on. Can you imagine the looks I got?
Surprised someone didn't pee on it.... ;)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#136906 Sep 5, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Surprised someone didn't pee on it.... ;)
Depending on what state he lives in I might be more surprised the cashier could read it.
"What is there is no P in Obama?" for a bag of Ol' Roy, Alex.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#136907 Sep 5, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
"You compare the channels to find fault with those who don't say the same things you want to hear "
Really? How about just hearing about the stuff your guys want hidden... that's more like it!
CNN broke the VA scandal.... I guess that was no biggie for you...
IRS, Fast n furious, NSA, Holder, AP, Benghazi, race baiting, class warfare,
warfare on women, not a smidgen of corruption in this transparently corrupt white house...
I believe in what is RIGHT, not what is WRONG!
BTW In the polls, Fox news is the most trusted source... you can go back to your MSNBC!
British Prime Minister David Cameron does not have a problem working with Obama to defeat ISIS. Seems only right wing religious fanatics do. All the things you preach is to undermine a president when we are at war, unwittingly you are helping the enemies of our country. The republicans cannot even come up with a plan for war, when question by news anchors.

The fog of war you will not understand until you have mistakenly slaughtered one of our soldiers in war. You never been to war, so you have no idea.

News flash!!
The Prime Minister held crisis talks with Barack Obama in an attempt to form a coalition of Nato members willing to respond to the Isil jihadists

Britain gears up for war on Isil with plans for air strikes in Iraq and Syria
Britain could launch air strikes in Iraq and Syria within weeks after David Cameron set out a potential timetable for a military intervention and pledged to “use everything we have in our armoury” to wipe out Islamist terrorists.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#136908 Sep 5, 2014
Duck Dynasty Christian crusader war plan.

Phil Robertson, the controversial star of the reality TV show Duck Dynasty, appeared on Sean Hannity’s show last night, where he used predictably terrible theology to argue that radical Muslim militants in Iraq should only be given two choices: convert to Christianity, or die. I wonder if this right-wing conservative thinks the same about Atheists?

http://thinkprogress.org/home/2014/09/03/3478...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136909 Sep 5, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Or being called closed minded for being skeptical.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136910 Sep 5, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The obvious is that the story of Moses and the burning bush is wholly unsubstantiated. There simply isn't evidence to propose that any part of it took place, much less that Moses was imagining or hallucinating or that the event(s) happened at all. We might as well ruminate conjectures about what precise shade of blue Babe the ox was. I have discussed elements of the story of the Exodus simply to point out the ample foibles and hypocrisy of modern believers in bronze age mythology.
But there is a lesson to be learned from leaders like the fabled Moses. If you do not worship the god he invented, he will order you killed. So the lesson is, don't follow religious dictators, or maybe any dictator.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136911 Sep 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
Duck Dynasty Christian crusader war plan.
Phil Robertson, the controversial star of the reality TV show Duck Dynasty, appeared on Sean Hannity’s show last night, where he used predictably terrible theology to argue that radical Muslim militants in Iraq should only be given two choices: convert to Christianity, or die. I wonder if this right-wing conservative thinks the same about Atheists?
http://thinkprogress.org/home/2014/09/03/3478...
Surely every believer on this thread will defend the words of Duck man. I am pretty sure he was at Wall Mart.
Hannity had him on knowing full well he would say some stupid shit that would cause ratings to go up just to watch the side show. And of course he delivered on cue. Hannity set him up for a slam dunk.
And to all you who thought I was crazy for pointing out the Moses story of kill the non believers, take a look at this moron with a beard and a TV show. He said "convert them or kill them".
He may have well said, lets start a holy war.
He did not just flub out one quote, but several that were all this theme.
Every one needs to see this, as it is the new topic of this thread for the next week or two.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136912 Sep 5, 2014
Robertson was invited onto the show to promote his new book “unPHILtered: The Way I See It,” but Hannity immediately asked the duck call mogul how the United States should respond to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the radical Muslim group currently terrorizing Syria and Iraq and beheading western journalists. Robertson responded by opening his Bible, pulling out his Declaration of Independence bookmark, and citing verses such as 1 John 5, which he said divides the world into “two groups of people,”— the “children of God,” or Christians, and those under the power of the “evil one,” who he implied was both ISIS and possibly all Muslims. He also cited Proverbs 8:36, or “all who hate me, love death,” before boiling down his understanding of the ISIS situation into a single grim choice.

“I think you either have to convert them … or kill them. One or the other,” Robertson said.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136913 Sep 5, 2014
Typical extremist hypocrisy.

Although many Christians — including Pope Francis — struggle with how to respond to ISIS, there is an especially dark irony to Robertson’s comments: he claims it as a Christian position, but the dualistic “convert or kill” ideology is also known to be the horrific calling card of ISIS. Multiple reports indicate that ISIS soldiers issue hard-lined ultimatums to the denizens of cities they conquer, demanding that they either convert to their radical interpretation of Islam, pay a tax, leave, or die. They are especially ruthless to religious minorities they encounter, such as the thousands of the Yazidis recently trapped on Mount Sinjar and Christians who are regularly abused at the hands of their soldiers.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#136915 Sep 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
But there is a lesson to be learned from leaders like the fabled Moses. If you do not worship the god he invented, he will order you killed. So the lesson is, don't follow religious dictators, or maybe any dictator.
Funny... I thought American Christians claim to be all about Democracy and having an equal and fair say in how things ought to be run - but they love, love, love them some Jewish bosses, tyrants and kings of antiquity, so It appears I was wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barbourville homewreckers. 10 min Yeller 6
Can AD Canady actually walk? 12 min Voters 37
Bob Frederick for Judge Ex. Has To Be A Joke LO... 35 min voter 8
John barger Busted and in Jail 38 min superman kelly 27
they need to put a lot more in jail 2 hr arrest bunch 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 1,736
James Rodney Philpot 2 hr Renter 3
who's everyone voting for judge exe ? 12 hr Jesus Just Left B... 35

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web