Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 161062 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

AWitchintheWoods

Mount Vernon, KY

#136512 Aug 24, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea but I like a challenge ;)
and certainly you'll have one, since I haven't a clue about connective molecules.
Gumball, fresh out of the penny machine...
SNYB

Mount Vernon, KY

#136513 Aug 24, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
String theory is very intriguing. It still hasn't been demonstrated, though it also hasn't been refuted by any smoking-gun evidence.
I'm with you in that there are things about the universe we don't know. LOTS of things. But I draw the line at inserting your favored magic, mysticism, or pseudoscience into the knowledge gap. The moment a person starts using string theory or quantum theory to prop up a claim about god or gods is the moment you know that person does not know what they are talking about.
If I don't know what happened last night on the Moon I am not justified in claiming that Bigfoot farted on the Loch Ness Monster while doing donuts in a Moon buggy. All I can say is that I don't know what happened last night on the Moon except maybe not a lot.
I believe that's (the "string theory") what Q was trying to express with his postulation on "TOE"...which I for one...would disagree with as well.
"Mystic psuedo science" inserted into the gaps already developed theories, does Not logic out either (Q,) because there IS a difference between QE and QC...so SOME of is are Not believing that "it's all strung together"...(especially as a TOE) hokeyus pocus NONsense.

And thank you Yiago for your admirable ability of admitting, you do NOT know (either)--as I find that type of thing to be FAR more honest, ethical and realistic.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#136514 Aug 25, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote from article shows,
"It centres around the peculiar theory in quantum mechanics that empty space is not really empty at all."
Thanks for the input. I read that the scientist use a interference device (SQUID) to modulate microwave photons within the vacuum, sounds similar to your postulate where SPPs can heterodyne the frequency to increase or decrease wave length and amplitude of the SPPs along the tensor?
Admit this is way out of my pay grade, but find it interesting.
It's precisely as mentioned in my postulate.. There really isn't a "Thing" called a photon ... what we perceive as a photon is just a em wave and when we attempt to observe it the act of observing interacts with the observed and is perceived as a energy point in zero time giving it the perception as a "thing" or Photon... The problem we have is the interconnection between Us, what we attempt to observe and any device used to observe... Because we don't actually consider the quantum connection when we do experimentation and modeling we take out the idea of intrinsic bias in the experiment and models we form giving us very complex mathematical models and all sorts of assumptions to describe the observed... But in doing so it eliminates the possibility to explain the causations of several aspects of the Universe... Such as Gravity, Magnetism and quantum connectivity and requires assuming multiple dimensions for the maths to work out....

In my postulate I only need 4 dimensions (3 spacial and 1 ethereal) and a single type of physical particle to explain the universe from the Micro to the Macro... Give the direct cause of gravity and combine R,SR, QM into a simple explanation of the universe....

But I could be wrong ;)
AAA

United States

#136515 Aug 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Looks as if you have no idea what a Deist is by definition. Deists believe in god, atheists do not.
Finally you understand something! Yes Mike, a deist believes in God, or a god,,,,, But a deist believes God or a god started everything up in the universe, and then dissappeared, never to return!!

The only thing anyone has to do is find where someone prayed to Christ, or made mention of something that God did, or talk about something God is going to do,, to PROVE without a showdown of a doubt they are not a deist,,,, all of our Founding Fathers but two were definetely not deist!! That's not a theory Mike,, it's FACT!!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136516 Aug 25, 2014
AAA wrote:
I just watched something interesting!!!
They were carbon dating , and around 10 ft down they dated around 10 million years, at 25 ft it was somewhere around 30 million years.
They started digging sideways across the mountain, and found an intact petrified tree still standing up right!!
They dated the top of the tree at 10 million years old, and the bottom at 30 million!!! Lol.!!
They do that all the time, and "Try" to explain it away...
I like the ones where they find artifacts in coal seams dated at several millions of years old!
They hide the truth in unrighteousness, and willfully ignorant of the complexity of living cells...
just so they can fornicate, and kill their young in the womb!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136517 Aug 25, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Britain will have to brace for some ISIS activity. Britain, France ,Germany and U.S. are targets for this violent group.
Radical Islamic sect 'has half of Britain's mosques in its grip'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-48047...
Cue the "DUH"!
When you take Christ out of the country... Satan rolls in!
and don't give me that "y-all worship the same god crap"!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136518 Aug 25, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Long ago some primitive caught some wild turkeys, peacocks, and assorted game birds and made pens to keep them in for use as food and found that if they kept them they would lay eggs and it made it easer to use the eggs and birds for food since they didn't have to hunt them... As they fed them and found that some of the eggs that hatched had some differences... so they stuck them together and hatched eggs and matched different variations together until what we today call a chicken slowly evolved due to humans changing the breeding pressures ... then over 1000's of years we end up with modern chickens of various breeds... It's like the Turkeys we bred to be all white with larger breasts, different variations of cows, dogs and cats... There was never a wild game bird called a Chicken... it's a Human bred variation of a game foul and was named Chicken after it was bred to a domesticated animal...
Like the way Humans made Chihuahuas .. there were never packs of roaming wild Chihuahua's ... Humans Made them by selective breeding of Wolves....
Notice....
No chicken ever laid a dog!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136519 Aug 25, 2014
&fe ature=player_embedded

When we understand the text!

wwutt.com
AAA

United States

#136520 Aug 25, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>They do that all the time, and "Try" to explain it away...
I like the ones where they find artifacts in coal seams dated at several millions of years old!
They hide the truth in unrighteousness, and willfully ignorant of the complexity of living cells...
just so they can fornicate, and kill their young in the womb!
Willfully ignorant is a very good description!!!

Anyone who has read the prophesies of the Bible, and can't see what's going on around them today,, are definitely willfully ignorant!!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#136521 Aug 25, 2014
Mark
8:34 And when he had called the people [to him] with his
disciples also, he said to them, Whoever will come after me,
let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
8:35 For whoever will save his life, shall lose it; but whoever
shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same
shall save it.
8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole
world, and lose his own soul:
8:37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
8:38 Whoever therefore shall be ashamed of me, and of my words,
in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also will the
Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his
Father with the holy angels.

Thank you Lord :-)

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#136522 Aug 25, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible very well backs up all the questions it is meant to with the answers. Many just do not wish to see or hear them.
No, it doesn't. Making claims is not the same as backing them up. Every religion makes claims.

Location hidden

#136523 Aug 25, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
Here is what I have found regarding the topic of slavery....
The slavery that took place in the USA, which became institutionalized-God did not condone. Slavery was part of the culture in the Bible days. A person who was under another, as in those under a king (his subjects), were referred to as slaves or servants. Even, all subjects of the king were called his slaves. Though, there was a form equal to that of binding contracted for labor and services. As well as the form for debts, restitution, etc. Additionally, some were mentioned as being slaves for a lifetime. It did not have anything to do with racism or skin color (or nationality per se).
This is blatantly false propaganda.

The slavery in the Bible involved the capture or purchase of people and owning them as property, which could be inherited by one's children. It WAS explicitly racist because the Bible laws on slavery prohibited the Hebrews from doing this to other Hebrews alone.

Location hidden

#136524 Aug 25, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who has read the prophesies of the Bible, and can't see what's going on around them today,, are definitely willfully ignorant!!
Give me 3 prophecies which are specifically true for today, but not any other time in history.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#136525 Aug 25, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Notice....
No chicken ever laid a dog!
LOL I think that some will claim that an atheist chicken may have perpetrated that act or vice versa..
Some atheists claim to have laid a sheep....Peter Singer...
Not sure what they meant by that.....Sounds gross.....LOL

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#136526 Aug 25, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally you understand something! Yes Mike, a deist believes in God, or a god,,,,, But a deist believes God or a god started everything up in the universe, and then dissappeared, never to return!!
The only thing anyone has to do is find where someone prayed to Christ, or made mention of something that God did, or talk about something God is going to do,, to PROVE without a showdown of a doubt they are not a deist,,,, all of our Founding Fathers but two were definetely not deist!! That's not a theory Mike,, it's FACT!!
Most terms concerning religion are not one size fits all perfect. Just as you confused the term 'atheism'. Each person may have a slightly different idea on the god issue.
Then we have the issue of a politician trying to hold power by speaking of his constituents god.
Then you have the fact peoples beliefs change during their lifetimes.... sometimes.
For example, I have prayed many times. Does that make me a believer, or a former believer?
Trying to define another persons beliefs is problematic.
We can certainly see many of the founders were often critical of religion, and formed a country that had secular principles to ensure our laws were not of theocracy.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136527 Aug 25, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think humans are any worse than in the past. There are always some bad people, and some good people.
I am glad secularism is slowing Christians from its murderous reign. The inquisitions and crusades were a pretty bad time. Did the bible predict them?
Maybe you just cannot appreciate the good of this world, and have a pessimistic outlook.

If you feel the future is predicted accurately, then you must not believe in free will. Are you claiming the future is not in our hands?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#136528 Aug 25, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your claim is disputed by other scientists,therefore your claim is not factual, period
As you know,evolution has other more important problems that they are unable to answer.
They do not know the origins of life,intelligence or consciousness,
It is on that foundation of " We don't know" that they stack up hypothesis and the theories which
seek to explain our existence.
Some claim that a single replicating cell is responsible..The question is, How did that single replicating cell come into existence? How did the information contaiend in that cell get there?
If the human species came into existence by the evolutionary method , then why is it necessary for the sperm of a male to fertilize the egg of a female in order for the continuation of the species.
Why ,when,where and how did that become necessary?
It is not a question of Goddidit? It is a question of which is more plausible, a random,unguided unintelligent nonliving ans nonconscious method oR ID.?
These are the questions that neither science or atheist evolutionists are able to answer.
They do however try to fill inthe gaps in their theories by c laiming it takes billions of years for these events to take place,,Billions of years do nothing to confirm their beliefs.
What is even more unrealistic is that in order for the continuation of the species the male sperm,with all it's different properties would have to form itself, independent of the female egg,with all it's properties to form a perfect match so that when fertilized a new member of the species would be created.....All this was accomplished by some random unintelligent and unguided method?
You have stated that it is plausible that the churning of the elements over a period of billions of years is a plausible explanation.....Whaaaat ???
I supplied evidence of my claim. I can supply more if you wish. The idea of birds evolving from dinosaurs arose shortly after Darwin. Because of the abundance of fossils that show a clear relationship.
Now you can claim the scientists are just all confused about their findings, but then again, we know you are a paranoid conspiracy theorist that does not believe any science that does not conform to your holy book dogma.
I see you are already diverting from the topic.
You are simply piling on accusations to divert.
If you wish to show evidence that dinosaurs are not related to birds, go for it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#136529 Aug 25, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>
which two? and why the hostility? do you consider yourself a deist or what is your view if not? is it possible to discuss the issues without personal hostilities at least among those of us who are highly educated and interested in precise definitions. I am more comfortable when it is just the uneducated, uninformed, superstitious types who are hotheads.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#136530 Aug 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think humans are any worse than in the past. There are always some bad people, and some good people.
I am glad secularism is slowing Christians from its murderous reign. The inquisitions and crusades were a pretty bad time. Did the bible predict them?
Maybe you just cannot appreciate the good of this world, and have a pessimistic outlook.
If you feel the future is predicted accurately, then you must not believe in free will. Are you claiming the future is not in our hands?
that was to triple a. someone I do not know yet - since I only return to this forum infrequently - at least until now. but hot summer drives me inside. I am a global warming worrier. Not a believer, since that implies that it would be a matter of faith, not a matter of fact. I believe in an approach to the question of global climate change that I call rational risk assessment. It is more rational - when we do not know enough facts for certain - to take the things we know into consideration, and compare the risks of taking two different courses of action, if we happen to be mistaken. The risk of not controlling carbon dioxide emissions, and methane and other dangerous additives to the atmosphere, and finding out too late that we have not saved human life on this planet from great suffering and even elimination, is much greater than the risk of spending more money faster on sustainable energy, energy efficiency, and energy conservation than we really need to do it for climate protection reasons.
We at least need to do it for geopolitical reasons anyhow - since too much of the oil supply is in the hands of Arab Muslim Nations, Iran, and Russia, and a high demand for oil allows them to keep us from being effective in opposing them when they do very bad things - such as being imperalists or terrorists, or supporting them financially.
I wish it were possible to have more intelligent discussions with folks like you, rather than just wasting time in argument with the rightwing true believers in any religion. I find them all to be unacceptable. I even find those who claim to know there is no God to be a bit too dogmatic and selfassured. I am a very contented agnostic (not claiming to know) atheist (not believing in a God). Would you accept that defination of a category of atheist - rather than the silly terms "hard" and "soft"?
And do you also consider yourself to be an agnostic atheist by my definition?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#136531 Aug 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, do you believe in free will? I do not. I am a determinist. But I do not believe in predestitination.
And I do think that chaos theory has to be taken into account, as well as more conventional causes and effects. I think that we think we have free will, in a sense. My first favorite philosopher was Schopenhauer. Then folks like Hume, John
Stuart Mill, Voltaire, Holbach, Bertrand Russell, Spinoza, Santayana (a Catholic agnostic). I much prefer matters of ethics as a topic of greatest importance, rather than religious dogma or even metaphysics. That does mean that I am friendly to socalled religious people who have excellent ethical views, and not so friendly toward even atheists or agnostics who advocate what I consider to be an evil ethical view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking For A Big Beautiful Woman 30 min TrueDat 34
I need to know something 1 hr Need some happy 5
Lindsey Lancaster 1 hr Terry vaughn 2
Preachers That Allow Drug Users In the Pulpit 1 hr Ethan 7
what are they building 1 hr duh 9
Fwb 2 hr ThatsTheTruth 3
Gary Martin 3 hr Nope 12

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance