Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151887 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#135698 Aug 10, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
You show little understanding of science, so it does stand to reason why it sounds like magic. As demonstrated by the story of the telephone being believed as Satan by those who did not understand the technology, you show the same mentality.
Intelligence took thirteen billion years to evolve. You believe intelligence was always here, yet have zero evidence of the claim.
Maybe if you could produce something like a book dated one or two billion years ago, I would take your claims as possibly valid. But showing a book of fantastical claims that was written 8,000 years after humans started civilizations is not really convincing me that an intelligent god was hanging around for billions of years and producing nothing we would normally equate with high intelligence. You are just claiming the god produced what looks to be nature. Human intelligence cannot produce nature, but you seem to think only intelligence can. I find your deductive abilities to be lacking. Some people just answer lost dog ads.
No,I show no understanding of nonsense.Intelligence took 13 billion yeras to evolve? Evovlve from what? 13 billion years starting when?
As a matter of fact,I am going to the public library tommorrow and see if I can find a book that is 2 billion years old.
You undiscernible twit,whatinhell are you rambling about,other than gibberish and corpulent nonsense.
Some people just answer lost dog ads, some people place lost dog ads and some people are mentally lost.....
BTW I experienced something at McDonalds today that will make you feel better.
The cook stuck a chicken in the deep fryer and it evolved into a T Rex Happy Meal

If that don't beat all
Question for ya...
We no longer have dinosaurs, Is that because they all evolved into chickens or because they got wiped out when a meteor struck our planet?
Why are chickens not evolving back into dinosaurs?
Enquiring minds want to know
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#135699 Aug 10, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox news, thanks for the info. I spread it around.
You are good at spreading things around. You should get a job spreading manure in those big farms in Central Valley.....LOL use your weedwacker as a manure spreader
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#135700 Aug 10, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are good at spreading things around. You should get a job spreading manure in those big farms in Central Valley.....LOL use your weedwacker as a manure spreader
Spreading you apostasy jam again, I see.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#135701 Aug 10, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well , thank you for clarifying with facts how life,consciousness and intelligence originated.
Let me see now, Life started when it started,,,Got it....
Consciousness happened at some point when there was a brain developed to the point that what we call consciousness forms and then develop to the point that we would call it intelligence. Got it......
Sounds very much like a magical miracle.....
Yea well to some people pulling a rabbit out of a hat is thought to be magic until they educate themselves to the mechanics of the illusion....
Teach all or none

Beverly, MA

#135702 Aug 10, 2014
If you teach the bible in public schools, then you have to teach all other books from all other religions.

Not a wise way to handle public education.

If you want your kid to have a religious education, send them to private school.

End of discussion.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#135703 Aug 11, 2014
Marconi_Red wrote:
So the basic question before us is should the King James Bible be allowed to be "taught" in the Kentucky school curriculum? "Taught" is in quotes because I am wondering if it would be presented to students as fact or if would be presented as opinion held by some but not by all and the curriculum allows the student to make the final decision to its validity. I have a problem with one but not the other.
Admittedly I am an atheist and a secularist. But I am not threatened in any way if the Bible is taught in schools (that allows the student to reach his/her own conclusion) because if the curriculum truly allows students to make up their own mind then any end result is on the student and not on the state education system. The state has done its job, and it falls to the student to decide what role in society s/he will play as it ultimately does with all subjects taught in the state curriculum regardless if the subject is mathematics, sociology, or religion.
But I feel the burden on the state is to teach all things equally and to give all voice to all opinions. While this country may have been founded on predominantly Protestant (Christian) teachings our Constitution says we must respect all people's belief to worship their deity as they see fit (irrespective of whether our value of their worship is greater or not in our individual eyes). Our Constitution came about because King George said his opinion of religion is "more right" than that of his subjects, and we responded, "It may not be so." We still want the ability to say that without fear.
There are some in today's society that want to continue their freedom to be able to say their opinion is more right that of the state's opinion. I stand with them. There are others in today's society that want to say they have a differing opinion. I stand with them too. I ultimately stand for what allows any individual to make up his/her own mind when presented with all opposing opinions and beliefs.
To the secularists I say this: If you believe the Bible to be fallible in its arguments as it stands on its own merits then give students the benefit of strength in their own ability to reason to reach the same conclusion you have reached for truth will ultimately win out. The fault of your fallen soldiers lies not with you but with their weak shields.
To the Christian fundamentalists I say this: If you believe the Bible to be infallible in its arguments as it stands on its own merits then give students the benefit of strength in their own ability to reason to reach the same conclusion you have reached for the same conclusion you reached is God's ultimate truth, and it will win out because no other truth can overcome His might if he has wished it. Many have said God has given us a choice, so let each of us choose and let that choice fall us on as individuals. If someone chooses against God, let that choice fall on them. You have done all you could do, and someone's choice against God will not fall against you if it be just in a just God's eyes. God can not stand against any argument that is without any truth... or any truth he can not stand against.
To all of you I say let your argument stand on its own merits. If it is the truth then it will win out in the end. If your truth is right, then it will win. If your "truth" loses, then how strong was your truth (or its creator) to begin with?
I am Marconi_Red.
All very good points...
URWarped

London, KY

#135704 Aug 11, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>

BTW I experienced something at McDonalds today that will make you feel better.
The cook stuck a chicken in the deep fryer and it evolved into a T Rex Happy Meal
If that don't beat all

Enquiring minds want to know
You need to get of the dope, Dope..or you are one SICK in the head Psycho sociopath.
AAA

United States

#135705 Aug 11, 2014
Macroni_Red did make some good points. I would only add this.... Is the evolution of species being "taught" correctly?

Is it being "taught" as it should,,, that it's a THEORY with absolutely no fact or proof to back it up? Or is it being "taught" by an evolutionist who feels the need to let his or her faith in their religion TRY to pass the THEORY off as fact????

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135706 Aug 11, 2014
AAA wrote:
Is it being "taught" as it should,,, that it's a THEORY with absolutely no fact or proof to back it up?
Evolution is both a theory and a fact. It has massive amounts of evidence backing it up. Your ignorance of this evidence does not negate it.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135707 Aug 11, 2014
AAA wrote:
Macroni_Red did make some good points. I would only add this.... Is the evolution of species being "taught" correctly?
Is it being "taught" as it should,,, that it's a THEORY with absolutely no fact or proof to back it up? Or is it being "taught" by an evolutionist who feels the need to let his or her faith in their religion TRY to pass the THEORY off as fact????
Your opinion on evolution is based of falsehoods. Teaching the theory of evolution is not for the intent of supplanting or sabotaging religion, it is simply to convey scientific knowledge. You have already been informed of what a theory is and a tiny sliver of the facts behind the ToE, so at this point you no longer have the excuse of ignorance for your post.
I understand what Macaroni Red was getting at - boiled down, teach the Bible and let the student decide. It does not address the Constitutionality of or the Christians' purpose and intent of introducing Christian Bible study into schools or any of the ramifications from it. Your own attitude is a display of how divisive and disruptive introducing a specific religious doctrine into classrooms could become.

“Trying to live a good life”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#135708 Aug 11, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is both a theory and a fact. It has massive amounts of evidence backing it up. Your ignorance of this evidence does not negate it.
I guess now is when you bombard us with all that evidence you talk of?? LOL!!,,, or you could just keep saying there's evidence and hoping someone somewhere will believe you!

Hey,, go ahead show us the one where the T-Rex turns into a chicken!
Sharrian

Winter Garden, FL

#135709 Aug 11, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Faith that seems to been have shaken is really not such a problem with atheists because they are not firm in dogma.
Oh well,Atheists are so convinced that a Supreme Being does not exist that they are willing to concede that this Supreme Being may well exist

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135710 Aug 11, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I agree "yes they can" is a juvenile, imbecilic perspective...so I will adjust my answer to they can because they find THEMSELVES and the Constitution allows such and technically, yes STATES do fund certain SPECIALIZED schools.
And once again, you were WRONG with your ignorant bus assumption, as it was one of those "big, yeller skewl buses" duhuh.
Make that TWICE again you are WRONG, because I did have the blessing of diversity as well, from learning a few things from some of those "penguin teachers", as well.
Duhmmy.
They have schools because the fund themselves? The constitution doesn't specify anything about parochial schools at all. If there was no first amendment there might be restrictive laws or there might be more permissive laws... that is legislative, not constitutional.
You don't seem to want to address the intent of the question. It isn't "How do/can churches build and operate schools?", it is >why< do they?

Location hidden

#135711 Aug 11, 2014
7th Trump wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess now is when you bombard us with all that evidence you talk of?? LOL!!,,, or you could just keep saying there's evidence and hoping someone somewhere will believe you!
Genetics, the fossil record, bio-geography, comparative anatomy, direct observation of mechanisms, direct observation of speciation.
7th Trump wrote:
Hey,, go ahead show us the one where the T-Rex turns into a chicken!
T-Rexes don't turn into chickens. If that's what you think evolution is, you should try actually reading something about it.

This is like making fun of Heliocentrism and saying "show me the string attached to the Earth that the Sun uses to spin us around itself".

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135712 Aug 11, 2014
Sharrian wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well,Atheists are so convinced that a Supreme Being does not exist that they are willing to concede that this Supreme Being may well exist
So what? It's called agnosticism. The remotest possibility of "a supreme being" does not automatically validate your Abrahamic Supreme Being.
You are polarized in one direction so you need to have atheists polarized in the opposite?
Sharrian

Winter Garden, FL

#135713 Aug 11, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
In no way does sexual reproduction construe any evidence that Genesis is correct. To paraphrase an old adage, you've got a wish in one hand and the Bible in the other. As there is >no zero zilch nada< evidence outside of "In the beginning......Amen." (or "In the name of Allah......mankind"). for your deity, there is no evidence it is even capable of intentions, much less actions.
Sexual reproduction is clearly the only way for the continuation of the species
SEX

"Can the evolutionist explain the origin of sex? Starting with one germ or even a few germs, reproduction must have been by division for a time. If the germ that became the head of all plant life, reproduced by division, when did it begin to reproduce by seeds?"

"It is still more difficult to explain when sex life began in animals. There could have been no sex life at first, and perhaps for ages. They can not tell us when the animals, by chance, acquired the wonderful adaptation of the sexual life. They have no evidence whatever. Their guess is no better than that of others. It passes credulity to believe that the sexual life, with all its marvelous design, was reached by the invention of irrational animals, when man, with all his powers of reason, invention, and discovery, is helpless even to understand the great wisdom and power that brought it about"

The Box has it right. He came into being because hia parents reproduced. That is the way God planned it.
Perhaps you have a different explanation that you would like to provide
Sharrian

Winter Garden, FL

#135714 Aug 11, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetics, the fossil record, bio-geography, comparative anatomy, direct observation of mechanisms, direct observation of speciation.
<quoted text>
T-Rexes don't turn into chickens. If that's what you think evolution is, you should try actually reading something about it.
This is like making fun of Heliocentrism and saying "show me the string attached to the Earth that the Sun uses to spin us around itself".
The Box , you made some comments for which I asked you to provide evidence if they were factual , or were they just your opinion.
I have been awaiting for an answer.

Location hidden

#135715 Aug 11, 2014
Sharrian wrote:
<quoted text>
The Box , you made some comments for which I asked you to provide evidence if they were factual , or were they just your opinion.
I have been awaiting for an answer.
I missed it. Can you repeat what evidence you requested?

Can you also provide evidence for theism? You have avoided doing so repeatedly.
Sharrian

Winter Garden, FL

#135716 Aug 11, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have enough faith to be an atheist!! That is one religion that has absolutely no merit.
Just try to get one to answer how they came into existence,, that alone shows you they have more faith than any other religion. They have no idea how they came into being, but their faith lets them believe!
From the claims made by atheists,even atheists do not have enough faith to be atheists
Jumping through hoops does not bode well for atheism.
Excuses are not a sound foundation for a legitimate faith or religion

Location hidden

#135717 Aug 11, 2014
Hijo de Curiosidad wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any concrete facts to support that statement or is that your opinion?
Just saying
Here's an article about a scientific paper which analyzed population bottlenecks. There's no way there was a bottleneck of 8 people a few thousand years ago. Simply impossible.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump campaign 1 hr Really 10
outlaws 2 hr eighty one 18
Who do I make complaint to about ER registratio... 3 hr tracker 10
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 4 hr smh 49
Daniel Boone entertainment 4 hr woooooo 4
Higher Property Taxes 5 hr What a mess 22
women 5 hr Lol 3

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance