Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151890 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135435 Aug 7, 2014
USA wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the Bible say about Israel and the Jews, is that part of the Bible true?
Most any myth has few seeds of truth.
I guess that is all it takes for you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135436 Aug 7, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the meaning of Atheism,Atheists believe there is no God or Gods.
That is there belief.
One either presents evidence for their beliefs or accepts their beliefs on faith.
One can't merely state that they don't believe in God or Gods and they not need provide evidence for their beliefs and claim that their beliefs are the correct ones.
That is the reason why my question still stands.
Do you have any proof or evidence that Atheism is correct?
According to what you are stating , there are no true Atheists, although they may claim otherwise.
They are Agnostics who disguise themselves as Atheists or are Atheists who are unable
to defend their beliefs
I provide evidence your god does not exist on a daily basis. How many gods need I show are wrong for you to see the evidence of a lack of gods? Are you saying other gods may exist?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135437 Aug 7, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely believe, people should be "indoctrinated" to Think and form opinion for themselves, and to allow OTHERS to do the same.
You need More specifics, or something more specific?
Based upon my statement of belief, I found this link to be a VERY good example, of being a "specific" example, specifically of what I "believe".
http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/cr...
Hm?
And there's no need for you to add anything else at all to my statement of what I(!) believe, Duquette, NONE whatsoever.
Is that specific enough?
Nothing about any definition of indoctrination, had a anything to do with forming ones own opinion. In fact, it seemed to indicate the opposite.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135438 Aug 7, 2014
RufusM wrote:
<quoted text>
No.Because they have never felt a relationship with God. They never had the right upbringing . Look what God has done for the rest of us. Who do people cry for when they need help or when someone dies. They say "O MY GOD" please help me. What is an atheist ? I don't think their from this world . Atheist are queer and don't mind doin another man..sleep around spreading diseases . They don't want to teach our kids any values..just let the future go to hell. There is no more pledge of allegiance with God in it they dis away with anything that includes God. What's next.
So you conclude it is all in their upbringing? I ask that in a question, as I simply do not see a god as an answer or something to pledge too.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135439 Aug 7, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point ,but from what I have learned in the short time I've been here,even Atheists don't have enough faith to be Atheists.
Some are attempting to claim that Atheists are really Agnostics.
Their faith seems to be shaken.
Could be we may both be right...
Faith that seems to been have shaken is really not such a problem with atheists because they are not firm in dogma.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135440 Aug 7, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a belief that God(s) do not exist.
A belief for which Atheists can not provode evidence and therefore must rely on faith.
You have read Genesis and your answer is correct. That is how God intended it.
Go forth and produce after your own kind.
Fact, you can provide zero evidence your god exists. You rely on blind faith alone for the beliefs you have of a god. You have zero evidence of your god.
Learn and take teachings

Batavia, OH

#135441 Aug 7, 2014
from the bible. To see taught a world religion class. Would be of some great value to learning culture. Not cut out any teachings, there for no one could feel singled out. Left out. Put down or dumb. You open the World religion class, make a website to draw from others around the world. You may get some great scholars introducing a whole world never to let some one be soo closed minded by dogma as you preach. Also , demand more science into your school. Open a class evolution for your Non believers. Insist on both classes to open their options if your soo down on religion.

Though your argument may or may not feel right to you. The humor is harmful to most religious peoples feelings on their belief system. WHICH is Offensive. To be soo educated you for got common manners. Because your intellect could be more productive in reaching a middle ground with believers and non believers. Be a bridge, not a bump!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135442 Aug 7, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point ,but from what I have learned in the short time I've been here,even Atheists don't have enough faith to be Atheists.
Even atheists are willing to concede they are not always right, as the prophets of the bible do. Of course the atheists are not so conceded the they claim to know all the gaps of the gods.
AAA

United States

#135443 Aug 7, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
It does seem their FAITH is dwindling, now they're trying to say, they have a "loop hole" in their religion that calls for them to say "there MAY be a God, or god"!!

Is it just me, or is that not a true atheist? Lol.!! After all I'm just someone who can't comprehend all those big words and terms, but isn't there a different description for someone who believes there's not a God, " but there might be "??? I don't think atheist describes that belief!

It takes a lot of faith to buy into being an atheist,, that is one religion I do not have enough faith for!!
AAA

United States

#135444 Aug 7, 2014
Wasn't it Richard Dawkins who debated for years how there was no God, and how crazy us Christians are for believing God made us,, and then out of the blue started saying man kind may have come from aliens??

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#135445 Aug 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well yes, love may have been the kinder gentler hand, and it opposes what the OT god was. So the million dollar question is, how can their be two very different gods?
Even Satan masquerades around as light. meaning that maybe one of the Gods of the Bible is actually Satan masquerading around as good,.Jesus wasn't God nor did he ever claim to be God. He was an Intermediary between humanity and divinity.He became the Christ after the dove descended on him, thus beginning his ministry..( spiritually aware ) Jesus referred to His Father In Heaven several times. Jesus was a messenger OF God.( begotten son )

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135446 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the meaning of Atheism,Atheists believe there is no God or Gods.
That is there belief.
One either presents evidence for their beliefs or accepts their beliefs on faith.
One can't merely state that they don't believe in God or Gods and they not need provide evidence for their beliefs and claim that their beliefs are the correct ones.
Yes, one can. The existence of gods is a positive claim made by theists. I reject this claim for its lack of evidence and the fact that theistic claims generally contradict known evidence.
Sharian wrote:
Do you have any proof or evidence that Atheism is correct?
You have been provided with some. Do you have any proof or evidence that theism is correct?
Sharian wrote:
According to what you are stating , there are no true Atheists, although they may claim otherwise.
They are Agnostics who disguise themselves as Atheists or are Atheists who are unable
to defend their beliefs
I have no interest in semantic arguments about the definitions of atheist vs agnostic. By common definitions, most self-described atheists are agnostics and vice versa.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135447 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a belief that God(s) do not exist.
A belief for which Atheists can not provode evidence and therefore must rely on faith.
No faith is required to reject a claim for which there is no evidence. Would you view yourself as relying on faith that I cannot fly like Superman?
You have read Genesis and your answer is correct. That is how God intended it.
Go forth and produce after your own kind.
Genesis is a myth developed by primitive men to explain the world. It gets virtually everything wrong.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135448 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
You are presenting another opinion which does not address my question.
You seem to be steering far off course. I hope that is not by design.
You have attempted to describe my opinion without having the slightest idea of what my opinion is. Then you claim that I have no more proof of my opinion than that of adie hard Atheist.
Now I have another question for you. On what grounds did you arrive at the conclusion that is my opinion.
So you have it all wrong, my faith is not based mon my opinion,it is based on what I believe.
By the contents of what you have written,it is clear to me that you are looking for an argument.
I am looking for a straight answer from those who may be able to provide it.
Does anyone have proof or evidence that Atheism is correct?
"...proof or evidence that atheism is correct" compared to what? Taosim? Sikhism? Baha'i?
What you believe is your opinion, what I believe is mine, what an atheist believes is his. You have faith in your opinion no matter whether it is rational or not. If you are going to insinuate yours is qualitatively better than another you are looking for an argument not to achieve greater knowledge, but to sway others' belief/faith/opinion to your own. I do happen to believe (hold the opinion) that it is ridiculous to hold the opinion that the Bible is metaphysically accurate. The notion that the immensity of the universe (which shows no deference whatsoever to humans) was divinely created for the Semitic tribes by an anthropomorphic deity is laughable.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135449 Aug 8, 2014
USA wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the Bible say about Israel and the Jews, is that part of the Bible true?
Almost the entire Bible was written by, for and about the Jews.(That was even a bone of contention between Saul and Peter.) Some parts of the Bible are true, some parts are not and some are vague enough to be interpreted any way the reader chooses - as in the "hundreds of prophecies of Jesus", for example. Which specific part are you referring to? My interpretation might well be different than yours.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135450 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
Wasn't it Richard Dawkins who debated for years how there was no God, and how crazy us Christians are for believing God made us,, and then out of the blue started saying man kind may have come from aliens??
As I recall and as you point out, he said may have while you say God did. There is a considerable difference between reflecting on a remote possibility and demanding it as a fact.
SNYB

London, KY

#135451 Aug 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so your beliefs are an exact replica of what Einstein wrote pre-holocaust of his peoples? I see. I would like to test that claim.
Lets start with this part of what you cited as your beliefs in the link.
"I do not believe in free will."
So are you willing to back up this belief of Einstein?
How about this one?
" All these motives have made me a passionate pacifist and antimilitarist"
I would never attribute another persons beliefs as mine own in such a way. I speak for myself, and I see you cannot do the same.
It's Einstiens veweeee own hand written manuscript...duhhhhhhhhhhhhmmm m ahhhhhhhh z uh pukette.

For Gods sake Dookie, why is it so seemingly dotdam hard for you to comprehend the simple words-

NO need to add ANYTHING to MY stated belief ...none whatsoever...and that includes NOT twisting and distorting or CONFUSING it, with my example of such by referencing Einstiens credo.

(really, you can quit acting like a brainless moron anytime, DUHMbo.)
SNYB

London, KY

#135452 Aug 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so your beliefs are an exact replica of what
I would never attribute another persons beliefs as mine own in such a way. I speak for myself, and I see you cannot do the same.
(and maybe next time, if you pull your head out of your own azz of ignorance FIRST before you crutch and clutch to the blindness of ignorance as an excuse..you just might "get it"...at least a little... when someone shows you an example.)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135453 Aug 8, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Even Satan masquerades around as light. meaning that maybe one of the Gods of the Bible is actually Satan masquerading around as good,.Jesus wasn't God nor did he ever claim to be God. He was an Intermediary between humanity and divinity.He became the Christ after the dove descended on him, thus beginning his ministry..( spiritually aware ) Jesus referred to His Father In Heaven several times. Jesus was a messenger OF God.( begotten son )
Completely unsubstantiated claims.
Do you have proof or evidence that Satan or any of the gods of the Bible exist? Do you have evidence that Jesus was an intermediary between humanity and divinity? According to the prophecies of the OT, Jesus had the title messiah/anointed one/christ before he was born, if you care to believe such. Anyway, "christos" is simply the Greek form of the Hebrew word "meshach." What evidence do you have that Jesus was either the messenger of or the begotten son of God?
SNYB

London, KY

#135454 Aug 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So your world view based upon another persons statement needs no elaboration? How strange. I guess I must make all conclusions of what you think based upon what another man said. Not that he ever indicated indoctrination was good. And forming ones own opinion is the opposite of indoctrination. Well, unless you have a belief in free will, which Einstein clearly states, he does not.
BTW, I fully stand by the idea one can form his own opinions, and even express them openly in a debate. I can see you hate such openness.
Okay...I see you need some "speshull" type help...so I give you a clue.

Try JUST the first two lines Dookey..one word at a time. Start with the first word, at the beginning of the first sentence. Then try putting those words all together and reading them as whole sentences sentences...one sentence at a time. Next, return to the beginning of first sentence, then continue to read on, through to the period at the end of the second sentence.

Will you need a little quizlette upon completion, for retention recording sake?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do I make complaint to about ER registratio... 12 min Ms Bingham 11
I need yard work done ? 36 min Boone height 1
Trump campaign 43 min Harry 11
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 51 min Voter 50
Knox county voters support TRUMP ! (Jan '16) 2 hr Wilchec 19
outlaws 6 hr eighty one 18
Daniel Boone entertainment 7 hr woooooo 4

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance