Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,417

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#134778 Jul 25, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I believe it's every man for himself.
I could not less if a fkn idiot is burning in hell or whatever for the choices he made.
such as yourself..
You could not what? You forgot to say. And you call me a fucking idiot?
I love how you guys act so holier than thou as you call names and throw temper tantrums.

I do not chose to go to hell. How can a person chose to go to an imaginary place?
I am not your loved one, so you have really yet to directly answer the question. Do you even know what the question actually is?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#134779 Jul 25, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
FACT:
Did you hear the one about the moron that took a couple of paragraphs of one's personal opinion on facts, opinions, and (quatumn type) dimensions and turned it into some sort of rant on church doctrines and fantasies of the fourth and sixth centuries and some Christmas ornamental type decoration and/or bird feeding methods?
FACT.
(You might be moron if..........
........you ducked and ran from the actual content of the post and replied with this vapid recrimination.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134780 Jul 25, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, not sure how to respond here.
1. That was my point
2 We have 0 fossils of the missing link
3 It's been proven to me that it is "right" the entire time, so thats simply your point of view.
The third does bring us back to the basic question though, and if they don't teach religion in school that's fine by me, I do that at home, church, and just the friends we associate with. As long as they don't under-mind religion (which so far my childs school has not, in fact its full of church going conservative teachers thank the lord) then I'm good with that. And I think most parents of faith would be as well.
"undermind"? That is not a word. But I think you mean "undermine". Well if science is in contradiction to your myth, are you suggesting schools keep it a secret so as to not undermine your beliefs?

I do not think you have any idea what a missing link is, or what fossils of hominids have been found.

And I find it ironic that your Childs school is not teaching any of the things you claim are being taught in public schools. This leads me to think your conservative propaganda is exaggerating what is actually being taught.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#134781 Jul 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Note how I wrote all that with no insults? Can you ever do the same?
That would cramp his/her style. You must realize how essential "free thinking" and "creative license" is in point/counterpoint. 0.o
get real

Holland, MI

#134782 Jul 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Who claimed it must be definite? I said "evident".
Evolution has mounds of evidence. And I see you wrongly conclude a theory is something that has no conclusive evidence. Evolution has many missing links. Maybe not enough to convince you, but you have already admitted to not even looking into the claims through actual science books. The more I read the books on evolution, the more I realize the overwhelming amount of evidence.
I cannot say what public schools claim of global warming, can you? And please do not cite Rush as your source.
If you we're to read back a couple of posts you realize that I never said evolution had no merit, I simply stated that dawrins theory of evolution is still just a theory, there is no conclusive evidence. I also stated that no where in the fosil records (and please don't bring up bigfoot) has the missing link been found.

Think about that, there had to be millions of these animals over millions of years and we can't find one, alive or dead. Last I knew we had found 27 different species of dinosaurs, but we can't find "one" of these?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134783 Jul 25, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, not sure how to respond here.2
1. That was my point
The_Box wrote:

<quoted text>
A theory *never* becomes anything more than a theory in science.

So *get real*, are you saying we should not teach scientific theory in public schools? So we should get rid of teaching the theory of gravity, the heliocentric solar system theory, and germ theory?
I can see you have no understanding of what a scientific theory means. It is typical of fundamentalists.

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2] As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive power and explanatory force.[3][4]

The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, and to its elegance and simplicity (Occam's razor). As additional scientific evidence is gathered, a scientific theory may be rejected or modified if it does not fit the new empirical findings- in such circumstances, a more accurate theory is then desired. In certain cases, the less-accurate unmodified scientific theory can still be treated as a theory if it is useful (due to its sheer simplicity) as an approximation under specific conditions (e.g. Newton's laws of motion as an approximation to special relativity at velocities which are small relative to the speed of light).

Scientific theories are testable and make falsifiable predictions. They describe the causal elements responsible for a particular natural phenomenon, and are used to explain and predict aspects of the physical universe or specific areas of inquiry (e.g. electricity, chemistry, astronomy). Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.[3] This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a guess (i.e., unsubstantiated and speculative).[5]

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#134784 Jul 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You could not what? You forgot to say. And you call me a fucking idiot?
I love how you guys act so holier than thou as you call names and throw temper tantrums.
I do not chose to go to hell. How can a person chose to go to an imaginary place?
I am not your loved one, so you have really yet to directly answer the question. Do you even know what the question actually is?
Hahaha! Yeah, I noticed that after it was posted.
I was In such a hurry to you that you were gonna burn In Hell, hahaha!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#134785 Jul 25, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
That is so old. This is a typical liberal ploy in a failed attempt to lessen the importance of the Bible by suggesting that its only one of a countless number and therefore shouldn't carry the weight it does.
It is only one of a countless number. I can generate a new religious text this afternoon if I were so inclined. Religious texts are merely writings of people. They don't intrinsically carry any extra weight. Some people just choose to give them weight.
get real wrote:
The fact is that there are a handful of legid religios texts and from the Bible to the Coran they all suggest the same morale values, which is what liberals detest about the Bible the most.
All the religions do not suggest the same moral values.
get real wrote:
They are too weak to follow its teachings (unable to deny themselves immediate gratification for something far more important) and they don't want to be called wrong for not doing so.
I don't follow the teachings of the Bible because they're absurd and primitive, not out of any weakness. Do you believe it's weak to NOT execute gay people?
get real wrote:
The moral teachings that the "Bible" as well as other God inspired texts are very similar and simply support the Bibles teachings regardless of how much liberals would not like it to be so.
The teachings of the Bible support the Bible's teachings? You don't say.

Location hidden

#134786 Jul 25, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
That is rediculous, it's the Bible, and yes when Jesus came there we're some changes, but we're still talking about the Bible. Example, homosexuality was wrong in the old testament (Leviticus) and is equally spelled out as wrong in the new testament (in both the first book of Romans and Corinthians).
The OT is violent and barbaric, and even minor sins and infractions result in the execution. The NT is far more focused on compassion and forgiveness. This is a massive change.
get real wrote:
As far as I know, no religion is going to "give up" the Bible in preference for something else, and I highly doubt the originals writers are going to come back to life and shout, "ooops, we we're wrong, the liberals we're right all along".
No, they'd probably be too shocked that women weren't property anymore.

Location hidden

#134787 Jul 25, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
If you we're to read back a couple of posts you realize that I never said evolution had no merit, I simply stated that dawrins theory of evolution is still just a theory, there is no conclusive evidence. I also stated that no where in the fosil records (and please don't bring up bigfoot) has the missing link been found.
Think about that, there had to be millions of these animals over millions of years and we can't find one, alive or dead. Last I knew we had found 27 different species of dinosaurs, but we can't find "one" of these?
I already linked you to dozens of hominid fossils. What do you think homo erectus, homo habilis, and the austrolopithecines were?

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fos...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#134788 Jul 25, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what do you think is beyond "just a theory"? A law? You are grossly mistaken.
There is conclusive evidence of evolution. There is even conclusive evidence of new species emerging quite recently. What exactly are your parameters for a "missing link"? Where did you get "27 species of dinosaur" when over a thousand species have been named? Since the KT extinction was 65 million years ago, what does it have to do with finding one certain hominid fossil that might fit between your Mopar powered goalposts?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#134789 Jul 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well I hear you guys actually have to be a member of the church. I hear you can chose between at lest two.
And that demand probably makes the UK even less religious.
Probably the same effect our pledge has. It pushes many away from religion.
Yeah, it's been that way since Henry VIII and it's part of the rich pageantry that makes us such a hot spot for the foreign tourists.

We keep the head of state religion for pomp, ceremony, general silliness and because it pisses off the Vatican. Our head of state serves an ever-decreasing role as a figurehead devoid of real power and subject to the rules of Parliament.

Yet even with a state religion, Christianity over here is like the Bruce Willis character in the Sixth Sense - it's dead; it just doesn't know it.

Nottingham, UK

#134790 Jul 25, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you mean.
MPs say Britain is continuing to export tens of millions of pounds worth of military equipment, despite concerns Moscow is arming separatist rebels.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28438004
The arms trade is a blight on our society.

Nottingham, UK

#134791 Jul 25, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason no Christian will answer it is because it is a trick question concocted by an atheist
Take your trickery and chicanery and deposit it in the Circular file. And take your trolling to another forum
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Why is it a trick question?
SNYB

London, KY

#134792 Jul 25, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an odd way to end your rant. What do you mean by "other dimensions"?
Okay...since you inquired almost decently... we'll introduce the concept again-

Do superstrings exist? The strings themselves are probably too tiny to observe directly, but string theory makes a number of testable predictions. It implies supersymmetry and predicts seven undiscovered dimensions of space, dimensions that would give rise to much of the mysterious complexity of particle physics. Testing the validity of string theory requires searching for the extra dimensions and exploring their properties.

(quote ...unquote quantumn uni....org)

Nottingham, UK

#134793 Jul 25, 2014
jamie wrote:
Bible study would be good
The guy in the Shawshank Redemption sure got a lot from his Bible
SNYB

London, KY

#134794 Jul 25, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
His/her rants usually have odd beginnings, middles and ends. I think he/she means the mystical ether. It doesn't appear that he/she has a firm grasp on what a fact is.
Do you need some "no barking w/out cause and heel" lessons as well?
SNYB

London, KY

#134795 Jul 25, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious institutions culture conformity of thought, belief and deed. Most Christians make no bones about likening themselves to being shepherded like sheep of the flock. That is the whole point of sermons and clergy led services - not public worship and prayer. Matt. 6 is quite specific about that.
"It just means they have their OWN MIND--and do NOT need YOU or anyone like you-to think, talk or anything else for them!" But that is PRECISELY what priests and preachers do. It's what the congregations pay them for - it's their JOB.
"I don't lump and labelDUHM ANYONE into a category, and judge it all as the same."
"...YOU or anyone like you..."
Why did you lie, Sistahypocrite?
With an added zap collar?

Nottingham, UK

#134796 Jul 25, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No...
Just a precursor to the big one!
The reason most conservatives watch Fox...
we're tired of the left handed spin, and lies of Liberal media!
We may not get ALL the truth from Fox (ie Obama: I didn't know anything
about the IRS targeting the Tea party!) but they put enough truth together
to make an informed decision!
It is the MOST trusted news source in America!
Obama has been in office for what? 6 years?

These aren't my words but they say it well...

You still have your guns, you don't live in a FEMA camp, you don't have government implants and you don't live under Sharia Law.

There's no such thing as a death panel, gay marriage hasn't ruined the USA and you've also seen his birth certificate.

Oh yeah, he still hasn't risen as the anti-christ.

Feeling like a dumbass yet?

Nottingham, UK

#134797 Jul 25, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>How could you go to hell, and "WANT" your Loved ones go there too???
People... all people have a CHOICE
The Glory of God will cause us to be peaceful with "Their" choices!
Just as I am now... KNOWING that few of my family, and friends
have made that choice!
So be it... Come quickly Lord!
I've made my choice and I refuse to go to Hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proud of heather carnes 4 min BFF 1
Journey Through Hell (Oct '10) 1 hr Diana 39
Harriman Tnn. symboxone clinic 3 hr Info 6
who will you vote for as jailer 4 hr John 55
Free Goat 4 hr hardon 7
Has Rabbit and Jm fell out ? 4 hr wondering 4
s.e.k.r.i. 4 hr worked there 6
who got arrested at bville walmart? Tue Ky Resident 4
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match