Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,617

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135233 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Jesus had a large impact. That does not mean he was much or any different than many sixties hippies.
My view is, Jesus died a martyr. And as martyrs go, the legacy is often blown out of proportion to the actual man.
Jesus may have also been one of the first to go the way of hippie cults. Being the first does give one status.
Jesus also pulled off the attachment of the established religion (Judaism) to his new age views.
I agree that Jesus was a new ager of his time, an ordinary man and that some of his message was pulled from kinder gentler (thus less popular among the mainstream and conservative establishment) Torah passages. What I have contention with is the comparison considering the lack of originality of modern hippies and new agers.
AAA

United States

#135234 Aug 4, 2014
All that insightfullness coming from someone who thinks he evolved from a rock,, of course he can't tell you where the rock came from, but he evolved from it non the less! Lol.!!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135235 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus followed John the Baptist and his group, so I feel he was of his peers.
I do think Jesus was on the leadership side of the hippie party. And he does seem to align more with the leaders of hippie cults more so than the followers.
Of course cultures change some of the dynamics, so obviously I am not claiming an exact replica of a sixties hippie.
Certainly he was influenced by predecessors and peers, and aside from John the Baptist we'll never know exactly who, how many, to what extent and in what way since the early church did its utmost best to choreograph the record.(There is even speculation that he was learned in Hinduism, though I find that far fetched.) There is little doubt that he was the alpha dog in his group and an A type personality. There were bound to be similar contemporaries (of the hippie movement, as you put it) whose memories have passed into oblivion. If Pilate was sending them a message, it would appear to have had an effect - or it might just be that Public Relations Paul overshadowed the competition.
The stories don't tell of him being into self gratification the way the '60's hippies tended to be, but there is a definite intentional lack of data on anything that might be considered untoward.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135236 Aug 4, 2014
AAA wrote:
All that insightfullness coming from someone who thinks he evolved from a rock,, of course he can't tell you where the rock came from, but he evolved from it non the less! Lol.!!
I know where rocks come from and the difference between abiogenesis and the Theory of Evolution - it isn't my fault you don't.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#135237 Aug 4, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Many are called, few will enter!
Buy a clue....
Not all who say they are Christians are...
As a Christian what side of the debate are you on regarding Latin American children trying to escape poverty,starvation and sex exploitation by CINOs in their country? Should they be turned away by true Christians? What would Jesus do?
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#135238 Aug 4, 2014
Where are the Christians? Never mind ..debating with atheists... Texas needs a exorcism. YAA you're calling is awaiting you.

Texas bans gay marriage on the grounds that it will lead to things like bestiality, except that bestiality OK?

Bestiality is currently legal in many states (such as Texas)

Map of the Day: Bestiality-Friendly States

http://www.motherjones.com/rights-stuff/2010/...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135239 Aug 4, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I guess that's why Catholics are not really Christians!
It's a Pagan bastard off shoot of Christianity...
Having a Jewish Mother... no different than having a Black, Hispanic, or Indian Mother...
It's in the blood!
Christianity is a conversion thing... Sinful heart to a God fearing, Jesus Loving heart!
Catholics do accept Jewish converts.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135240 Aug 4, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly he was influenced by predecessors and peers, and aside from John the Baptist we'll never know exactly who, how many, to what extent and in what way since the early church did its utmost best to choreograph the record.(There is even speculation that he was learned in Hinduism, though I find that far fetched.) There is little doubt that he was the alpha dog in his group and an A type personality. There were bound to be similar contemporaries (of the hippie movement, as you put it) whose memories have passed into oblivion. If Pilate was sending them a message, it would appear to have had an effect - or it might just be that Public Relations Paul overshadowed the competition.
The stories don't tell of him being into self gratification the way the '60's hippies tended to be, but there is a definite intentional lack of data on anything that might be considered untoward.
The Source family was formed from many different philosophies and guru ideas.
Yes, many scholars feel the message of Jesus had eastern influence. So again Jesus does not seem so different than the hippie cult leaders(for lack of a better label).
Maybe the hippie cult leaders were trying to mimic Jesus, but something tells me the pattern had been around for ages before Jesus, and it is just a part of human nature. People are curious and want answers. So the guy who has charisma and confidence with an answer has a good chance at being a leader, no matter if the answers are the correct or best answer or not. It goes with all politics and religion.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#135241 Aug 4, 2014
I was shocked that Florida with all the bible thumpers, JW's, Mormon and other Christians who preach in that state has not address this issue as they do gay marriages , why is that, that all you get is a ticket for thumping Mr. Ed. I then saw how wide spread this bestiality is by CINO's.

Where did this activity start, of course in the ancient religions.

"Donkey Sex: The Most Bizarre Tradition", on YouTube

A YouTube documentary that is not censored except for the actual act.

I will not provide a link for this because it shows god fearing "CINOs" believers encourage young teens or boys to engage in this disturbing activity.
pitbullie

Versailles, KY

#135242 Aug 4, 2014
Loved your post. Was it Thomas Aquinis who basically said, Give me a child until he is five, and we'll have him for life? Shows how smart the Jews were being, as well as practical.

For Yes and Amen: do you think Martin Luther was a Christian?
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I remind you again, Catholics wrote your Bible and every bible in the world is an offshoot from it.
Judaism is not a race, it's a religion. Mind your bigotry. There can be doubt who the father is, but there isn't any of who the mother is. It's a practicality thing, you wouldn't understand.
You love a story so much you are delusional over it. It's just Spock ears and hobbit feet costumed conventioneers taken to the extreme.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135243 Aug 4, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that Jesus was a new ager of his time, an ordinary man and that some of his message was pulled from kinder gentler (thus less popular among the mainstream and conservative establishment) Torah passages. What I have contention with is the comparison considering the lack of originality of modern hippies and new agers.
Few people have many new ideas, and I doubt most the ideas Jesus spoke of were really all that new, or original to him. As I said, he did learn from John the Baptist and probably many others. His background is really not known. He was simply the man who became famous for putting out some radical ideas that were not yet mainstream. Heck, even centuries after him, they were yet to be mainstream. And as we have pointed out, conservatives love to claim Jesus, yet do not do as he says. They are not the sort who follow ideas like turning the other cheek, or living a commune lifestyle.
So it is still not fully mainstream.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135244 Aug 4, 2014
AAA wrote:
Still debating straw men?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135245 Aug 4, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I remind you again, Catholics wrote your Bible and every bible in the world is an offshoot from it.
Judaism is not a race, it's a religion. Mind your bigotry. There can be doubt who the father is, but there isn't any of who the mother is. It's a practicality thing, you wouldn't understand.
You love a story so much you are delusional over it. It's just Spock ears and hobbit feet costumed conventioneers taken to the extreme.
Question is, who was Jesus' father? Was it Joseph, god or some other dude? No one knows for sure.
I never understood the reason Catholics put Mary on a pedestal. Does anyone here know?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#135246 Aug 4, 2014
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
are you at all amazed that the topic you started is still going strong? have you participated throughout the long discussion? any reactions in general?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#135247 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Question is, who was Jesus' father? Was it Joseph, god or some other dude? No one knows for sure.
I never understood the reason Catholics put Mary on a pedestal. Does anyone here know?
hi, I can make a guess. The old heritage of female gods still probably had a hold on some minds - the notion of a loving mother that would give unconditional love, at its best.(the angry woman who loses her temper and acts unjustly, or the bossy one who dominates the small child at the worst.) I think one reason people like the notion of Jesus as a route to forgiveness is that they still want such unconditional love and forgiveness. Jesus seems to have many androgynous qualities as he is often portrayed - despite the beard. He is loving and watchful with children and animals in most portrayals.- all the idealized pictures of him with sheep for example.

The angry God of the old Testament is no loving father. Love me or I'll send you to hell is not unconditional love. Many times people think of a kind protective mother as a sort of intercessor to save a child from a domineering unjust father''s harsh treatment. People still want that. And I think secretly people would like to have men be just and not domineering, and yet still manly.

Nice to see your comments continuing here. It gives me a good feeling to know the wise approach is still being argued effectively. I am still very content as an ethical ecumenical agnostic athiest, but I have a notion that people who are idiots want to remain idiots and that it is not worth my time to argue with them. I have been too busy with the superior creatures of this world - dogs and cats - to worry about superstitious persons. Even Walt Whitman took refuge in them, for all his celebration of various sorts of persons.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#135248 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Question is, who was Jesus' father? Was it Joseph, god or some other dude? No one knows for sure.
first of all, I am not sure there was such a person as Jesus, let alone a son of God or a part of God. He could be a composite of many prophets, peachers, and wannabe Messiahs, plus some teachings of the Essenes.
Second, if he existed, his mother would not have told the name of the father, since she could not dare risk being stoned to death by the idiot evil persons who always blamed the woman, ieven if she were raped. Still lots of those types around, though mainly in Islamic societies.
Honor killings killing women are particularly vicious - even worse than the wild west version of killing both the wife and her lover!

Have you read Kahil Gibran's books? He was a strong advocate for women's rights. And now the news is reporting that things in Afghanistan are going badly, with the two candidates for leader refusing to give up or compromise, and risking being too weak to lead resistance to Taliban re-takeover. Horrid people! I like Netanyahu no better - I loved Kerry's so-called slip when he said, "some pinpoint". I thik we should get Palin, McCain Graham Cruz and Ernst and King and co to lead a Christian rightwing private army and go over and intervene, at the expense of the Koch Bros. Tell them God wants them to raise another Crusade and send them over to see what happens.
AAA

United States

#135249 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still debating straw men?
Debating?? Lol.!! Debating what your belief of where you came from? Lol.!!

No one blames you for not wanting to debate that crazy idea!!
El Hijo de curiosidad

Winter Garden, FL

#135250 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you feel I should tell him how silly crazy eating what you believe to be human flesh is? Sometimes it is better to not tell the whole story to all. The division of family would not be worth it. And thus I go to church with him on occasion. Last time was at his brothers funeral.
By your reasoning, I should never criticize Catholicism.
I guess you just cannot relate, as I am sure your parents are Christian as you are. Likely even the same sect as yourself.
Hmmmmm, Your parents eat what they believe to be human flesh? Are you claiming they are cannibals?
Can you clarify what you mean by" Sometimes it is better not to tell the whole story?

Are you using that as an excuse to justify your boorish behaviour?

Why do you bother to attend Mass with your father and then condemn him for attending Mass?

You must be aware that there is a difference between constructive criticism and misguided opinions... Or maybe not

Yes, my parents are Christian,as I am. I am very thankful they are Christians.

I am very thankful that they taught me to respect them and God.

Regardless of their beliefs, I can think of no reason why I would ever consider ridiculing my father or mother...
That is not how I was raised.. Thank God for that...

Flint hill bandit

Elizabethtown, KY

#135251 Aug 5, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still debating straw men?
I read it more of as a fact!

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#135252 Aug 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
I was shocked that Florida with all the bible thumpers, JW's, Mormon and other Christians who preach in that state has not address this issue as they do gay marriages , why is that, that all you get is a ticket for thumping Mr. Ed. I then saw how wide spread this bestiality is by CINO's.
Where did this activity start, of course in the ancient religions.
"Donkey Sex: The Most Bizarre Tradition", on YouTube
A YouTube documentary that is not censored except for the actual act.
I will not provide a link for this because it shows god fearing "CINOs" believers encourage young teens or boys to engage in this disturbing activity.
I think Aleister Crowley had a sex cult ( religion ) that Involved bestiality, his gf and others had sex with goats..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HAppy Thanksgiving Everyone! 1 hr gator 2
fire station or not 3 hr lolol 2
how can a murderer walk the streets!!!! 8 hr john 16
Phillip Vaughn (Oct '10) 13 hr Loving 9
Separate 13 hr Loving 3
OMG!!! Ben Mason in jail (May '13) 15 hr curious 6
moma screwer 18 hr gator 9
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:22PM
Bengals turning into kings of the road - NBC Sports