Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148396 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135306 Aug 6, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh no...
He pointed out that EVERYONE is a sinner, and none deserved to throw a stone!
John
8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse
him. But Jesus stooped down, and with [his] finger wrote on the
ground,[as though he heard them not].
8:7 So when they continued asking him, he raised himself, and
said to them, He that is without sin among you, let him first
cast a stone at her.
8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
8:9 And they who heard [it], being convicted by [their own]
conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest,
[even] to the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman
standing in the midst.
Notice they didn't do it for righteousness sake...
"... this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women."

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135307 Aug 6, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't want Mitch, or anyone like him in office!
I want Joe/Jane Blow, the guy/gal that works for a living, has house payments,
kids in school, AND a functioning moral compass!
The guy/gal that knows murdering babies in the womb is wrong...
The guy/gal that knows the God of the Bible is real, and
without Him... we have this stinking mess we have today!
aka partisan theocrat

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135308 Aug 6, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe Jesus condoned lawlessness when he confronted the people thet were throwing stones at Mary Mag. They were carrying out the law and he put a halt to it.
That the adulteress was Mary Magdalene is a cultivated misconception.
We all know that YaA would have been in the crowd with the stones and if someone had thrown the first one, he would have thrown the second.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135309 Aug 6, 2014
sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
Can any of the Atheists provide any proof or evidence that Atheism is correct?
I've found no compelling reason to believe in any gods in a general sense and there is great reason to believe that specific religious traditions are simply human inventions.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135310 Aug 6, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I've found no compelling reason to believe in any gods in a general sense and there is great reason to believe that specific religious traditions are simply human inventions.
The only Great Mystery of religion is: what weird perambulation of human synapses makes so many susceptible to the hokum?
truth brother

Middlesboro, KY

#135311 Aug 6, 2014
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
Seems that the only tool it is is the tool to turn people into dumb sheep.
truth brother

Middlesboro, KY

#135312 Aug 6, 2014
If you can make people believe that they are going to someday ride a train made of gold to their mansion made of gold somewhere in the sky. You can make that person believe any bull you throw at them. Oh and don't forget the angels playing golden harps.
Anonymous

Winter Garden, FL

#135313 Aug 6, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you misunderstood my question. I have heard that opinion before.
Let me ask the question again.
Do you have any evidence or proof that Atheism is correct?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135314 Aug 6, 2014
sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you misunderstood my question. I have heard that opinion before.
Let me ask the question again.
Do you have any evidence or proof that Atheism is correct?
I understood your question just fine and my answer stands.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135315 Aug 6, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>Ok then let's hear it.
I believe we evolved from other species.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135316 Aug 6, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wrong, as happens sometimes. Since I'm not a religious conservative I don't have any issues with admitting it.
I was looking over the list of patron saints the other night... I'm baffled how there can be patron saints of thieves or computer programmers.
Who is this computer saint? I am having some issues with my Surface he needs to fix.

Of course it is not a big deal you misstated something about Mary. The Box is very helpful keeping us straight. Should we vote to make him a saint?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135317 Aug 6, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not nor have ever been Catholic, so the Hail Mary's work about as well for me as payer without a lost dog ad would for curious. Jesus obviously can't have lineage thru daddy Joseph if Joseph ain't the daddy. Just because the front story is a crock doesn't mean the back story has to be true.
I have not read all the new posts today, so this may have already been answered. I am curious as to how Mary was born free of original sin?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135318 Aug 6, 2014
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
“The tower vanished between Joachim and Anne, both of whom were encompassed by brilliant light and glory. At the same moment the heavens above them opened, and I saw the joy of the Most Holy Trinity and of the angels over the Conception of Mary. Both Joachim and Anne were in a supernatural state. I learned that, at the moment in which they embraced and the light shone around them, the Immaculate Conception of Mary was accomplished.”
Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, The Life of Jesus Christ and Biblical Revelations
"the Immaculate Conception of Mary was accomplished"
Depends on where you look if you are wrong or not.
Oh, well that is interesting.

Seems Christians feel sex is no way to bring in pure children.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135319 Aug 6, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The only Great Mystery of religion is: what weird perambulation of human synapses makes so many susceptible to the hokum?
The human imagination gives us many advantages, and some problems as a side effect.
Humans have an instinct to find answers. When no answer is apparent, some will make up answers from our imagination. Some will believe the answer no matter if it fully makes sense or not. When a person is told from childhood he must accept the answer or be tortured for eternity in the land of hell, it stands to reason the child will accept the answer till death and fear introspection of those answers.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135320 Aug 6, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see the post where Mike said that. where is it? How far back I must have missed that day.
It never happened of course. Just the typical straw man argument fundamentalists trot out because they cannot debate what we actually say or believe.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135321 Aug 6, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>I would have to go back and look through all that mess,, but it was something to do with a single cell mixing it up with pond scum, and then laying out on a rock to catch some sun rays, he didn't say if his rock was male or female, or what it ever bred to get another rock!! LOL!!!! Not sure where the rock came from, or for that matter where the pond scum, single cell or sun came from, but he supposedly knows,, maybe he'll enlighten us on it,, because the way I tell it makes it sound pretty silly!!
Liar, I never made any such claims.
Guess you must lie for Jesus because you clearly have no truthful arguments to post here.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135322 Aug 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Who is this computer saint? I am having some issues with my Surface he needs to fix.
Of course it is not a big deal you misstated something about Mary. The Box is very helpful keeping us straight. Should we vote to make him a saint?
St. Isidore of Seville c. 560 – 4 April 636

Saint The Box? Okay, but it looks like we'll have to wait a thousand years to find out what he's the patron saint of.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135323 Aug 6, 2014
El Hijo de Curiosidad wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm,You hold the view that your parents are superstitious and that they would be offended if you questioned them on their religious views.
You do not want to offend your father and thereby divide the family.
However, you accompany him to Mass at different times and then come on Topix to tell us
he is superstitious.
You obviously believe that your parents are not too bright.
You don't want to offend them, but do not hesistate to ridicule them..
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I think I get the picture
Just saying
Are you not offending them when you hold them up to public ridicule?
How can they be offended if they do not know what I am saying here? Do you know my parents?
Just because one is superstitious does not mean he is not bright. I think he was brainwashed due to many generations of brainwashed peers and family members.

I see you have yet to answer my question about what you would do if your parent rejected god.
Would you call them fools as you did us?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135324 Aug 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have not read all the new posts today, so this may have already been answered. I am curious as to how Mary was born free of original sin?
I dunno. I guess with God all things are possible - or at least open to be interpreted in that way as necessary.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135325 Aug 6, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just stating Catholic doctrine. I'm not Catholic.
Of course that is a given. I am not Curious here. I was trying to figure out what the doctrine said of Mary being free of original sin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shannon Smith Mills 3 hr Lol 5
can someone tell me y it is so hard to get divo... 3 hr the liberal redneck 7
Pam Dexter 4 hr Blacks 1
bonita 4 hr Uneedalife 2
Where's Wahoo? 5 hr Friendly Fire 3
Tyra Smith 7 hr married but needy 2
Tyra Smith 7 hr wishing 2
Motorcycle Accident 7 hr Wondering 7
Prayers Needed Sun pray 6
More from around the web