Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 143120 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#134714 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that the seperation between church and state should be respected. I don't expect the government to pay vouchers or anything else to me, I'm self-sufficient, but in return I don't want to pay for others lives as well that include, welfare (particularly third and forth generation), an over-sized and over-ruling government, condoms, and a hundred other things.
We are a country of great many beliefs and great many opinions, many different races, and many different cultures, it is near impossible to find anything that is taught in our schools or could be taught in our schools that "everyone" is going to agree with, so we should stop trying. Perhaps its time that we take the money "we" give the government and have it be dispursed equally between a few various schools and allow the parents to decide which one is the "closest" fit for their children.
I'm not sure, its simply a thought, but then again I at times believe that the country itself should be segmented, have the liberals have their own government and money and live their way, and the same with conservatives. Certainly trying to bring us together has not, nor will it ever work.
By the way, what makes you think Jesus would be a liberal. I think completely opposite. And if he would be a liberal, why is it that conservatives have embraced his teachings so?
We agree on religious freedom - inasfar as I believe you have the right to worship as you please and please leave others alone. The rest is just a bloody hemorrhage. I can see that I'm not going to be able to lead you to consider anything rationally. It appears that "reasonable" is one of your taboo words - just as are "non-partisan" and "cooperation." Personally, I think you've od'ed on AM talk radio hatemongers and wouldn't see the truth if it was painted on your windshield - with all due respect..
There is no way that schools tailored as you describe would work. the logistics alone would dictate that they'd have to be boarding schools, and morally what you describe is exceedingly questionable. You are endorsing the same kind of indoctrination to ideology that communism employed, you're just moving it from one central government to a handful of consortiums.
Jesus opposed the conservatism of the temple, Sanhedrin and Herod Antipas' regime. His position was without question radically progressive, defying and uprooting the restrictive and stagnant framework held in place by the powerful to benefit their hierarchy. You support the conservative establishment of church and politics - a restrictive and stagnant framework held in place by the powerful to benefit the hierarchy. That platform would not readily tolerate an influence of change like Jesus today, just as you clearly would not tolerate a figure like Lincoln today. I'm appalled that you think two sides working toward the common good is not acceptable and that dividing the nation is. By your proposal the country would never stop being divided and subdivided. The only way that could stop would be anarchy or totalitarianism. I suspect you think the former sounds like liberalism and latter might not bother you at all.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#134715 Jul 24, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
A question no Christian will answer. I've asked the question in many different forums, but no Christian will answer it!
How could you be happy in Heaven knowing people you care about are being tortured in Hell?
They made the wine, so let them drink a cup..
That would be like feeling sorry the guy that got killed cause he wanted to stick his head In an alligators mouth.
why should I feel sorry for the dumb bastard?
dumbas$ should not have stuck his head in it's mouth..
People make their own choices In life knowing the consequences and what might happen, so when it's time to pay the reaper, know that each had their own freewill to live as he wished..

“See how you are?”

Earth

#134716 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> They made the wine, so let them drink a cup..
That would be like feeling sorry the guy that got killed cause he wanted to stick his head In an alligators mouth.
People make their own choices In life knowing the consequences and what might happen, so when it's time to pay the reaper, know that each had their own freewill to live as he wished..
Wow. It's going to really, really suck when you, YaA, Known Fact, Chin and do whut look up and see those Seventh Day Adventists up there laughing at you over a calendar mixup.
get real

Holland, MI

#134717 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
We agree on religious freedom - inasfar as I believe you have the right to worship as you please and please leave others alone. The rest is just a bloody hemorrhage. I can see that I'm not going to be able to lead you to consider anything rationally. It appears that "reasonable" is one of your taboo words - just as are "non-partisan" and "cooperation." Personally, I think you've od'ed on AM talk radio hatemongers and wouldn't see the truth if it was painted on your windshield - with all due respect..
There is no way that schools tailored as you describe would work. the logistics alone would dictate that they'd have to be boarding schools, and morally what you describe is exceedingly questionable. You are endorsing the same kind of indoctrination to ideology that communism employed, you're just moving it from one central government to a handful of consortiums.
Jesus opposed the conservatism of the temple, Sanhedrin and Herod Antipas' regime. His position was without question radically progressive, defying and uprooting the restrictive and stagnant framework held in place by the powerful to benefit their hierarchy. You support the conservative establishment of church and politics - a restrictive and stagnant framework held in place by the powerful to benefit the hierarchy. That platform would not readily tolerate an influence of change like Jesus today, just as you clearly would not tolerate a figure like Lincoln today. I'm appalled that you think two sides working toward the common good is not acceptable and that dividing the nation is. By your proposal the country would never stop being divided and subdivided. The only way that could stop would be anarchy or totalitarianism. I suspect you think the former sounds like liberalism and latter might not bother you at all.
As i mentioned very clearly this was a simple thought, once again liberals can easily point their finger at what they believe is wrong but come up empty on solutions. And I once again two posts ago said that we should respect the seperation of church and state.

Listen, I don't think dividing the nation is a good idea, the nation is "already" divided and it's not going to come together, so my thinking is out of the box, to where you've yet to come up with any possible answer.

I happen to think Lincoln was a great president, and what Jesus would not tolerate, if you picked up the bible and read it, would be once part of society mouching off another, the terrible misuse of money by our government (and yes, the bible goes deep into finances), and homosexuality. Jesus would of been a staunch republican.

My suggestion to you is to stop attempting to be lofty and all knowing, and actually spit out something original that doesn't condemn others suggestions.

Location hidden

#134718 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. It's going to really, really suck when you, YaA, Known Fact, Chin and do whut look up and see those Seventh Day Adventists up there laughing at you over a calendar mixup.

Could you put that In hillbilly lingo for me?
The Bible speaks of a " great gulf " " bosom of Abraham "
I personally don't dwell on it a lot..
Either it is, or it isn't..
The Bible says we are our brothers keepers, but how long can you keep him up, before he can keep up himself?
Ultimately ones gonna be held accountable for his personal actions, so if he's burning in hell, he chose his own road..

“See how you are?”

Earth

#134719 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
As i mentioned very clearly this was a simple thought, once again liberals can easily point their finger at what they believe is wrong but come up empty on solutions. And I once again two posts ago said that we should respect the seperation of church and state.
Listen, I don't think dividing the nation is a good idea, the nation is "already" divided and it's not going to come together, so my thinking is out of the box, to where you've yet to come up with any possible answer.
I happen to think Lincoln was a great president, and what Jesus would not tolerate, if you picked up the bible and read it, would be once part of society mouching off another, the terrible misuse of money by our government (and yes, the bible goes deep into finances), and homosexuality. Jesus would of been a staunch republican.
My suggestion to you is to stop attempting to be lofty and all knowing, and actually spit out something original that doesn't condemn others suggestions.
What is the problem that you want "liberals" to solve that you won't automatically condemn simply because a "liberal" came up with it? I know liberals don't have all of the answers and I know conservatives don't have all of the answers. They are not opposites. They are not football teams. They are incredibly similar people with different ideas and somewhere in the middle is what might work if they both put away their egos and do their f'ing jobs. As long as all the parties try to do is oneupsmanship and spite each other, nothing good happens. Its a bullsht dog and pony show. If you think that the Republicans have been fiscally responsible over the last 30 years, you've been been sht-faced drunk and stoned for the last 40.
Jesus wouldn't have been a Democrat or a Republican. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete idiot. He wasn't trying to make or change government, he changed a theology based on 400+ laws and elitism and reformed social conscience. It wasn't Jesus who talked about homosexuality - it was PAUL. I said that you've od'ed on hatemongers - and now you are only a tic away from suggesting that Jesus was an intolerant hanging judge who did not care for the sick or poor and essentially was selfish and unforgiving... Do you hear what you are saying just to prove you disagree with me?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#134720 Jul 24, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Christ even died for her....
The problem is, how could Rose, or any other person WANT, no DEMAND
that Their Loved-ones go to Hell even if there'd be a slight chance that
they were wrong about an afterlife, and the destination of our own choosing?
They think that gay sex, or murdering Babies in their Mothers wombs now
are more important than their punishment later!
Pray for them always.... Amen :-)
Well who says Rose wants to go to hell? I do not think she believes in hell, so wanting it makes no sense.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#134721 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says we are our brothers keepers, but how long can you keep him up, before he can keep up himself?
Ultimately ones gonna be held accountable for his personal actions, so if he's burning in hell, he chose his own road..
It gonna suck when them Sunday churchfolk look up and see them Saturday folks a grinnin' down and roastin' weenies.

We survive as a society by individually being members of that society. We all owe each other for that, The invisible sky daddy and fairy tales might motivate people who wouldn't otherwise behave themselves accordingly. I never said that (Christian) religion cannot be a positive influence, I've said it isn't always a positive force.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134722 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
I said that the seperation between church and state should be respected. I don't expect the government to pay vouchers or anything else to me, I'm self-sufficient, but in return I don't want to pay for others lives as well that include, welfare (particularly third and forth generation), an over-sized and over-ruling government, condoms, and a hundred other things.
We are a country of great many beliefs and great many opinions, many different races, and many different cultures, it is near impossible to find anything that is taught in our schools or could be taught in our schools that "everyone" is going to agree with, so we should stop trying. Perhaps its time that we take the money "we" give the government and have it be dispursed equally between a few various schools and allow the parents to decide which one is the "closest" fit for their children.
I'm not sure, its simply a thought, but then again I at times believe that the country itself should be segmented, have the liberals have their own government and money and live their way, and the same with conservatives. Certainly trying to bring us together has not, nor will it ever work.
By the way, what makes you think Jesus would be a liberal. I think completely opposite. And if he would be a liberal, why is it that conservatives have embraced his teachings so?
What teachings of Jesus do conservatives embrace? It sure is not the turning of the cheek. Conservatives go for the old way Jesus said was wrong, an eye for an eye.
But generally, Jesus suggested a communism approach to society. Put all your goods in a pile and the community uses it as needed. Far from conservative values.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134723 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually America's system works pretty well with the different ideals.
What you suggest would divide families by geographical barriers. My family is comprised of a variety of political views. Keeping people separate and away from opposing views is extremely dangerous.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134724 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> They made the wine, so let them drink a cup..
The one thing most all believers claim is an unpardonable sin is non belief. So a non believer would surely go to hell. So you are equating non belief with sticking ones head into an alligators mouth. But the difference is, a person who sticks his head in an alligators mouth actually can see the reality of said alligator and actually see the real life risks.
No heaven or hell can be seen in order to make a decision based upon facts. So to expect belief is unreasonable. So it is irrational to send someone to hell for not believing. There is no sound logic to the idea.
If a relative of yours happened to not believe, are you saying he deserves eternal torture for his beliefs? Is he just a dumb bastard for having said beliefs?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134725 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Well why did you suggest dividing the nation would be a good solution if now you say you do not think it is a good solution? Are you debating your own post?
The nation surely has some division, as ever nation in the history of earth does have divided opinions. Welcome to planet earth and reality pal. But what I think you are missing is the fact that even a divided nation can come together and agree on some things, and even enough things to prosper, as America has done for two hundred years.
I think the opposing views keep us in check from going either way to any extremes, and this is good.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134726 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>

I do not know what Lincoln has to do with anything, but I am sure the bible does not say one thing about Jesus and homosexuality. You may believe he was against it all you wish, but the bible is silent on Jesus' opinion on the matter.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134727 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>

Does Jesus speak of finances? If so, please tell us where the scripture is, and tell us how it supports the conservative values. So far, you have yet to show any.

I think you confuse Jesus with the bible as a whole. Keep in mind how Jesus does not really support the old ways. I feel conservatives missed that Sunday school lesson.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134728 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
. Jesus would of been a staunch republican.
Maybe you missed it, but I did not. Your first sentence here is being "lofty and all knowing".

Let me again point out you cited zero scriptures to prove your claims of Jesus having any conservative values.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134729 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you doubting the idea of being your brothers keepers? Maybe you should ask god how long you should "keep him up".

I really do not think being your brothers keepers had anything thing to do with the idea of what comes after death.(not that I think anything comes after death, but death.)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134730 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>

Get real says;

Mike says;
Just wanted to point out the glaring contradictions.
So what you once thought, is different than what you sometimes think should happen. Next you will be telling me to not act all knowing, as in the case of you knowing the country will never be brought together in working order..........yet it works.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134731 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
As i mentioned very clearly this was a simple thought, once again liberals can easily point their finger at what they believe is wrong but come up empty on solutions..
Part of finding solutions is identifying problems with the solutions suggested. And another part of finding solutions is identifying the problem.
The problem you seem to be suggesting is (please clarify if I am wrong) that the schools do not cater to the parents every belief.
Well if we are to have any sort of public school system, of course this would be impossible. And any society that does not have a public school system seems doomed to failure.
In fact, the nations who have higher education as part of a public plan do seem to have more success in the percentages of successfully learned students.

So my solution is to have government offer more public schooling, especially higher education made funded publically.

Location hidden

#134732 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It gonna suck when them Sunday churchfolk look up and see them Saturday folks a grinnin' down and roastin' weenies.
We survive as a society by individually being members of that society. We all owe each other for that, The invisible sky daddy and fairy tales might motivate people who wouldn't otherwise behave themselves accordingly. I never said that (Christian) religion cannot be a positive influence, I've said it isn't always a positive force.
I heard a joke one time about a man dying and going to heaven, he was talking to saint pete at the pearly gates and he could see the people in hell drinking beer and naked women running around, saint pete was telling the guy how great it was to praise God for eternity and dude said to hell with that, send me to hell, looks like they're having fun down there, saint pete said as you wish, he gets to hell, they hand him a beer and he say's this beer doesn't have a hole in it, they look at him and point at the women and say, they don't either.

Location hidden

#134733 Jul 24, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you doubting the idea of being your brothers keepers? Maybe you should ask god how long you should "keep him up".
I really do not think being your brothers keepers had anything thing to do with the idea of what comes after death.(not that I think anything comes after death, but death.)
We are of course talking about " according " to the Bible, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Oven Mitt 2 hr lol 67
Joe Ore arrested again 3 hr curious 2
Qualfications of a Pastor? 4 hr MisFit Kid 8
laptops 4 sale 5 hr ttwarewolf 12
Is judge ex Jm hall going to prison ? 6 hr Knox county 15
kink 7 hr rufus 10
looking for something too rent.... 7 hr remt 2
Shooting at Walmart??? 7 hr MisFit Kid 52
More from around the web

Personal Finance