Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
128,041 - 128,060 of 128,575 Comments Last updated 51 min ago

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, no one is keeping you from enlightenig us with what the theorists say....Let us not forget,theories ARE NOT FACTS, so don't attempt tp pass them off as such.
Q has posted his postulate,which he agreed could be totally wrong.
What he posted the other day explained nothing.
The insurmountable problem for you atheists is that
Either something ' God" always existed,even before the universe,time amd space were created " that being eternal, or nothing existed and that Norhing had the ability to create something out of nothing,,,
God claims to be everlasting to everlassting, I AM THAT IAM and as claimed by Jesus Christ has life within Himself and needs no creator...
Do any of your theorists explain how it is possible that Nothing has the ability to create something as simple as a replicating cell? Whichthough simple,science can not explain how and where the information cotained in a cell came from and which science has beemn quite unable to duplicate.
Let us see these theories and see how they measure up to reality, instead of whinning about
what they may or may not contain...
Fact is that you have not been able to dieprove any of what I posted,but keep whinning about
apologist and creationist cites.....
That is quite correct. The only one keeping you from reality is you.
Your claim is that the Bible is factual and accepted theories are not. News flash, bubba - that's why you are deemed delusional.
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
That is quite correct. The only one keeping you from reality is you.
Your claim is that the Bible is factual and accepted theories are not. News flash, bubba - that's why you are deemed delusional.
Believing that nothing can create something out of nothing means you are well beyond delusional,It has led you into a stste of incoherency,unreliable science fiction and into the midst of unspeakable lunacy.....Bobolon..........
Where are the theories you were ranting about?
Permit me to peruse them so I can form my own judgement,as opposed to accepting your very unreliable opinion of such.......

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

Joyce Meyers
Why Do I Do What I Do?
https://www.joycemeyer.org/broadcasthome.aspx...

Passive Minds

by Joyce Meyer - posted July 13, 2014

Leave no [such] room or foothold for the devil [give no opportunity to him].
—Ephesians 4:27

Perhaps the best way to interpret these words of the apostle Paul is to say it this way: Don’t give the devil an opportu¬nity. There are many ways we actually give the devil an opening to pounce on us. One of those ways involves being passive.

To be passive is the opposite of being active. This can be a dangerous problem because it means you aren’t on guard, you aren’t actively standing up, and you aren’t alert. One of the devil’s most deceiving tricks is to get you to do nothing and to feel content about it.

I have found a wide variety of definitions for the word passive, but I describe it as a lack of feeling, a lack of desire, apathy, laziness, and lukewarmness. It is what John referred to when he wrote to the church at Laodicea:“I know your [record of] works and what you are doing; you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot!”(Revelation 3:15).

It reminds me of something someone told me years ago.“I’ve been a good Christian today,” he said.“I haven’t hurt anyone or done anyone any harm.” In a moment of insight, I said,“But have you done any good for anyone?”

He stared at me for several seconds before he said,“I guess I never thought of it that way. I was so concerned about not doing anything wrong, that I never thought about doing anything good.”

That’s one of the tricks the devil plays on our minds. All we need to do is read the Bible to find out what God says. Paul wrote to Timothy:“That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the embers of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the [gracious] gift of God [the inner fire] that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands [with those of the elders at your ordination]. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-¬control”(2 Timothy 1:6–7). Paul told his young disciple to shake himself up and do something—which is good for us to consider, as well. Paul urged us to get moving and start using the gifts God has given us.

The devil knows that inactivity, laziness, or failure to exercise our will for doing good can throw us into ultimate defeat. As long as we move against the devil, we can win the battle. When we do nothing, we become his prime target. It’s when we get stirred into action, and passionate about faith, and zealous to follow God that we can destroy all the devil’s influence.
http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

Peter wrote to the persecuted believers of his day:“Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. Withstand him; be firm in faith [against his onset—rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined]”(1 Peter 5:8–9a).

I stress this because I see many believers who don’t feel passionate about anything, so they don’t do anything. They attend worship services and praise the Lord if they feel like it. They read their Bibles if they have the energy and time. If they don’t feel like doing something, they just don’t do it.

That’s not God’s way. We need to stir ourselves up—the way Paul urged Timothy. I’ll use myself as an example to illustrate what I mean. I don’t really enjoy physical exercise that much, but the more I exercise, the easier it gets and the better I feel. It was pretty tough when I first started the program. In fact, it hurt. I was sore. I ached all over, and I wanted to quit. I’d been so inactive (passive) for so long about physical exercise that it was painful! And my physical condition only worsened as long as I did nothing about it. But exercising consistently eventually paid off.

Let me encourage you to stir yourself. Get active. You don’t want to give place to the devil by doing nothing. If you make the effort to praise and to read the Bible, you give God the opportunity to bless you. If you don’t make the effort, you are inviting the enemy into your life. Get moving! Start today.

God, help me to stir myself up, especially on those days when I don’t feel passionate. Help me remember that it is an act of the will that You honor. In the name of Jesus, help me to stay vigilant and active—and that means being victorious, as well. Amen.
http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional...
Spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

Interesting article.

The Last Drop: America's Breadbasket Faces Dire Water Crisis
By Brian Brown

This story is one in a series on a crisis in America's Breadbasket –the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer and its effects on a region that helps feed the world.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/last-drop...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Q has posted his postulate,which he agreed could be totally wrong.
What he posted the other day explained nothing.
Of course my postulate could be wrong... Einsteins Special Relativity could be wrong, the principles that are used to build nuclear reactors could be wrong... Gravitational Theory could be wrong.... What we perceive as Reality could be wrong...
What I posted in response the other day Absolutely gave an explanation of "Nothing"
... Not my fault that you seem to not understand complex thoughts...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Says Yiago"Science is another word for common sense writ large."
Says I Nonsensical statement which means and explains nothing
The rest of your posting is a desperate attempt to muddy the waters based on your nonsencical opinion
I am not cursed, you may wanna apply that allegation to those who deconvert and then find themselves full of anxiety,depression , lonely and feeling abandoned.
I CONSIDER MYSELF BLESSED..
And no, I do not prefer" magic man in the sky" that is another lame atheist excuse, which in essence is what the atheist faith is based on." Magic Nothing in the sky
Nothing created something from nothing and endowed it with life,intelligence and consciousness. A magical miracle that not even Houdini would dare attempt and on which your faith is based.
Moreover, atheist scientists claim that life does not need a creator. In order to prove thwir point, they have spent countless hours,designed many experiments in their futile attempts to create life,,,,,,,,,,So, they are trying to create that which they claim does not need a creator Illogicicity at it's worse
I am going to prove life needs no creator by attempting to create life.
They'd be more succesful if they tried Nothing as they claim nothing is responsible
Yikessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssss
Los ignorantes ateos a juyirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
This magic Nothing ,so different and so knew
Is what atheists believe,created me and you
And then it happened, and to no one's surprise
that they had been deceived,by their insidious lies
The Driters,,,,1960
Consider this:

Humans look at the world around them and ask questions. Some humans come up with ways to test ideas. Some ideas pass these tests and seem to be true. Others have obvious flaws and seem false.

This process eventually comes to be known as "science".

With science, humans continue to look at the world. Sometimes the method strongly suggests an idea and the idea pans out. We get cures for diseases, vaccines for diseases, rocket ships, computers, better ways to live well, and so on. We also get bad things like bigger guns and bombs. But humans recognize that this "science" tool is just a tool. It is morally neutral. We accept this and try to keep it firmly in mind as we move on.

People ask "What started all this? Was there a beginning?" And with science we explore those questions. And they are HARD questions to explore. Amazingly, we find multiple lines of evidence that strongly suggest an event in the distant past when things got started.

And by "things" we mean the universe we observe today. We call this even "Big Bang" (jokingly at first). Figuring out anything prior to it (if "prior" can even be used in this context) proves to be immensely challenging and the investigation is ongoing.

But at no point in this investigation did we make a flat statement of fact about what "caused" the Big Bang. We speculate. We hypothesize. We investigate. Sure, some people will make very strong statements about what they believe is the answer. And maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. But the jury is not only still out on that question, it has barely begun to hear the case.

This is what it means to investigate reality.
SNYB

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you compare apples to oranges by calling them both purple?
If you are trying for scathing and thoughtful, you've widely missed the mark. Why do I always have to urge you to keep up?
If I were to compare anything to purple, it would be grapes and eggplants, and the comparison would stop there, for logical reasons.

Why do I always have to example logic to you, and then explain it?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Believing that nothing can create something out of nothing means you are well beyond delusional,It has led you into a stste of incoherency,unreliable science fiction and into the midst of unspeakable lunacy.....Bobolon..........
Where are the theories you were ranting about?
Permit me to peruse them so I can form my own judgement,as opposed to accepting your very unreliable opinion of such.......
There are many speculations about the "birth" and nature of the early universe. Some say the universe bubbled off of another, some say "something came from nothing", some say it came from the collapse of an earlier universe, some say a god did it. <shrug> Nobody really knows. What can be said with some certainty is that the laws of physics did not apply prior to or outside of "normal" space time, therefore causality is inapplicable. I hardly expect you to wrap your mind around those ramifications.
I have not given an opinion on the matter for you to reject. A 6,000 to 10,000 year old Genesis is definitely a myth. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.
Your "best" judgement is that your god did it. Let's not pretend that is going to change in the face of superior evidence. As your ego says, you are opposed to accepting.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were to compare anything to purple, it would be grapes and eggplants, and the comparison would stop there, for logical reasons.
Why do I always have to example logic to you, and then explain it?
It was an analogy and as usual you got it completely backwards.
You always have to example "logic" because you are overly proud to march to the beat of a different drummer - and that drummer has a broken drum, palsy and absolutely no sense of rhythm. Your "logic" is yours alone.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider this:
Humans look at the world around them and ask questions. Some humans come up with ways to test ideas. Some ideas pass these tests and seem to be true. Others have obvious flaws and seem false.
This process eventually comes to be known as "science".
With science, humans continue to look at the world. Sometimes the method strongly suggests an idea and the idea pans out. We get cures for diseases, vaccines for diseases, rocket ships, computers, better ways to live well, and so on. We also get bad things like bigger guns and bombs. But humans recognize that this "science" tool is just a tool. It is morally neutral. We accept this and try to keep it firmly in mind as we move on.
People ask "What started all this? Was there a beginning?" And with science we explore those questions. And they are HARD questions to explore. Amazingly, we find multiple lines of evidence that strongly suggest an event in the distant past when things got started.
And by "things" we mean the universe we observe today. We call this even "Big Bang" (jokingly at first). Figuring out anything prior to it (if "prior" can even be used in this context) proves to be immensely challenging and the investigation is ongoing.
But at no point in this investigation did we make a flat statement of fact about what "caused" the Big Bang. We speculate. We hypothesize. We investigate. Sure, some people will make very strong statements about what they believe is the answer. And maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. But the jury is not only still out on that question, it has barely begun to hear the case.
This is what it means to investigate reality.
True Dat....

My first position when anyone at any time states something, Anything, as absolute Fact is Disbelief....

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

KublaKhan wrote:
<quoted text>
I drop in from time to time.. it bothers me that people still want to point to the "separation of church and state/Constitution" argument. I try my best to educate those people. And, I agree. The state should be neutral.
That's because Yes and Amen is a liar. He/She cast out about as many demons as I have in my lifetime. Which is to say 0. As I previously stated, the ability to do such things were endowed to the Apostles and when the last one died (John), that power vanished with him. Anyone claiming different is outright lying to you.
Most of you think the "Bible Thumpers" are crazy.. and I really can't argue with that, after watching this thread expand as much as it has. A lot of them are either crazy or just ignorant of what the Bible says, not to mention what it actually *means*.
I'm never going to convince some of you to change your lives and you're never going to convince me that God doesn't exist. So, we shake hands, wish each other well and travel down our own separate paths.
Peace upon all of you.
I have yet to hear a single reason a person would rationally believe anyone ever cast a demon out. No one has yet to show a demon even. Casting out imaginary beings is but a claim with absolutely zero evidence.

The bible is a mass of contradictions. It is probable a person is going to be confused of what it means. It is no accident there are so many sects and denominations. It is due to the contradictions.

As was pointed out recently, Jesus claimed to not have come to change the law, then said do not follow the law of stoning adulterers. Po

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Lucky for you, you didn't TOTALLY discredit the possibility of ancient natural scenarios.
And I for one am admittedly not much on dogma. Doctrine is tolerable, because such allows for individual thought, opinion and existence.
Dogma however ...is "get us some peas and eat your peas because we sayz so" level ignorance, of which some of us, do not tolerate well....which is worthy only of an "get and eat your own damn peas youself, and don't tell me what to get and eat" reply.
Anyway, Einstien for the "ill" chrumoilio...because knowing the difference from the demanding dogmas of begetting, and the more RATIONAL actual allowances for independent thought and choices, is a wonderful thing.
Well no one here ever claimed floods did not exist in ancient times as they do now. But for some odd reason you keep acting as if the atheists do make this claim. I figure it is your desperate attempt to divert.
I also hear no atheists demanding others they are not allowed to believe in dogma, or mythical floods.
Now I see no harm being done by informing people the flood contradicts the known science of the day. You see, I think information is good. Seems you have no problem when the flood stories are pushed on us, but you have serious problems when someone tells the other side, that has evidence to back it up.
This is why I call you Sistadoublestandard.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya...we know!
(and NO...I have OTHER things that need tended to..so your little peabrain will just have to amuse itself.)
You mean like the task of calling people names in your nasty way? I can see that takes up a lot of your time. Diverting from the debate seems to consume your time also.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Made ya loook :-P
Yes, debating nonsensical comments often does lead me to look things up. I do learn from debating. Not that I think it was your goal.
The image the bible paints of Noah is nothing like the image Einstein's words painted of himself.
I can see you refuse to understand this simple concept.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
If I used the Bible to "enforce" lessons based upon solely what "I" felt others needed "taught" sometimes Duquette...it would not be good.
But instead, I rely on logic and knowing better, and choose to "turn the proverbial cheek" realizing, because there's a lot of "sick" people in this world, that do not.
Remember that. next time you wish to try and accuse me of not.
I fully aware you turn the other cheek to those who literally believe in the bible as they insist we atheists are mentally unstable for not believing as they.
You do not turn the other cheek to atheists, you cast the first stone. It is called a double standard, Sister.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Duquette, I wasn't around to know the man, therefore, I would never form a concrete absolute opinion on such.
Yet you did give an opinion of him. I have yet to hear you waver of the opinion you gave, so it seems to be concrete to you. I showed much evidence that opinion has flaws, yet you divert when it is presented. So it seems as if you refuse to allow it to be a factor in your opinion making.

I was not around back then either. That is why I keep pointing out that I am basing my opinion upon what the bible claims, and what Einstein said.

I cannot know just what you think, I can only go by the words you write.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>

Science is no closer to finding an answer than a gorilla in the mist.
Good thing you can always insert a god into the gaps then, so you have no voids.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone reads verbatim and literal Duquette--thank goodness....or there'd be a world full of many--- just as stupid as that post!
(Sorry not a fan of easy to see through Farwell type mentality here---never have been...never will be...so ya might want to stick to Einstien!!)
99% of the Christians on this forum believe in the bible as it reads, verbatim. I am on your side here, as I do not believe it as it reads.
I do not believe Moses was as the bible reads. I do not believe the events happens as it reads. But the Christians here do. Yet you are passive to them, while you condemn me for pointing out how it is not logical to believe the bible as it reads verbatim.

I never claimed you were a Falwell fan. I claimed the bible describes Noah as having the same mentality as Falwell.
This is not all about you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jul 14

Judged:

SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW that is amazing stupidity. Perhaps you should look up Atheist in a dictionary. You are an Idiot!
a·the·ist
&#712;&#257;TH&#27 5;&#716;ist/
noun
noun: atheist; plural noun: atheists
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Now if you could show a definition that claims atheists claim to be able to prove a god does not exist.
I sure do not see that in the definition you cite.
I do not believe in unicorns, but I do not claim to be able to prove unicorns do not exist.

You clearly cannot understand this concept, yet call me stupid?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

84 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min DemocRATS 146,140
Stivers Center fixes 11 min fixes 16
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 29 min 40ish 3,785
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 51 min thispost1912 1,011
just seen what goin on 1 hr sandra brooks 2
Anyone have any free kittens? 1 hr reader 11
What happened at the dollor store in flat lick ... 2 hr Jackie 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••