Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148177 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#134729 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you put that In hillbilly lingo for me?
The Bible speaks of a " great gulf " " bosom of Abraham "
I personally don't dwell on it a lot..
Either it is, or it isn't..
The Bible says we are our brothers keepers, but how long can you keep him up, before he can keep up himself?
Ultimately ones gonna be held accountable for his personal actions, so if he's burning in hell, he chose his own road..
Are you doubting the idea of being your brothers keepers? Maybe you should ask god how long you should "keep him up".

I really do not think being your brothers keepers had anything thing to do with the idea of what comes after death.(not that I think anything comes after death, but death.)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134730 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>

Listen, I don't think dividing the nation is a good idea, the nation is "already" divided and it's not going to come together, so my thinking is out of the box, to where you've yet to come up with any possible answer.
Get real says;
I'm not sure, its simply a thought, but then again I at times believe that the country itself should be segmented, have the liberals have their own government and money and live their way, and the same with conservatives. Certainly trying to bring us together has not, nor will it ever work.

Mike says;
Just wanted to point out the glaring contradictions.
So what you once thought, is different than what you sometimes think should happen. Next you will be telling me to not act all knowing, as in the case of you knowing the country will never be brought together in working order..........yet it works.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134731 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
As i mentioned very clearly this was a simple thought, once again liberals can easily point their finger at what they believe is wrong but come up empty on solutions..
Part of finding solutions is identifying problems with the solutions suggested. And another part of finding solutions is identifying the problem.
The problem you seem to be suggesting is (please clarify if I am wrong) that the schools do not cater to the parents every belief.
Well if we are to have any sort of public school system, of course this would be impossible. And any society that does not have a public school system seems doomed to failure.
In fact, the nations who have higher education as part of a public plan do seem to have more success in the percentages of successfully learned students.

So my solution is to have government offer more public schooling, especially higher education made funded publically.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#134732 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It gonna suck when them Sunday churchfolk look up and see them Saturday folks a grinnin' down and roastin' weenies.
We survive as a society by individually being members of that society. We all owe each other for that, The invisible sky daddy and fairy tales might motivate people who wouldn't otherwise behave themselves accordingly. I never said that (Christian) religion cannot be a positive influence, I've said it isn't always a positive force.
I heard a joke one time about a man dying and going to heaven, he was talking to saint pete at the pearly gates and he could see the people in hell drinking beer and naked women running around, saint pete was telling the guy how great it was to praise God for eternity and dude said to hell with that, send me to hell, looks like they're having fun down there, saint pete said as you wish, he gets to hell, they hand him a beer and he say's this beer doesn't have a hole in it, they look at him and point at the women and say, they don't either.

Location hidden

#134733 Jul 24, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you doubting the idea of being your brothers keepers? Maybe you should ask god how long you should "keep him up".
I really do not think being your brothers keepers had anything thing to do with the idea of what comes after death.(not that I think anything comes after death, but death.)
We are of course talking about " according " to the Bible, right?

Location hidden

#134734 Jul 24, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The one thing most all believers claim is an unpardonable sin is non belief. So a non believer would surely go to hell. So you are equating non belief with sticking ones head into an alligators mouth. But the difference is, a person who sticks his head in an alligators mouth actually can see the reality of said alligator and actually see the real life risks.
No heaven or hell can be seen in order to make a decision based upon facts. So to expect belief is unreasonable. So it is irrational to send someone to hell for not believing. There is no sound logic to the idea.
If a relative of yours happened to not believe, are you saying he deserves eternal torture for his beliefs? Is he just a dumb bastard for having said beliefs?
Sure he can..
That's why I would not feel sorry for him..
Dumbas$ should have known better.
You play with fire, you'll get burned..
I'm saying you get what you play for, doesn't matter who it is...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134735 Jul 24, 2014
The Bear777 wrote:
<quoted text>yes
Lamp.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134736 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> Sure he can..
That's why I would not feel sorry for him..
Dumbas$ should have known better.
You play with fire, you'll get burned..
I'm saying you get what you play for, doesn't matter who it is...
Sure he can.....what? Can you not complete a full thought?
How could he have known better when zero evidence shows what you claim? There is no fire to be seen. It is a claim of fire no one can prove is real.
"Get what you play for"? What is the person playing?
I see you have trouble using language. Maybe lay off the catch phrases a bit.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134737 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> They made the wine, so let them drink a cup..
That would be like feeling sorry the guy that got killed cause he wanted to stick his head In an alligators mouth.
why should I feel sorry for the dumb bastard?
dumbas$ should not have stuck his head in it's mouth..
People make their own choices In life knowing the consequences and what might happen, so when it's time to pay the reaper, know that each had their own freewill to live as he wished..
Again, stringing together a bunch of catch phrases does not really explain what you are thinking, unless you wish us to think you only think in terms of propaganda catch phrases.

But I get the feeling you have no empathy for humans being tortured for eternity due to not believing in what you believe.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134738 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you put that In hillbilly lingo for me?
The Bible speaks of a " great gulf " " bosom of Abraham "
I personally don't dwell on it a lot..
Either it is, or it isn't..
The Bible says we are our brothers keepers, but how long can you keep him up, before he can keep up himself?
Ultimately ones gonna be held accountable for his personal actions, so if he's burning in hell, he chose his own road..
How many catch phrases can you cram into one short post?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134739 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I heard a joke one time about a man dying and going to heaven, he was talking to saint pete at the pearly gates and he could see the people in hell drinking beer and naked women running around, saint pete was telling the guy how great it was to praise God for eternity and dude said to hell with that, send me to hell, looks like they're having fun down there, saint pete said as you wish, he gets to hell, they hand him a beer and he say's this beer doesn't have a hole in it, they look at him and point at the women and say, they don't either.
And in heaven you get 72 virgins if you are a terrorist......or so some holy books claim and have zero evidence of said claim.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134740 Jul 24, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> We are of course talking about " according " to the Bible, right?
Yes, now care to answer the question?

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>Are you doubting the idea of being your brothers keepers? Maybe you should ask god how long you should "keep him up".

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134741 Jul 24, 2014
get real wrote:
<quoted text>

We are a country of great many beliefs and great many opinions, many different races, and many different cultures, it is near impossible to find anything that is taught in our schools or could be taught in our schools that "everyone" is going to agree with, so we should stop trying. Perhaps its time that we take the money "we" give the government and have it be dispursed equally between a few various schools and allow the parents to decide which one is the "closest" fit for their children.
o?
We did stop trying, that is why science is taught no matter how much the religious fundamentalists do not agree with it. You see, public schools try to teach what is evident, not what is believed without evidence.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134742 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, the media doesn't manipulate anything...the public is smart enough to see right through it.
Sinkhole in a farmer's field, dog has 21 puppies and football team wins. News at 6 followed by new episode of Honey BooBoo.
Well in the end, Hollywood did put out many movies that did show the horrors of what the Germans did. I did feel that some generations did not get the full picture very well. Not that the full picture could ever be reproduced, as the documentary discusses. It is impossible to really show how horrible the atrocities were.
Survivors have helped greatly being advisors to movie makers in trying to keep the picture accurate. We are now coming to a day when no survivors will be living to help keep the pictures accurate at all. So who knows what is to come of the future movies of the holocaust.

It is a good documentary for anyone interested in the holocaust and the media coverage of it. I watch a lot of documentaries on the holocaust, and find many of them simply repeating what I already know. This one taught me many things I did not know.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#134743 Jul 24, 2014
A great point the documentary (Imaginary witness, Hollywood and the holocaust) makes is, the event identifies what most agree is an absolute evil. Killing people due to ethnic orientation or religious belief is the absolute evil.
May I point out that Moses did this, and Deuteronomy 13 demands it.
So I find it strange when so many theists here defend these bible stories. It seems they defend what most feel is the ultimate evil.
SNYB

Chagrin Falls, OH

#134744 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You really shouldn't bring up ignorance or how to address others, sistahypocrite.
Why did I have to point out to you the difference between fact and opinion? You didn't bring it up. You even argued for a couple week over whether women pee through the birth canal. Maybe you should stick with your trademark unintelligible baby babble.
Otay....
Did it get it's wittle feeling all wadded up in a bunch?

Too bad. Get over it!

(there now, you're welcome.)
SNYB

Chagrin Falls, OH

#134745 Jul 24, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No part of Church doctrine is evidence of fact or is built upon verifiable or even plausible facts - quite the opposite. The evidence which >does< exist and has been thoroughly discussed throws the whole shebang into near absolute doubt lock, stock and barrel. There is >nothing< to indicate it is anything more or less than an intentionally cultured delusion. Whose fault is the abject ignorant fantasy imperiously created in the fourth-sixth century? Agnostics? Atheists? Bring your facts on that proposal - otherwise all you've got are strings of words like popcorn on a garland.
FACT:

Did you hear the one about the moron that took a couple of paragraphs of one's personal opinion on facts, opinions, and (quatumn type) dimensions and turned it into some sort of rant on church doctrines and fantasies of the fourth and sixth centuries and some Christmas ornamental type decoration and/or bird feeding methods?

FACT.
(You might be moron if..........
SNYB

Chagrin Falls, OH

#134746 Jul 24, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, so you are praying to god he does not lead you temptation. Whether you have free will or not, the god is still leading the person astray.
Is it impossible for you to debate a philosophical question?
But astray from bonehead morons like...well...anyway....away from temptations NOT of anything good-- is a GOOD thing.

Now, Is it impossible for you to comprehend an actually rational and logical answer?
SNYB

Chagrin Falls, OH

#134747 Jul 24, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Can you name what I do that is immoral?
I have a problem with bigoted ignorant Christians. And when I air those problems, you whine and stomp your feet like a child. You clearly have no problem with bigoted ignorant Christians who make broad based claims of the horrors of atheism. But of course that is your normal double standard showing.
I see you do not deny running from the accusation of running and resorting to the personal insults.
My feet are firmly planted on the floor...I'm not whining..and I don't lump and labelDUHM ANYONE into a category, and judge it all as the same.
Therefore, YOU are guilty, of "lying" on another- immorally.

And as long as you act like a moron, I just may continue to point that out and call you a moron. Not denying that at all. So, another "immoral" lying check mark for you.

(and BTW, just because someone does not act, think or respond as YOU think they should, dos NOT mean that they have a "double standard". It just means they have their OWN MIND--and do NOT need YOU or anyone like you-to think, talk or anything else for them!)

Location hidden

#134749 Jul 25, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again, stringing together a bunch of catch phrases does not really explain what you are thinking, unless you wish us to think you only think in terms of propaganda catch phrases.
But I get the feeling you have no empathy for humans being tortured for eternity due to not believing in what you believe.
I believe it's every man for himself.
I could not less if a fkn idiot is burning in hell or whatever for the choices he made.
such as yourself..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
karla collins 6 min Charlotte 5
Tracebranch 33 min bcb 19
Bonita Williams BHS board member should RESIGN !!! 58 min Disgusted 37
Bus Garage 4 hr too funny 2
Miss you 7 hr MRH 2
Concert ticket 7 hr Your wife 2
Beer sales 7 hr Pegg 1
who got shot 11 hr curt 8
Board Meeting Thu Marc 66
More from around the web