Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,463

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#133489 Jul 6, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Science, rather, scientists are not perfect and make numerous mistake
Of course. Everyone does. Nothing in your post refutes the notion that science is the most reliable method of gaining knowledge.

Or that revelation is completely worthless.
chinwendu1 wrote:
3: Germs in Surgery
Laugh or cry (take your pick), but up until the late 19th century, doctors didn't really see the need to wash their hands before picking up a scalpel.
Imagine the billions of lives that would have been saved if Jesus had simply told people about germs and simple methods to kill them. But, he didn't give anyone that knowledge...because he didn't have it himself. Jesus knew no more than any other 1st century human, because that's all he was himself.
a christian

Somerset, KY

#133490 Jul 6, 2014
It is a persons privilege to rely upon their own wisdom, rather than that of our creator. It is also a Christians obligation to tell someone (ONCE) one time, the plan of salvation through Jesus Christ, and after that it is up to that person to decide if they wish to seek to know God, if they are interested, they will come back with other questions. Otherwise one must have regular bible lessons with that person, if they are to learn Gods way.
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133491 Jul 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"Satan" is a proper noun - the "S" is capitalised,.
That was on purpose, satan has many names, he does not deserve to be properly acknowleged, if you will notice Gods was capitalized, which by the way you misspelled,

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#133492 Jul 6, 2014
sun up sun down wrote:
That was on purpose, satan has many names, he does not deserve to be properly acknowleged
The god of the Bible also has many names.

Using the same logic you have just expressed, means that he does not deserve to be properly acknowledged either.
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133493 Jul 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you're saying is that contrary to Deuteronomy, to be a prophet you only have to speak for the god of the Bible.
Whether what you say is right or wrong is irrelevant?
I would like to answer that, a prophet is one who brings others a message, that are inspired by the Holy Spirit, prophets, bringing messages from the God of Israel, Isaac & Jacob, and there are false prophets who teach lies contrary to the word of God, who are inspired by satan. So a prophet is one who brings a message to others, and all are not from God.

Nottingham, UK

#133494 Jul 6, 2014
a christian wrote:
It is a persons privilege to rely upon their own wisdom, rather than that of our creator. It is also a Christians obligation to tell someone (ONCE) one time, the plan of salvation through Jesus Christ, and after that it is up to that person to decide if they wish to seek to know God, if they are interested, they will come back with other questions. Otherwise one must have regular bible lessons with that person, if they are to learn Gods way.
The Bible clearly tells us that God is the saviour of all men, especially those who believe.

Therefore, according to the Bible, believing is not a prerequisite for being saved.
a christian

Somerset, KY

#133495 Jul 6, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. Everyone does. Nothing in your post refutes the notion that science is the most reliable method of gaining knowledge.
Or that revelation is completely worthless.
<quoted text>
Imagine the billions of lives that would have been saved if Jesus had simply told people about germs and simple methods to kill them. But, he didn't give anyone that knowledge...because he didn't have it himself. Jesus knew no more than any other 1st century human, because that's all he was himself.
Why do you think he is the most remembered & talked about human (God in the flesh) after 2,000 plus years then. Why are you still interested.??? That is blasphemy, which is not an unpardonable sin, unless it is against the Holy Spirit., so don"t go there please.!!!
a christian

Somerset, KY

#133496 Jul 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible clearly tells us that God is the saviour of all men, especially those who believe.
Therefore, according to the Bible, believing is not a prerequisite for being saved.
As Jesus said in Mark 16;16, He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. He that believeth not shall be damned. Meaning you will be lost.

Nottingham, UK

#133497 Jul 6, 2014
sun up sun down wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to answer that, a prophet is one who brings others a message, that are inspired by the Holy Spirit, prophets, bringing messages from the God of Israel, Isaac & Jacob, and there are false prophets who teach lies contrary to the word of God, who are inspired by satan. So a prophet is one who brings a message to others, and all are not from God.
I think I get what you're saying.

So when Isaiah made an incorrect prophecy he was inspired by Satan and not God?
Niome

Lincoln, NE

#133498 Jul 6, 2014
I wish lawmakers would give equal time to people of faith. A lot of professional public school teachers and administrators there days are self-professed atheists or agnostics (respectively, people who either do not believe in God or cannot decide whether or not God exists). And many school curriculums reflect their biases against Christianity and Judaism especially.

Why should non-faith folk have a platform to expound on their views without some regulation, too? There is separation of church and state, but that does not mean that educators must be non-faith in outlook and express their personal views to children with impunity, does it?

So if atheists beat up figuratively speaking on teachers every time sacred religious texts are mentioned, or when someone invokes the Golden Rule or the Ten Commandments, how about equal time to complain about atheist and agnostic views being hyped in the classroom?

If religion is to be off-topic, so also should atheism and agnosticism be off-topic.
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133499 Jul 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Tim. 4: 10, He is the savior of all men, who do his will., read that whole chapter, and rightly divide the word of truth. You cannot just take one verse and hang your salvation on one verse. There are many thousands more we must read and obey.
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133500 Jul 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I get what you're saying.
So when Isaiah made an incorrect prophecy he was inspired by Satan and not God?
And what incorrect prophecy would that be.???
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133501 Jul 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The god of the Bible also has many names.
Using the same logic you have just expressed, means that he does not deserve to be properly acknowledged either.
God is the creator, not the fallen angels including satan. You know what I mean.

Nottingham, UK

#133502 Jul 6, 2014
a christian wrote:
<quoted text> As Jesus said in Mark 16;16, He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. He that believeth not shall be damned. Meaning you will be lost.
"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe."

1 Timothy 4:10

So what you're saying is that the above verse is wrong?

Also

Mark 16:18 says....

"They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

This means that Christians shouldn't die when they get bitten by poisonous snakes - they do.

Furthermore, a cyanide strychnine cocktail would be perfectly safe for a Christian to drink.
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133503 Jul 6, 2014
sun up sun down wrote:
<quoted text>And what incorrect prophecy would that be.???
You didn't answer my question.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#133504 Jul 6, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Archaeological Finds in Sinai....see link
https://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/e...
----------
Christians are not defending killing at all. Please take your own advice and
try to see it from another side. People have killed Christians for following
Jesus Christ. Yes, I would think having Christians killed just because they follow Jesus unjust....IF, ONLY following Jesus was the reason for their death.
The Levitical Priesthood traces through the three sons of Levi, through the Sadducees until it went extinct at the death of Christ, when it was replaced with the Priesthood of Christians which endures until the second coming.
The Levitical Priesthood traces through the three sons of Levi whose names are Gershon/Gershom (Gershonites/Gershomites), Kohath (Kohathites) and Merari (Merarites). Note: The Pentateuch spells Levi's firstborn "Gershon", but the book of Chronicles spells him "Gershom". Variations in name spelling are common in the Bible.
A special place for the sons of Aaron: The Tabernacle began at Mt. Sinai in 1446 BC and it was at that time that special duties were given to each of the three lines of priests but only the sons of Aaron could offer animal sacrifices or incense.
Continued source below....
http://www.bible.ca/archeology/archeology-exo...
Do you really know what happens during the worship to pagan gods?
Yes, people have killed Christians for the same reasons Moses killed the calf worshippers. And you are defending those killings, so denying it is really silly.

I have no idea what your post is supposed to be pointing out.

Do you know what *pagan* means? It would cover hundreds of gods and many religions.
If a pagan did something to deserve the death penalty, then argue that, but the Moses story in question is simply about worship that in of itself is harming no one.

If you are going to complain about Christians being killed, maybe you should not defend killing for religious reasons as you have been doing. It makes you seem hypocritical and having double standards.

Nottingham, UK

#133505 Jul 6, 2014
Niome wrote:
I wish lawmakers would give equal time to people of faith. A lot of professional public school teachers and administrators there days are self-professed atheists or agnostics (respectively, people who either do not believe in God or cannot decide whether or not God exists). And many school curriculums reflect their biases against Christianity and Judaism especially.
Why should non-faith folk have a platform to expound on their views without some regulation, too? There is separation of church and state, but that does not mean that educators must be non-faith in outlook and express their personal views to children with impunity, does it?
So if atheists beat up figuratively speaking on teachers every time sacred religious texts are mentioned, or when someone invokes the Golden Rule or the Ten Commandments, how about equal time to complain about atheist and agnostic views being hyped in the classroom?
If religion is to be off-topic, so also should atheism and agnosticism be off-topic.
Who said religion is off-topic?

If you want to learn about religion you can always go to a religious class.

For science you go to science classes.
sun up sun down

Somerset, KY

#133506 Jul 6, 2014
Niome wrote:
Because time is moving faster, and closer to the next coming of Christ, people are getting more sinful just as they did before the flood, it is going to be harder and harder as time goes on to be able to worship Christ and God. It will soon come to the point that we will not be allowed to mention Gods name. Just like Christ and his followers were slaughtered 2,000 yrs ago.

Nottingham, UK

#133507 Jul 6, 2014
sun up sun down wrote:
You cannot just take one verse and hang your salvation on one verse.
You mean like this?
a christian wrote:
As Jesus said in Mark 16;16, He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. He that believeth not shall be damned. Meaning you will be lost.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#133508 Jul 6, 2014
Niome wrote:
I do not think this even happens. I have little doubt many preachers claim it happens, but they have an agenda and lie for said agenda.
I am sure if a public school teacher ranted about religion, he or she would be reprimanded or worse.
I agree with you in principle though, teachers should stay out of the argument in general.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
failsauce 16 min Needle eye 2
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 18 min been there 17
Who will win for Knox County Jailer 2014 20 min Yah 11
Richard hicks dating a inmate abuser 30 min Lover 1
Illegal coon hunting going Davis bend road 32 min Hick 12
Indictments 45 min John 10
Journey threw hell 57 min Diana 1
who will you vote for as jailer 4 hr Unsatisfied voter 64
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. 4 hr Curiouswonderer 4
Ask your candidate to join us this time it is a... 7 hr Voter 15