Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148102 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#133805 Jul 9, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
And where did the egg come from and how did it come into existence?
How was this first egg hatched?
Did the egg design itself,did someone or something else design it?
Was it designed by accidental or random means? How came it by all this information so that it could replicate itself?
There is no way to be sure but we have found fossils of what could be classified as eggs back to before the Cambrian epoch... but don't know which one of the tiny microscopic critters produced them .... but the earliest Shelled eggs were from Amniotes and date to the early Triassic a 100 million years before dino's first showed up...

You seem to think something is one thing today and tomorrow it's something else... It's a slow process punctuate by Fast adaptation after a catastrophic event changes the environment... Humans acted as a Catastrophic Event with Dogs, Cats and Birds... And is why we have a Chicken in such a short time as 20 to 30 thousand years...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#133806 Jul 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree
So you actually had to chose to be straight?
Can you tell us how this decision came about? How long did you have to work out this debate in your mind?

You really believe someone became a homosexual due to a gay pride parade?

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>I do think it is possible for someone to be gay in private, but I do not think in a free society, they should have to do so.

I do not think you "want to be straight", I think you had no conscious decision in the matter. And I do not think your children will either. I do not think people "want to be gay", as I think homosexuals have no conscious decision to make in the matter. I do not think a single human has decided to become homosexual due to a gay pride parade.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133807 Jul 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree
So you really think you keep your marriage private? You did brag about it just the other day. Strange you disagree with everything I just said.
Or are you just to lazy to be specific about anything?
Am I to just guess what you actually disagree with?
Personally, I think your short answers are a cop out, and you are really just running from the debate as usual, so you can keep your head in the sand. You show evidence of it most every time you post.
BTW, I actually agreed with you that the gay pride parades have an agenda. Are you now changing your position?
Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>Yes, the gay pride parades do likely have an agenda. They may very well hope you will one day see it as normal in some respects. Maybe because they would like to be able to marry, and not keep their lives in a closet. It is not a healthy way to live. Even you claimed sex outside of marriage is problematic, so keeping gay marriage banned is problematic. You have yet to address that point I keep making.

Fact is, I seriously doubt you keep your marriage or relationship private. In fact, you bragged about it just the other day.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133808 Jul 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't think a straight parade would be normal either. But to keep on topic, I disagree with you.
No one has to march for white rights either.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133809 Jul 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't see the decline of this country, you are denying reality. And yes, it has a lot to do with desensitizing the public. Our music, our TV shows, movies, even news stations, magazines, tabloids, video games, drugs, etc etc have all played a factor in what is now acceptable in our society and have aided the decline of morals, decency, and good consciences. Crime will continue to increase and become more brutal. The list goes on.
You may think everything is headed in a different direction. Please tell me I am wrong
Not that this has a thing to do with the post you responded to, but I do think you are wrong. I can show stats that show crime is down and the sort. Maybe your pessimism about humanity is poor. I understand the preachers love selling that doom and gloom, and people like yourself lap it up.
Things change, but not all for the bad. I think many persons now understand our conscience, and I do not think you are one of them. As you sit here defending murder, I cannot say your conscience is your guide at all. Your guide is your religious leaders and its dogma.
I will take a video game addict who smoke pot any day over someone who defends mass murderers and keeps millions from being able to marry.

Now care to say something about the post you responded to instead of diverting?

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>Why not just shelter your children in a commune like the FLDS sect does? Why live in a free society if you feel it may harm your children?
You have a choice. Either deal with the things that come with freedom, or move to a society that does not allow freedoms. Iran for example is in line with your fears here. Yes, the average American realizes that freedom is much more healthy for a child's physical, mental and spiritual health, but you clearly do not.

Let me ask, if your children see gay marriage as normal, what exactly do you think it will adversely do to their minds? Are you fearing they will marry same sex partners?
Do you lack trust of your religion and beliefs so much that a law allowing others that do not agree with you to have freedoms is going to crumble your children's spirituality?
I mean if you are going to complain about gay marriage sending a message of normality, then you must show what is so adverse about that?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133810 Jul 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't see the decline of this country, you are denying reality. And yes, it has a lot to do with desensitizing the public. Our music, our TV shows, movies, even news stations, magazines, tabloids, video games, drugs, etc etc have all played a factor in what is now acceptable in our society and have aided the decline of morals, decency, and good consciences. Crime will continue to increase and become more brutal. The list goes on.
You may think everything is headed in a different direction. Please tell me I am wrong
Crime rates are down. Try using evidence instead of blind faith for a change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_Uni...
Crime in the United States has been present since colonization. Crime rates have varied over time, with a sharp rise after World War II, before peaking between the 1970s and early 1990s. Since the early 1990s, crime has declined in the United States,[1] and current crime rates are approximately the same as those of the 1960s.[2]

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133811 Jul 9, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt that you have 1 single brain cell that is functioning properly.
Try American Atheists org.. Could it be that Your mind is still thinking about the days when you
had wine for breakfast,lunch , dinner and at your bar mitzvah....And you are not even Jewish
You twerp LOL
The fruits of atheism, in liquid form alcohol
A human cannot survive with no brain cells.
Does your bible say otherwise, as it seems you guys do not know this.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133812 Jul 9, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This article is horrendous. It reads like something a high school freshman wrote.
<quoted text>
False. Historically, marriage has often been polygamous, with men having multiple wives who represent pieces of property. Mistresses and other lovers have also been acceptable in many societies.
<quoted text>
False. Marriage was redefined for many states 50 years ago when interracial marriage bans were discarded. Was society dramatically affected? No. Marriage was redefined 10 years ago in Massachusetts to allow gay couples. Was society dramatically affected? No.
<quoted text>
These changes are not related to gay marriage. They are anti-discrimination laws.
<quoted text>
Again, this relates to anti-discrimination laws, not gay marriage.
Furthermore, it can be applied to ANY anti-discrimination laws.
"African Americans can sue people who are exercising their religious beliefs. For example, a heterosexual married couple with children who do not want to rent a room in their own family household to African Americans could be sued for discrimination based on 'race'."
I wish to correct one think you claimed. If the room is in ones house they live in, they can discriminate. Now if it is a separate apartment or house, they cannot.
So it stands to reason one would not have to take a homosexual roommate due to discrimination laws.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#133813 Jul 10, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea what you believe. I am not even sure if you know the meaning of "religious".
Why not just tell us what you believe so we can have a perspective of where you are coming from?
Like what do you believe happened to the trees that caused them to fossilize? You refused to state it. Seems you are hiding something.
I believe In the message of Christ, Just not organized religion, which is a lie.
Jesus is a personal thing to everyone, with or w/out belief.
The "religious" follow and worship the church, their concept of God and not their own.
Hiding something?
I stated In a post here that I need not say what I thought caused them trees to fossilize, water receding would have built up the sediment around them and they would not have had time to rot.
I know what you're gonna say, and I don't buy it.
I think man tries to explain it away outta fear..

Matthew 10 : 28
Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul,
but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body..

There are many many unanswered questions about life and meaning, and I simply don't rule anything out.
I think a lot like justice..

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#133814 Jul 10, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> There is nothing religious about me..
I am a fan of science and think it's a great educational tool, but I don't think it has all the answers, and where pieces don't fit, well they simply whittle it down until it does.
I do NOT get on here or any site and force what I believe on anyone.
I don't tell anyone they're going to Hell for lack of belief.
I have mine and nothing will change that, whether he is or isn't, Isn't something I'm in a hurry to find out, hahaha!
I merely state my opinion and some on here I like hearing their's..
Even yours!
1+1+1=3 (three) is not an opinion whittled down to make the pieces fit, but 1+1+1= 1 (trinity) is. I have not heard of a standing petrified forest that was created by slow sediment accumulation. If you would please specify which one was we can carry on an informed discussion - unless you are one who thinks that religious faith is equal to fact and scientific data is equal to "believing in."

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#133815 Jul 10, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I believe In the message of Christ, Just not organized religion, which is a lie.
Jesus is a personal thing to everyone, with or w/out belief.
The "religious" follow and worship the church, their concept of God and not their own.
Hiding something?
I stated In a post here that I need not say what I thought caused them trees to fossilize, water receding would have built up the sediment around them and they would not have had time to rot.
I know what you're gonna say, and I don't buy it.
I think man tries to explain it away outta fear..
Matthew 10 : 28
Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul,
but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body..
There are many many unanswered questions about life and meaning, and I simply don't rule anything out.
I think a lot like justice..
The Bible was written by an organized church, so your logic became flawed nearly 2,000 years ago. As nearly as I can tell, no one else "has faith in" your idea of how petrified forests are formed, either... well, Answers in Genesis, the Institute for Creation Research and the Discovery Institute probably do, but they're complete nutjobs.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#133816 Jul 10, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus gave us more than just those 2 commandments
Matthew
22:36 Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law?
22:37 Jesus said to him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with
all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
22:39 And the second [is] like it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor
as thyself.
22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the
prophets.

Notice... He didn't say NOTHING about worshiping Joseph Smith!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#133817 Jul 10, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Thank God the majority of this country actually has a brain in their head."
Actually easily demonstrated...
I was referring to the Liberals having a brain...
Go ahead and try... try to defend/demonstrate that!
I'll pack a lunch!
LOL
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#133818 Jul 10, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say no flooding occurred in biblical times? Nope, that is the straw man you wish to argue with, as you cannot argue my actual words.
"None ever occurred as the bible claimed"
You see, the bible did not claim that a flood happened, it claimed a very specific flood, which did not happen. It is scientifically provable it did not happen as claimed. It is a lie.
You see, the devil is in the details. Ignore it in ignorance.
I don't perceive that to mean as what you are stating as to how you perceive it Duquette.

I perceive it differently, and consider the the sources, the times, the cultures of etc.

Ignorance is believing everyone perceives everything the same as oneself, and Abject Ignorance is then resorting to simpleton black and white levels, when such doesn't correspond with what one might perceive for themselves, eh DuhPont?

The devil is just an ugly little trick trojan pony--that the ignorant will continually and repeatedly stumble over...of their own ignorance and stupidity.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#133819 Jul 10, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
You stated "if a country would disappear." Since you are now defining it as an unspecified number of people would cease to exist, you have changed the parameters. Next you'll indicate that instead of "country" disappear you meant "goalpost." Is it not true that your book says that your god erased every nation and living person on the planet except for 8 individuals in an attempt to eradicate the "diseases" of sin and wickedness? How did that work out? What if it is a country of 100,000 of the devout but 200,000 heathens will die of that certain disease - or visa versa? I don't expect much of you one way or the other, but do you think that Jesus would have approved of your using dead babies just to save face?
Please check the very first time I asked the question...thank you.

What? Sorry...the remainder of what your saying here is not making much sense, could be because I'm passing by fast? Just stopped by to post regarding another subject. I will definitely revisit this comment.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#133820 Jul 10, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I was referring to the Liberals having a brain...
Go ahead and try... try to defend/demonstrate that!
I'll pack a lunch!
LOL
Ok... yes, MOST people do have Grey matter that we call brains!
In reference to the first post, it was claimed by 'do tell', that Liberals had a brain
in their heads

" Im not a fan of the current potus either, but he's a damn sight better than the last one. Thank God the majority of this country actually has a brain in their head"

My response is... If you voted for, or think Obama is/was better than Bush...
Your brain.... your brain is on vacation... MIA!

Obama has only said what he needed to say to get elected...
If you believe otherwise.... you might want to go to the nearest lost n found,
because your brain is MIA!

I for one miss America.... if you see her, tell her we NEED her back!

Location hidden

#133821 Jul 10, 2014
There are no contradictions in the Bible. This is a general response regarding the perceived contradictions of the Bible. If a portion of ANYTHING is taken in part, taken out of context and the whole of the content or whole of the account is ignored, the person will end in error.

There was a discussion held with someone about the subject of the rapture. The main part of the verse I could recall but in the newer Bible this person used, we could not find it anywhere. After discussing; parting and researching, we met again. This alerted us first-hand to the serious effect changing the Bibles for copyright purposes is having in our time.(Maybe accounts a lot for the apostasy that is to occur—the name of Jesus (the life and the power) is being changed, omitted and deleted from many of the newer Bibles . When one needs help and seek to find God in these tampered with Bibles, the person will find something different. They may get frustrated and give up, thinking God is just not for them or doesn’t love them when they actually never met God in the very first place. We found the Bible verse in an older Bible but an important word was omitted in the newer Bible. This is a very real danger on many levels. Studying the Bible is like a scientist who has studied a scientific book and has followed through with many of the experiments. If now someone misquotes from that book, he can recognize it. If someone performs an experiment live and that person forgets a portion, the scientist who studied the book will be able to recognize and correct the one who forgot the portion.

Further, it is like seeing a word we have learned but have not seen for some time. When one first sees the word, right away it will be recognized that something is not right about the word, though what exactly may not be placed immediately. Looking further, it becomes clear what is wrong with the word. It is the same with the Bible. When scripture or verses are misquoted, immediately something inside in unsettled and will not agree with what was stated. Depending on how much one has studied, the correct verse will be brought to memory or one may need to research to find the correction.

continued>>>
SNYB

Somerset, KY

#133822 Jul 10, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You say all this to a person who does not believe in plate techtonics.
I want to point out one quote you cited.
--So Einstein once wrote to explain his personal creed: "A religious person is devout in the sense that he has no doubt of the significance of those super-personal objects and goals which neither require nor are capable of rational foundation."
I do not think this is Einstein's creed, but it may be what he thought about religious persons. Now I wonder if he said it as if it was good or bad, as the quote does not indicate. I do not always see it as healthy to not use rational foundations for what one thinks is significant. Sometimes the ignorance is harmless, other times it is not.
I like to point out that Einstein made many of these quotes in a day when much information we know today was not known. He died in 1955 and many of these quotes were earlier than that. Not that you ever seem to consider any relevant information. I think Einstein was ahead of his time rejecting religion. Atheism was very much still in the closet. Yet I could show many quotes very damning of the dogma the Christians here adhere to by Einstein.
Not that I would think for a second you would have an open discussion on the matter.
I don't think Einstien was any sort of lump and labelduhm all the same "atheist"....and I don't think he "rejected" religion as a whole..as it seems rather obvious he intellectually RESPECTED the RIGHTS of others and their beliefs, that were NOT harmful to others at least.

Did you read and look for the deeper meaning Duquette? Let's take it sentence by sentence--Eistiens words in quotes.

His realism and his optimism are illuminated by his remark:

"Subtle is the Lord, but malicious He is not"

When asked by a colleague what he meant by that, he replied:

"Nature hides her secret because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."

It is not that complicated to SEE for ones self, when one READS for ones self Duqeutte, N'est pas?

Location hidden

#133823 Jul 10, 2014
continuation<<<<

Below is an example of scripture from two different Bible translations. It appears to be an account contradiction but is not.

It only took the faith of a mustard seed to drive out demons from a little boy and of course the disciples had this because they had been casting out evil spirit all this time. But in this case, the disciples could not cast the evil spirit from the boy. What they saw (their physical senses) brought in unbelief. Unbelief negates and cancels a request and can make one double-minded. If one is in unbelief, one is not in faith. It was the unbelief that prevented them from casting the evil spirits from the little boy, NOT faith. When the disciples asked Jesus why they could not cast the evil spirits from the boy, Jesus it was their unbelief and this kind of unbelief comes out only by prayer and fasting.

In the NIV, it says ‘faith’ while in the KJV it reads ‘unbelief’.

There is a huge difference.

Matthew 17:14-21(KJV)
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Matthew 17:18-20 (NIV)
Jesus Heals a Demon-Possessed Boy(A)
18 Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment.
19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked,“Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
20 He replied,“Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith(C) as small as a mustard seed,(D) you can say to this mountain,‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.(E) Nothing will be impossible for you.”[21][a]
SNYB

Somerset, KY

#133824 Jul 10, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ever read what Curious has to say about people who try to be honest and say "I do not know"?
Funny I must ask, as he says it almost daily, and you say nothing about it.
The silence is telling.
I RESPECT Other peoples rights to believe in what they may, so long as such is NOT Harmful to OTHERS Duquette.

Do you have issue with that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pam Bargo 28 min Mad Granny 1
Marguret with blue/ black hair 4 hr Just woundering 6
Next board member? 6 hr Juanita 14
Big Yard Sale Thompson Park 6 hr Wannabe 2
Board Meeting 6 hr Barb 51
Walmart 8 hr Lol 8
what about denny mills in california hollr 9 hr fuckitall 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages