Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
127,161 - 127,180 of 128,587 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jun 29

Judged:

Once upon a time there was nothing, and then there was everything. Now here we are on Topix arguing about how it happened.

I wonder if this topic will cause Topix to break. This one topic has received 133,143 replies as of this one, and is 6,359 pages long. How much Jesus can the Topix servers take, I wonder,:P

Can't we all just get along and stop treating ancient fairy tales like they are historical fact? It hasn't gotten us anywhere in 6,359 pages. Some people like the comfort of the myth, and that's fine as long as they don't try to force it on others through legislation. You can worship the moon for all I care, just don't start writing letters to the publicly funded schools demanding your child be allowed to miss class-time so they can go pray to Luna, and don't demand that I alter my lifestyle habits because you don't like them. If we could all follow those rules, I think the world might be OK even with religion in it. The problem is, religious people are under orders to spread the word, or die trying in some philosophies, and they're doing a pretty good job of it out of a conscious effort to fulfill their own prophecies.

If you reply to something I've said here and I don't answer, I'm not ignoring you, but Topix no longer lets me know that this topic has new replies for some reason, so I don't always see them until I go looking for them.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
If I told you, " it's chilly outside" ,you'd run out the door with a fork and a spoon .
hahaha! Intelligent AND funny! Are you single?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Situations do not always work out one way or the other , whatever that means. That prayers are" answered only" when results match desires and that is inevitably going to happen sometimes is based on your opinion on the misunderstandin of the facts surrounding those events.Moreover, your faith forces you to male that erroneous conclusion. The timing of those events,how they occured can not be ignored,which is what you do in your conclusion.
Ignore the facts and base your conclusion on your unbelief...... I do not find your conclusions , To use your own words, either realistic or reasonable......
I do not fasten emotionally desirable outcomes to bare facts. Call it a quirk.
Aside from being reunited with your dog in a somewhat coincidentally timely fashion, I don't recall any specifics on other prayers you have had answered (I'm not fishing for any). When the religious pray and look toward God in all things, it is just a matter of course that they will attribute all things to prayer and God. Not remarkable. If you plant a garden of corn and weed out all else, you will eat corn and nothing else.
Situations inevitably work out one way or another. There is no other option. Let's say a tree fell on your house, it was a situation that worked out in a way that you did not want, but you might still thank God that it didn't fall on your bedroom while you were sleeping. Let me repeat: >a tree fell on your house!< If the insurance also happens to fix the rotted boards under the eaves, it isn't divine providence. You might not find my disbelief of metaphysical intervention with the mundane to be realistic or reasonable, but as there is no evidence I find to be credible that there >are any< metaphysical powers - much less those officially described by the Councils of Constantine... well, as YaA is fond of saying "whatever you want to believe."

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG...Art Linkletter.
Figures..you'd STOOP to the low level Hollywierd and whineduhm of it.
You may resume gumming your melba in peace now...toad.
So I was right - that post was just the prelude to a personal attack. And you wonder why you might generally be considered an ignorant and abusive hypocritical troll with a penchant for off topic baby babble? Might I remind that YOU are the one who brought up "Kids Say the Darnedest Things"?
I have never heard anyone dis Art Linkletter or lump him into the "low level Hollyweird" crowd before. Your parents must be so proud of your accomplishment. I suppose you feel the same way about Bill Cosby?
SNYB

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
If I told you, " it's chilly outside" ,you'd run out the door with a fork and a spoon .
WRONG AGAIN..and ignorant as usual ...obammer jackboot velveteenage poster licker Loser.
SNYB

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So I was right - that post was just the prelude to a personal attack. And you wonder why you might generally be considered an ignorant and abusive hypocritical troll with a penchant for off topic baby babble? Might I remind that YOU are the one who brought up "Kids Say the Darnedest Things"?
I have never heard anyone dis Art Linkletter or lump him into the "low level Hollyweird" crowd before. Your parents must be so proud of your accomplishment. I suppose you feel the same way about Bill Cosby?
Thought I'd humor your one brain cell a little...so you could get your holier/smarter than thou cheap thrill(s) for the day on...even though such confuses you.

Let's see...how to simplify down to a level you might comprehend...

Art Linkletter..Bill Cosby..never knew either one personally, so...wouldn't pass any sort of major judgement..except on an "entertainment" ratings scale.

Both were/are pleasant enough to watch..as far as no brain thought required, commercially piped entertainment goes.

But then, I am NOT one that places any amount of priority in anything such as that, as having much of anything "constructive" to offer as far as any sort of REAL world (ie: NON hollywierd and whineDuhm worlduh of make believe)stuff, having found that such often Twists and distorts the same afore mentioned real world...amongst the peabrained and bobbleheaded.
As in..knowing BETTER (than that make believe duhmazz chit.)

Simple enough?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought I'd humor your one brain cell a little...so you could get your holier/smarter than thou cheap thrill(s) for the day on...even though such confuses you.
Let's see...how to simplify down to a level you might comprehend...
Art Linkletter..Bill Cosby..never knew either one personally, so...wouldn't pass any sort of major judgement..except on an "entertainment" ratings scale.
Both were/are pleasant enough to watch..as far as no brain thought required, commercially piped entertainment goes.
But then, I am NOT one that places any amount of priority in anything such as that, as having much of anything "constructive" to offer as far as any sort of REAL world (ie: NON hollywierd and whineDuhm worlduh of make believe)stuff, having found that such often Twists and distorts the same afore mentioned real world...amongst the peabrained and bobbleheaded.
As in..knowing BETTER (than that make believe duhmazz chit.)
Simple enough?
Tsk, tsk. Your tantrums are blase, child.
You referred to Art Linkletter as "low level Hollywierd and whineduhm", so you directly passed judgement on one you admit you do not know then proceed to condemn the bodies of his and Cosby's works as "no brain thought required, commercially piped entertainment." Reality again proves you wrong.
Your post had nothing to do with humor or provoking thought. It was - as the above is also, purely your typical insipid spiteful and malicious gibberish with no relevance to much of anything.
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your best post ever..
The Vagina Monologue by Curious
Print it,frame it and store it in a secure place, Some day it may be classified as a valuable historical document......
However,donot do the same with Pre K's postings on his beliefs on morality, Those will be stored in the National Hall of Shame..........
BTW Pusherman has been arrested for trolling for minors on the internet,
Did you drop a dime on Him? LOL

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG AGAIN..and ignorant as usual ...obammer jackboot velveteenage poster licker Loser.
I am not defending justice as she needs none, she does that very well on her own.

She does make good crow tho, doesn't she?

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Print it,frame it and store it in a secure place, Some day it may be classified as a valuable historical document......
However,donot do the same with Pre K's postings on his beliefs on morality, Those will be stored in the National Hall of Shame..........
Hey you fkn loser, don't be posting your jealous BS lies!!

tell us where and let us see for ourselves, or go play In traffic fool!!

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty serious allegation, curious. If I were Pusherman I'd be filing a report. All kidding aside you might want to consider a retraction.
REbecca Flatchested

Lynn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

The one who farts in the Church
is sitting in its own pew. Amen.
Bible study

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

Building Truth Into Your Life
Sunday, June 29, 2014
Dr.Charles Stanley

Truthfulness is an essential character quality for believers. When it's lacking, both individuals and nations begin to crumble internally. In this sermon, Dr. Stanley explains how we can tell if we’re an honest person, the benefits of building truth in our lives, what happens when we fail to do so, and how we can integrate truth into our lives more.

http://www.google.com/url...
Bible study

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

Matthew 6:9-13
King James Version (KJV)
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Chroe, We are not on the same page. I unserstand your point regarding innocents being sentenced on eyewitnesses accounts,Bigfoot and ufo's.
That is not the type of personal experience to which I am refferring.
. I am referring to answered prayers. I am reffering to situations wher you are confronted with a problem for which one has tried to resolve and in spite of all one's efforts to resolve that problem no solution has been found. Only when one addresses that problem to Christ and God,within one day a solution arrives in an unexpected manner over which one had no control.
I am talking about solutions to probems, not misidentifying a perticular eventInsofar as your opinion on what it means to have your yoke lightened, your opinion is completely of base.
let me ask you this.. When Jesus said" Come to me those who are hevily kadenand I will give you rest ,for I am humble in spirit and my yoke is light.
How do you interpret that? As I understand what you wrote , I merely transferre my emotional burden to Jesus.... That is the wrong interpretation because that is not what I meant....
I am not talking emotions I am talking about situations that I was confronting and for which I could not find a solution and for which a solution was provided over which I had no control.
I also understand that for those who do not believe in God,they must attempt to find a natural explanation , only thing is those explanations do not fit the circumstances surrounding those events......
I
You sound as if you do not look for natural reasons events happen. You seem to go straight for the supernatural solution.
I see natural reasons your dog ad was answered. I think a human had a choice in answering the ad. It was not beyond our control.
We questioned you on this event, and you avoided the debate. It shows you refuse to look for natural answers. You obviously wish for the supernatural, thus you attribute events to the supernatural.

Humans naturally forget many of the negatives and remember the positives. It is statistically measurable. About 70% of the time either way. So all the times you prayed and got no result, you simply forget. So when you do get some result, you feel it is more than coincidence. But if you remembered all the actual results, you would see it is statistically possible it is simply a coincidence.

Just because something happens that seems unusual, does not make it a miracle. Again you simply insert god into a gap.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one in possession of those "double standards", pitch fork and stone thrower Duquette. That's all you do, repeatedly, to anyone that disagrees with the way YOUR opinion.
It's obvious from your projections.
We ALL have opinions Duquette, and never will everyone be of the same sort...or like the same things etc.
You're not seeming to grasp that FACT.
And ONLY since you asked (because I for one, do not believe anyone should offer anyone else any unwarrented or unasked for "advise" either)..do you need a helpful starting point?
1. Don't project your own self loathing, onto others. Improve it, change or modify what ever it is that bothers you, but work on it in your Self. Doing so will help you to keep your UGLIness and your mere assumptions and judgementalness to your self, and your projections off others!
Might I suggest a title of a good manuscript that I read YEARS ago--
"Nasty people, and how NOT to become one of them".
A very insightful, even if of a smaller and limited, read.
Because we, the non-hate filled, non-nasty to others, are NOT yours, or anyone else's, whipping anything.
So, now after asking nicely, then approaching same nasty behavior with some light hearted humor, and then having to address you on a more serious level, now I will ask you Again, to either please refrain from and restrain your deviant tactics of harassment and nastiness, or you will just be ignored...here anyway...as any rational person would realize they cannot and should not ever think they could speak for anyone else.
Because that is truly how sane and decent people in a civilized culture live..they do not stalk and harrass others, like rabid predator animals.
You seem to hate it when atheists express disagreement with Christians, and you express that with nastiness at a high level. Your silence is deafening when the Christians express their disagreements.

Yes, I express disagreements. Now what does that contradict? How is that a double standard? Do you even know what a double standard is? You showed a few here.
You claimed you are not nasty? What a joke, as you post more nasty posts than any other poster here. Why are believers so self righteous?

I think it is good to give advice. Some of it may be unsolicited, but I think that is ok in some circumstances. If you disagree, that is understandable, as humans do not all think alike, as you said. But for some reason you feel your position is the only one that is sane. Again another double standard.
You see, I actually point out the double standard, you simply make the charge and throw stones.

I think you need to read that book again, as it did not take to well.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one in possession of those "double standards", pitch fork and stone thrower Duquette. That's all you do, repeatedly, to anyone that disagrees with the way YOUR opinion.
It's obvious from your projections.
We ALL have opinions Duquette, and never will everyone be of the same sort...or like the same things etc.
You're not seeming to grasp that FACT.
And ONLY since you asked (because I for one, do not believe anyone should offer anyone else any unwarrented or unasked for "advise" either)..do you need a helpful starting point?
1. Don't project your own self loathing, onto others. Improve it, change or modify what ever it is that bothers you, but work on it in your Self. Doing so will help you to keep your UGLIness and your mere assumptions and judgementalness to your self, and your projections off others!
Might I suggest a title of a good manuscript that I read YEARS ago--
"Nasty people, and how NOT to become one of them".
A very insightful, even if of a smaller and limited, read.
Because we, the non-hate filled, non-nasty to others, are NOT yours, or anyone else's, whipping anything.
So, now after asking nicely, then approaching same nasty behavior with some light hearted humor, and then having to address you on a more serious level, now I will ask you Again, to either please refrain from and restrain your deviant tactics of harassment and nastiness, or you will just be ignored...here anyway...as any rational person would realize they cannot and should not ever think they could speak for anyone else.
Because that is truly how sane and decent people in a civilized culture live..they do not stalk and harrass others, like rabid predator animals.
Oh, and thanks for not using baby talk and actually being coherent for a change. And the lack of nastiness is repressing. It makes you seem a bit less hate filled.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Refreshing, not repressing.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

chinwendu1 wrote:
Those of you, who profess to be Atheist, I would like to ask what is your real issue with God? It is not His existence because God says deep down we all know He exist. Is it because He gave the 10 commandments to help keep mankind alive? Is doing any of the 10 that God says not to do good or fun in any way, shape, form or fashion?
1. Have no other gods before me.
Having other gods opens doors to the person’s life to evil attacks
2. Make no graven images of any kind, then bow down and serve it.
Same as above…even through dreams. Ex: Ouija boards, occult games, etc. There are evil spirits with intent only to steal, kill and destroy attached or behind many images.
3. Do not take the Lord’s name in vain
Who would like their name to be used as a curse word?
4. Keep the Sabbath day
Rest is important to good health…physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually
5. Honor your father and your mother
Parents protect their children, when the children are trained in the right way
6. Do not kill
Not just physically…
7. Do not commit adultery
There is only to be husband and wife in the marriage bed…
8. Do not steal
Not just physically…
9. Do not bear false witness
We give an account for every word we speak...
10. Do not desire thy neighbor’s wife or covet any of thy neighbor’s goods
This could very well be a reason why most of the crimes in ours and other countries take place.
What is bad in commanding against such acts that leads to acts that hurt the one in the act, their family and others, in more ways than can be seen?
Who on the front lines of a physical war will survive a war without any weapons? No one!
It is the same in a spiritual war and many parents have not equipped their children with any weapons necessary for this time.
See what is happening in our country…our youth, the ones who are suppose to protect them, in too many cases are the ones taking their lives. Teenagers are killing innocent people and then themselves. Pre-teens are wounding and killing people too. There is a grave and serious problem here and many parents that have, were not suppose to drop their end, leaving their homes open to the enemy’s attacks. Please ask God of your own, as he sends help in many different ways.
Jesus has not once struck anyone with all the bad things that the enemy has tricked many parents into believing he has. Parents not doing what they should, and not living as they should has given the enemy more access to the youth of America. We rebuke you satan in Jesus name, and we spoil, cancel and destroy your assignments and plans regarding any person on this forum and their family in Jesus name. We pray extra protection surround the children, teens and youth everywhere they go and as they sleep through the night in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
So according to your second sentence, atheists do not exist?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Monday Jun 30

Judged:

Bible study wrote:
Matthew 6:9-13
King James Version (KJV)
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min Jay 146,183
Stivers Center fixes 44 min City Slicker 26
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr i know 81,568
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr i know 1,013
Maggie Mills is on meth really bad she has sore... 1 hr Georgie 10
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Hero 26,183
Maryann Smith and Thomas (Oct '12) 2 hr Resisedent 45
•••
•••