Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148177 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#133417 Jul 4, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
<quoted text>
This is so well stated! Spot on!
I will be using this argument on the street corner discussions I have with fundie Christians every Friday afternoon.
Thanks. All of this stuff just boils down to an understanding of burden of proof and how to think critically. When someone claims something amazing they have a burden of proof. You are not obligated to lend them your belief until they meet their burden.

But they want to flip that around and make the ridiculous claim that we should assume their beliefs are true until someone proves otherwise.

That's not how reality works.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#133418 Jul 4, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Not ignoring it, I just disagree with your stance and you already know why. Must we keep having the exact same discussion? You think I'm brainwashed and never challenge anything from leaders. I've demonstrated that this isn't the case, yet you keep saying it and accusing me of such. I will admit it gets old and makes me click the "next" arrow.
Again, we have yet to discuss this specific point on the subject.
Just as you do not stand up for the freedom for homosexuals to marry, your silence here is telling of how you refuse to question your leaders.
Yes, I do think you are brainwashed, and the fact you just accept certain men that claimed god does not approve of homosexuality, or gay marriage is my evidence. You have not said the first word to defend the idea of keeping homosexuals from marrying, other than it is what your leaders told you to do.
Maybe if you could tell me how it would affect you, and problems you feel it would have on society, you would seem less like a brainwashed person blindly following your leaders commands.

And sorry, I do not recall you ever questioning your leaders. Can you refresh my memory?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133419 Jul 4, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It was more important that the church thrive than to continue this practice. We don't know why it was stopped in Biblical times.
He moves His plan along. Same reasoning behind the lesser laws of the OT becoming null when the higher laws were brought back with Christ.
So you really are not against the polygamy of the FLDS, you just go with the sect that puts priority on thriving? Or maybe you just believed certain leaders of your group without question.

I really want to know what you have ever questioned of your church leaders?

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#133421 Jul 4, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't about proving something wrong, its about evaluating evidence. I have no way to prove that gremlins don't come into my house at night and do battle with imps. But why would I choose to believe they do?
You believe something when the evidence is in favor of it. In this case the evidence is not in favor of an Exodus event therefore there is no reason to believe it really happened.
What is "study minded"? If you mean scientific then you need to brush up on your history. The Piltdown Man hoax was figured out by science. Science is self-correcting over time precisely because it is based on critical examination of evidence.
Do you believe in the Exodus because of evidence or because of faith? If evidence, then why do you ignore the stronger evidence against it? If faith, why make arguments about evidence?
To be honest, I don't know either way or the other.
I do not believe there were that many many people involved in the Exodus.
There is an Egyptian stone tablet that mention the Israelites have been laid waste, their seed ( land) is no more.
that alone Implies something went down, what? who the Hell knows.
Then the temple other guy mentioned does have them peoples Exodus on the walls ( hyksos) early Isrealites but again, who knows.
you do not know any more than anyone else, neither do they, cause if they did, they would not still be looking, but ultimately the Bible has to be taken on faith.
There is so many unanswered questions about our past that we'll never know, and the ones that do would probably never be truthful about it.
English teacher

Morehead, KY

#133422 Jul 4, 2014
Try teaching allusion to a bunch of sophomores who lack cultural, historical, and literary literacy. Teaching the Bible will alleviate some of all these three types of ignorance. So far, they can understand mostly pop culture allusions.
Mr Tibbs

Flat Lick, KY

#133423 Jul 4, 2014
English teacher wrote:
Try teaching allusion to a bunch of sophomores who lack cultural, historical, and literary literacy. Teaching the Bible will alleviate some of all these three types of ignorance. So far, they can understand mostly pop culture allusions.
So will teaching Shakespeare. His plays are full of allusions from the Bible as well as from the Greeks and Romans.
Reader

Brodhead, KY

#133424 Jul 4, 2014
English teacher wrote:
Teaching the Bible what?

For sophomores to have some actual insights into world cultures and history, withe prerequisites of first being literate enough to comprehend some of the same, might help alleviate some of the ignorance, mired by the allusions of today's shallow water pop culture.
LMS

Trinity, TX

#133425 Jul 5, 2014
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching the Bible what?
For sophomores to have some actual insights into world cultures and history, withe prerequisites of first being literate enough to comprehend some of the same, might help alleviate some of the ignorance, mired by the allusions of today's shallow water pop culture.
Yes Tester.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#133426 Jul 5, 2014
English teacher wrote:
I think teaching Religion In schools should be an option for those wanting to further their studies In the subject, it should be available to them..
Just not as an elective subject..

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133427 Jul 5, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I think teaching Religion In schools should be an option for those wanting to further their studies In the subject, it should be available to them..
Elective means it is up for option.
I personally feel specific religions should be left for higher education schools. Maybe a comparative religion class could be good in high school. But it sure is not fair to have one religion and not others available. It makes government guilty of respecting the establishment of one religion over the other.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133428 Jul 5, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> To be honest, I don't know either way or the other.
I do not believe there were that many many people involved in the Exodus.
There is an Egyptian stone tablet that mention the Israelites have been laid waste, their seed ( land) is no more.
that alone Implies something went down, what? who the Hell knows.
Then the temple other guy mentioned does have them peoples Exodus on the walls ( hyksos) early Isrealites but again, who knows.
you do not know any more than anyone else, neither do they, cause if they did, they would not still be looking, but ultimately the Bible has to be taken on faith.
There is so many unanswered questions about our past that we'll never know, and the ones that do would probably never be truthful about it.
I don't think they were called Israelites before the supposed exodus, they were called Hebrews.
And the supposed tablet you mention would be a contradiction of the bible story, not a confirmation of it, in its claim of laying waste of their land and seed.
BTW, I say *supposed tablet* because you did not show any tablet for us to examine.

If you ever watch Ancient Aliens on the history channel, then watch Debunking Ancient Aliens on YouTube, you will see how they often lie to promote an agenda. Most viewers have no idea if it is a lie, and many are gullible to believe a show on the history channel would not lie so blatantly. Yet they do.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133429 Jul 5, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not challenge God. I believe in His holy purpose for sex and choose to do it under His guidelines. And I have a fantastic marriage and family because of it. I believe His guidelines include that it should be between a man and a woman. But I am not assertive in nature and choose to keep my opinions to myself on the topic of gay most of the time. I'm not so naive to think that gay marriage will not affect me or my family though. I do not think drinking alcohol is right either, and have already felt the effects of what comes from others when they drink alcohol. But I still do not condemn other drinkers. That isn't my place to judge them. I wish people didn't drink. And I wish I had my cousins back, but I sit with people as they drink all they time.
Maybe if you could show gay marriage might lead you to have a cousin of yours to die, that would be a fair comparison. Yet you have not shown any adverse effects of gay marriage, much less one comparable to your example.

I think you are na´ve. You simply accept that gay marriage can affect you, and you cannot even show how. I think you automatically accept without question when your leaders claim it will affect you. They have you so brainwashed, they need not even give a single adverse effect of gay marriage for you to accept their claim.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#133430 Jul 5, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I think teaching Religion In schools should be an option for those wanting to further their studies In the subject, it should be available to them..
Would you explain how studies would be optional and simultaneously not an elective subject?
Perhaps you mean there could be the something like the photo or chess clubs, except they'd be the Jesus Club, Mohammed Club, Joseph Smith Club, David Koresh Club et al?

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#133431 Jul 5, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Funny thing... you cannot truly verify anything in science
that says there is no God!
Yet... if you SEEK God...(With TRUE desire) You WILL FIND HIM!
Fact is... You do not want to!
God is REAL, and you have been told!
(YES.... I USED a LOT of CAPS....)
So very true...

Location hidden

#133432 Jul 5, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing in the story indicates it was a discriminating act of "judgement" by the order of YHWH. It was an indiscriminate killing spree by the order of Moses in a tiff. Not that it matters, since huge chunks of the story are clearly fictional.
They were a nation of priests and the beginning of the nation of Israel. It was judgment...please if you haven't, maybe try reading it from the beginning of the account to the end?

Location hidden

#133433 Jul 5, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation ,whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God , in short who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his own body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or rediculous egotisms.
Albert Einstein
"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." Albert Einstein

Source:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/ei...

Location hidden

#133434 Jul 5, 2014
"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." Albert Einstein

Additional source:

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/albert-einstein...
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#133435 Jul 5, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." Albert Einstein
Source:
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/ei...
Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_...

Location hidden

#133436 Jul 5, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Duly noted, since I don't believe the biblical god ever existed outside of imagination. I said that a charismatic "prophet" could convince followers to murder in God's name. Please tell me that hasn't happened... I DARE YOU.
Dare accepted....

Please, I am curious, when have a charismatic prophet, as in the true definition of a charismatic prophet.....

Charismatic: Having great charm or appeal : filled with charisma
Prophet: A person who speaks for God or a deity, or by divine inspiration.(A person chosen to speak for God and to guide the people of Israel: Moses was the greatest of Old Testament prophets.)

Totally different and much more to speak on, there is/was a charismatic movement: Christian religious groups whose members believe they can communicate directly with God to receive help and guidance and the power to heal others.

...in words and actions, convinced followers to murder in God's name?
Dim

ThessalonÝki, Greece

#133437 Jul 5, 2014
There were and are many religions. First: Masdaism( Zoroastrism ), which has gave begin to Judaism, then Christianity, then Islam.
It is not important to make brainwash for people and impose r\such kind of religion or another or led to religious wars, or make irreal dogmas like for instance existance of Adam and Eva, who have probably not existed or Old Testament, who present most of all history of ancient Jews - nation, who does not exist anymore.
It should be explained for people that there is one God, who is good, merciful, who love own creation especially people and all living beings, that there are eternal life and possibility of meeting with God if people live according to God's commandments and are true to them and to God or possibility to go to hell and satan for eternal condemnation, ife people are bad and not respect rules given by God.
And explain what are these God's rules: to be good , to love God and another people and all God's creation, not kill, not steal, be faithful, not lie, not ruin lives of another people, love another people like own person, not abuse drugs, not abuse alcohol, because it destroys brains and morality and led to tragedies, respect and help poor, respect and save natural environment, respect all human lives, respect all God's creation, respect and love God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bus Garage 3 hr too funny 2
Miss you 5 hr MRH 2
Concert ticket 5 hr Your wife 2
Beer sales 6 hr Pegg 1
Hwy 229 motorcycle club 6 hr onethe wire 13
who got shot 9 hr curt 8
houses and apt for rent 13 hr oldschool 2
Bonita Williams BHS board member should RESIGN !!! 14 hr Bill 36
Tracebranch 19 hr From barbourville 17
Board Meeting Thu Marc 66