Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 152034 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#133320 Jul 2, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>It is evident by the writing style used in the BOM that it had but one author, Joseph Smith.
The opening/intro material to the BoM reads exactly like an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel. So 19th century! I love it.

Then the actual meat of it reads like a Bible fanboy's fan works.

Location hidden

#133321 Jul 2, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Situations do not always work out one way or the other , whatever that means. That prayers are" answered only" when results match desires and that is inevitably going to happen sometimes is based on your opinion on the misunderstandin of the facts surrounding those events.Moreover, your faith forces you to male that erroneous conclusion. The timing of those events,how they occured can not be ignored,which is what you do in your conclusion.
Ignore the facts and base your conclusion on your unbelief...... I do not find your conclusions , To use your own words, either realistic or reasonable......
Despite many controlled studies it has never been demonstrated that intercessory prayer has any effect whatsoever. Personal prayer has the same effect as meditation or a number of other methods for relaxing and gaining perspective. Essentially calming down and taking on a more positive attitude simply helps.

There does not appear to be any magic going on.

If I pray 100 times to find a $100 bill and then I find a $100 bill does that prove prayer works? I have found money before, without praying. How do you determine that the prayer for $100 was what lead to the finding of the money? This is an important question if you actually care about what is true. And faith is not a factor in the answer.

Location hidden

#133322 Jul 2, 2014
_Bad Company wrote:
<quoted text> Then you aren't comprehending what it is that I'm saying..debunked by atheist?
I am not trying to prove anything to you, only giving my opinion on things, which are just as correct as yours.
you must have reading comprehension skills, didn't you see where I mentioned the pyramid of Ahmose ( brother of moses ) with the exodus of the hyksos' peoples.
Why would a Pharaoh name his son, Ahmose ( brother of moses ) 200 yrs before the exodus as described in the bible?
You would think it was because He was the brother of moses, not by blood of course, wouldn't you?
Ahmose, google is your friend..
I don't think spiderman was painted on that temple wall, but the exodus of them peoples are, FACT!
If you present your opinion on a debate forum then you have to assume someone will probably take a contrary position. You don't get to name your opinion in a vacuum safe from reply. Also, opinions are not equally correct. One person in any given discussion is going to be less correct than the other.

Do you mean Ahmose I, the Egyptian pharaoh? I think you have been watching WAY too much History Channel. If you are referring to the idea that this pharaoh was named after Moses that is not a well supported idea. The name seems to mean "son of the moon". If you simply Google Ahmose you do not get very many references to Moses. If you put both names in a search you get the silly History Channel movie.

I am not an Egyptologist nor am I a Bible scholar. So I must defer to the consensus opinion of those experts. And they simply do not agree with you on this matter.

Location hidden

#133323 Jul 2, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
That is not what is in question and most assuredly what is being debated.
The meat of the problem, the circumstances surrounding those events , that is what you ,Chroe, Duket and BOX will not address because what the lady did is contrary to the way a person would respond under those circumstances..
It's completely natural to browse the lost and found section of the newspaper.
It's completely natural to call a person about a lost dog when you've seen that dog.

The only thing unnatural about your story is your claim that your ad's description of your dog didn't match your dog, which you've never explained.

You've never explained it because you can't: it's an obvious lie.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#133324 Jul 2, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If you present your opinion on a debate forum then you have to assume someone will probably take a contrary position. You don't get to name your opinion in a vacuum safe from reply. Also, opinions are not equally correct. One person in any given discussion is going to be less correct than the other.
Do you mean Ahmose I, the Egyptian pharaoh? I think you have been watching WAY too much History Channel. If you are referring to the idea that this pharaoh was named after Moses that is not a well supported idea. The name seems to mean "son of the moon". If you simply Google Ahmose you do not get very many references to Moses. If you put both names in a search you get the silly History Channel movie.
I am not an Egyptologist nor am I a Bible scholar. So I must defer to the consensus opinion of those experts. And they simply do not agree with you on this matter.
It still doesn't disqualify it either, it's not so much the name as it is the referencing of them peoples leaving Egypt. Sure, doesn't prove a thing, but doesn't disprove it either.
The volcano that erupted would have for sure covered up any evidence of them peoples leaving, but as other guy said on here, volcanic ash will preserve whatever they left behind, the only problem with that is, where to look for it..
doesn't surprise me that some don't agree, it's probably the same study minded people that agreed piltdown man was " missing link" and we know how that turned out, right!
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133325 Jul 2, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's completely natural to browse the lost and found section of the newspaper.
It's completely natural to call a person about a lost dog when you've seen that dog.
The only thing unnatural about your story is your claim that your ad's description of your dog didn't match your dog, which you've never explained.
You've never explained it because you can't: it's an obvious lie.
More lame excuses from a feeble mind. That was explained way back when.
It is obvious that these events that you claim could all be expalined by natural means have put a strain on your brain....
It needs repeating , you are avoiding that which you are quite unable to explain, your faith has failed you and hung you out to dry, But don't feel bad, you got company known as useless,hopeless and clueless and we know who they are...
LOL
Every time you are asked to validate your faith,you flunk the test,even to the extent of denying it..........

Location hidden

#133326 Jul 2, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
More lame excuses from a feeble mind.
The excuses are yours. You avoided explaining it again.
wwwcurious wrote:
That was explained way back when.
Oh, here we go. Rather than actually explain your lie, you simply claim it was already explained. Another cowardly evasion.
wwwcurious wrote:
It is obvious that these events that you claim could all be expalined by natural means have put a strain on your brain.
No strain necessary. Your lie is so obvious even a blind man could see it.
Kitchemonedo

London, KY

#133327 Jul 2, 2014
honestly wrote:
the problem is it's not about you. it's about the children.
Decent parents should never deaf ear their children.
Ever.
kitchemonedo

London, KY

#133330 Jul 2, 2014
Never.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#133333 Jul 2, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Such unrefined, broad base paintbrush lines of quacky liberal yapping points Duquette.
Should those who prefer same gender marriages for themselves, desire such...there are many places that now address and offer the civil service of such. Of course, such is not with out problems and issues as well...just as any type of thing.
Civil services as should be, because why would any rational persons expect such services from a religious organization that holds different beliefs? Especially if such would be in direct conflict with same beliefs, thus rendering the same as being nothing more than a sham?
Rational people wouldn't, only people that wish to terrorize others WITH their different lifestyle choices, would expect such.
Which would be the same as any one standing outside a civil, secular service, demanding that such not be performed, based upon their beliefs.
The difference between you and I Duquette...is that you attack others, individually and grouped together based upon stereotypes, personally and directly, as if they all were of the same mind.
I take issue with the ignorance of offending behaviors, individually, because I know BETTER.
So, if you're asking me to lump and label any and all those who might refer to themselves as "Christians", or as having some principles in their lives based upon the tenets of...for attacking purposes.... pardon me while I decline a seat on that sinking boat of idiotocracy.
And the same thing as far as "atheists and atheism" goes, I refuse to lump and label those who choose to see things differently, as being "all the same"...especially just for the most ignorant and deplorable reason of just having something to attack, and hate upon.
Count me OUT...of that "loathesome--ignorant, crude, rude and MOST juvenile" dance of the thoughtless and demented, please, as it such is not my "cup of tea" as in NO thank you!
If an individual is against gay marriage, I may well attack, and I feel justified to do so. Most all the Christians on this thread are opposing gay marriage.
They all support the mass murder of calf worshippers. No need to lump the innocent, when all here are guilty by their admittance to these.

When you say "Hollyweird" are you lumping? Seriously, if you are so anti lumping, maybe you should set an example hypocrite. Other wise you are just another typical holier than thou believer. How's that for lumping. Maybe if they did not act so stereotypical, we would not lump them as like minded. Fact is, they are told what to think, so they do often act the same. Ironically they are told not to be self righteous yet they do it anyway as if they were told otherwise. Probably because they were not lead by example.

Oh, and I put " quacky liberal yapping points", in the category of lumping also. So ironic you show hypocrisy of the very complaint you have in the same post.
You would not know a contradiction if your life depended upon it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133334 Jul 2, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact IS-I see right through CONs..And thier -tradictions, daily, Duquette.
And the rest of your nonsense, I already addressed, and gave you MY personal opinion only, of.
Ok, so you feel you have some gift of seeing through cons, so? Who is the con here? Did you have a point to your claim?

You can give your opinion all you wish. I am not so holier than thou, to tell you it is wrong to give an opinion.
SNYB

London, KY

#133335 Jul 2, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If an individual is against gay marriage, I may well attack, and I feel justified to do so. Most all the Christians on this thread are opposing gay marriage.
They all support the mass murder of calf worshippers. No need to lump the innocent, when all here are guilty by their admittance to these.
When you say "Hollyweird" are you lumping? Seriously, if you are so anti lumping, maybe you should set an example hypocrite. Other wise you are just another typical holier than thou believer. How's that for lumping. Maybe if they did not act so stereotypical, we would not lump them as like minded. Fact is, they are told what to think, so they do often act the same. Ironically they are told not to be self righteous yet they do it anyway as if they were told otherwise. Probably because they were not lead by example.
Oh, and I put " quacky liberal yapping points", in the category of lumping also. So ironic you show hypocrisy of the very complaint you have in the same post.
You would not know a contradiction if your life depended upon it.
That's your problem Duquette...you seem to fail to realize that the world and everybody in it, will never be a collective lump of "one eyed see everything the same" species, and expecting anything else, other than the reality of the world is one of vastly different and varying perspectives, is unrealistic.
And unrealistic expectations make people miserable, disgruntled and dysfunctional.

Kind of like how your attacks on people collectively, read.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133336 Jul 2, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
Such unrefined, broad base paintbrush lines of quacky liberal yapping points Duquette.
Should those who prefer same gender marriages for themselves, desire such...there are many places that now address and offer the civil service of such. Of course, such is not with out problems and issues as well...just as any type of thing.
Civil services as should be, because why would any rational persons expect such services from a religious organization that holds different beliefs? Especially if such would be in direct conflict with same beliefs, thus rendering the same as being nothing more than a sham?
Rational people wouldn't, only people that wish to terrorize others WITH their different lifestyle choices, would expect such.
Which would be the same as any one standing outside a civil, secular service, demanding that such not be performed, based upon their beliefs.
The difference between you and I Duquette...is that you attack others, individually and grouped together based upon stereotypes, personally and directly, as if they all were of the same mind.
I take issue with the ignorance of offending behaviors, individually, because I know BETTER.
So, if you're asking me to lump and label any and all those who might refer to themselves as "Christians", or as having some principles in their lives based upon the tenets of...for attacking purposes.... pardon me while I decline a seat on that sinking boat of idiotocracy.
And the same thing as far as "atheists and atheism" goes, I refuse to lump and label those who choose to see things differently, as being "all the same"...especially just for the most ignorant and deplorable reason of just having something to attack, and hate upon.
Count me OUT...of that "loathesome--ignorant, crude, rude and MOST juvenile" dance of the thoughtless and demented, please, as it such is not my "cup of tea" as in NO thank you!
Yes, it is now legal in many states for homosexuals to marry, despite the loud protesting of Christians. BTW, do you feel it harms Christians to allow gay marriage? If not, then why do you not criticize them for speaking out about gay marriage? Seems a giant double standard on your part.
Did I complain about churches performing gay marriages? Nope, that is simply a straw man argument you trotted out due your inability to find what I said as so wrong.

I am not for forcing religion to marry homosexuals. I think the free market will work this out. You see, religion is a business, and as they lose people who pay them ten percent of all their earnings due to unfair practices, I think many churches will find a way to square their dogma to fit the situation. Many are already doing so.
Huh

Lawrenceburg, KY

#133338 Jul 2, 2014
Can we move on.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#133366 Jul 2, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did your lost dog ad not describe your dog?
Well you know how kids are. They are poor at describing things, and poor at understanding the reality of our world.
Many think Santa is putting presents under the tree.
SNYB

Science Hill, KY

#133376 Jul 3, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well you know how kids are. They are poor at describing things, and poor at understanding the reality of our world.
Many think Santa is putting presents under the tree.
Don't start on the eight year old and under crowds now too Duquette, you can be a grinch any of the other 364 days a year.

Geez.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#133377 Jul 3, 2014
Objective Onlooker wrote:
Once upon a time there was nothing, and then there was everything. Now here we are on Topix arguing about how it happened.
I wonder if this topic will cause Topix to break. This one topic has received 133,143 replies as of this one, and is 6,359 pages long. How much Jesus can the Topix servers take, I wonder,:P
Can't we all just get along and stop treating ancient fairy tales like they are historical fact? It hasn't gotten us anywhere in 6,359 pages. Some people like the comfort of the myth, and that's fine as long as they don't try to force it on others through legislation. You can worship the moon for all I care, just don't start writing letters to the publicly funded schools demanding your child be allowed to miss class-time so they can go pray to Luna, and don't demand that I alter my lifestyle habits because you don't like them. If we could all follow those rules, I think the world might be OK even with religion in it. The problem is, religious people are under orders to spread the word, or die trying in some philosophies, and they're doing a pretty good job of it out of a conscious effort to fulfill their own prophecies.
If you reply to something I've said here and I don't answer, I'm not ignoring you, but Topix no longer lets me know that this topic has new replies for some reason, so I don't always see them until I go looking for them.
You just proved we cannot with this statement!
"Can't we all just get along and stop treating ancient fairy tales like they are historical fact?"
You dismiss something you nothing about as fairy tales....
Many of us KNOW God is real... The God of the Bible is real!
He saved me, and at your last breath... you WILL be telling Him how sorry you are
for doubting His existence!
Repent, and SEEK Him.... you will be glad you did!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#133378 Jul 3, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup... A Great Ape is closer to Modern Man in "Kind" than a Wolf is to a Wiener Dog...
God being real... messes your whole theory up!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#133379 Jul 3, 2014
Madalyn Murray Ohair wrote:
127,315 comments about the bible being taught in schools? If anyone can prove that the god of the bible is even real over Odin or Zeus then yeah maybe, we should put in into history classes. Have you people even read the bible cover to cover? I have and it's what made me an atheist.
I've read it several times....
After He saved me, it only makes me Love Him more!
Looking upon the sin in this world... you just have to know something's WRONG!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#133380 Jul 3, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL You are a lyimg troll . You ain't madelyn. She been dead for many years and I am sure that she and Hitchens are now fully aware of what fools they were while they were on this earth.
Getouttatown and stop changing your moniker..........Ya twit..........
Whatta scrumbum..........
True dat!
Imagine their surprise... Lots of back peddling going on!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
house cleaner wanted 5 hr swampfoot 11
Grand Jury indicts Dexter Smith for perjury 5 hr swampfoot 33
Higher Property Taxes 6 hr Help us all 24
Dustin Gray 7 hr looking 2
women 7 hr hot girl 6
Breeze 7 hr girl 4
outlaws 8 hr well 21
Education 9 hr Girls 23

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web