Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 170074 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#132999 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So there are no gaps in scientific knowledge? There is.
How about medical knowledge? Lots.
Does historical knowledge apply? Yes.
And more...yet people so put their faith in science.
The Bible is the best selling book of all time...that's news.
Statistically it is not possible for our planet to just materialize, oops, evolve in the specific spot that the inhabitants need as not to freeze or burn, and remain in that perfect spot. Oh...God is too great!!!
Many do not admit they just don't want to know the real God exists because they have made themselves god in their own eyes.
I never said there were no gaps of knowledge. Learn to read.
Of course there are gaps of knowledge, and Curious inserts his god into all those gaps. There will always be gaps of knowledge. So there will always be an excuse for the superstitious to insert a god into a gap.

The bible being the best selling book of all time is not news, it is common knowledge. It does not make its contents true. It may simply mean it is interesting and good propaganda. The Koran sure sells a lot, but it sure does not make any of it truth.

If you think it is statistically impossible for a planet to be in the sweet spot of a sun, you do not know the stats. There are a hundred billion suns in our galaxy alone. There are at least a hundred billion galaxies. Now do the math. Science has already shown planets in possible sweet spots other than ours. There could be many billions of them. The universe is really big.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#133000 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No my post is not in response to that accusation. The question had nothing to do with a god being better than another. I believe it was in response to there being so many gods which there are. I was merely mentioned the nature of God and other gods; and that some people make their gods with their hands.
The question was about someone's gods being better than the others, and thus the killing over this better god was the issue. Strange how you do not even know what you were responding to. Probably why you ignorantly talked about how your god was better than others. It showed the questioner as absolutely correct. Your poor reading of his question lead you to demonstrate his charge as true.

Yes, there are many gods people believe in, and that was part of the issue at hand. The killing over who's is better was a critical part of the question though. Seems you missed it at your peril.
SNYB

London, KY

#133001 Jun 26, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did the person you called a name to here just call you a name? Nope. So you did not take an eye for an eye. Are you wishing he call you a name?
Spare me the bullshit about your just defending yourself. You are the one slapping. Heck, I think I have often turned the other cheek at your constant name calling, as I did of Sistadoublestandards incessant name calling.
It is why so many are leaving Christianity. They see the hypocrisy. Maybe I should say, keep up the good work of running people away from your religion.
Leave me out of the anTics of the insane and their boxing rings of ignorance, please Duquette.
Thank you.
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133002 Jun 26, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you opt for the killing of people other than yourself for religious reasons over some killing themselves?
I will take my chances with the problems atheism has any day. Utopia cannot exist, and thus I do not fear the chance of the claimed possible problems atheism may have. I see the problems you cite as trivial compared to the problems of religion. I weighed the problems and made a choice. I am not going to worship a mass murderer to avoid a possible depression in my future.
No kumquat , I do not opt for the killing of people other than myself for religious reasons as I have never made that claim And you know full well why I agreed with the OT commandment.
That is just one more of your illconceived excuses in defense of your faith.
It appears that you got Moses on your mind... Better to listen to Ray Charles , He has Georgia on his mind and made a ton of money on that mental state....Moses has you in an unbalanced state of mind which can lead to severe mental consequences as you well know
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133003 Jun 26, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you need to tell me the recipe god used to create life in order to justify your faith? If not, then why must I tell you the recipe nature used to justify my atheism? See the double standard?
I am not insisting nature did it, I simply feel it is plausible. You insist god did it. See the difference?
One reason I feel it plausible nature did it is due to what I see nature doing daily, and what we can see nature doing with science in past days. Nature surely does amazing things. That is not faith based, that if absolute fact.
What you feel about god doing is all faith based.
Well ,let us look on my beliefs once again and they are faith based.
The bible states that God needs no creator The I am That I am, that He is eternal. from everlasting to everlasting , that He has Life within Himself and therefoer can provide His creation wjth that life.
Although I do not know what God's recipe is , it does make sense that He must be eternal and needs no creator. Given that He has life within Himself , then I can understand how life as we know it originated
My other alternative , which you subscribe to is that,if there is nothing eternal ,or you have claimed the possibility of energy being eternal
How ever, if there is no eternsl thing, then one would have to conclude that nothing created something from nothing, that something being nature.
However, nature in and of itself does not have life within itself and it would therefor be ludicrous to consider as being plausible, the idea that nonliving can create life , intelligence and consciousness , properties it does not posses nor has anyway of being aware of...
In my view, nature performs as it was intended by it's creator, where as you have to assume that a random,mindless unguided process is responsible for creation.
That is what your faith has left you with...
If you start with nothing then you end up with nothing as nothing has no power.
It's like which came first,topic under current discussion in another post, the chicken or the egg.
Anexperiment performed by scientists indicate that the chicken came first,due to the fact that the ingredients to create the formation of an egg is only possible with a protein found in a chicken's ovaries.
So,He who created the chicken , provided the chicken with the ability to reprroduce.
If the egg came first, how did the egg come into existence, by accidental means?
By evolutionary means?
How so?
Yes, my beliefs are based on Faith and personal experiences, which you have to deny and claim as magic ,because your faith forces you into that position.
I believe and makes sense to me,that God has always been,needs no creator and ia the creator of the universe, that is what you call God of the Gaps, Goddidit
On the other hand you believe that Nothingdidit,as that is your only alternative.
You can keep on concocting ill conceived excuses and nonsencical theories.
When any of you atheists can provide an explanation as to how Nothing was able to create something out of nothing ,let me know.
In the meanwhile I believe in the IAm that I am, the one who is from everlasting to everlasting and who has life within Himself
My God reins, Christ is Lord and Nothing is not part of my faith
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133004 Jun 26, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you need to tell me the recipe god used to create life in order to justify your faith?
Hey, atheist without a sense of humor, I can not provide you with God's recipe for life
However , I can provide you with the recipe for boiling water and making ice cubes.
Also, inform PreK that I have the recipe for the time differences between EST and London time.
There is a 5 hour difference,something he overlloked when he was tricked into divulging his true location....Then you get upset when I call him a twit... H edrinks coffee ,when it is well known that the brits drink tea... He is also attgempting tp backpedal on his former statement condoning incest..........
YIkessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ss
do tell

Cub Run, KY

#133005 Jun 26, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you didn't understand my posts!
Matthew
12:46 While he was yet speaking to the people, behold,[his]
mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with
him.
12:47 Then one said to him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren
stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
12:48 But he answered and said to him that told him, Who is my
mother? and who are my brethren?
12:49 And he stretched forth his hand towards his disciples, and
said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
12:50 For whoever shall do the will of my Father who is in
heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Luke 10:25-37
See... you get on me for speaking out about sin, and yet speak out about your opinions!
Your attack sounded just like someone that had an abortion, I guess
you're just a woman that cares not about the unborn!
more assumption fails! Priceless! Not an attack, just pointing out your hypocrisy.
I am a male, and do care for every being on the planet. Just like Jesus said to do. Just like he said not to judge others. To also love, and forgive.

I did not realize that you were sinless and righteous and were ordained to lay all
the righteous judgment down you choose. I apologize.

If you REALLY cared about the unborn, you shouldn't be so upset. As you said, they are getting fast tracked to heaven. And since God knows this whole plan already, who are you to say otherwise?? What if it's his/her plan to bring the aborter closer to him/her?

Abortions aren't condemned in the Bible. Actually, in the recent posts, it seems it was kind of encouraged. and they WERE happening. Not only at gods hands.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#133006 Jun 26, 2014
Parent wrote:
I have 2 children that will attend perry central this year and i want prayer in class. AMEN.
I bet "Amen" is the Bible god's favourite word.

Because he knows people have finished rambling to him.

Cambridge, UK

#133007 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
We know what you said , You said that you had no problems with an incestual relationship as long as both consented , were of legal age and used protection, to which you added " If that't what lights their candle.....
But now the heat is on and you are backtracking
Brother/sister if they are of age,consent and use protection is that OK with you
Mother son ,if they are of legal age,consent and use protection Is that alright with you?
And if it's not ,then why not
Grandmother,grandson ,if they are of legal age ,consent and use protection Is that alright with you? and if it's not why not?
Like you clearly stated,, An incestual relationship is not immoral if both parties consent ,are of legal age and use protection?
Are you now claiming that is not what you said?
Answer the questions or recant....You are another twit and troll
"We"?

Who are "we"?

It's not "we" who have a problem - it's you.

Singular you see and not plural.

Cambridge, UK

#133008 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment was a response to a specific.
I believe my comment was in response to people saying God is telling them to kill people i.e. terrorist. I shared we're of the new covenant and God is not telling people to do so. I believed I mentioned cases of people who say God told them to kill in our day and there were clearly other issues.
In this account, to stay textual it is best to read the verses before and after the ones you have shared. It is referring to sin and the atonement of the sins.
Numbers 15:30-31..But the soul that does aught presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandments, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him.
In verse 35, it is clear that God commands Moses according to the law.
The OT is where the 10 commandments were gives. There was immediate judgment if the law was broken.
In this story it's God who is commanding his people to kill the guy who was picking up sticks.

The motto of this sorry tale is - you'd better not pick up sticks on the Sabbath, because if you do, the followers of Jehovah will pick up stones.

Cambridge, UK

#133009 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So there are no gaps in scientific knowledge? There is.
How about medical knowledge? Lots.
Does historical knowledge apply? Yes.
And more...yet people so put their faith in science.
The Bible is the best selling book of all time...that's news.
Statistically it is not possible for our planet to just materialize, oops, evolve in the specific spot that the inhabitants need as not to freeze or burn, and remain in that perfect spot. Oh...God is too great!!!
Many do not admit they just don't want to know the real God exists because they have made themselves god in their own eyes.
People put their faith in science because its success rate is astounding.

Science is the investigation of the universe using observation and reason. For real and tangible explanations of our reality, science trumps religion at every turn. Science explains and predicts nature in ways no biblical prophet ever had. Science has been so astoundingly successful that we expect it to continue going from strength to strength as it builds on success after success.

By way of contrast, what does the Bible have to tell us about our reality?

Well, we have of a world where a snake and donkey talked, where giants lived in the land, where people live to be over 900 years old, where a woman was turned into a pillar of salt, where a pillar of fire led people by night, where the sun stopped moving across the sky or could even back up, where an axe head can float on water, where a star could point down to a specific home, where people could instantly speak in foreign languages and where someone's shadow or handkerchief could heal you.

It is a world where a flood could cover the earth and where a man could walk on water, turn water into wine, calm a stormy sea, be swallowed by a big fish and live to tell about it.

It is a world full of demons that could create chaos on earth as well as make people sick.

In this world you find idol worship where human and animal sacrifices pleased God. It is a world where God lives in the sky and people who die go down to the dark recesses of the earth.

This world is full of visions, inspired dreams, prophetic utterances, miracle workers, magicians, diviners, etc. Man is not in control of his life. Evil spirits may possess him of Satan may inspire him with evil thoughts.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#133010 Jun 26, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Romans
1:19 Because that which may be known of God, is manifest in
them; for God hath shown [it] to them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the
world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are
made,[even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are
without excuse:
1:21 Because that when they knew God, they glorified [him] not
as God, neither were thankful, but became vain in their
imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools:
1:23 And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an
image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and
four-footed beasts, and creeping animals.
Pretty much covers it!
No it doesn't... Unless you Believe that Chickens were created the same time Humans were created... That would be like Believing that a Chihuahua was created the same time Humans were created... Humans selectively bred Wild Game Birds they caught into Chickens... So even if you Believe in the Dumb belief of a God Creating all life he did not Create a Chicken... He would have Created Wild Birds ... Man Created Chicken .... and the Egg was being laid by Wild Game Birds long before Man Made Chicken... And the Colonel didn't create the Fried version....

Cambridge, UK

#133011 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It still holds true that the lake of fire was made for satan and his demons. It's unfortunate that some people have and will make satan their god. And, will choose to follow their god to the lake of fire
That is false-God did not introduce sin into the world. Mankind introduced sin into the world.
No plots or schemes. It may be hard for many to understand that giving is giving. When one gives their word, no matter what happens it still stands, even when its painful. God gave dominion to the earth over to mankind. Mankind gave dominion of the earth over to satan. God sent his word, Jesus, in the flesh-into the world to redeem us.
Our Omnipotent God has done everything that ever needed to be done four us.
Why blame mankind when it was your god who put temptation there in the first place?

If that wasn't enough, Jehovah then ensured that the greatest supervillain in the universe was also put there to make certain his new and innocent beings were overmatched.

You often refer to Satan as the great deceiver, don't you? It is sickening that you blame the victims here, who were obviously set up to fail

Cambridge, UK

#133012 Jun 26, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Romans
1:19 Because that which may be known of God, is manifest in
them; for God hath shown [it] to them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the
world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are
made,[even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are
without excuse:
1:21 Because that when they knew God, they glorified [him] not
as God, neither were thankful, but became vain in their
imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools:
1:23 And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an
image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and
four-footed beasts, and creeping animals.
Pretty much covers it!
Romans also tells us that it is God who decides who is saved and that it has nothing to do with any personal effort/striving on the part of the believer....

"So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy."
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133013 Jun 26, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"We"?
Who are "we"?
It's not "we" who have a problem - it's you.
Singular you see and not plural.
So, you refuse to stand behind what you claim to be moral.
As yoiu stated, you have no problems with an incestuous relationship as long as the following conditions are met ; Legal age , both consent and protection is used...Those were your only restrictions ,,,Now you refuse to address if you find it morally acceptable, based on Your conditions , for an incestuous relationship between brother/sister, mother/son and grandmother and grandson... You aLSO MENTIONED THAT" IF THAT'S WHAT LIGHT THEIR CANDLE', IT'S OK WITH YOU.
So all your blatherings amount to nothing,you are full of hot air and are not able to back up your beliefs , just as with your faith... Twit
BTW you asked Who are we? Nice diversion in order not to have to support your perverted morals which are indefensible
Bible study

Kent, OH

#133014 Jun 26, 2014
Matthew 6:9-13
King James Version (KJV)

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.<<
Bible study

Kent, OH

#133015 Jun 26, 2014
Matthew 18:2-6
King James Version (KJV)

2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#133016 Jun 26, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it. You base your theory on an old book that has many contradictions. You would be fine with something outdated to give you answers to life's biggest questions. These people would add, mistranslate, and out right lie to control the people of yesteryear. Science is based on years of research and very detailed studies of today . A weak mind lets others do all the answering for them.You are afraid of what the truth is. The truth is not in the Bible . I can give you several contracting scriptures in Genisis alone about creation. These people only wrote for their own gain. You back up liars . Losing team your backing up there curious . By the way I told you about the Step Theory for a reason and I think that has a lot do with origins of our universe. You need to look it up...stop ignoring the answers you don't like.
Love is knocking outside your door :)
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133017 Jun 26, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
People put their faith in science because its success rate is astounding.
Science is the investigation of the universe using observation and reason. For real and tangible explanations of our reality, science trumps religion at every turn. Science explains and predicts nature in ways no biblical prophet ever had. Science has been so astoundingly successful that we expect it to continue going from strength to strength as it builds on success after success.
By way of contrast, what does the Bible have to tell us about our reality?
The Bible tells us how we can find God , If you seek me diligently ,I will be found
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all it's righteousness and all these things will be added on to you.
The word of God eases our burdens
Come to me,all ye that are heavily laden, for I am humble in spirit and my burden is light
27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.
Tells how we can have a personal relation with God and Christ.
All which have proven to be true to those who diligently seel Him

And as confirmation of these truths we find that atheists carry a very heavy load;
More likely to commit suicide , more likely to suffer from depression and anxiety , more likely to be addicted to drugs and alcohol etal
And atheist scientists are still trying to create that which they claim does not need a creator " Life"
Seems some atheists think that life,intelligence and consciousness was created by nature.
However,nature is neither alive,consciour or intelligent, yet, somehow was able to create properties that it does not itself have.
However, athests think that this must have been caused by some random ,nonliving,nonconsciou and nonintelligent process which no one can explain or understand
Must be some kind of magical experience. Some nonexistent power waved a nonexistent magical wand and Presto all these heretofore unknown properties popped up from nothing.
Somehow that process is not very convincing, but let us give them time to try and figure it out... A couple of million years should suffice.
What is odd about this belief is that the nonliving,nonintelligent and nonconscious was abvle to accomplish what the living,intelligent and conscious atheists are having such a huge problem with'
Whodda thunk it nonintelligence can accomplish more than atheist intelligence...
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#133018 Jun 26, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Other than the commandment of not murdering, I see no commandments that justify execution.
It seems to me that Moses should have been executed for crimes against humanity.
I realize you feel time changes all the rules, so you would not understand that under our laws today, Moses would be tried as a mass murderer and likely executed for crimes against humanity.
You feel at one time, it was not a crime against humanity. I am sure the 9/11 hijackers felt what they did was not a crime against humanity.
The 9/11 hijackers do not believe the old laws were no longer just.
Oh no , this is the big one , Duket is on another rampage against Moses and the 9/11 hijackers.
Hide that poster,hide that poster,hide that Moses wanted poster
Yuk yuk yuk Whatta twit

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shannon hampton 33 min More turkey 8
Im so depressed :-( 35 min The Specialist 24
The Specialist is back with a Vengence! 56 min The Specialist 12
Women 1 hr Nametaken1989 13
deputy fired over photo on Facebook 2 hr get a life 64
4 More Yrs of Jm hall VOTE Warren 2018 5 hr aunt jammy 25
paint smell from auto shop 8 hr Steele 20

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance