Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 170607 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#132979 Jun 26, 2014
do tell wrote:
<quoted text> <quoted text>
You are a sinner but people that sin differently are worse. Hypocrite. I automatically am an aborter of babies because I dont agree with you? I "sound" like I've killed a baby?....just another example of how backwards your righteous assumptions are. I've never had to abort a child. Other than what the bcp kicks out every month.
Everyone can be forgiven. Just not by you.
Luke 18:9-14
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous,and treated others with contempt:“Two men went up into the temple to pray,one a Pharisee and the other a taxcollector. The Pharisee,
standing by himself,prayed thus:‘God,I thank you that I am not like other men,extortioners,unjust,adulte rers,or even like this taxcollector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the taxcollector,standing far off,would not even lift up his eyes to heaven,but beat his breast,saying,‘God,be merciful to me,a sinner!’
Romans 14:1
As for the one who is weak in faith,welcome him,(((((but not to quarrel over opinions.))))
1 John 4:19
We love because he first loved us. If anyone says,“I love God,” and hates his brother,he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
Obviously you didn't understand my posts!
Matthew
12:46 While he was yet speaking to the people, behold,[his]
mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with
him.
12:47 Then one said to him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren
stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
12:48 But he answered and said to him that told him, Who is my
mother? and who are my brethren?
12:49 And he stretched forth his hand towards his disciples, and
said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
12:50 For whoever shall do the will of my Father who is in
heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Luke 10:25-37

See... you get on me for speaking out about sin, and yet speak out about your opinions!
Your attack sounded just like someone that had an abortion, I guess
you're just a woman that cares not about the unborn!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#132980 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
What if in snapping your fingers to get rid of the mosquitoes that might carry malaria also would bring about the disappearance of a whole country? And, from that country will emerge the person who will find a cure to malaria and two other diseases-would you still snap your fingers?
This is nonsense. How would getting rid of malaria cause a country to disappear? Furthermore, we're talking about an all-powerful god who would eliminate malaria without unintended side-effects like "a country disappears".
chinwendu1 wrote:
What would our life be like without our free will to choose? It would not be our life. We complain we don't want to be forced but we want to be forced?
The removal of horrid diseases and natural disasters has no effects on human free will.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#132981 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So there are no gaps in scientific knowledge? There is.
How about medical knowledge? Lots.
Does historical knowledge apply? Yes.
And more...yet people so put their faith in science.
Science is the most reliable method of gaining knowledge that humanity has. Religion hasn't provided us with any knowledge at all.
chinwendu1 wrote:
Statistically it is not possible for our planet to just materialize, oops, evolve in the specific spot that the inhabitants need as not to freeze or burn, and remain in that perfect spot. Oh...God is too great!!!
Statistically, the universe has trillions of trillions of planets. For at least one to be at a distance that allows it to have life is not only possible, it's assured.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#132982 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything that occurs happens at a specific time and one must research to get the true intent. There is alot of background information about how people lived, what is common place information at that time, culture, customs, daily norms, etc. The only way for us to know because we will see things in a different light, it to do the historical study.
It is an account of an actual event.
There is zero evidence the exodus was an actual event. And the mass murder may also not have ever happened. But I have no doubt it was possibly based upon some actual events, although some names may have been changed, and massive exaggerations added for religious effect that brainwashes.

What I find fascinating though is how Christians keep trying to defend the act of killing people for worshipping a golden calf. Would you like it if someone killed you for worshipping your god? If their god said to kill all Jesus followers, would you not think that an unjust god?

Try and see this from another side for once in your life.
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#132983 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok...you are YAA...Yes and Amen :)
Thanks for your agreement...all glory to Father God. I have not had much time to read over past comments as I hoped. It's mainly the Holy Spirit prompting me what to share upon reading certain comments. Though, if I get off track, don't hesitate to let me know.
Mountain= to problems, giant life issues, etc. I hear...and yes, Lord Save them.
I just posted a response to "what is YAA" because the description given of YAA I had never heard of. Now, I see the posters purpose :(
God bless you and your day...Yes and Amen
God Bless you too!
Don't worry about falling behind in reading these posts, as I've been
here since the first posts... 3 years ago...
They are all the same, but if just one realizes that true science will
never explain God away, and that the truth is held in unrighteousness
by the Godless, so they THINK they can sin with impunity....
I might add, that one person did change their mind on the subject
of Bible study in schools... I've not seen this person on after that, but
have hopes that any that posted against our Lord would return
and say why :-)
Great day to you!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132984 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
No duket , according to you,no one can refute your inanre postings. They are not worth refuting.
Now go look at your 9/11 poster and mutter at the Muslims Nonsencical Twit
Do you even know the definition of inane? It perfectly fits to describe your post.

And your excuses for not being able to refute my post are sad and telling.
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#132985 Jun 26, 2014
An Atheist wrote:
Ah, Christians. Hilarious watching their rebuttals. It's amazing how so many people lack common sense. How they still believe in something as ridiculous as a God in 2014 is beyond me. It's great that the media and schools are finally moving away from superstition and towards reason. God may not be dead in your eyes, but he's on the way out like a fashion trend. Most teenagers I know are atheists, and the ones that claim to be Christians are posers. It's not "cool" to believe in God anymore. I can't wait to see what this latest generation comes up with without being held back by the church. Churches are loosing attendance faster than ever, and half of those at churches are posers and not real Christians. And Christianity is dead in schools. You Christians are loosing, and reason is winning. In the end, the fittest will survive and the weak will die, and it's obvious that reason is winning against superstition.
So, what have we here?
Atheism is on the increase, more people are becoming atheists.....We know that according to studies that atheists have a higher percentage of suicides and mental illnesses than any other group.
So , as the number of atheists increase , if these studies are accurate, then so should the number of suicides and mental illness....
Those figures have been confirmed by WHO and other organizations.Suicide rates and mental illness , depression is on the increase
And there are those who consider that a blessing and insist on proclaiming the benefits of atheism
YIkessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssss

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#132986 Jun 26, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This is nonsense. How would getting rid of malaria cause a country to disappear? Furthermore, we're talking about an all-powerful god who would eliminate malaria without unintended side-effects like "a country disappears".
<quoted text>
The removal of horrid diseases and natural disasters has no effects on human free will.
Ooh Ooh! I got this one! We are all still pawns in that old Job bet between Yahweh and Satan because a thousand years is but a day to Jesus, so malaria, cancer, birth defects and natural disasters are all Lucifer's fault for going to Vegas with the God who loves us so much it's humanly incomprehensible.... See?
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#132987 Jun 26, 2014
spacship wrote:
<quoted text>
Grossly misconstrued? I just read the bible and show what it says. I'm the no spin zone.
Lunch anyone?
Lamentations 2:20-22 God gets angry and mercilessly torments and kills everyone, young and old. He even causes women to eat their children.
God is not pro-life
Numbers 31:17 (Moses)“Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every women that hath known man by lying with him.”
Hosea 13:16 God promises to dash to pieces the infants of Samaria and the “their women with child shall be ripped up”. Once again this god kills the unborn, including their pregnant mothers.
2 Kings 15:16 God allows the pregnant women of Tappuah (aka Tiphsah) to be “ripped open”.
Infanticide:
1 Samuel 15:3 God commands the death of helpless "suckling" infants. This literally means that the children god killed were still nursing.
Psalms 135:8 & 136:10 Here god is praised for slaughtering little babies.
Psalms 137:9 Here god commands that infants should be “dashed upon the rocks”.
The murdering of children:
Leviticus 20:9 “For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.”
Judges 11:30-40 Jephthah killed his young daughter (his only child) by burning her alive as a burnt sacrifice to the lord for he commanded it.
Psalms 137:8-9 Prayer/song of vengeance “0 daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us. Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.”
I provided evidence to refute you misinformation about how I grossly misrepresent Jehovah.
You have the floor.
And yet... with knowing(Thinking) of this...
you'd rather be on the wrong side of God?
I Believed in God long ago....
It wasn't until He took my sins away that I started to Love Him!
Yes and Amen

Versailles, KY

#132988 Jun 26, 2014
An Atheist wrote:
Ah, Christians. Hilarious watching their rebuttals. It's amazing how so many people lack common sense. How they still believe in something as ridiculous as a God in 2014 is beyond me. It's great that the media and schools are finally moving away from superstition and towards reason. God may not be dead in your eyes, but he's on the way out like a fashion trend. Most teenagers I know are atheists, and the ones that claim to be Christians are posers. It's not "cool" to believe in God anymore. I can't wait to see what this latest generation comes up with without being held back by the church. Churches are loosing attendance faster than ever, and half of those at churches are posers and not real Christians. And Christianity is dead in schools. You Christians are loosing, and reason is winning. In the end, the fittest will survive and the weak will die, and it's obvious that reason is winning against superstition.
Romans 1

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132989 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you agree that in fulfilling justice to protect the innocent, the guilty must receive the consequences of their committed offense?
Will the committed offenses affect only the guilty or will it affect the victim, victim's spouse, victim's children, family on both sides, etc. and so many others present and future?
Do you take into account the stages of progression when it comes to human beings, our knowledge, our way of life, etc. What happened in the OT Moses account was a different time, on so many different levels, for specific reasons. The reason you believe the 3000 received the judgment of death is not accurate. If you are able, please study the account more by reading it again and all references in the Bible...if I may suggest older versions of King James Version and New Living Translations. As well, note discovery of the historical and cultural information, if you have not already.
I am so very sure that myself and those who kill innocent people for self-seeking and perverted reasons feel nothing alike. Again and again I will let you know that what the terrorist are doing is not condoned by God. So, stop blaming my God for the evil actions these terrorists have chosen to carry out against innocent people.
I have studied, and found no other reasons given for the mass slaughter in question being due to any other crime than worshipping another god. If you have some other information, why do you not simply tell me? I am sure you have none, and that is why you post none.
I see the calf worshippers as innocent, as I do the people who died on 9/11.
I realize you are unable to compare the situations, thus you are unable to comprehend how your views are irrational on the subject.
I do not blame your god for either act, as I do not believe your god exists. I believe, believers exist. You are a believer who feels it was ok to kill 3,000 in Moses day for worshipping another god. All the believes on this thread also feel this slaughter was good. They all feel a god sanctioned it. None feel a god sanctioned 9/11. None have any evidence of either. They just believe what the bible says without skepticism. Thus they are unable to rationally comprehend many moral questions.
Every excuse you Christians have offered me here for this slaughter could directly apply to 9/11. This includes your excuses. I showed each one. I demonstrated the similarities. You guys just dismiss them with no demonstration of why.

The guilty party on the slaughter the day Moses brought down a list of commandments that ironically included a commandment not to murder was Moses himself. He ordered what I see as murder. Murder is an unjust killing. You seem to feel at some times it is not unjust to kill for these religious reasons. Well I do see it as unjust. And this is one reason I am atheist, and it is a large reason I oppose your beliefs.
In my opinion, you and those like yourself are enabling the 9/11 terrorist types by trying to justify killing for religious reasons.
wwwcurious

Winter Garden, FL

#132990 Jun 26, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it. You base your theory on an old book that has many contradictions. You would be fine with something outdated to give you answers to life's biggest questions. These people would add, mistranslate, and out right lie to control the people of yesteryear. Science is based on years of research and very detailed studies of today . A weak mind lets others do all the answering for them.You are afraid of what the truth is. The truth is not in the Bible . I can give you several contracting scriptures in Genisis alone about creation. These people only wrote for their own gain. You back up liars . Losing team your backing up there curious . By the way I told you about the Step Theory for a reason and I think that has a lot do with origins of our universe. You need to look it up...stop ignoring the answers you don't like.
You are quite right ,you don't get it and therefore can not address intelligently the issues I raised, which you failed to address

"Here you are,begging for time and having the baseless faith and hope that Science may someday be able to create life, which atheist scientists claim needs no creator.
What terrifying truth are you referring to that are supposed to frighten me?
Present it,if you can, otherwise don't attempt to fill your gaps with nonsense.
Moreover , atheist scientissts are attempting to create life from ingredients that already exist, God created all the ingredients necessary for the creation of life.
So you see,I have noreason to fear and you have all the reason for not wanting to give your plausible explanation that I have been asking you and the other atheists to provide and are both unable and unwilling to do so.
Your faith has placed you in the untenable position of defending the undefensible and you all are running away from having to explain the impossible.
But carry on in your futile headlong effort to avoid the issue as I will not let it rest.
You believe in nothing and can only provide evasive fill the gaps arguments that do nothing to justify your beliefs
The fruits of atheism
BTW Do not attempt to create another moniker in order to deviate from the topic...
I am wise to that atheist MO"

You also have been given the opportunity to defend your beliefs and have not done so,other than presenting ill conceived opinions

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132991 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you take into account the stages of progression when it comes to human beings, our knowledge, our way of life, etc. What happened in the OT Moses account was a different time, on so many different levels, for specific reasons. The reason you believe the 3000 received the judgment of death is not accurate. If you are able, please study the account more by reading it again and all references in the Bible...if I may suggest older versions of King James Version and New Living Translations. As well, note discovery of the historical and cultural information, if you have not already.
Time does not change what is moral. You seem to think it does. I do not believe it does. I challenge you to demonstrate how it does. Seems to me it is a sad excuse to justify murder by your prophets.
I am sure the 9/11 hijackers felt it was time to kill just as Moses did.

Again, if you can show the slaughter was for any other reason than worshipping another god, go for it. It is not my job to defend the mass murder. If you wish to try, go for it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132992 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>

I am so very sure that myself and those who kill innocent people for self-seeking and perverted reasons feel nothing alike. Again and again I will let you know that what the terrorist are doing is not condoned by God. So, stop blaming my God for the evil actions these terrorists have chosen to carry out against innocent people.
I believe the slaughter of the calf worshippers was for self seeking reasons. Moses wanted absolute control, and killing those who did not believe him was a way to that full control. It is the way of many immoral dictators, including Saddam Hussein. Look at any dictator we see as immoral and you will find the same story. Simply kill the opposition, no matter if they harmed anyone, just kill them for the act of opposition.
There was no aggression claimed in the bible of the calf worshippers. They simply opposed the god of Moses by the act of worshipping the god they grew up with.

Read Deuteronomy 13. It details why you should kill for the simple act of trying to sway someone from your god. It does not say anything about aggressive acts as the reason to kill.
This is evidence no other reasons are needed for your prophets to order murder.

You can wish to be sure your feelings are not the same as the terrorists. I am not sure at all. As all I see you doing is trying to justify the mass murder of 3,000 people who showed no aggression. You have failed to show me a crime they committed that justified execution.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132993 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Oh , Here we go with the 9/11 terrorists again...I am shocked , you had nothing to say about Moses.........Yeah,that's getting kinda old..........
Next, you should get a poster of Big Ben and an EST American watch and give em to "Pre K"
It may help him differentiate the time difference between USA and Nottingham England
If you could only demonstrate how your line was not like that of the terrorists.... Yet you could not, so you diverted with an inane rant that is irrelevant.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132994 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
You wrote a lot of cow manure in an off year planting season. You made an absurd statement unsupported by any facts,as usual...
Now,go get your wanted poster of Joseph Smith and mutter at it for several hours. That might make you feel better Troll and a twit LOL
It is a fact that no writings of the resurrection came sooner than a few decades after the supposed event.
Calling me names is not helping your argument, but it does make you seem unstable.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132995 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is precisely what you believe in and have in your head,,,,,,,,,,NOTHING,BUT ILL conceived excuses and gibberish..... a Troll and a Twit LOL
Did the person you called a name to here just call you a name? Nope. So you did not take an eye for an eye. Are you wishing he call you a name?
Spare me the bullshit about your just defending yourself. You are the one slapping. Heck, I think I have often turned the other cheek at your constant name calling, as I did of Sistadoublestandards incessant name calling.
It is why so many are leaving Christianity. They see the hypocrisy. Maybe I should say, keep up the good work of running people away from your religion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132996 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what have we here?
Atheism is on the increase, more people are becoming atheists.....We know that according to studies that atheists have a higher percentage of suicides and mental illnesses than any other group.
So , as the number of atheists increase , if these studies are accurate, then so should the number of suicides and mental illness....
Those figures have been confirmed by WHO and other organizations.Suicide rates and mental illness , depression is on the increase
And there are those who consider that a blessing and insist on proclaiming the benefits of atheism
YIkessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssss
So you opt for the killing of people other than yourself for religious reasons over some killing themselves?
I will take my chances with the problems atheism has any day. Utopia cannot exist, and thus I do not fear the chance of the claimed possible problems atheism may have. I see the problems you cite as trivial compared to the problems of religion. I weighed the problems and made a choice. I am not going to worship a mass murderer to avoid a possible depression in my future.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132997 Jun 26, 2014
wwwcurious wrote:
<quoted text>
So you and the Box accept nature as a plausible alternative, but dare not state the REASONS why nature is plausible.........Because your faith has lefr you defenseless.
Which would mean that nothing created something " Nature" from nothing and this nature somehow created properties it does not posses and was able somehow to pass them on.
So you need explain how nothing created nature from nothing and how nature attained the ability to originate life,consciousness and intelligence...
That albatross is still around your neck and your faith is unable bail you out..
I also noted where Box now claims that the universe may be eternal , in spite of all the scientific evidence to the contrary...Box, the man of science, now contradicts science and reality.
You and Box,your faith is like a chameleon,changes based on what is convenient at any given time , as are your morals...
Now"Pre K" is backtracking on his opinion that incest is moral under the conditions he specified.... you guys are the 3 T's Twit,Twerp and Troll LOL
Do you need to tell me the recipe god used to create life in order to justify your faith? If not, then why must I tell you the recipe nature used to justify my atheism? See the double standard?
I am not insisting nature did it, I simply feel it is plausible. You insist god did it. See the difference?
One reason I feel it plausible nature did it is due to what I see nature doing daily, and what we can see nature doing with science in past days. Nature surely does amazing things. That is not faith based, that if absolute fact.
What you feel about god doing is all faith based.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#132998 Jun 26, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment was a response to a specific.
I believe my comment was in response to people saying God is telling them to kill people i.e. terrorist. I shared we're of the new covenant and God is not telling people to do so. I believed I mentioned cases of people who say God told them to kill in our day and there were clearly other issues.
In this account, to stay textual it is best to read the verses before and after the ones you have shared. It is referring to sin and the atonement of the sins.
Numbers 15:30-31..But the soul that does aught presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandments, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him.
In verse 35, it is clear that God commands Moses according to the law.
The OT is where the 10 commandments were gives. There was immediate judgment if the law was broken.
Other than the commandment of not murdering, I see no commandments that justify execution.
It seems to me that Moses should have been executed for crimes against humanity.
I realize you feel time changes all the rules, so you would not understand that under our laws today, Moses would be tried as a mass murderer and likely executed for crimes against humanity.
You feel at one time, it was not a crime against humanity. I am sure the 9/11 hijackers felt what they did was not a crime against humanity.
The 9/11 hijackers do not believe the old laws were no longer just.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Transmission Problem 28 min TrannyMan 1
Warren to receive Knox schools JOB ! ! ! 1 hr Judge 26
gR hampton boys basketball tourney 1 hr fly 1
Why 1 hr uhillbillies 2
News Police make arrest in Bingham Tire investigation (Aug '13) 3 hr Illiterate 9
Movie talk with The Specialist. 3 hr Gothic girl 22
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 4,008

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages