Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 174923 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Others

Mount Vernon, KY

#132777 Jun 21, 2014
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must
carry it with us or we find it not.
- Ralph Waldo Emerso

To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the deepest beauty of nature.-RP
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#132778 Jun 21, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation ,whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God , in short who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his own body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or rediculous egotisms.
Albert Einstein
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
Jesus Christ..........My Lord and Saviour

Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.

28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#132779 Jun 21, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give youu rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.
28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.
So you think Albert Einstein was a lost soul? Most people think he was brilliant .

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#132780 Jun 22, 2014
curious wrote:
Don't tell me about God of the Gaps
Why not?

Seeing that you're the one who fills the gaps in our knowledge with your god.

I suppose he won't get lonely in there because your god dwells in the same gaps that other people's gods occupy.

Cambridge, UK

#132781 Jun 22, 2014
curious wrote:
On that basis I am in agreement.And I understand why those rules were enacted
So you agree that it was necessary to slaughter babies.

That says it all really.

Cambridge, UK

#132782 Jun 22, 2014
PrayerWarrior wrote:
<quoted text>Revelation
Revelation?

You referring to the track that fills the entire second side of Love's "Da Capo" album?

Side One was great but Side Two was pretty poor.

Cambridge, UK

#132783 Jun 22, 2014
PrayerWarrior wrote:
<quoted text>Revelation 21:1
No more sea?

I guess that means there'll be no surfing in heaven.

Brian Wilson won't like that.

Cambridge, UK

#132784 Jun 22, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
God is real, and He saves sinners like me, and
He will save you too!
God only saves those that have been pre-determined for saving by God himself.

Cambridge, UK

#132785 Jun 22, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
I am YaA...(Yes, and Amen).
Imagine telling that mountain to move into the sea...
without taking note of the life on it... that is why it only happens rarely :-)
Like Iraq... sometimes my mind says Nuke-em all....
Then my heart says, Lord save them!
God Bless :-)
"Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become fools so that you may become wise."

1 Corinthians 3:18

There you have it:

No less a person than Paul himself says you must become a fool.

Cambridge, UK

#132786 Jun 22, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious
The OT Jewish Laws are very much alive.
Ask any Orthodox Rabbi living in Israel or any major city such as New York
So why aren't the Jews in America killing people?

Because they know that the secular laws of America are far superior to the primitive barbarism of Jehovah.

Cambridge, UK

#132787 Jun 22, 2014
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly would be a better word for christianity.
Anyway Jeopardy is a game show. They give an answer and the contestant must reply in a question.
You posted,
"Slavery
Genocide
Killing homosexuals
Killing people who have sex outside of marriage
Killing people who opt for freedom of religion
Killing brides who aren't virgins on their wedding night
Killing your children if they curse or strike you
Killing people who blaspheme against your god
Killing people who work on a Saturday"
And I posted,
"That was on Jeopardy.
-----What is christianity?----"
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Ah, I get it.

Yes, I can understand why people would associate Christianity with such murderous barbarism.

I sometimes wonder when (if ever) the penny going to drop with Christianity?

Death, martyrdom, suffering, pain, loss, blood, etc, these are not concepts with which any brand would want to be identified.

If that's the core of their message it's no wonder they've got a problem.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#132788 Jun 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't the one comparing them. I was just responding to the comparison made by someone else. Wad your panties at them.
Why should I "wad my panties at" MD? He is quite right that according to the story the murder of the 3,000 was not ordered by God, but by Moses. You support the massacre and insert rationalizations which are not in the story because and only because it was demanded by one of the biblical heroes. Since you also think Smith was one of the biblical heroes, it stands to reason that you would likely excuse killing if your religious leaders extolled it... that is what a cult follower would do.
Did you think that I've forgotten that you tried to justify the Mountain Meadows murders?
All it takes is the right charismatic Spokesman for God and there could well be kooks and crazies culling the sinners from bell towers from here to Seattle.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#132789 Jun 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I realize that, but you and I weren't specifically talking about such a country.
If you had the ability to start a solar system and create life on a planet, along with everything that sustains that life, do you feel that you could end that life anytime you wanted to?
In this case God really isn't ending their existence, He is just pulling them out of this part of their existence.
ChromiuMan wrote:
"You could easily rationalize putting a bullet through someone's skull to release their soul from the physical Earth to the afterlife as an ultimate act of "love." "
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#132790 Jun 22, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree that it was necessary to slaughter babies.
That says it all really.
Yup, The cancer had to be removed completely , not partially

Now,if you would have the courage to answer the question that I have asked you repeatedly and you have gone to great lenghts to avoid
you have stated that incest between a mother and her child are acceptable to you as long as it is consensual,use protection and they are of legal age, and you have no problems if they are sister and brother,do those rules also apply to a grandmother and grandson also having an incestual affair?
You have avoided amswering the question by calling it a srawman argument. That is a lame excuse, to be more to the polint;
Would you have a problem if your son had an incestuous affair with his sister, mother and grandmother , based on the rules you have established?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#132791 Jun 22, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think Albert Einstein was a lost soul? Most people think he was brilliant .
He was very intelligent ,some may say he was brilliant ,BUT ,he was not the light

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that LIGHT, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true LIGHT that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

When you compare what Einstein accomplished VS what my Lord accomplished,there is no comparison... But that is to be expected, Einstein may have been brilliant , but his brilliance has come to an end , the Light which is Christ still shines on
Jesus,my Lord and Saviour
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#132792 Jun 22, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not?
Seeing that you're the one who fills the gaps in our knowledge with your god.
I suppose he won't get lonely in there because your god dwells in the same gaps that other people's gods occupy.
There are no gaps that need to be filled in my beliefs
However , you nor any other atheist has been able to fill the gaps in your faith , other than with nonfilling excuses.
That nothing created something from nothing is an unfillable gap which you have tried to fill in with nonsense.
Further , your faith claims that that something that was created by nothing from something , somehow,over a period of billions and millions of years " the churning of nature" as duket calls it, was in some unexplicable manner, able to convert itself into living,intelligent and conscious matter,,,,Another unfillable gap which atheists have tried to fill with nonsense.
Then, you claim that you need millions of years in order to prove your nonsense is valid.
That is the topic that you can not sensibly address,which youj run away from and when brought up , you quickly change the subject.....
Then atheists claim that they are being honest when they admit they don't have an answer and do not know how these events came to be,
Except that, you are not being honest , you are forced to take that position because your faith leaves you NO Other alternative
Ans remember , the effect can not be greater than the cause..
So tell me , what caused life ,intelligence and consciousness.....?
A molecule contains more information than that contained in 200 volumes of the encyclopedia britanica, where fif that information come from? Nothing,
See if you have the courage to deal with those issues..........
churchpeople

Holton, IN

#132793 Jun 22, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
He was very intelligent ,some may say he was brilliant ,BUT ,he was not the light
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.
6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that LIGHT, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
9 The true LIGHT that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
When you compare what Einstein accomplished VS what my Lord accomplished,there is no comparison... But that is to be expected, Einstein may have been brilliant , but his brilliance has come to an end , the Light which is Christ still shines on
Jesus,my Lord and Saviour
I'm not comparing the men. I will compare the source of where the information came from. Who is the author of your post?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#132794 Jun 22, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Why should I "wad my panties at" MD? He is quite right that according to the story the murder of the 3,000 was not ordered by God, but by Moses. You support the massacre and insert rationalizations which are not in the story because and only because it was demanded by one of the biblical heroes. Since you also think Smith was one of the biblical heroes, it stands to reason that you would likely excuse killing if your religious leaders extolled it... that is what a cult follower would do.
Did you think that I've forgotten that you tried to justify the Mountain Meadows murders?
All it takes is the right charismatic Spokesman for God and there could well be kooks and crazies culling the sinners from bell towers from here to Seattle.
Justification and understanding the way someone else thought are not the same thing, at all. If you don't understand that, I can talk more about that.

Smith was not a Biblical hero, and I'm not sure who has ever said that.
As far as the story in Moses goes, how do you know it wasn't commanded by God and that part just wasn't written down as part of the story?

We (LDS) will not be asked to kill anyone. We follow Jesus Christ who gave to us a higher law than those that lived in OT times. As He said in His parable, it is better to let the wheat and the tares grow together. You should know the rest.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#132795 Jun 22, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>ChromiuMan wrote:
"You could easily rationalize putting a bullet through someone's skull to release their soul from the physical Earth to the afterlife as an ultimate act of "love." "
I'm not God.
truth

Oconto Falls, WI

#132796 Jun 22, 2014
be careful who you listen to they're taking you with them. they should want you to live in truth.

fake people hate honesty. It's the lies that keep them feeling good about themselves and their lives so share your true feelings about their actions and watch how they fade away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brian Kilgore for Magistrate District 2 7 min Lori Arnolds Cousin 25
john mills 13 min Jessica 3
Word Association Game (Jul '10) 39 min Dudd 261
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 41 min Dudd 4,220
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 43 min Dudd 1,877
Word Association (Oct '08) 45 min Dudd 127
Lets Play Follow The Word! (Jun '10) 46 min Dudd 1,349
Michael Sowders Murdered 3 hr Simplysaying2u 52
there's a secret going on in knox county shhhh 3 hr Insider 11
Funeral Home Drama - SMH 8 hr Tony 9