Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151797 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131020 May 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
Everyone has their own life to live and I'm happy for you that yours has worked out to your satisfaction. Aside from that, your interpretation of the Bible (and your church doctrines by extension, presumably) as having no errors or contradictions is a demonstrable error, and denial of that is completely relevant to your emotions just as the Bible being a "trusted" account requires your unreserved emotional investment. Evidence, logic and critical thinking are moot in your case.
True...thanks, God is too great!

It's not my interpretation of the Bible it is God's. I am not in error when I share there are no contradictions in the Bible only perceived contradictions. My emotions are irrelevant, as emotions are not to be relied upon because they can easily be changed or moved. I gave my life to Jesus Christ as a kid and true, alot of the bad teaching had to be weeded out along the way. As well, there was so many knowledge God spoke to my heart and there was no way I could have known such things as a kid. There was never anything spoken to my heart that contradicted God's word, even when I did not yet know it well. God saved my life from many traps and snares...I have seen his hands upon my life throughout. God has always been with me where ever and God is always there for his people. I know God exists without a shadow of doubt.

My logic and critical thinking are very much intact.

It takes alot of effort and denial to put one's faith in a theory. As a kid in elementary school and Darwin's evolution theory was taught, I thought as a kid and wondered why haven't anything evolved since? Why haven't people turned into something else from so called apes, etc? Science points to the existence of God more than the non-existence of God. Scientists cannot answer so many questions about life, our body systems, the earth, space, animals and so much more. Yet, many people prefer to put their faith in science. One cannot see a washing machine or dryer and say it just evolved into what it is today. Looking at both the washer and dryer points to the fact that someone came up with the design. It is the very same with human beings, heaven and earth, if one is truly honest. It is not possible to look at creation and not see the designers hand in it all.

Unless....it is what one chooses to do.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131021 May 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
Why? It doesn't have any basis in reality. The only source and body of evidence for creationism is the first few pages of the Pentateuch. If you were honest (LOL!) you'd readily admit that the only reason you >could< want creationism taught in school is to "witness" for your religion.
Creation has more of a basis in reality than the theory of Darwin.
Creation was being taught without preaching or witnessing and I still say it would be a good thing to have it re-admitted back into the classrooms. The is available, along with historical and archaeological information.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#131022 May 19, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>We are already immortal according to most Christians. What good is a God if he cannot protect you from harm. God protected king David, even after he murdered his military commander and so he could screw his soldier wife. God protects murderers is he so chooses. A God that you cannot trust.

I come to realize how militant the LDS was, since reading about LDS members like Cliven Bundy taking up arms against the BLM in Nevada.
Hahaha. That's like saying all Americans are like Honey Boo Boo.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131023 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Which bible are you talking about?
There are a plenty of different bibles out there - here are three of them:
The King James Version with its 67 books
The Catholic Bible with its 73 books
The Eastern Orthodox Bible with a total of 78 books
I am not Catholic nor Eastern Orthodox and have neither of their Bibles.
I read older versions of King James and New Living Translations.

You are very correct, there are many different Bibles. Worse, is that they are being copyrighted and to retain, numerous changes and deletions have taken place. All the more reason for one to study while it is possible, so the changes and deletions are easily spotted.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131024 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
The Theory of Evolution has nothing whatsoever to do with creation. However, it represents the best explanation we have for why species change over a period of time.
While your creation fable is just one of many different creation myths.
True, the theory of evolution has nothing to do with creation. The theory is not the best explanation of why species change, it is just one that many prefer. Since the evolution theory is being taught, creation should be taught as well.

Creation is not a fable just because you do not believe it. There is historical and archaeological information available, as well as the Bible.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#131025 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
True...thanks, God is too great!
It's not my interpretation of the Bible it is God's. I am not in error when I share there are no contradictions in the Bible only perceived contradictions. My emotions are irrelevant, as emotions are not to be relied upon because they can easily be changed or moved. I gave my life to Jesus Christ as a kid and true, alot of the bad teaching had to be weeded out along the way. As well, there was so many knowledge God spoke to my heart and there was no way I could have known such things as a kid. There was never anything spoken to my heart that contradicted God's word, even when I did not yet know it well. God saved my life from many traps and snares...I have seen his hands upon my life throughout. God has always been with me where ever and God is always there for his people. I know God exists without a shadow of doubt.
My logic and critical thinking are very much intact.
It takes alot of effort and denial to put one's faith in a theory. As a kid in elementary school and Darwin's evolution theory was taught, I thought as a kid and wondered why haven't anything evolved since? Why haven't people turned into something else from so called apes, etc? Science points to the existence of God more than the non-existence of God. Scientists cannot answer so many questions about life, our body systems, the earth, space, animals and so much more. Yet, many people prefer to put their faith in science. One cannot see a washing machine or dryer and say it just evolved into what it is today. Looking at both the washer and dryer points to the fact that someone came up with the design. It is the very same with human beings, heaven and earth, if one is truly honest. It is not possible to look at creation and not see the designers hand in it all.
Unless....it is what one chooses to do.
How utterly droll and tiresome religious>>>willful ignorance<<< is. You blame not knowing what evolution is on evolution. You blame the truth about the Bible on others not being mystically endowed with the vision to read what IS .. NOT .. THERE. All you have for evidence is what you feel and what you want to believe. In religion there is no logic, there is no critical thinking, there is nothing at all to it except elaborating on the lies and myths you've been told since birth and trying to hammer poorly "designed" puzzle pieces to fit reality.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131026 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
OK try this one.
Does your god ever repent over things that he's done/not done?
Repent to who?

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131027 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Mohammed got it spot on when he prophesied his truth.
Constantinople was the largest and most powerful city in Christendom.
Mohammed made a prophecy that it would fall to Islam
He was right.
I am not a Muslim and I am not yet aware of this prophecy.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#131028 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Creation has more of a basis in reality than the theory of Darwin.
Creation was being taught without preaching or witnessing and I still say it would be a good thing to have it re-admitted back into the classrooms. The is available, along with historical and archaeological information.
I did mention willful ignorance and a complete inability to appy logic among the religious, didn't I? I think I forgot to mention incorrigibly dishonest.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131029 May 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
There are CINOs, that much is true.
The rest? No, you are still and again led astray by your emotions.
Again, my emotions do not control me, I control my emotions. It is only your opinion otherwise, but it is not based on what is actually true.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#131030 May 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha. That's like saying all Americans are like Honey Boo Boo.
Uh, no. Actually the guy is a lot like your religion's founders. Emphasis: A WHOLE LOT like them.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#131031 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, my emotions do not control me, I control my emotions. It is only your opinion otherwise, but it is not based on what is actually true.
Your emotions control you and have for years, or you wouldn't be in such denial of them.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131032 May 19, 2014
Yiago wrote:
I'm sure others are hammering you on this but I can't read the hundreds of posts. Christianity is a religion or else the word "religion" has no meaning at all.
Technically Christianity is a BUNCH of religions all under a similar banner. But yeah, it is most certainly a religion.
And even most Christians who study the Bible professionally understand full well it was written by humans. They just think god was inspiring it.
I hear you, they are trying to hammer me on this but no worries.

I have posted this, elsewhere...Christianity is not a religion but a relationship, better said. Yes, it is lumped in under religion for many reasons. But, technically it is not a religion, as Jesus spoke against the religious leaders. So, again we all just have to agree to disagree on this point.

True, the Bible is the inspired word of God written through man. God has chosen to work through mankind.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131033 May 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
You should read your link again. It agrees with me. Chuwg means a flat circle.
Did you read it all the way through?
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#131034 May 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahaha. That's like saying all Americans are like Honey Boo Boo.
I'm saying Mormon believers are not guided by any holy spirit and, more than likely only secular laws and their own personal bias. Are you denying that Mormons did not have an armed militia at bundy ranch in nevada to threaten law enforcement officers?
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#131035 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear you, they are trying to hammer me on this but no worries.
I have posted this, elsewhere...Christianity is not a religion but a relationship, better said. Yes, it is lumped in under religion for many reasons. But, technically it is not a religion, as Jesus spoke against the religious leaders. So, again we all just have to agree to disagree on this point.
True, the Bible is the inspired word of God written through man. God has chosen to work through mankind.
I think I know what your getting at, that Christianity is a way of living or a way of life. Not all roads lead to the way of life as some believe but to destruction. You're trying to separate yourself from "babylon the great" by not associating your way of life with other religions.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#131036 May 19, 2014
The world was not discovered to be round and spherical rather than flat in any one year or any spectacular revelation. It was gradually accepted by more and more philosophers, scientists, and other intellectuals until it was eventually accepted by the populace at large when distribution of information became easier.

Here is some key figures in the early development of a spherical Earth from Wikipedia:

"Yajnavalkya

Yajnavalkya (c. 9th–8th century BCE) recognized that the Earth is spherical in his astronomical text Shatapatha Brahmana. This is also recognized in another Vedic Sanskrit text Aitareya Brahmana composed around the same time, and in a later Sanskrit commentary Vishnu Purana.

Pythagoras

Pythagoras (b. 570 BCE) found harmony in the universe and sought to explain it. He reasoned that Earth and the other planets must be spheres, since the most harmonious geometric form was a circle.

Plato

Plato (427 BCE - 347 BCE) travelled to southern Italy to study Pythagorean mathematics. When he returned to Athens and established his school, Plato also taught his students that Earth was a sphere. If man could soar high above the clouds, Earth would resemble "a ball made of twelve pieces of leather, variegated, a patchwork of colours.""

Isaiah 40:22
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

22 It is he that sitteth upon the Globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

The two theories:
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question86310....

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131037 May 19, 2014
Yiago wrote:
Suffering. Pain. Fear. Anguish. The stuff we try to avoid. In heaven these things do not exist, according to all versions of heaven I have ever encountered.
If god could create a world in which there is no suffering (heaven) why does this world have suffering? Again I'll point to cases of children being raped to death. But we can also look at other atrocities. Women being raped, men being raped, people suffering from diseases, dying in pain.
There is an example often used in the debate over suffering. A forest fire traps a faun. It doesn't die immediately, but dies slowly over a day or two. You cannot possibly argue that there is no suffering.
Why have suffering at all? If you are god and create a world in which there is no suffering then why choose to put humans - your favored species, apparently - into a world rife with suffering?
And I don't buy any of that "testing us" nonsense. If you can stomach the idea that your god is testing you or improving your character by allowing babies to be raped to death you have a serious, serious problem.
God created heaven, earth and mankind good. God gave dominion of this earth to mankind because he loved us. If God made us to love him, is it us making that choice? No. Does it show love for a parent to do everything for their child, so much so they cannot stand as an adult?

Mankind had everything they could ever need or want, along with a choice. Mankind chose to sin and through sin, turned dominion of this earth over to satan. This is where the suffering, pains, disease, death, etc. has entered, through sin. When man sinned, there was a spiritually death. Man was no longer mind, body and spirit...just mind and body. God did not want this for us, mankind made this choice. What kills, steals and destroys is not from God. God's tests does not steal, kill or destroy. When Jesus walked this earth, he healed people and delivered them from sickness, etc. Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so we would not have to die. The spiritual life that was lost through sin, is given in Jesus Christ to all who accept Him. Once a person becomes a Christian, they are now perfect....as in complete; mind, body and spirit.

When Jesus ascended back to heaven, he sent the Comforter who is with us who are in Christ Jesus. God loves us so much that he gave us authority to do certain things in his name. We blame so many things on God that is not God. We are suppose to treat others the way we want to be treated and so much more. If we were doing more of what we are suppose to do, than less people would be suffering as well. God instructs us not to do certain acts for our own good, gives accounts in the Bible both good and bad, yet many of us still choose to do our own thing. Then, when things turn out painful or deadly, turn around and blame God? How? Please, stop blaming God for what we as human beings are not doing.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131038 May 19, 2014
spaceship wrote:
I think I know what your getting at, that Christianity is a way of living or a way of life. Not all roads lead to the way of life as some believe but to destruction. You're trying to separate yourself from "babylon the great" by not associating your way of life with other religions.
Thank you...Christianity is a way of life/a way of living. And, yes we are separate from religion.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131039 May 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
Your emotions control you and have for years, or you wouldn't be in such denial of them.
A passion for the truth is a good thing....yes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Damn Drugs & Just Evil 42 min DRUGS 1
Where is Crystal Woolum 1 hr Looking 1
what Karla gonna do now 2 hr Sista 2
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 2 hr Gloria 38
Finally getting hitched 3 hr Curious 1
Dustin Gray 4 hr looking 1
Higher Property Taxes 6 hr Check 15
Older men Younger women 10 hr Dangerous Pro 14

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages