Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148097 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#130995 May 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Troasa answered 6 years ago

1- Stellar aberration.
2- Stellar parallax.
3- The Doppler Effect.
4- Retrograde motion of planets.
5- Phases of Venus.
What is this list supposed to represent?

Location hidden

#130996 May 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Everytime you dodge a question(which is daily) you put yourself behind.
?? Whatever

My more important priorities don't allow me to be on here as much as some of y'all

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#130997 May 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What you said you had
It was a pretty broad post covering numerous areas of science, so I was hoping you might like to focus on one, but I can give a brief overview of some of them.

In terms of archaeology, we have numerous civilizations, like the Egyptians, that have constant history throughout the period that flood supposedly occurred. This is like my example of the meteor hitting the US in the 1970s. There should be really obvious evidence that the culture was wiped out. For their history to simply continue unaffected contradicts the flood story. The same can be said of cultures like early native American groups or ancient China. Did Noah's small family engage in some form of super-breeding where they made millions of kids in a few years, genetically mutated them into different races and ethnic groups, and had them travel all over the world where they then continued the cultural practices of the people who had been wiped out, that they never knew?

In terms of geology, there's simply no record of a global flood, or a flood of that magnitude. The size of a flood necessary to fit the story of Noah's ark would be absurdly large, and it's effects on the geological record would be undeniable. We're talking about an event that supposedly wiped out 99.9999+% of life on Earth in rapid water burial. There should be a strata with an incredible amount of fossils showing this. There isn't.

In terms of logistics, there's no way to gather, store, or feed all the animals necessary on the ark. It's simply impossible.

A 600 year old man gathers all the animals on Earth into a boat. This is myth-making at its most obvious.

Location hidden

#130998 May 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So here you are today, fully believing that your prophet speaks to god, but you somehow are sure if you lived then, you would not believe the prophets spoke to god? How would you know?
Lived when? At what other time after the death of Jesus did there claim to be prophets that led His church?

Location hidden

#130999 May 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You often waste time telling me why you are not going to answer my questions, when you could spend that time trying to clarify your statements.
Sorry, your excuses for running do not hold water.
Answers to questions of faith aren't as cut and dry as math. The many, many, many times I have answered your questions don't appease you because there is no simple answer. I have repeatedly tried to explain to you the purpose of life here and why faith is important to His plan. Instead of trying to figure these answers out that you don't understand, you just announce that no answer has been given. I've even tried to get you to read scriptures (any of them) but you refuse because I can't give you a good enough reason (as if understanding what they are about isn't enough of a reason). God helps those who helps themselves. If you want to understand Him or His plans, put effort into doing so. You will never understand what I have told you unless you make the effort

Location hidden

#131000 May 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you sit here and defend the killing of the same number of people by the hand of Moses and his mob for similar reasons the hijackers gave.
Seems all that peace and love talk did not really show you that killing is wrong when done for religious reasons.

Maybe if you did not contradict yourself, I would take your moral outlook seriously.
How did I defend it?
Understanding why something happened is not the same as defending it.

Location hidden

#131001 May 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Mike, he's admitted that he's already given the best answers he's capable of avoiding. I don't suggest cutting him any slack for being a delusional hack for the Smith & Young cult., but at least he's sort of honest about inadequately holding an indefensible position.
Did your mother give you enough attention when you were young?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#131002 May 19, 2014
curious wrote:
Parents have a sacred duty to protect their children, not to seduce them and rape them based on the authority and power they wield over them...
However , that is what Yiago and PreK espouse.....and you probably do also
That is not consent, that is manipulating your child in order to fulfill one's immoral and selfish needs..........
More lies for Jesus as you attribute things that neither I nor Yiago actually said.

I can see you chose not to respond to my last post to you. No doubt because I refuted you entirely you choose to ignore it and press on with your lies and strawmen.

Go back and read my last post to you and you ll see my exact words include...
Khatru wrote:
All your ranting above relates to is a parent abusing their position and is certainly not in keeping with my definition of consensual.
You're full of hot air and lies.

No wonder you're so desperate.

Now, tell me again about how your god blessed Abe and Sarah's incestuous marriage.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#131003 May 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
This country has been proud of being violent since its earliest times. History proves that & box office tickets have proved it since "The Great Train Robbery." (Hitler loved our westerns.) If you were aware of our history you wouldn't be so surprised. The cities become more crowded, the disparity between the uber-wealthy and the subsistence survivors, the us against them tribalistic trends, and the increased coverage of negativity by the media might make it appear that have become more lawless - to those who want to believe the Bible is a panacea. It isn't.
Not that facts matters to someone who denies the FACTS that Christianity is a religion, that the Bible is man made and that it contains errors and fabrications from beginning to end.
It is not that I am surprised about the violence and how many rush to the box office and pay good money to watch so much that is not good. Facts matter. Christianity, true, is not a religion but a relationship with the one whose true nature is God. The Bible is God inspired written by man and contains no errors or fabrications from beginning to end.

Location hidden

#131004 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
Facts matter. Christianity, true, is not a religion but a relationship with the one whose true nature is God. The Bible is God inspired written by man and contains no errors or fabrications from beginning to end.
Facts do matter. The Bible contains both errors and fabrications.

It contains errors of cosmology, errors of science, errors of history, fabricated myths, fabricated prophecies, fabricated events, and fabricated writings.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#131005 May 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you asking? I fail to see the relevance
Does the LDS support Cliven Bundy and his Mormon militia for refusing to pay his back taxes in Nevada bureau of land management? Is Cliven Bundy he considered a renegade church member? I'm showing that the holy ghost shows no relevance in Cliven Bundy's and his milita thinking.

Location hidden

#131006 May 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
The word used is 'circle', which is a flat shape. Like a frisbee, or a pancake.
Look at the rest of the statements about the Earth and its surroundings. Under the Earth is a massive expanse of water. You can put things below a flat disc. You can't put them below a ball, unless it's just floating in space. Covering the Earth is a solid dome. You can easily place a dome right on top of a flat disc - perfect fit. You can't put a dome over a round ball. It would only cover half.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_the_Hebrew_wor...

Location hidden

#131007 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
You should read your link again. It agrees with me. Chuwg means a flat circle.

Location hidden

#131008 May 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
Trivially obvious. Knowledge will be increased? Come on.

This is a prediction that was correct, but it doesn't require any supernatural knowledge. It was written around the time Egypt was getting whooped by newer, more powerful Empires.

There's nothing supernatural about this one either. Isaiah is hyping up Israelites. Hey everyone, the people who beat us up and exiled some of us are soon going to get beat up themselves! Then we can go back!

This doesn't say that Jerusalem will become the world's most religious site. It's basically saying in the end days, everyone is going to turn to Judaism....unlikely.

This one isn't fulfilled; it's a failure. Israel was repeatedly beaten by enemies and remained a conquered people for virtually all the time since this was written.
Prophecy is a prediction of the future under divine inspiration...among other definitions.

Many prophecies in the Bible were given years in advance. Many have been fulfilled and many are yet to be fulfilled.

Regarding prophecy see more....http://www.therefiners fire.org/recent_prophecy.htm

Location hidden

#131009 May 19, 2014
chinwendu1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prophecy is a prediction of the future under divine inspiration...among other definitions.
Many prophecies in the Bible were given years in advance. Many have been fulfilled and many are yet to be fulfilled.
Regarding prophecy see more....http://www.therefiners fire.org/recent_prophecy.htm
The Bible contains no supernaturally fulfilled prophecies, yet does contain prophecies known to be false, like the Prophecy of Tyre. Ezekiel even admitted this prophecy was a failure.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#131010 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
More lies for Jesus as you attribute things that neither I nor Yiago actually said.
I can see you chose not to respond to my last post to you. No doubt because I refuted you entirely you choose to ignore it and press on with your lies and strawmen.
Go back and read my last post to you and you ll see my exact words include...
<quoted text>
You're full of hot air and lies.
No wonder you're so desperate.
Now, tell me again about how your god blessed Abe and Sarah's incestuous marriage.
Your attempts to talk out of both sides of your mouth in order to justify your faith by using deceitful tactics condemns you as a hypocrite.
To defend and attempt to condemn incest all in the same breath attests to that fact.
One either condemns it for what it is,seduction and rape of your child and does not attempt
to condone it under certain circumstances in order to fuifill one's selfish and immoral behaviour.
Your personal morals find that behaviour acceptable whereas I do not.
So , at least have the decency not to hide your immoral behaviour behind some ill conceived and contemptible excuse.
NAMBLA uses the same excuses in order to justify abusing children..........
I did respond to your last post, in which you tried to take the heat off your contemptible beliefs and faith..........
Sex with your child is not ICKY . It is a betrayal of the trust your child has on you as a parent and an abuse of a parents power and authority over that child.
To claim anything else is an attempt to justify one's immoral and contemptuous behaviour.

Location hidden

#131011 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Yes, but you said the English settlers were fleeing from Catholicism.
England ceased being a Protestant nation a good 70 years before the first settlers arrived in what would become Jamestown.
Regarding the church....http://www.britannia .com/history/reftime.html

Regarding the settlers...http://www2.uncp.ed u/home/canada/work/allam/16071 783/

Location hidden

#131012 May 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You call that an answer to my questions?

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>I fail to see how evidence removes the choice of following. Care to elaborate? I keep asking this, and you keep running. The follow up is critical.
Evidence is only proof in the eye of the beholder. I know most Christians have no idea what this means, but it is critical.
You believe you have seen evidence. And you believe that evidence is proof.
So I see no reason the god cannot supply me with evidence I see as proof?
Do you feel there are consequences to your actions with your god? If so, then it contradicts your idea that evidence changes anything.
And nothing here addresses why faith is expected.
You must forget what I say from post to post. I told you that if He showed Himself to all and removed doubt, then the REASON we would follow Him would be altered. He wants us to follow His commandments because we love Him, trust Him and His plan, and because we want to be righteous and progress to become like Him; NOT simply because we are afraid of consequences. He would become only a judge, and not so much our Father anymore. But once you choose to believe in Him and follow Him and forsake sin, you will know Him and doubt of His existence will be a long lost memory.
I know you remember me saying this.

Location hidden

#131013 May 19, 2014
Khatru wrote:
So when God tells us that the ration of a circle's circumference to its diameter is 3 you're saying that is correct?
I personally am not a scientist...so, if God did say it, it is so.

Please, where did God say this?

Location hidden

#131014 May 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You must forget what I say from post to post. I told you that if He showed Himself to all and removed doubt, then the REASON we would follow Him would be altered. He wants us to follow His commandments because we love Him, trust Him and His plan, and because we want to be righteous and progress to become like Him; NOT simply because we are afraid of consequences. He would become only a judge, and not so much our Father anymore. But once you choose to believe in Him and follow Him and forsake sin, you will know Him and doubt of His existence will be a long lost memory.
I know you remember me saying this.
You're contradicting yourself. First you say that uncertainty is necessary. Then you say uncertainty is removed after you believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hunter Brown 48 min Mary 2
Brittani Logan Hammons 2 hr Adam 1
Board Meeting 3 hr Enlightened 50
Jennifer Jordan 4 hr I know 2
i need to tan 5 hr Paradise Tanning... 8
Next board member? 6 hr Wondering 12
gator selling his truck 6 hr Funny 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages