Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 158137 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

curious

Winter Garden, FL

#130538 May 12, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
But you used it earlier as if it were morally wrong. And why does it make your skin crawl?
I think he meant it makes his skin crawl with desire......
Otherwise how can you condone and condemn the same behaviour....
Guess only an atheist can both justify and condemn in defense of their faith......

Slinkys have no backbone....

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#130539 May 12, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one of the great misconceptions that Satan has introduced to the world. The Bible teaches that God has a body similar to ours. We are made in His image. But those that gathered in Nicea to try to comprehend the scriptures and define doctrines messed up the nature of God so we would think He is some floating mass with no shape. You cannot worship what you cannot comprehend. God has flesh and bones just as we do. Stephen for example said He saw God on His throne and Jesus at His right hand.
I'm sorry you do not believe this.
Count the number of times that Jesus himself said "God is spirit" in the bible...then get back to me.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#130540 May 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Because you demanded I read the book. Well I do not read books due to demands. I need to be convinced the book is worthy to read. Especially such a book as this, as it is not light reading.

If the people in your book make the wild conclusions you do, then it sure is not selling me on the book.

Maybe you need a lesson in writing. The way you wrote the claim, it was a lie. If it is your conclusion, write something that indicates that. Words matter. Does your book take care to write with truth, or does it inject opinion as if fact as you just did?
I don't demand you read anything. I certainly urge you to because logically it makes sense that if you are trying to learn what something is really about, and that something happens to be a book, you read the flippin book.

What lie did I claim?

Location hidden

#130541 May 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The debate about your religion being true hinges upon the idea of god being real. You can run from that debate if you wish, but that only make your religion seem less than true. You have freedom of choice. You have freedom of choice of religion, unlike the ways of the bible.

Just keep in mind all choices have consequences. The choice of running has an effect, whether you like it or not.
I'm not running. I've answered this dead on with laser accuracy. Because the Plan of Salvation depends on the test of faith as one of the sole purposes of our existence on earth, there will be no proof that He exists that can be tangibly handed to an individual by another. Therefore there is absolutely no use in me trying to prove God to you or anyone else. That's not running, that's understanding. It is you that continues to run from the one way that you can know of Him that I have explained several times. Now you want me to convince you to begin. How lazy. You have spent more time arguing about my wording than it would have taken to read the Book of Mormon.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#130542 May 12, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No
OK. So you believe there is free will in heaven, but no suffering in heaven.

That means god can create a world in which there is both free will and no suffering (heaven).

Why is there suffering on earth? If suffering isn't required for free will to exist why does it exist?

See the problem?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Location hidden

#130543 May 12, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not responsible for the actions of Adam. His sin is not upon our heads. This has been atoned for. My religion does not believe we are born into sin at all. Just the opposite. We believe children are innocent until they reach the age of accountability. Before that, their parents are accountable for them. I have thought about it obviously, which is why I'm not Catholic.
The consequence remains. Death was introduced after the fall of Adam which was God's plan after all. Without death, we could not return to live with Him.
I'm not sure that's very different from what I said. Under your religion you still have a disease that only god can cure. It's just a matter of putting it at a different age.

Under your religion I have a serious problem and only by giving all my faith to your god can I be cured of this problem. This is what I meant by stating that your religion makes us born diseased then offers the cure. Without evidence, of course.

Location hidden

#130544 May 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, it was the conclusion of the ideas you spoke of. Just how am I wrong about it, as you failed to explain or clarify?
The calf worshippers doubted and built an idol. They were immediately struck down, and you said they had to be killed. And I repeating the story incorrectly? If so, I apologize. But if I am, and you do not correct what I said wrong, how am I to know it is not what you think?

But again, if I did misstate your belief, I apologize.

BTW, I never claimed it was something you said.
Yeah, you did.
And no, it's not just that they doubted God and built an idol. They had some with them that were used to Egyptian ways and they convinced each other that they needed something tangible to worship. Something they could prove exists (sounds familiar). Instead of worshipping the God that just saved their hides.
This was the group of people that God intended to fulfill His promise to Abraham with and they needed to be prosperous and righteous. In order for this to happen, He had to clean out those that would never truly follow Him. He knew their hearts and He knew how to accomplish His task.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#130547 May 13, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
I have provided them to you over and over and over.
It is my fault you do not know how to interpret scripture.
Ignorance is bliss they say.
You have not provided any biblical verse that says Noah was mocked and/or others were invited aboard, not even once. I do not "interpret" the Bible to save face, that would be unethical. You must be very contented with yourself to do so without any qualms about it.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130548 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a legitimate question. Can you answer it?
You wish for me to seriously offer my opinion of whether incest between brother and sister is morally acceptable or damaging if protection is used? In Christian terms, close relatives cannot engage in coitus because Lev. 18.6-11 specifically forbids it. In our culture it is not morally acceptable and I don't know of any social convention or institution that condones it. The shame and/or secrecy associated with it would be psychologically damaging and I don't believe the relationship crossover from sibling to mate would be emotionally healthy for either of the participants or for the family unit. There is no guarantee that standard protection is 100% effective or that protection would continue to be used between the couple if the act became routine. If it were a widespread practice there is little doubt that it would result in widespread genetic defects. I do not perceive it to be a less than harmful practice in any way.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130549 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it could be. Not sure if there are volcanos in that part of the world. But God showed Himself by parting the Red Sea so I guess it's possible.
There you go presenting as "factual" that which are not facts again.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130550 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad things happen to both good and bad people. To guilty and guiltless. The rain falls on both the righteous and unrighteous. We don't know why. We aren't happy about tragedy. None of us. But we don't fault God when a man does a horrible thing to another individual. It doesn't mean that person deserved it, or that God abandoned them. We would love to know the will of God in all things, but we don't in this life. It is easy to get mad and blame God when bad things happen to good people while good things happen to bad people, or in the scenario that you describe. But separating yourself from God in these times will only hurt you more. The righteous that suffer find their reward magnified in Heaven. Those that cause this suffering to others will see no such reward. As bitter as I would be, I would try to keep that eternal perspective. In my weakness I would be tempted to exact my judgment and punishment right then but that isn't right.
Sh't happens.
You think it's one of "God's mysteries" why anyone who is standing in the rain is going to get wet? That displays a lot about your analytic abilities.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130551 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Men wrote the Bible. They were inspired by God, but they weren't perfect either. Then even less perfect men tried to shape the Bible in its canonization and even choose what should and shouldn't be included.
Actions of men don't nullify God. This is one of the main reasons He sent the Holy Ghost to us.
There you go offering that which is has no evidence as though it was factual again. There is absolutely no evidence or cause to aver that the Bible or any book is "inspired by God."
Honestly now, wasn't it merely a less than perfect man who wrote your sect's addendum to the KJV?
It seems that you try to "shape the Bible" yourself from time to time, dw - as per "Moses was doing what God (said He) wanted" when he ordered a massacre.
SistaNoneYa

Chardon, OH

#130552 May 13, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not provided any biblical verse that says Noah was mocked and/or others were invited aboard, not even once. I do not "interpret" the Bible to save face, that would be unethical. You must be very contented with yourself to do so without any qualms about it.
Do you like whipping yourself or something?

Gimme that pitchfork..before you hurt yourself some more.

Location hidden

#130553 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. What's your point, as I assume this was meant to be a comment that was against me.
You asked why anyone would blame god if you went over and killed Yiago. It's the same scenario as police standing around and doing nothing.

Most people, including Christians, believe that suffering is bad and we have a responsibility to reduce it where we can. Yet, the Christian god is somehow immune to this responsibility. The Problem of Evil is a significant issue for virtually any form of theism.

Location hidden

#130554 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Usually by invoking or performing acts of God (healing the sick, parting the Red Sea, bringing back someone from the dead, etc) or maybe by predicting future events by vision or word from God, or by teaching doctrine that invites the presence of the Holy Ghost that can be felt by all, or maybe by using the keys of the priesthood, or by calling angels from Heaven to minister to others. These are just off the top of my head. I'll think of more.
Are these not things claimed by most "prophets" or religious figures, including the ones you think are phony? Mohammad has claims of miracles. Siddhartha does too. Nostradamus has prophecies. The Vedic rishis' teachings help Hindus feel the presence of the Hindu gods.
So how do you distinguish them?

Location hidden

#130555 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He continuously said His kingdom was not of this world. So why would you expect His doctrine to be of this world? Before you can understand His kingdom you have to first open your mind to the possibility that He is speaking the truth.
I had an open mind that the Bible was true; I was raised Catholic. An open mind is irrelevant to it being nonsense.

Location hidden

#130556 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
John the Baptist
John died, according to accounts, because he was becoming a big problem for Herod. Herod wanted him out of the way.

Herod wasn't directly persecuting John's beliefs and didn't order him to change his beliefs or die.

Location hidden

#130557 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one of the great misconceptions that Satan has introduced to the world. The Bible teaches that God has a body similar to ours. We are made in His image. But those that gathered in Nicea to try to comprehend the scriptures and define doctrines messed up the nature of God so we would think He is some floating mass with no shape. You cannot worship what you cannot comprehend. God has flesh and bones just as we do. Stephen for example said He saw God on His throne and Jesus at His right hand.
I'm sorry you do not believe this.
Can you elaborate? Are you saying that prior to the events of Genesis, the only thing in existence was a flesh and blood, human shaped, male deity?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130558 May 13, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
But you used it earlier as if it were morally wrong. And why does it make your skin crawl?
Maybe his sister is ugly as a mud fence and big as one of Mitt's horses?(No offense intended, Khatru)
Or, maybe he's just more moral than Joe Smith who "married" the Lawrence sisters (Maria and Sarah, ages 16 and 14) and two sets of mothers and daughters despite what is written in Leviticus. Maybe he's never heard that it's okay because of Smith "sealing" the Bernhisel siblings in matrimony or of Young's statement:
"Then I reckon that the children of Adam and Eve married each other*; this is speaking to the point. I believe in sisters marrying brothers, and brothers having sisters for their wives... "

*Ignoring the FACT that the story of Adam and Eve is a proven myth.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130559 May 13, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you like whipping yourself or something?
Gimme that pitchfork..before you hurt yourself some more.
Are you going to take up the "pitchfork" then? Pfft. Of course not, hypocrite.
Why aren't YOU asking SevenTee to back up his statement that Noah was mocked and the neighbor kids were invited aboard? I hold his toes to the fire because he claims to know the Bible and claims to be religious, but lo and behold... the only thing he's offered is ignorance and dishonesty and the only thing you offer is unprincipled bias.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy MILLS and JOHNNY SMITH 26 min possum 5
Dell 35 min travis 1
dell optiplex 380 40 min travis 1
HP Elite 8200 47 min travis 1
hp 14" 50 min travis 1
Anyone know 52 min Wondering 3
Nicholas Jones, Rodney Bullock, Benjamin Strong 1 hr Bully 9
Fancy people in D.C. 4 hr pam bargo 13
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Jan 19 Refer 112

Barbourville Jobs