Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 143189 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

spaceship

Roseville, CA

#130335 May 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Spaceship? First I've heard that one
The writer could have said God blink and appear out of nowhere . A dramatic and fearsome display of his presence. Most likely using the imagery of volcano eruption to enhance the story line.

Does this sound familiar?

Exodus 19:18
Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently.

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#130336 May 9, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You said:
<quoted text>
This is completely your opinion and you infer that believers are wasting their time. This makes you closed minded to anyone that doesn't believe like you do. This infers that you know more than those that believe in God. Yet you rail against those that believe in God for doing the same thing. Did I really need to explain that to you?
Yes you do need to explain . Pay attention I DO BELIEVE IN GOD!!!
I don't believe in your bible or any other book that requires personification of God.

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#130338 May 10, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL So, you ,justice and the other atheists are still licking their wounds over the fact that the lawsuit filed by AA org and which all you atheists endorsed was thrown out by the courts
As a result of the filing of that lawsuit which claimed that as a result of the existence of said cross,the defendants are duffering inter alia from Dys PEPSI a, Anxiety,depressiom ,mental anguish headaches and other maladies.
While the rest of the countruy and the world were grieved and in mourning over these tragic events,the atheists were feeling dyspepsided over a cross beam ,that as a result of this tragedy, took the form of a cross..........
YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
what a revolting development that turned out to be..........
Post the lies you claim or crawl back into your dingleberry paradise
9/11 must have been a good day for you. Thousands of people lost their loved ones and millions of people were traumatized .. But you think that day and its ripple effect on our economy is all about some debris that fell in the form of a cross ? Yea that's exactly why everyone was so traumatized you a*s. You bask in the opportunity to make this a twisted, distorted point about your hate for atheism.
. C.P.syndrome strikes again

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#130339 May 10, 2014
SistaNoneyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Opinion: Along with content of absolutely divinely inspired insparations, of course it's imperfect, because humans are NOT perfect...which of course includes the men type that compiled the most of it...
None of the list I wrote about duh flud is opinion and it is not opinion that men compiled the Bible. However, it is certainly a (delusional) opinion that the books contain content of absolutely divinely inspired "insparations."
Woman

Albany, KY

#130340 May 10, 2014
You're right!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#130341 May 10, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me try again. God did show up and tell people which was the right religion. Over and over and over. This is the basis of the scriptures. You and I weren't present for it but this is why this stuff was written down. So you could read what happened and live by it. God showed up recently in the 1800's and told us again which doctrine was correct, but just as in times of old, people reject it because it is different from their opinion or traditions.
Why equate a democratic country with doctrine from God? They are not one and the same. The scope is entirely different and your views are just as shaped by where you grew up as you accuse Christians. If you grew up in North Korea you would think America was immoral. Not a valid comparison.
God showing Himself to all means you no longer have the choice to believe in Him or not. We would not be believing in Him because we love Him and want to follow Him. We would believe in Him because we know what the consequences are and don't want those. This is exactly why I don't speed. It isn't because I love the speed limit or agree with the number. It is because I don't want to face the consequences of getting caught disobeying. I have evidence that Texans can drive 70 on a 2 lane road with no definite increase of accidents or danger.
Here's a problem with this view. You can plug any belief into it that requires faith and it remains unchanged. Throw a dart, hit a religion, follow it. As long as the requirements of the faith can survive in society the religion will survive.

And it's truth claims remain as weak as pond water.

Location hidden

#130342 May 10, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe some He does. How do you know He doesn't intervene in some cases? I have heard stories where people believe that He has, so it is possible.
No. Just because someone "believes he has" does not make it possible.

Also, this is TERRIBLE. Imagine your child was raped to death. Now hear someone talk about a child who narrowly escaped such a fate. Now hear that person say "God was with my baby."

Now imagine how you're feeling about your child.

And understand that all of this is being believed WITH NO EVIDENCE.

This is why when you hear a plane crash survivor give glory to god you want to punch that person in the face for the implied insult they just lobbed to everyone who died and all their friends and families.

"I'm special. I guess your brother wasn't."

Location hidden

#130343 May 10, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I came here to clarify misconceptions about my religion. Others turned it into a debate on God's existence with me. I like the subject so I stuck around and talked about it. And yes it is different that mainstream Christianity. Ask any Baptist.
I actually meant to say LDS is "not VERY different". I left a word out, sorry.

The point is you start with Jesus. I don't even have to go as far as the ridiculous story of Joseph Smith's magic rocks to say that I don't believe in your religion. We only need to go as far as Genesis putting the light before the sun to know that this religion is mythology like all other religions. Cool, interesting, useful in a good D&D game...but not true.

Location hidden

#130344 May 10, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Of course. This is how lucifer fell. He was in the presence of God (which is considered Heaven) and he chose to rebel. This means anyone could fall at any time, even after Judgment Day. I just doubt it would happen to many after all the individual had to do to get back to His presence.
OK. If there is free will in heaven is there suffering in heaven?

Location hidden

#130345 May 10, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
God put Adam and Eve in the garden with not even a knowledge of pain and suffering. It was only when they disobeyed that they were introduced to it. From there we take responsibly for our actions. If I came over and killed you right now, is it anyone but my fault for doing it? Would your family want God on trial in the court room? Or me?
If I knew that god was real, all powerful, and all knowing, and all that jazz then I would - AT LEAST - stop worshiping him. After all, if he was unwilling to prevent my murder when it would cost him NOTHING to do so then who needs that a**hole? Right?

I'm not arguing that he should be convicted of murder (although, given the bloodbaths of the Bible, he should be).

Also, doesn't it seem incredibly wrong that the sins of a hypothetical man and woman living thousands of years go should still be considered your sins? I think that is one of the most atrocious tenets of your religion. It is insulting and cruel to think that way. You follow a faith that tells you that you are born diseased and the church has a cure. It's a good scam, when you think about it.

Think about it.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130346 May 10, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well it was a question, not a conclusion, and you failed to actually answer it. You fail to answer questions of many of your beliefs, so we are unsure of your beliefs. So we ask questions. This is what humans do. To bad no one told you how humans act. Decent humans try to answer questions.
SistaNoneyer wrote:
<quoted text>It was a presumed assumption, and as any actual Logical being (which counts out you pitchfork wielding, caldron stirring BS'rs presenting any and every thing except anything containing any actual content comprised of anything except logic and ANYway--) would then further rationalize, when one makes a presumed assumption, one has already drawn conclusion based upon the same, therefore, rendering the questionable question, as the BS that actually was...until you (or similar content lacking BS'rs) further step in your Ownpiles of dookey, and spew just exactly what it is, you are questioning.
Great job proving THAT point Dukette--really lol.
Digress much, Sistablahblahblah? Why do prattle like this instead of answering any of the questions that have been put to you? You've intimated that the Bible as a whole is correct because it contains certain place names and historic figures that do/did exist, yet many >>fundamental and pivotal episodes<< in the Bible are proven fictions. How do you reconcile a perfect Deity with a faulty book? I attest it's with delusion. What's your excuse?

Location hidden

#130347 May 10, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
We are made of the same matter and energy as the universe . We are not in exile here: we are at home . The universe creates us, preserves us,destroys us. It is deep and old beyond our ability to reach our senses . It is beautiful beyond our ability to describe with words. It is complex beyond our ability to fully grasp in science .We are part of nature. Nature made us and at our death we will be reabsorbed into nature . This is the only place where we can find and make our paradise, not some imaginary world on the other side of the gravel .When we destroy nature, we create a hell on earth for ourselves and other species .
Through the eyes of a Hubble telescope we have seen the emptiness of space strewn with galaxies as thick as snow . We have found planetary disc around many stars.
Why would God create this ungraspable immensity just to frame for our tiny presence ?
There's a site that I'll post that reads further on this ...
The Native Americans were saddened by what the white men had done to mother earth .. I too think it's sad when the Believers today cut down a 500 year old tree to extend their church parking lot..
There is no thought to what God really is. They would rather worship a book or a building .
I'm sure we would disagree on a number of things but I do agree with your post, in general. I totally agree with the idea that the universe is all there is and we are both created and destroyed by it. I think its beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

Location hidden

#130348 May 10, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
"God doesn't want robots"
You'll often hear that parroted by the fundies - it's one of their mantras.
Indeed you do.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130349 May 10, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If I knew that god was real, all powerful, and all knowing, and all that jazz then I would - AT LEAST - stop worshiping him. After all, if he was unwilling to prevent my murder when it would cost him NOTHING to do so then who needs that a**hole? Right?
I'm not arguing that he should be convicted of murder (although, given the bloodbaths of the Bible, he should be).
Also, doesn't it seem incredibly wrong that the sins of a hypothetical man and woman living thousands of years go should still be considered your sins? I think that is one of the most atrocious tenets of your religion. It is insulting and cruel to think that way. You follow a faith that tells you that you are born diseased and the church has a cure. It's a good scam, when you think about it.
Think about it.
It's always been a little odd to me that A&E ate from the tree and thus learned right from wrong - and knowing right from wrong as the heavenly host did they were susceptible to sin. Along comes God with 400 +/- commandments and He proceeds to break many of them without sinning Himself.
Briefly consider one of the stories: Mary was virginal and married (which is peculiar to begin with). By impregnating her and plotting that the resultant child be killed and resurrected, just how can YHWH be innocent of adultery, murder and necromancy?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130350 May 10, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed you do.
And of course He does. The only reason "He" "created" humans in the first place was to keep them in a zoo to watch the other animals and maintain just enough intelligence to worship Him.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#130351 May 10, 2014
Repent Matthew Vines.... Repent!

Ex-gays being cured by Jesus!
You do NOT have to live in Sin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
There are MANY, many more!
You can be FREE....
Repent, and be Saved!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#130353 May 10, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing has been proven wrong in the Bible. Nothing. Give it a try BS artist
Where have you been, practicing your contortions on the Holy Toilet?
I've done better than try - not that you're honest or aware enough to admit it.
Heck, you don't even know your own Book - which reminds me. Still waiting for those non-existent biblical Noah was mocked and neighbor kids were invited aboard references you said you've presented.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#130356 May 10, 2014
'Global' flood!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/t...

denial only means... you do not WANT it to be true...
as you have NO proof it didn't happen... only Conjecture!

We KNOW God is real....
Seek Him with all your heart,,,, you'll be glad you did!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#130357 May 10, 2014
Repent Matthew Vines, Repent!
There is NO such thing as a "Gay" Christian!
There is Broken, and messed up people, and
there is Repentant Broken, and messed up people!

Repent, you are leading people astray with bad teaching!
REPENT!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#130358 May 10, 2014
Listen to the beat!

This is what Evil does.... don't be Evil!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman ran-over in Mcdonald's parking lot. 23 min Praying 14
Joe Ore arrested again 45 min curious 7
Jeff Mills 55 min Need to know 1
Who is a woman thats up for a good time? 1 hr Little tool 24
free jessica hubbard 1 hr Hang her up 5
diet pills (May '13) 1 hr confused 8
Clerks just issue license preachers marry gays ! 2 hr Huh 2
Is judge ex Jm hall going to prison ? 14 hr Knox county voter 21
Sixty minutes asking questions about Knox court... 15 hr Kit 18
More from around the web