Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148899 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYa

Elyria, OH

#130008 May 6, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
..which is strange considering their apparent abject lack in understanding much of anything themselves.
You can look at the onion, but do NOT touch the onion.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#130009 May 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>How many different excuses can you think up to run like a chicken?
Well,,,,,,,,,,That is a deep subject Philosophically ,mentally stimulating...
If I were a chicken, what would be the excuses or reasons that would cause me to run.
1) If somebody shouted " The sky is falling

2) If a chickenhawk was spotted in my neighborhood

3) If Colonel Sanders invited me to dinner

4)If an atheist who practiced beastiality invited me to his home and offered me some corn

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#130010 May 6, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no cure for foolishness and liars.
The tangled web has been woven by atheists who claim that when one deconverts he/she will attain freedom and happiness.
The poor unsuspecting souls that are lured into that trap soon find out to their chagrin and dismay that they have been deceived.
They are now left alone and abandoned to deal with the mental and physical maladies that their unwise choices will cause them
They will be afflicted by suicide and suicidial tendencies, deep depression, anxiety ,they will turn to alcohol and drugs to drown their newfound miserable conditions.
As stated by a prominent atheist leader ,Staks Rosch, atheists will deny these facts.
In effect, they induce these poor souls into making a destructive choice and then refuse to own up to the consequences........
Thesed effects and afflictions have been verified by very reputable independent studies including the Mayo clinic and the USMC,,,,,
No more need be said .. The facts are very plain and speak for themselves........
Excuses and irrational and deceptive opinions are not able to refute the facts.
Denying those facts only compouds your problem..........
Your strawman arguments warrant no response and onlynan idiot would expect one.

I could easily adopt your tactics and make sweeping allegations that all xtians behave in a certain way based on the actions of a few.

However, I don't.

Why? Because it's a strawman argument and using it is indicative of someone who's lost befor he's even got started.

Cambridge, UK

#130011 May 6, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullchit. Most Bible thumpers put Paul first and don't know the difference, or they'll recite a piece of the OT as "God's Word" one day and the next day claim the following verse was "fulfilled by Christ's sacrifice" when it cramps their style.
They also abandon the OT when it suits them claiming that it was written for the Jews.

Cambridge, UK

#130012 May 6, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that is not what I posted, that is the foolish conclusion that YOU came to.
I have answered your questions, you and the other atheists have failed and are unable to grasp the answer.
And here is why, you lean on your own very limited knowledge and understandig.
So, to blame me for your shortcomings and inability to understand is ludicrous and a very lame excuse.
Your unbelief and the consequences that come with it are your own doing.
If nothing else, at least show the courage of taking responsibility for your actions instead of blaming others
Have yoiu read " Seeing they can not see and hearing they can not hear, their minds have been dulled...
He said,“Go and tell this people:
“‘Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
be ever seeing, but never perceiving.’
Make the heart of this people calloused;
make their ears dull
and close their eyes.[a]
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts,
and turn and be healed.”
Jeremiah 5;21
Hear this, you foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear:
It's exactly what you posted: I not only quoted you but also provided links to your posts.

Tell,you what.

Instead of crying like a kid who's had his ice cream taken off him, why don't you show us all what you posted. Show the links and quote yourself and then explain what you meant to say.

The floor is yours.........

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#130013 May 6, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Understanding many things surrounding a claim is called evaluation of evidence. My evaluation of Mormonism is that it is a modern day mythology.
Your evaluation doesn't even include studying the religion or reading its books. Not a thorough evaluation

“Justice Sweet”

Since: Jan 14

Mount Vernon

#130014 May 6, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no cure for foolishness and liars.
The tangled web has been woven by atheists who claim that when one deconverts he/she will attain freedom and happiness.
The poor unsuspecting souls that are lured into that trap soon find out to their chagrin and dismay that they have been deceived.
They are now left alone and abandoned to deal with the mental and physical maladies that their unwise choices will cause them
They will be afflicted by suicide and suicidial tendencies, deep depression, anxiety ,they will turn to alcohol and drugs to drown their newfound miserable conditions.
As stated by a prominent atheist leader ,Staks Rosch, atheists will deny these facts.
In effect, they induce these poor souls into making a destructive choice and then refuse to own up to the consequences........
Thesed effects and afflictions have been verified by very reputable independent studies including the Mayo clinic and the UiSMC,,,,,
No more need be said .. The facts are very plain and speak for themselves........
Excuses and irrational and deceptive opinions are not able to refute the facts.
Denying those facts only compouds your problem..........
Amazing how you can go on and on backing up all these supposed facts about atheism , yet you lack the ability to back up any "facts "written in your Bible . I remember your reply many months ago, when I asked you what God is. You answered me with a generalized one sentence response . If you are asked any questions about atheism , your replies are endless paragraphs of useless stereotypical nonsense .
Why is God not so interesting to you?

Location hidden

#130015 May 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You get ridiculed daily, as do I here on Topix. No one in America is getting locked up for claiming they have seen god. And some do make this claim.
Anyone getting killed over this is due to the practices of religion. And if you god actually showed up for all these people and clarified what religion was correct, and showed that killing someone over religion was wrong, I think the killing would be greatly reduced. I say reduced because the killing is going on over the dispute of who's god is true.

We have laws today enforced by police and a judicial system. It is a real system. It does not automatically stop people from breaking laws. It makes no one a clone. It takes nothing from one being self sufficient. You still have a choice, but at least one knows the real possibility of punishment.
None of your reasoning follows. If you could explain how god showing himself actually makes for clones, you may be on to something, but you do not. You just make a claim that has zero logic. It makes no sense. This is what I do not like about your answer, if you really want to call it that.
Actually, it does not even answer the actual question. It is simply an excuse. Nothing you said shows the virtue of faith. You simply claimed showing god was a problem. That does not show a virtue. So your statement does not explain why faith is good over evidence. Your statement does not show why I must have faith. Your statement does not explain why I am expected to have faith.
It is His plan. And I showed you what would happen if His plan were different. Yeah. I answered your question. You just don't like the answer because you disagree with God's plan and don't believe in the afterlife that His plan prepares you for. You not liking the answer doesn't make 2+2 equal any less than 4

Location hidden

#130016 May 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so it is not gods plan to have me believe? I see.
How many times are you going to contradict yourself?
Saul did not believe before he was confronted for his acts against Jesus' followers, but he certainly believed after seeing Him. But then all those that followed him before didn't believe his visitation happened. Kinda describes what I've been saying would happen if God visited you. Few would believe you.
I don't see how this contradicts anything I said.

Location hidden

#130017 May 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>How do you equate showing himself to policing his rules? So what if their is no room for doubt? Why do you need a choice? Showing himself is not forcing belief. Forcing belief is what Moses did when he had three thousand golden calf worshippers murdered.
The story of Moses is an excellent example of what I said. God showed them proof that He exists and they still turned from Him. So He had to execute judgment right then because they had perfect knowledge that He exists and still chose to turn from Him. Since His plans were to fulfill His earlier promises through that group of people, He had to wipe out the unbelievers from that group so the pure could continue on.
Yeah showing Himself to all makes it a situation where you have no choice but to believe in Him and you know full well the consequences of turning away. This only leaves you the choice to turn away and be judged.

You cannot fully be tested in this life without free will. Even after seeing the proof of His existence, the people that were freed from Egypt had the agency to choose their actions, but they still had to face the consequences of their actions. Judgment came immediately for them to preserve the righteous. Judgment will come to us all one day.

Location hidden

#130018 May 6, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well so you claim, but clearly cannot show evidence for.
But the claims shows if god showed himself, it takes away no free will to accept the rules, nor does it automatically make god police his rules. So this contradicts what you claim.

I am sure you will run from the follow up questions, like the typical politician who cannot back up his statement. I just want my views shown for the record. You can run all you want. It only makes you look like you have no answers.
I am glad you tried to answer though, as it is a start, and is far from what most fundies here will attempt to do. But it does fall far short of comprehensively answering the question.
What are you talking about? Me running from what??
I answered this very plainly several times. And I just did again in the previous post.

Location hidden

#130019 May 6, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know you aren't an alien planted here to kill the human race? You might get the order one day and suddenly you remember it all. You don't know!

How do you know you aren't a brain in a vat in a lab?

How do you know Muhammad isn't the one true prophet?

How do you know anything?

This is the knowledge problem and it is a deep philosophical issue. But you are suggesting one little idea in one little sect of one religion happens to have it right. And it happens to be part of your culture. Convenient!

The answer is I don't know but I have no reason to suspect that what you say is true. None at all. Not even a shred of a reason.
Been watching the Matrix?

I never said my beliefs were convenient at all. Doing nothing and deciding not to study it out and try to find the truth and being lazy is convenient. This doesn't describe my life, beliefs, or path to where I am today.

There is literally no one claiming on here that we are aliens sent to kill humans, or the other crap you mentioned. But if you feel justified in being defiant to God or lazy about trying to find His doctrine by admitting defeat that you can never know the truth for sure so you aren't even going to try, then that's your choice. I chose to take Him up on His instructions to have faith and that He would teach me and open the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven. So far He has come through and I understand more and more each day. But it is on His terms that I learn. Milk before meat. You refuse the milk and expect Him to give you meat.

Location hidden

#130020 May 7, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I just Googled "child rape murder" and you know what I got back on page one? 10+ links to 10+ DIFFERENT STORIES about children being raped and murdered. And 6,620,000 more hits.

Now, tell me again about how different trials "shape us" and how you don't expect god to intervene in "every circumstance". I mean...someone on this board thinks god helped him find a dog. You think god helped a kid not lose an ear. God couldn't help a 9-year-old not get raped to death?
So you are one that blames God for the actions of vile men?

Location hidden

#130021 May 7, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Yet the Gospel of John tells us that no man other than Jesus has seen god.
We believe that one must be transfigured in order to see God.

For no man has seen God at any time in the flesh, except quickened by the Spirit of God.

“Justice Sweet”

Mount Vernon

#130022 May 7, 2014
GodsMyFire wrote:
Only cowards can propose against what is holy , for they may have no fear of the creator and live unholy lives and be sinful and all manner of trueths .
It is an abomination to be gay and it is unholy too.sad to be you when your damnation after life is real to you miscreants.
It is wrong to be so accepting of this aweful behavior , and you too shall be punished as well.
We need more of the holy messages to our neighbors and people all over the world , and it was ever so proficied in revelations that it would be and so it is
Revelations also tells us of the two-headed monster that will rise from the ocean and take over the earth. All the people will worship this beast, until the bigger monster comes and kills first monster .
Sounds like a Japanese B rated flick .The Bible is filled with lots of silly stories .
Those people had some imaginations back in those days .
On another note ...
You Bible thumpers have no business telling people who they can love. IF GOD CREATED EVERYONE , THAT INCLUDES GAY PEOPLE TOO!!
Maybe God has nothing to do with your Bible .It's just an old book of twisted perceptions meant to control people ..Men wrote the Bible not God...
Like I've said before...If God wanted to give us a manual , it would of been sent down with the ten commandments..
By the way..Did Jesus carry the O T around when he preached ? Did he thump on it and judge like you?

“Justice Sweet”

Mount Vernon

#130023 May 7, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Saul did not believe before he was confronted for his acts against Jesus' followers, but he certainly believed after seeing Him. But then all those that followed him before didn't believe his visitation happened. Kinda describes what I've been saying would happen if God visited you. Few would believe you.
I don't see how this contradicts anything I said.
I'm wondering about your comment "few would believe you"... Why would few believe that God may appear ??? Why believe in something if you doubt it may appear ? So typical of a believer. I guess it's like Santa Clause ....Don't peak or you might find out the truth .
SistaNoneYa

Elyria, OH

#130024 May 7, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm wondering about your comment "few would believe you"... Why would few believe that God may appear ??? Why believe in something if you doubt it may appear ? So typical of a believer. I guess it's like Santa Clause ....Don't peak or you might find out the truth .
The whole REAL concept of Santa Claus goes over your head as well, eh?

"So typical"- of an empty atheist.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#130025 May 7, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Just to remind people of the mess that curious got into yesterday.
First he claimed that, like Abraham, his god may be testing his faith..
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/campbellsvill...
Then in his very next sentence, curious claims that Abe knew it was a test and that he wouldn't have to kill Isaac...
<quoted text>
He then supported his assertion that Abe saw right through God's test by saying...
<quoted text>
and
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/campbellsvill...
So, even though the Bible and untold expert commentators claim that God was testing Abe's faith, curious believes that Abe saw right through God's test and just played along with it in order to humour God.
There's a ton of weird interpretations about this story. Some of them contradictory. A lot of people think "god will provide the lamb" was a prophecy of Jesus. Yet Abraham said it. Does that mean Abraham knew Jesus was coming? If Abraham knew the game god was playing does that mean god didn't know Abraham knew it? Seems odd to think a man is smarter than god.

There's a strange Jewish interpretation of this story where it is assumed that god and the devil are having another bet, like they did in Job.

It seems most reasonable to read this story as a story about testing faith. Abraham really was prepared to murder his son with a knife. No joking around. He was gonna stab his own kid and bleed him out for god.

And Christians are forced to accept that this is a good thing. That's called giving up your sense of morality to a dictator with questionable and often changing whims.
SistaNoneYa

Elyria, OH

#130026 May 7, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
..which is strange considering their apparent abject lack in understanding much of anything themselves.
Chromelicker-

I has a kwestshun for yew and Dukie there-

Why is that you two have such a hard time, understanding much of anything anything, BEYOND your selves?
SistaNoneYa

Elyria, OH

#130027 May 7, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a ton of weird interpretations about this story. Some of them contradictory. A lot of people think "god will provide the lamb" was a prophecy of Jesus. Yet Abraham said it. Does that mean Abraham knew Jesus was coming? If Abraham knew the game god was playing does that mean god didn't know Abraham knew it? Seems odd to think a man is smarter than god.
There's a strange Jewish interpretation of this story where it is assumed that god and the devil are having another bet, like they did in Job.
It seems most reasonable to read this story as a story about testing faith. Abraham really was prepared to murder his son with a knife. No joking around. He was gonna stab his own kid and bleed him out for god.
And Christians are forced to accept that this is a good thing. That's called giving up your sense of morality to a dictator with questionable and often changing whims.
Or: a good lesson in things NOT to do.(like blindly pledge allegiance to anything that stinks of immoral dictatorship.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tara 4 min kcb 8
Beating knox drug court drug tests ! 42 min fyi 22
229 silver Chrysler 300 1 hr Hot chick 4
ride or die what a joke 1 hr whateverclever 6
Liquor License to locals only 1 hr Kim 13
Three liquor stores in bville 2 hr just me 3
Bonita you Promised Kids First ! 3 hr x customer 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages