Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142472 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#129557 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The topic had many "it's".
My son had the same problem of identifying his subjects. Did you mean a Nazi flag in a museum or an American flag in a Museum?
Being as you had mentioned a nazi flag, and being that I stayed on that topic..I can see WHERE your son might get that from.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129558 May 1, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do not agree then you are making a claim against recorded history.
Are you suggesting that if someone wrote something that is a claim of history, then it cannot be contested? What is recorded that you feel is so factual here?
The Koran records a lot of supposed history, do you believe it?
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#129559 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say ALL kids? Nope. But I think many are, and you still are unable to refute anything I said.
Now keep fighting the straw men.
I'm gonna humor you here a little bit Duquette..because I can think of one good reason to find place the Pledge back to it's 1923 form and that's is simply because MY idea of "God" does NOT, nor ever has, nor ever will, reside anywhere near the oval office.

Talk about IRONY huh?
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#129561 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you failed to refute a single thing I said. What does that make you?
An independent thinker.

Sorry dude...I was born that way.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129562 May 1, 2014
i wanna know wrote:
<quoted text>in the beginning life was set into motion. all things were created and man, plant/vegetation, fish ,fowl, cattle and all creeping things were commanded to bring forth after their own kind. god also told them to go forth and re-plenish the earth. my question is why use the word replenish as though it was a do over?.. the answer to which came first the chicken or the egg? of course the chicken. it brought forth after it's kind. at the beginning god was the other half of the equation, but turned it over to male+female procreation.
Now try to show these claims are true with evidence. You can't, because there is none. There is zero evidence a god was involved.
John

Erlanger, KY

#129563 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well it was certainly convenient for Hitler to target Jews, as the majority of Germans were Christian, and they already had that major dispute about deities going on. Thus the idea of Jesus was simple to exploit and Hitler did so successfully for some time, as he achieved the goal of having Christians kill Jews in mass for many years.
Hitler had an army of Christians to kill Jews. Not sure if you wish to call that a Christian army, but I would.
No matter what Hitler the man thought, the point is, he easily swayed Christians to kill the opposing religion of the region.
So you do not understand the OT? Well that is strange. It is the god you worship, correct? Or do you worship a different god? Seems to me if you are going to debate religion here, you should know your god, and the claims of the holy book that describe your god and his actions.
The OT is supposed to be the root of your religion. I look to the book often to judge if the god of the bible is plausible. I do not see it as plausible at all.
Maybe you should read it a bit and see the outrageous things it claims of god. From what I see, he is a murderous dictator. Well if he was real. But the OT shows me that the god is invented by men who were murderous dictators.
That's a bit much... Calling the 3rd reich a Christian Army is foolishness. To say you know the beliefs of millions of German soldiers is ridiculous.

The Old Testament might be the root of my religion but that doesn't mean that I or anyone else understands it completely. And it's obvious neither do you.

You look to the bible to judge only. Those are your words. You're scanning the bible looking for narratives that fit your non-beliefs.

You say God was invented by murderous dictators? How do you explain the Gospel of Jesus Christ? The coming of Jesus Christ was foretold all through the OT. Why would murderous dictators create Jesus Christ? And why does the bible continue forward with the gospels?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129564 May 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm gonna humor you here a little bit Duquette..because I can think of one good reason to find place the Pledge back to it's 1923 form and that's is simply because MY idea of "God" does NOT, nor ever has, nor ever will, reside anywhere near the oval office.
Talk about IRONY huh?
I have no idea what your god is. And if you do not think your god can be in the oval office, who cares? Did you have a point? Everything you say is ironic, so I am not humored at all.
And did you forget to put a punctuation mark in this paragraph, because as it, it does not really make sense.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#129565 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know much. But, I share the building blocks of carbon, oxygen and couple of others I can't recall of the top of my head with others. I don't know about the genes part. Ain't never fathered an oak tree. haha.
You have about 25% of the same exact genes as an Oak Tree and all other plants... You have about 38% of the same exact genes as a Spider and about 42% of the same genes as a Frog... The further you move up the evolutionary tree you have great and greater numbers of Identical genes.... The First Living Organism may have not been detectable as alive by our technology today... As of right now humans don't even know what the exact definition of Life is... Live could for all we know be a base molecular simple form that floats through space throughout the universe raining down on planets seeding them with Life that either evolves or not depending on the environment it enters... sorta like walking around tossing grass seeds across the landscape ..those that land in good soil with enough water grow and thrive.. those that land on dry sand with no water or food never grow and become tall grass...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129566 May 1, 2014
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
An independent thinker.
Sorry dude...I was born that way.
Independent thinkers are unable to refute points? Care to show some logic with that claim?
I really do not think you were born thinking independently. Such a claim is really as crazy as the biblical claims. Did you independently think about sucking on a pacifier?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129567 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a bit much... Calling the 3rd reich a Christian Army is foolishness. To say you know the beliefs of millions of German soldiers is ridiculous.
Well I am going by stats. Care to try and prove me wrong? Am I being ridiculous for judging on the stats?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129568 May 1, 2014
In 1933, prior to the annexation of Austria into Germany, the Christian population of Germany was around 67% Protestant and 33% Catholic.[1] A German census in May 1939, completed more than six years into the Nazi era[2] and incorporating the annexation of mostly Catholic Austria into Germany, indicates that 54% of Germans considered themselves Protestant,(including non-denominational Christians) and 40% considered themselves Catholic, with only 3.5% claiming to be neo-pagan "believers in God," and 1.5% atheists. Most of this latter 5% were committed Nazis, who left the churches in response and encouragement of the Nazi Party who wanted to reduce the influence of the Christian churches in Germany[3] Most members of the Nazi Party, however, were Christians, composed of some Lutheran Evangelical, the apostate members of Nazi inspired Positive Christianity and some of the Catholic faith traditions respectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi...
John

Erlanger, KY

#129569 May 1, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have about 25% of the same exact genes as an Oak Tree and all other plants... You have about 38% of the same exact genes as a Spider and about 42% of the same genes as a Frog... The further you move up the evolutionary tree you have great and greater numbers of Identical genes.... The First Living Organism may have not been detectable as alive by our technology today... As of right now humans don't even know what the exact definition of Life is... Live could for all we know be a base molecular simple form that floats through space throughout the universe raining down on planets seeding them with Life that either evolves or not depending on the environment it enters... sorta like walking around tossing grass seeds across the landscape ..those that land in good soil with enough water grow and thrive.. those that land on dry sand with no water or food never grow and become tall grass...
You just told me the parable of the sower. Sorta.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129570 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
The Old Testament might be the root of my religion but that doesn't mean that I or anyone else understands it completely. And it's obvious neither do you.
Need I understand it completely to judge when it states something immoral? The OT demands you kill those who try to sway you from your god. I have yet to hear someone tell me why this is moral.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129571 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
You look to the bible to judge only. Those are your words. You're scanning the bible looking for narratives that fit your non-beliefs.
Did you just take what I said out of context for your agenda? How ironic that you claim I am scanning narratives.....
I judge what I read, always. Be it the bible or a science book. And when I see a book claiming that god wants to smite people for worshipping something other than him, I judge the said god as immoral. Thus not likely to be a real god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129572 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
You say God was invented by murderous dictators? How do you explain the Gospel of Jesus Christ? The coming of Jesus Christ was foretold all through the OT. Why would murderous dictators create Jesus Christ? And why does the bible continue forward with the gospels?
The Jesus of the bible is supposed to come back to earth and have all non believers killed. Your supposed Jesus is a murderous dictator. He is anti freedom of religion. Not sure what you judge dictators to be?

BTW, most of the inventers of your god never spoke of the Jesus. And Jews do not agree the Jesus is what the scriptures even identify. So it is merely an opinion that the Jesus you worship is the same messiah of the OT.
Were you unaware Jesus was disputed as a deity? Are you in that much of a bubble?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129573 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire idea of the apocalypse should be the clue to a power play by those who would use force to have their agenda.
Maybe you think Jesus came to bring peace instead of the sword? Well that contradicts some NT scriptures.

Matthew 10:34

New International Version
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129574 May 1, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
The Quran is the religious book of Islam, it is not a history book.
And the bible is no history book either. I am glad you can question some claims of religion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129575 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>

You look to the bible to judge only. Those are your words.
Well those are not my words. Here are my actual words. " I look to the book often to judge if the god of the bible is plausible."
You added the word "only" and edited several other words of the sentence. That makes you a liar. You bear false witness against your neighbor.

Note the word "often" here. It means something very different than "only". It implies that I might just look at the bible for other things.

Words matter. I seriously doubt you will ask for my forgiveness as your bible commands you to do.
John

Erlanger, KY

#129576 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
In 1933, prior to the annexation of Austria into Germany, the Christian population of Germany was around 67% Protestant and 33% Catholic.[1] A German census in May 1939, completed more than six years into the Nazi era[2] and incorporating the annexation of mostly Catholic Austria into Germany, indicates that 54% of Germans considered themselves Protestant,(including non-denominational Christians) and 40% considered themselves Catholic, with only 3.5% claiming to be neo-pagan "believers in God," and 1.5% atheists. Most of this latter 5% were committed Nazis, who left the churches in response and encouragement of the Nazi Party who wanted to reduce the influence of the Christian churches in Germany[3] Most members of the Nazi Party, however, were Christians, composed of some Lutheran Evangelical, the apostate members of Nazi inspired Positive Christianity and some of the Catholic faith traditions respectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi...
Identifying and practicing are 2 different things. The first sentence equates to 100%. That speaks for itself. I stand by my statement... neither you, wikipedia or anyone else knows the hearts of those people. To call them a Christian army is ridiculous.

In your world the whole purpose of the 3rd reich was to wage a holy war. If that's the case why did all the soldiers salute with heil Hitler? Why no mention of God? Why did Hitler ban the bible and create his own?
John

Erlanger, KY

#129577 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did you just take what I said out of context for your agenda? How ironic that you claim I am scanning narratives.....
I judge what I read, always. Be it the bible or a science book. And when I see a book claiming that god wants to smite people for worshipping something other than him, I judge the said god as immoral. Thus not likely to be a real god.
No. I simply used your words. And, they're not out of context. Reread your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
woman 26 min gagme 4
who drives it 1 hr Big rig 71 4
Jesse Williams Davis 1 hr Big rig 71 2
Jennifer Denise Wheat 2 hr Quantummist 1
cash job for women 2 hr Jake 23
Kyle Campbell what a joke!! 2 hr The Man 1
Stephen Trace Signs 4 hr Open Book 27
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages