Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 150013 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#129493 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>God cannot be where sin is? Not sure why you feel god has such a limitation? He was around in OT days supposedly and sin was there.

And I do not obey any of the bible simply due to a rule being in the bible, and one main reason is, I do not even think a god exists. So right out of the gate, billions do not follow your god due to not believing in him, much less the difficulty of following rules.

Why do you keep dodging my points? You simply repeat yourself and keep dodging the points. I fully understand your statements. Not sure why you feel I do not?
He sees what happens daily and in the OT, spoke with His prophets. This doesn't mean He was in their presence all the time. You notice "in the midst" is used frequently.
I'm not dodging any posts. I'm answering with what I consider "truth" based off of what I have learned and continue to learn.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#129494 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously that would be evidence. But you seem to think we should be sure with zero evidence. And the bible claims we should be sure without evidence. And we keep saying this is not reasonable. You have yet to show why it is reasonable.
My opinion is that you shouldn't wait for that "evidence". Don't procrastinate the day of your salvation.
It isn't reasonable because the guy that created you, that you choose not to believe in, made the rules for our time here, and gets to choose what happens to us after our time here. That alone should make people want to figure things out before they die. Most everyone has a tendency to wonder about the purpose of life, how we got here, and what happens after we die. It is human nature to wonder these things at some point in life for most everyone. There is a reason we wonder these things. Curiosity leads to some sort of research, and if the person really truly wants to know and can remove skepticism that they aren't the center of the universe and there might be a greater power, and has the mindset that if they learn there is, they will change their life accordingly, that person will find God.
John

Florence, KY

#129495 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you dispute the phrase I use, or are you disputing the life of my genes living on after I die? Because if it is just the phrase, I say you are nit picking and dodging my point.
It is part of my life, living after my death. Again you show a black and white, only two scenario world. Seems pretty narrow minded vision. How can you fully question if you have ruled out so many possibilities out of the gate?
Evolution does affect all life.
I do not think all things are equal.
Our world will end as worlds do as evidence shows. So forever is doubtful.
No I'm not nitpicking anything. Sorry if you took it that way. You're genes may live on but life as you know it is over.

I just find it hard to believe that an individual was given this playground we call earth and that's it... How can an individual die if all life is related? Yet the body dies. It's just that I believe my spirit will live on. That's why I don't worry when death comes a knocking as it surely will.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#129496 May 1, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>This article is unbelievable. The irony meter is off the charts.
He even has the ignorance to say, "do not change our pledge" yet it was changed, when god was added to it.
This article is why god should never have been in the pledge.
And read some of the comments. The right wingers want these people to be thrown out of America.
original Pledge didn't have the word God in it. In the 50's the goverment unconstitutionally added it

Today... the fundies are dealing with reality. The way they changed the pledge in the 50's is now biting them in the azz.

If they can change it to their God then so can American's change it to reflect any God... including Allah.

Right wingers lose on this one.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#129497 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
I'm not confused about evolution. For evolution to begin, it must have a beginning. That was my point. If all life is related it's logical to conclude something created it.
...why?
John wrote:
To entertain the idea that everything we know and see was an accident is a serious stretch imo.
I think you'd have a hard to explaining why a super-powerful creator would be interested in making single-celled life forms.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#129498 May 1, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
America has the highest membership, but that is changing daily. Give it 10 years.
I am claiming that the pure doctrine that Jesus taught, along with the priesthood authority, was lost somewhere between the death of the apostles and Constantine's Nicean Council's conclusion of what doctrine should be.
Those that wanted to follow Christ did so with what knowledge and scriptures they had left, and did the absolute best they could, but the authority to act in God's name and perform saving ordinances with the priesthood power that binds on earth and in Heaven, was lost.
The apostasy opened the door for the restoration of Christ's church.
You talking about the flying spaghetti monster?
John

Florence, KY

#129499 May 1, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are getting there... All Living Things including Plants, bugs, animals are the same basic living organism evolved into many differentiated individual living organisms.... Many of the genes in Your body exist in every living thing on the planet.. including the microbes in small pools of steaming goo in some distant tar pit...
I don't know much. But, I share the building blocks of carbon, oxygen and couple of others I can't recall of the top of my head with others. I don't know about the genes part. Ain't never fathered an oak tree. haha.
Historian

Hopkinsville, KY

#129500 May 1, 2014
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans want to take out the 1st amendment to the US Constitution because they cannot establish the Christian Church in the USA.,
It is not necessarily Republicans. It is a coalition of the Christian Right and Libertarians who hijacked the Republican Party. The most adamant of them have now moved off into their own party on the lunatic fringe, a party that calls itself the Constitution Party. Its ideology is a mix of Libertarian Social Darwinist economics and "Christian" theocracy.

For an idea what the society they envision would look like, look at the socio-economic system portrayed in the movie Soylent Green, add in a Supreme Court composed of television preachers the likes of John Hagee, Richard Land, and Gary North that functions like Iran's Guardian Council of ayatollahs or Saudi Arabia's ulema, and a draconian law code based on the Old Testament.

There is only one way to deal with people like that: beat them to a bloody pulp and send them crawling back to the lunatic fringe from whence they came.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#129501 May 1, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not necessarily Republicans. It is a coalition of the Christian Right and Libertarians who hijacked the Republican Party. The most adamant of them have now moved off into their own party on the lunatic fringe, a party that calls itself the Constitution Party. Its ideology is a mix of Libertarian Social Darwinist economics and "Christian" theocracy.
For an idea what the society they envision would look like, look at the socio-economic system portrayed in the movie Soylent Green, add in a Supreme Court composed of television preachers the likes of John Hagee, Richard Land, and Gary North that functions like Iran's Guardian Council of ayatollahs or Saudi Arabia's ulema, and a draconian law code based on the Old Testament.
There is only one way to deal with people like that: beat them to a bloody pulp and send them crawling back to the lunatic fringe from whence they came.
OK... the hijacking of the Repubs is true!!! And I concur with you 100%
John

Florence, KY

#129502 May 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
...why?
<quoted text>
I think you'd have a hard to explaining why a super-powerful creator would be interested in making single-celled life forms.
Why????? Why not?

Well, It's written God created Adam from the dust of the earth. It's also been written on this thread all life is related. With that said, who's to say the single cells weren't already in the dust? Unless you believe that evolution only pertains to life forms? Why couldn't the earth evolve? In light of the fact all the building blocks for life come from the earth.

Actually, it makes perfect sense to me. The world was created before man. Even science doesn't dispute that.

Location hidden

#129503 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Why????? Why not?
That conclusion isn't logical. Something having a beginning doesn't mean it has a creator.
John wrote:
Well, It's written God created Adam from the dust of the earth. It's also been written on this thread all life is related. With that said, who's to say the single cells weren't already in the dust? Unless you believe that evolution only pertains to life forms?
Wait, are you saying Adam and Eve were single celled organisms?

Evolution DOES only pertain to life forms.
John wrote:
Why couldn't the earth evolve?
The Earth isn't alive, doesn't have genes, doesn't reproduce, etc.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#129504 May 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did.#129266.
<quoted text>
I just addressed it. You refuse to reply because you are a coward.
WHY does the OT god tell the Israelites they can rape women?
WHY does the OT god tell the Israelites they can take slaves?
WHY does the OT god tell the Israelites they can murder unarmed women and children?
Evasion #10
LOL You are so desperate to defend your faith by any dishonest way possible.
Let me point it out ONE MORE TIME
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I maintain that you are still a liar as you are unable to provide the posting where you state that I claimed to be morally superior.
BOXresponded
I already did.#129266.

Let us read post 129266

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Reply »|Report Abuse|Judge it!|#129266
Because he saved curious' puppy?

curious responded;
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah , Because he saved me......From the debauched and degenerate lifestyle I pursued when I did not believe in HIM.
Much like yourself , at that time in my life I was looking to justify my sewerlike lifestyle.
Looking back, unlike the self righteous atheist witchetty , I can not claim that I've never committed an act for which I need be ashamed of.
Based on your low moral standards,as evidenced by your postings, you would agree with her, you would make the same claim about yourself,while knowing that you are lying.......
The fruits of atheism,,,Condoning y the immoral while condeming the moral
Condemn virginity while condoning promiscuity
Condemn respect for your parents and refer to them as delusional
Condone homosexuality as a healthy lifestyle, while refusing to acknowledge the dreadful consequences, as Yiago has done.........
Lived in the sewer for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to lonnnnnnnnnnnng.
Ain't going back ain't gonna happen

I may not be as "intelligent" as the atheists that UMM brags about, however, I am SMART enough not to crawl back into the sewer,searching for nonexistent pearls""
There it is. Where is it that I stated" that I am morally superior"
A pathological liar is someone who habitually lies even to his disadvantage as you have been doing repeatedly.
Add another one to the list of maladies that afflict atheists
Pathological liar

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#129505 May 1, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No , I am not taking anything that I posted back.
However , I am calling you out on your lie which you stated
"False. My reply was to an assertion on your part that you are morally superior. I pointed out that your moral system condones rape, genocide, and slavery. "
As you know,that is alie , and I am asking you to provide the evidence or admit that you are a liar.. And I would like to seee this complete post , not just snippets
You ,Yiago ,Duket and Pre K are 4 shyster conmen who have attempted to get me to answer questions ;
However ,you want me to answer them ,not based on my faith, but rather on your atheist beliefs.
That is why you all will not ask the question based on what is stated in the Bible.
That is the information that you are unwilling to provide in order to justify your gutless faith.
W e have been talking about stoning those who have sex outside of marriage and homosexuality. YOU , unable to cope with the series of tragic consequences that such behavior breeds , have opted to change the topic ,by making another false claim.
The jello in your backbone has begun to melt because of the heat..........
Stop running away ,stay on topic, don't change the subject
Stop evading the issue, that is a sign of one who knows he is defeated,sees no possibility of winning and therefore must evade and avoid in order not to gey TORCHED.
You and the other 3 shysters have provided an overabundance of excuses...
Time you all tried HONESTY for a change
I will wait,,,,,,,,in vain..........for you to provide that nonexistent post where I,supposedly claim that I am morally superior....Now you have backed off that and are now calling it a generalization..........
YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSS. What next?
The fact remains that you are defending:

Slavery
Genocide
Killing homosexuals
Killing people who have sex outside of marriage
Killing people who opt for freedom of religion
Killing brides who aren't virgins on their wedding night
Killing your children if they curse or strike you
Killing people who blaspheme against your god
Killing people who work on a Saturday

Location hidden

#129506 May 1, 2014
curious wrote:
Let me point it out ONE MORE TIME
Oh, you'd like to prove yourself wrong again? Okay.
curious wrote:
Based on your low moral standards,as evidenced by your postings, you would agree with her, you would make the same claim about yourself,while knowing that you are lying.......
The fruits of atheism,,,Condoning y the immoral while condeming the moral
So you say others have low moral standards and that atheism, which we hold to, condines the immoral and condemns the moral.

That is saying that you are morally superior.

By the way, Evasion #11

WHY does the OT god tell the Israelites they can rape women?
WHY does the OT god tell the Israelites they can take slaves?
WHY does the OT god tell the Israelites they can murder unarmed women and children?
John

Florence, KY

#129507 May 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
That conclusion isn't logical. Something having a beginning doesn't mean it has a creator.
<quoted text>
Wait, are you saying Adam and Eve were single celled organisms?
Evolution DOES only pertain to life forms.
<quoted text>
The Earth isn't alive, doesn't have genes, doesn't reproduce, etc.
It doesn't mean there isn't a creator either. I never said Adam was a single celled organism and I never mentioned Eve.

You say the Earth isn't alive... Therefore it's dead. Yet there's plenty of living organisms on Earth. Therefore there must be a creator. Life can't come from a dead Earth. Right?

Location hidden

#129508 May 1, 2014
John wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't mean there isn't a creator either.
No, but it's unnecessary.
John wrote:
I never said Adam was a single celled organism and I never mentioned Eve.
Then I'm unsure what you were trying to say. God created Adam out of single-celled organisms living in dust?
John wrote:
You say the Earth isn't alive... Therefore it's dead. Yet there's plenty of living organisms on Earth. Therefore there must be a creator. Life can't come from a dead Earth. Right?
The Earth is not alive or dead. Why can't life arise from an unliving Earth?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#129509 May 1, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact remains that you are defending:
Slavery
Genocide
Killing homosexuals
Killing people who have sex outside of marriage
Killing people who opt for freedom of religion
Killing brides who aren't virgins on their wedding night
Killing your children if they curse or strike you
Killing people who blaspheme against your god
Killing people who work on a Saturday
The fact remains that you intentionally are misrepresenting what I believe so that you can attempt to justify your calamitous faith and unbelief.
I know the frustration you and the other 3 shysters must feel at the failure of your futile attempts to get me to justify MY faith by using your unbelief as my foundation.
That MO may work on the poor unsuspecting souls that you may be attempting to deconvert......I ain't one of those.
So, your devious and conniving schemes will not work and you lack the backbone to put your question in it's proper perspective which is based on the reasons and objectives stated in the Bible by God and which are addressed specifically to the Jewish nation.
All of that relevant information , you, Yiago ,Box and Duket , have intentionally omitted and have arbitrarily dismissed it as invalid ,but have never presented it.
Talk about cowardly , talk about scheming and conniving, talk about practicing deceit,
talk about TILTING the scales in your favor by dishonest means in order to wrongfully gain the upper hand.......
Fact is ,to me , your behaviour is more than scurrilous and by any moral standard ,it is reprehensible.
Having said that,,,,Instead of your incessant excuses ,attempts to mislead and deceive,
You need to all get together and muster the courage and backbone to present all the facts ,
and then you will get the answer to your questions.
Obviously, you are attempting to avoid that answer for fear of getting torched.
To the shame of all of you, you have taken it upon yourselves to answer the questions on my behalf based on your atheist beliefs.....
The desperate times you have created for yourselves lead you to having to employ desperate measures and dishonest tactics....
Continue with your lies and denials
The chickens have come home to roost and have selected atheism as their nesting place.

Location hidden

#129510 May 1, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact remains that you intentionally are misrepresenting what I believe
How so? The Bible supports slavery. You believe in the Bible.

What's the misrepresentation?
i wanna know

United States

#129511 May 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but it's unnecessary.
<quoted text>
Then I'm unsure what you were trying to say. God created Adam out of single-celled organisms living in dust?
<quoted text>
The Earth is not alive or dead. Why can't life arise from an unliving Earth?
in the beginning life was set into motion. all things were created and man, plant/vegetation, fish ,fowl, cattle and all creeping things were commanded to bring forth after their own kind. god also told them to go forth and re-plenish the earth. my question is why use the word replenish as though it was a do over?.. the answer to which came first the chicken or the egg? of course the chicken. it brought forth after it's kind. at the beginning god was the other half of the equation, but turned it over to male+female procreation.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#129512 May 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
How so? The Bible supports slavery. You believe in the Bible.
What's the misrepresentation?
Der HERR ist mein Hirte, mir wird nichts mangeln.
Er weidet mich auf einer grünen Aue und führet mich zum frischen Wasser.
Er erquicket meine Seele. Er führet mich auf rechter Straße um seines Namens willen.

Und ob ich schon wanderte im finstern Tal, fürchte ich kein Unglück;
denn du bist bei mir, dein Stecken und Stab trösten mich.
Du bereitest vor mir einen Tisch im Angesicht meiner Feinde. Du salbest mein Haupt mit Öl und schenkest mir voll ein.
Gutes und Barmherzigkeit werden mir folgen mein Leben lang, und ich werde bleiben
im Hause des HERRN immerdar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
War hero 25 min Liberal 1
What is wrong with Barbourville cable 26 min Wondering 2
Board of Education theft 1 hr employee 9
Murder: Whats the motive and Connection (May '14) 2 hr Honest 61
Judge hall supports Kilgore 25e sign 2 hr Yankee Rose 34
Obama Antichrist: Gods Final Call (666) (Nov '12) 5 hr oh no 56
sarah hibbard (Feb '09) 5 hr Sarah 5

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance