Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 170515 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#128942 Apr 22, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Let me tell you one of the things I believe in
As pertains to you, I believe in retroactive abortions.
I believe that a dishonest scoundrel is incapapable of framing an honest question.
One whose ancestors were chased down the Misssissippi to the Gulf of Mexico, as they fled headlong through the briars and the brambles with the Americans on their heels, and then claimed that was part of their battle strategy, as the Americans would get tired by having to climb over the strewn British carcasses that littered the countryside is truly the mark of the illogical excuses that cowards devise in order to justify their behaviour.
You have learned much from your ancestors. However what you have learned has been in vain, as I am not getting tired and will continue chasing your arce till I corner you in your lair in the state of Kentucky......
BTW.... I gotta little surprise waiting for ya . Wait till I post it..........LOL
Surprise?

Don't tell me, you found the newspaper article reporting on me obtaining my doctorate of divinity.

No?

You've decided to base your history on what really happened rather than a song.

No?

You read about my atheist activities when I was four and how I petrol bombed the local sunday school outing.

Cambridge, UK

#128943 Apr 22, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a model proselytizer. Someone asks for clarification on a Bible verses and you leaven 'em hanging!? What if you had a chance here to convert me?
What would Jesus think of this? For shame.
Not sure what Jesus would think but I'm fairly sure I know what he would do:

He'd say a bunch of stuff, get nailed to a wooden cross and then be misinterpreted by millions of people.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128944 Apr 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We all existed before we were born. We are children of God. We grew and progressed before we came here. We developed talents and skills, etc. We continued to become more and more like our Heavenly Father. But before our progression could continue, we needed 2 things, our faith to be tested, and a physical body. This test of faith was necessary to refine us for things to come.
We did not exist before we were conceived.

Why does faith need to be tested when faith is a bad thing?

Location hidden

#128945 Apr 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I should have asked which time on the court appearance. He was charged several times but no one has ever produced a conviction on them.
He was convicted in New York. From the 1826 court transcript: "And therefore the Court find the Defendant guilty."
http://mormonthink.com/QUOTES/js1826.htm
do whut wrote:
Most knew he liked to look for Spanish buried treasure, like hundreds of others in that time period. He was a poor, uneducated farm kid, so it's not unusual that he was hoping to find it too.
You are not being honest. He was telling other people that he had a magical ability to find treasure with a "seeing stone".

This is not treasure hunting. This is fraud.
do whut wrote:
If he created 5 copies of the same thing, but Martin's wife altered the first one, she would still say that his additional copies didn't match the first copy.
So what? He could simply reproduce another copy and it would prove that Martin's wife was in the wrong.
do whut wrote:
How is that not a smart move to refuse to translate the book of Lehi again? I think it was the best solution. Why do you not?
It doesn't solve the problem and it's a huge red flag. The most reasonable explanation for his behavior is that he *couldn't* make another copy.
do whut wrote:
About the origins, what? If we all have common ancestors, why do you expect to see differences in DNA now?
...because different people have different DNA. Imagine the common ancestor is "Human000". Over time, there is increased diversity. Africans are "Human100", Asians are "Human200", Europeans are "Human300", Semetic people are "Human400", etc

If native Americans are descendents of Semetic peoples (per the Book of Mormon), then their genetics should contain that "4" character. Sioux should be "Human402" or Apache "Human 431".

But NONE of the native Americans have that Semetic background. They have an Asian ("3") background. They're "Human 354" and "Human317".
do whut wrote:
It was said back in the 1800's that the papyri that the Book of Abraham came from was lost.
The papyri (at least some) were found in the 1960s and given to the LDS church.*Nothing on them matches anything in the Book of Abraham.* They are common Egyptian funerary texts. Joseph Smith's translation was completely made up. He didn't know how to decipher hieroglyphics. Again, fraud.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128946 Apr 22, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
What in the name of goodness are you even talking about?? You keep asking for more information about your own book.
The Jews entered a covenant with Yaweh on several occasions. n.
You have refused to deal with the issue in question now and are ettemptimg to go on to a totally different issue
You wrote
"Do you feel a tinge of guilt or a strange tug from your human side when you declare your support for
STONING MEN TO DEATH FOR BEING GAYeven if it only in a bygone era? Because that's what I'm getting at. I have no problem understanding the rationale behind such rules in the Bible. But as a modern thinking human being with a moral sense I know better than to accept such rules as being reasonable or necessary. I know it is wrong to stone people to death for their sexual orientation.
You apparently do not know that.
You also seem to think KILLING WOMEN FOR SLEEPING WITH PEOPLE prior to marriage was ok. You strongly suggested it was a "deterrent" to them being sluts or something.
Your moral priorities are being assaulted by your insistence on harmonizing god's strange, contradictory, and often brutal nature. That's what you get when you mash up a barbarian deity with a quasi-new age deity and try to argue they are the same.

I WROTE Fact is that , you dare not provide the reasons and the objectives given by the Jews as instructed by God, where God condems such behaviour as HOMOSEXUALITY , INCEST , BEASTIALITY and SEX OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE , as being sinful ,which defiles the individual and the land....
Tose are the issues in question

So you guys want me to respond to a treacherous question based on your atheists beliefs and I am telling you that I am not foolish and will not play that game and fall into the trap that you have attempted to set.
I will answer the question when it is placed in it's proper context, that being, the reasons given in the Bible,based on God's instructions , not on your atheist beliefs and sense of morality, with which I totally disagree
You know the reasons given by God for condeming such behaviour,as you also know what the objective was for giving those instructions.
Those are the facts that have been intentionally omitted.
List the facts and objectives as given by God as described in the Bible and refute them if you will, then and only then will
I deal with that question, when we are all playing on a level field.
El hijo de Adela no juega ese juego, nada tengo de zangano.......
BTW It is obvious that what you are trying to do is claim that a particular action or actions are immoral, without identifying the reasons and objectives for those actions..
That is pure nonsense and gibberish.
Suppose I killed someone,does that mean that I am moraaly wrong for doing so?
Depends on the reasons/ motives and objectives as to why I committed that act.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#128947 Apr 22, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Where is the extraordinary evidence for your extraordinary claims? I'll even consider ordinary evidence for your extraordinary claims. Is faith in your words all that I need to believe in your world model? In that case, all you require is faith for mine. We know what the jealous and wrathful god of the OT was like, so THIS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in...
is an indication of our progression "to become more and more like our Heavenly Father."
Here's something to consider: ever wonder why some people seem to be born with a talent or skill? They don't even have to try to be proficient? Have you ever wondered why some people seem to know each other though they have never met?
My 3 year old has taken up with an old woman we didn't know that say near us in church and just decided to sit next to her instead of with us one Sunday. She is so shy she barely goes to her grandparents if she hasn't seen them in a few months. But these two have a bond that we can't explain.
Deja vu?

These things all point to an existence before this one

Location hidden

#128948 Apr 22, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>We did not exist before we were conceived.

Why does faith need to be tested when faith is a bad thing?
Our body did not exist, but our spirit did. And it will exist after we die.

Why is faith a bad thing?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128949 Apr 22, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
He's obsessed with atheism.
It's only a matter of time before he ditches his superstition and ju-ju in favour of non-belief.
Funny that you should mention matter of time,since you probably don't even know what time it is....
Prove me wrong What time is it?
Tell me the time and add any sarcastic comments that you wish along with your response
Fact is, you can't even tell time....LOL
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128950 Apr 22, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Surprise?
Don't tell me, you found the newspaper article reporting on me obtaining my doctorate of divinity.
No?
You've decided to base your history on what really happened rather than a song.
No?
You read about my atheist activities when I was four and how I petrol bombed the local sunday school outing.
No?.........Wrong ,Yes.
I found the article which also reports the highest grade you attended during your school years....PRE K

Cambridge, UK

#128951 Apr 22, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that you should mention matter of time,since you probably don't even know what time it is....
Prove me wrong What time is it?
Tell me the time and add any sarcastic comments that you wish along with your response
Fact is, you can't even tell time....LOL
Sure I know what time it is - it's 12:40 pm

Sarcastic?

Me?

Not at all.

Except that I was thinking you're like a slinky: Pointless to look at but you make people smile when you get pushed down the stairs.

Location hidden

#128952 Apr 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Our body did not exist, but our spirit did. And it will exist after we die.
There is no evidence to support this statement.
do whut wrote:
Why is faith a bad thing?
Believing things without evidence, or contrary to evidence, leads to holding false positions and experiencing negative outcomes.

Can you point to any areas of life where believing things without evidence, or contrary to evidence, is a good thing?

Imagine an engineer building a bridge out of a new material. He doesn't know if the material is strong enough to hold the weight of cars crossing it, but he has faith that it does. Is this faith-based reasoning good?

Imagine a man on the street who wants to sell you a magic potion that he says will give you good luck for $100. There is no evidence to support the potion's efficacy. Is it a good idea to have faith and buy the potion?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128953 Apr 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Oh, come now. You can puzzle it out - it's not that difficult.
I thought Bible thumpers were supposed to be the masters of hyperbole, rhetoric, metaphor, simile and analogy?

Cambridge, UK

#128954 Apr 22, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have refused to deal with the issue in question now and are ettemptimg to go on to a totally different issue
You wrote
"Do you feel a tinge of guilt or a strange tug from your human side when you declare your support for
STONING MEN TO DEATH FOR BEING GAYeven if it only in a bygone era? Because that's what I'm getting at. I have no problem understanding the rationale behind such rules in the Bible. But as a modern thinking human being with a moral sense I know better than to accept such rules as being reasonable or necessary. I know it is wrong to stone people to death for their sexual orientation.
You apparently do not know that.
You also seem to think KILLING WOMEN FOR SLEEPING WITH PEOPLE prior to marriage was ok. You strongly suggested it was a "deterrent" to them being sluts or something.
Your moral priorities are being assaulted by your insistence on harmonizing god's strange, contradictory, and often brutal nature. That's what you get when you mash up a barbarian deity with a quasi-new age deity and try to argue they are the same.
I WROTE Fact is that , you dare not provide the reasons and the objectives given by the Jews as instructed by God, where God condems such behaviour as HOMOSEXUALITY , INCEST , BEASTIALITY and SEX OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE , as being sinful ,which defiles the individual and the land....
Tose are the issues in question
So you guys want me to respond to a treacherous question based on your atheists beliefs and I am telling you that I am not foolish and will not play that game and fall into the trap that you have attempted to set.
I will answer the question when it is placed in it's proper context, that being, the reasons given in the Bible,based on God's instructions , not on your atheist beliefs and sense of morality, with which I totally disagree
You know the reasons given by God for condeming such behaviour,as you also know what the objective was for giving those instructions.
Those are the facts that have been intentionally omitted.
List the facts and objectives as given by God as described in the Bible and refute them if you will, then and only then will
I deal with that question, when we are all playing on a level field.
El hijo de Adela no juega ese juego, nada tengo de zangano.......
BTW It is obvious that what you are trying to do is claim that a particular action or actions are immoral, without identifying the reasons and objectives for those actions..
That is pure nonsense and gibberish.
Suppose I killed someone,does that mean that I am moraaly wrong for doing so?
Depends on the reasons/ motives and objectives as to why I committed that act.
Like I said:

Being a Christian means you have to defend:

Slavery
Genocide
Killing homosexuals
Killing people who have sex outside of marriage
Killing people who opt for freedom of religion
Killing brides who aren't virgins on their wedding night
Killing your children if they curse or strike you
Killing people who blaspheme against your god
Killing people who work on a Saturday

and no doubt many more obscenities like this.

Location hidden

#128955 Apr 22, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>He was convicted in New York. From the 1826 court transcript: "And therefore the Court find the Defendant guilty."
http://mormonthink.com/QUOTES/js1826.htm

do whut wrote, "
Most knew he liked to look for Spanish buried treasure, like hundreds of others in that time period. He was a poor, uneducated farm kid, so it's not unusual that he was hoping to find it too.
"

You are not being honest. He was telling other people that he had a magical ability to find treasure with a "seeing stone".

This is not treasure hunting. This is fraud.

do whut wrote, "
If he created 5 copies of the same thing, but Martin's wife altered the first one, she would still say that his additional copies didn't match the first copy.
"

So what? He could simply reproduce another copy and it would prove that Martin's wife was in the wrong.

do whut wrote, "
How is that not a smart move to refuse to translate the book of Lehi again? I think it was the best solution. Why do you not?
"

It doesn't solve the problem and it's a huge red flag. The most reasonable explanation for his behavior is that he *couldn't* make another copy.

do whut wrote, "
About the origins, what? If we all have common ancestors, why do you expect to see differences in DNA now?
"

...because different people have different DNA. Imagine the common ancestor is "Human000". Over time, there is increased diversity. Africans are "Human100", Asians are "Human200", Europeans are "Human300", Semetic people are "Human400", etc

If native Americans are descendents of Semetic peoples (per the Book of Mormon), then their genetics should contain that "4" character. Sioux should be "Human402" or Apache "Human 431".

But NONE of the native Americans have that Semetic background. They have an Asian ("3") background. They're "Human 354" and "Human317".

do whut wrote, "
It was said back in the 1800's that the papyri that the Book of Abraham came from was lost.
"

The papyri (at least some) were found in the 1960s and given to the LDS church.*Nothing on them matches anything in the Book of Abraham.* They are common Egyptian funerary texts. Joseph Smith's translation was completely made up. He didn't know how to decipher hieroglyphics. Again, fraud.
Interesting read on this 1826 trial.
http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/fair-c...

I am not being honest? I've been as open as any believer that I have seen on here. I seek to lead no one astray. Where was I dishonest? Treasure seeking and glass looking was common in those days in that area. Fascination with magic was common too. People had become bored with the uptight lifestyle that had overshadowed the previous century. Joseph was a kid and got caught up in it. He got lucky and found a few things and probably believed this stuff really worked. Same with people that "witch" water today. What's the difference?

Why would he want to be in a place where it is him against Martin's wife? She had several people with her that wanted Joseph stopped. She hated him because her husband was completely sucked in to something she didn't believe. I still say it was the best choice not to retranslate the original 116 pages.

Another interesting link. This one on DNA
http://en.fairmormon.org/DNA

Why would you think the papyri found 130 something years later are the exact ones that Joseph translated?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128956 Apr 22, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a model proselytizer. Someone asks for clarification on a Bible verses and you leaven 'em hanging!? What if you had a chance here to convert me?
What would Jesus think of this? For shame.
Jesus may well chastise me for not following his instructions, which have been more than confirmed as valid on more than several occasions on this forum
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and attack you

Location hidden

#128957 Apr 22, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>There is no evidence to support this statement.

do whut wrote, "
Why is faith a bad thing?"

Believing things without evidence, or contrary to evidence, leads to holding false positions and experiencing negative outcomes.

Can you point to any areas of life where believing things without evidence, or contrary to evidence, is a good thing?

Imagine an engineer building a bridge out of a new material. He doesn't know if the material is strong enough to hold the weight of cars crossing it, but he has faith that it does. Is this faith-based reasoning good?

Imagine a man on the street who wants to sell you a magic potion that he says will give you good luck for $100. There is no evidence to support the potion's efficacy. Is it a good idea to have faith and buy the potion?
Faith leads me to look on the teachings if Jesus Christ which encourages me to offer selfless service to others around me and those in need. This is a bad thing?

Show me evidence against Jesus Christ.

I do not believe in God because there is no evidence. I believe in God because of my personal experiences with Him that has proven His existence and intervention in my life, to me. It is not global evidence that I can hand to another person, but it was localized evidence to me, and me alone, that affected me, and uplifted me, and proved to me that He exists and knows that I exist, and cares to bless me the more I choose to make myself worthy of those blessings.

Potions and man made items are just that: man-made. My faith comes from experiences that had nothing to do with man-made items.

Location hidden

#128958 Apr 22, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, come now. You can puzzle it out - it's not that difficult.
I thought Bible thumpers were supposed to be the masters of hyperbole, rhetoric, metaphor, simile and analogy?
I speak pretty plainly as you have seen on here. So you taking the simple analogy of good fruit from a good tree and turning it in to something else makes no sense to me. Sorry

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128959 Apr 22, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's something to consider: ever wonder why some people seem to be born with a talent or skill? They don't even have to try to be proficient? Have you ever wondered why some people seem to know each other though they have never met?
My 3 year old has taken up with an old woman we didn't know that say near us in church and just decided to sit next to her instead of with us one Sunday. She is so shy she barely goes to her grandparents if she hasn't seen them in a few months. But these two have a bond that we can't explain.
Deja vu?
These things all point to an existence before this one
Maybe it's pheromones. Maybe your 3 year old perceives a facial familiarity or intriguing mannerism that you don't recognize or acknowledge simply because you are not her. These things do not point to mysticism.
I do not claim to know the ins and outs of "the mysteries." That is why they are called "mysteries." On the other hand, you claim to know about previous existence of souls (etc., etc.) when you can't even provide what should be quite ordinary and commonplace evidence of the current existence of any soul at all - unless you believe the Dead Files and Ghost Hunters.... Have you thought about bringing K2 meters and FLIR cameras to church? Let me know how that works out for you.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128960 Apr 22, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I know what time it is - it's 12:40 pm
Sarcastic?
Me?
Not at all.
Except that I was thinking you're like a slinky: Pointless to look at but you make people smile when you get pushed down the stairs.
Glad you could clear that up for me , I am sure that is the time from the place you are posting from
If you were posting from Nottingham Uk the time would be

: London Time ::
Tuesday, Apr 22 2014
7:02:52 PM
: That is the surprise I had in store for ya. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, exactly where in the US are you posting from....
Lalalalala
:

Cambridge, UK

#128961 Apr 22, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus may well chastise me for not following his instructions, which have been more than confirmed as valid on more than several occasions on this forum
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and attack you
"Easter

When Christians convince themselves that someone with the ability to rise from the dead is actually sacrificing something when they die"

Anon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darrel Blevins 2 min Well 13
My Daughter is the Best Daughter in Barbourville 10 min The Specialist 6
What's up with John M. 10 min Just so you know 4
Peggy Jones Job Hunting 47 min Shelia Jones 19
Warren to receive Knox schools JOB ! ! ! 56 min rooter 2
Kenneth Saunders (Dec '15) 57 min Wondering 37
Tongues 1 hr The Specialist 13

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance