Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 161215 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#128675 Apr 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>- He was convicted of fraud after trying to convince people he could find treasure with magic seeing stones. Sound familiar?
- He couldn't reproduce the text he supposedly translated after the first copy was lost.
- His revelations include demonstrably false claims, such as the native Americans being a lost tribe of Israelites. Genetic testing has shown that native Americans have no Semetic heritage.
- Before we could read hieroglyphics, he claimed to be able to translate them and created the 'Book of Abraham". After finding the Rosetta stone, hieroglyphics were decoded and it was realized that Smith's translation was complete nonsense: he was lying.

Lehi wrote, "
and what does that have to do with God's plan of salvation through Christ His Son?"

Nothing, but there's no reason to believe that is true either.
He was like under the age of 13 when he played around with treasure seekers. I told everyone I was Optimus Prime around the same age. Does that mean people should call me a fraud?

He didn't reproduce the text because Jesus told him in a revelation that they would change a few of the words and then say he reproduced it inconsistently and turn people against him.

Genetic testing should be able to prove that we are all ancestors of Adam and Eve. Even if you believe in all of us coming from apes, we should still be related. So how does this disprove anything? Asians, Africans, Indians, Native Americans, Europeans, all of us have common ancestors.

Joseph's translation of papyri that were found has never been proven false. Some of the papyri that was purchased we still have and it contains funerary papers. There were also mummies and pots etc that was purchased. We no longer have the papyri that contained the books that were translated. This doesn't prove it false. This just means we no longer have those pieces of papyri anymore.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128677 Apr 19, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
That will be especially true if he actually did what he was told to do before he tells you about it.
Why would he do that? My son has a good system of ethics and will not help someone else cheat. It would also be really obvious if he was doing double homework for a year or suddenly needed a ride to an SAT testing center for an exam that I didn't sign him up for.
Libertarian wrote:
Guarantee you that that on his record will keep him out of any college that finds out about it -- and somebody in the local public school mafia will be sure that they do.
It wouldn't be on his record, because he wouldn't do it.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128678 Apr 19, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
The treat of devastating lawsuits and loss of business if parents found out that their school was employing such people would compel the private school's stockholders and management to screen them out.
What part of this sentence can you not read and understand?
Again, what basis would the law suit be on? You can't just sue because you do not like something.
I am beginning to wonder if you have any idea how the libertarian ideal even works. I could sell it better than you.
In a society with no public option, some schools would have to lower standards to make prices lower. Some people would accept the sex offenders due to the fact it maybe all they could afford.
The rich today can now pay enough to private schools to keep such people out. So nothing positive changes in your world.

Location hidden

#128679 Apr 19, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
The treat of devastating lawsuits and loss of business if parents found out that their school was employing such people would compel the private school's stockholders and management to screen them out.
What part of this sentence can you not read and understand?
How would they screen them out unless those faculty members had cheated before?

Those same people would be screened out of public schools.

Your reasoning fails. Public schools officials have just as much reason to make sure they're hiring good people as private schools. If they don't, they lose their jobs.

Location hidden

#128680 Apr 19, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I know that the analogy is not literally about fruit, and you should also know that there is a form of arsenic in several kinds of fruit seeds. Do you deny LDS traditionally treat women as second class citizens or that in western LDS communities racism and bigotry is commonplace? Before you do, remember the 9th commandment. Unlike many among the religious I know that reality and myth are not the same thing. Is not looking at your sect through rose colored filters that which you'd call influenced by "the powers of evil"? In case you haven't noticed, rhetoric which forbids open scrutiny and criticism treads close to cult propaganda and behavior.
So just what is that "difference in the world"? By all means, why don't you reveal just how what and how much good the Church of LDS has done with their coffers in comparison to other denominations? As I recall, most of the money is spent on temples and other capital projects specifically and exclusively for the benefit of its own members.
Ah, but don't get me wrong... I'm not picking unfairly on the LDS. Others (such as the JWs) don't do any better.
Google Mormon Helping Hands. Or Mormon humanitarian aid

Location hidden

#128681 Apr 19, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>You like others compare the Mormons with Jehovah's Witnesses when there is no comparison. Where do you get the idea that we are to be compared with LDS?
You can compare anything. You can compare milk with Ford.

Location hidden

#128682 Apr 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He was like under the age of 13 when he played around with treasure seekers. I told everyone I was Optimus Prime around the same age. Does that mean people should call me a fraud?
He was 21 when he was convicted for fraud. He was not playing a game and pretending to be a giant robot; he was bilking people out of money.
do whut wrote:
He didn't reproduce the text because Jesus told him in a revelation that they would change a few of the words and then say he reproduced it inconsistently and turn people against him.
That doesn't make any sense. He could reproduce two copies at separate times to prove that the original had been altered by his opponents.

Not being able to reproduce the original at all is incredibly damning. He didn't reproduce it because he *couldn't*. He was ad-libbing, not translating.
do whut wrote:
Genetic testing should be able to prove that we are all ancestors of Adam and Eve.
Well, no. That's just a myth.
do whut wrote:
Even if you believe in all of us coming from apes, we should still be related. So how does this disprove anything? Asians, Africans, Indians, Native Americans, Europeans, all of us have common ancestors.
Yes, we all have common ancestors, but there are still distinct groups. If native Americans had semetic origins, then they should exhibit semetic DNA. They don't.
do whut wrote:
Joseph's translation of papyri that were found has never been proven false.
Are you kidding me? They're entirely wrong. They have absolutely nothing to do with Abraham.

I think there is literally no evidence that could possibly exist that would convince you Joseph Smith was a fraud.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128683 Apr 19, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Genetic testing should be able to prove that we are all ancestors of Adam and Eve. Even if you believe in all of us coming from apes, we should still be related. So how does this disprove anything? Asians, Africans, Indians, Native Americans, Europeans, all of us have common ancestors.
Joseph's translation of papyri that were found has never been proven false. Some of the papyri that was purchased we still have and it contains funerary papers. There were also mummies and pots etc that was purchased. We no longer have the papyri that contained the books that were translated. This doesn't prove it false. This just means we no longer have those pieces of papyri anymore.
Prior convictions do not prove you are a fraud, but it should be taking into account. And the fact the seer stones were used in both cases should be a strong concern.
If you are convicted for selling outrageous lies, then when you tell an outrageous story using the same tools of the fraud trade, it adds up to doubt.
The fact you guys dismiss this so casually shows me you refuse to use normal skepticism for your religion.

And no one is disputing he had real papyri, the dispute is what he translated it to mean. It was far more than a few words, it was all the words.

And I find it hard to believe Joseph Smiths story would be more rejected if he had the plates. It does not stand up to normal logic.
If he had really translated them with even the remotest accuracy, it would have been strong evidence of the supernatural at work.
And the plates themselves would be speaking for themselves. If the story depends upon Joseph Smith being the focus, then the story is not worthy of what you guys claim.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128684 Apr 19, 2014
Mike D wrote:
<quoted text>Well then I have seen no evidence, so according to you that is why I could not have faith.
If I have evidence of an event, I need no faith to believe it happened.
You can call me names all you wish. It does not help your case.
Mike D, There,I called you a name....
You state that if you had evidence of an event, you need not have faith to believe it happened.
Let me go back to the events surrounging my dog and subsequent events and demonstrate how you need evidence in order to attain genuine faith.Hope not to bore you.
Put yourself in my place.
I was an agnostic
I did everything in my power to find my dog ,including putting an add in the paper and up tp the last day that the add was to appear in the paper,all my efforts were fruitless.
On the Friday that the add was to expire , in desperation ,I went to a local church and prayed to God and Christ that my dog would be returned. I had no reason to believe that my request would be answered, I was hoping that if there is a God,He would answer my request
These events occured berwrrn 8;30 and 9;00 A M.
During that 1/2 hour period of time 4 events took place that aroused my curiosity as to whether they were coincidences.
1) the only one that knew that I was making my requwsts known to God was me.
2) My dog had been lost for about 18 days and the add had been in the paper for 7 days.During that time lady x , whose friend had found my dog , had made no effort nor did it ever cross her mind to attempt to find the dog's owner.
3) On that Friday, for reasons she could not explain, she decided to look in the lost pet section. According to her, she read through the adds in the paper and did not believe that any of the adds fit the description of the lost dog,whom she had seen briefly one time.
How ever, although she did not believe any of the adds applied to the lost dog, she decided that she would call Me anyway. She did not call anyone else.
Why would she or anyone else call if they did nor believe it was the dog in question?
4) She called my home at exactly the time when I was through praying 9;00 am
Now, could all those incidents have occurred by accident? possibly.... Would you automatically dismiss them as accidental,or,would they arouse your curiosity?
Keeping in mind that you had addressed your request to God,whom you really did not believe in.
Mycuriosity was aroused and subsequent events that were beyond my control and for which I could not find an answer led me to humble myself before God and Christ,bringing my request to them with the same results,problem solved.
It is that EVIDENCE that led to my faith. That is why I believe as I do.
The evidence was provided each time and as a result my faith grew ever stronger with each answered request.
It was not difficult to conclude that something or someone was responsible for providing me with the desired results.
The fact is that the prayers were answered within a day after my request was made known to God.....
So,am I to believe that I personally have some unknown power,that when I pray to God
causes my prayers to be answered ,or,is there some other power" God" that answers those prayers?
To me, the evidence has been provided,therefore I believe......
So, mine is not blind faith , I needed evidence in order to establish the foundation for my faith..Such evidence has been provided..........
The evidence is there and I did not dismiss it

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Location hidden

#128685 Apr 19, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever read the Bible, there is your evidence
I'm very familiar with the Bible. It's a neat book. It is evidence that people from 2000-3000 years ago in a particular part of the world told stories and had traditions.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128686 Apr 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I need to film people writing down text? Everyone in the world agrees that the Hebrews wrote those texts.
Permit me to correct your atrocious error , Tis not, Everyone in the world agrees that the Hebrews wrote those texts.

It is everybody in your world , the world of Topix, where a couple of 2 or 3 atheists ,masquerade as many, agrees that the Hebrews wrote those texts.
And you are partially right,the Hebrews wrote those texts,as inspired by God
You must be a twitter Fan , because indubidably , you are a twit
YIkessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssss
Anti-gov

Tˇrshavn, Faroe Islands

#128688 Apr 19, 2014
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
complete brainwash
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128690 Apr 19, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
These Atheists sure are a sick lot.
Good post to illustrate just how perverted and sick they are (all of them)
It certainly appears that when their misdeeds are brought to the Light, they head for the darkness , searching for excuses

Location hidden

#128691 Apr 19, 2014
curious wrote:
Put yourself in my place.
There is only one odd element of your story.
curious wrote:
According to her, she read through the adds in the paper and did not believe that any of the adds fit the description of the lost dog,whom she had seen briefly one time.
How ever, although she did not believe any of the adds applied to the lost dog, she decided that she would call Me anyway. She did not call anyone else.
...why would your ad not fit the description of your dog? That doesn't make any sense.

If someone posted an ad for a lost chihuahua, and my neighbor recently found a labrador, I wouldn't answer that ad. Do you think God told this woman "Hey Lady, that lost chihuahua ad isn't really about a chihuahua. It's about the labrador your neighbor has. Call!"

Location hidden

#128692 Apr 19, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Permit me to correct your atrocious error , Tis not, Everyone in the world agrees that the Hebrews wrote those texts.
No? Who disagrees? Who are the alternative authors?
curious wrote:
And you are partially right,the Hebrews wrote those texts,as inspired by God
That's what I just said.
Libertarian

Cadiz, KY

#128693 Apr 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy. Head to the principle.
<quoted text>
Hi Principle, you better fire this teacher or I'm going to the media and to the district superintendent and you'll be fired too.
<quoted text>
lol, yeah. The teacher, principle, and superintendent are all going to destroy their careers. The superintendent doesn't have anything to gain by one school having a better football record. In fact, he is above the other rival district schools which have the exact opposite interest.
In a big place with many schools under one supt. that might work. Not so in most rural counties in the South. Only one school K-12 in the county.

Location hidden

#128694 Apr 19, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
Geldof is a major league POS worshiped by the atheists.
Uh, since when?

Location hidden

#128695 Apr 19, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
In a big place with many schools under one supt. that might work. Not so in most rural counties in the South. Only one school K-12 in the county.
Then I'll go to the Board of Education.

Your example breaks down anyway. A tiny rural school isn't going to have the kind of major football program that would be prone to abuse.
Libertarian

Cadiz, KY

#128696 Apr 19, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Back in the good old days it might have been easier to do. And back in the good old days, the good old boy system was a very common. But our system puts in mechanisms to help prevent this from happening, and that is why it is so hard to do today.
BTW, the good old boy system still exists in private schools.
Bitching about a particular system is not helping you sell your system, if you cannot show just how your system would prevent this same thing from occurring?
If you are trying to sell a car, tell me what is good about the car, not what sucks about a different car.
You know, back when I was 18 years old I actually believed in the system just like you do. Experience taught me better. Everything that you have suggested we do is exactly what we did do. Except for one thing: My father demanded a public acknowledgement that it had happened.

As to showing how the libertarian free market system will prevent this sort of thing from happening, I don't see any need to.

If an institution is corrupt enough to warrant destruction, as public education certainly is, there is no need to worry about what will take its place. Whatever arises can be no worse, and there is a possibility that it will be better. If nothing arises to take its place, then the institution is not needed and can be done without.
Libertarian

Cadiz, KY

#128698 Apr 19, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I'll go to the Board of Education.
Your example breaks down anyway. A tiny rural school isn't going to have the kind of major football program that would be prone to abuse.
It is apparent you did not grow up in the rural South.

Football is the be all and end all of the school system in most counties.

Board of Education? What a joke. The dumbass football player was the nephew of a Board member!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tommy 19 min Hahaha 1
Sprinkles firing 30 teachers but keeps making j... 33 min Alternate Truths 4
need some to hang drywall (Mar '12) 47 min BCO 6
John Wayne and Amy 1 hr Bitchplease 1
Nobody could ever change my opinion on Relation... 1 hr The Specialist 11
Beer Drinking Contest. 1 hr The Specialist 6
do gauges hurt 1 hr NowUKnow 3
Knox school for knox 7 hr Snatch 31

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web