Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167528 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128447 Apr 17, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
Bible study in public schools should not be an issue -- because there should be no public schools.
"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won’t have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"
--Rev. Jerry Falwell
Great post....
We see the problems Government causes when they get involved!
Now.... to be fare, Satan can have his liberal schools too, and teach
the subjects Satan teaches!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128448 Apr 17, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
This is completely false. Bolshevik rhetoric notwithstanding, there has never been a successful revolution planned, led, and carried out by the underclasses. Revolutions are always, ALWAYS the result and work of a frustrated, inflated middle class in a society that has educated more people to expect a middle class lifestyle (and our middle class now expects an upper class lifestyle) than a stable economy can support at that level.
Slave revolts. Plebian revolts. Peasant revolts. French Revolution. Chinese Revolution. The Arab Spring.

Inequality is the biggest cause of civil unrest. Poor people aren't very happy. Unhappy people will cause problems. It's not complicated.

Tocqueville was writing about this 200 years ago.
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~Hyper/DETOC/ch3_2...

People in the middle class are *comfortable*. They don't want to upset things because they still have a lot to loose. Having a large middle class, and reducing poverty, leads to more stability, not less.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128449 Apr 17, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
]<quoted text>
1)It's a strange fact to state. It strongly suggests you actually think this never happened simply because it isn't written in the Bible as having happened. But it is almost certainly the cast that at some point in the ancient world someone had sex with someone else's goat. That story isn't in the Bible either. Do you think it never happened?
I am not suggesting it never happened , I am suggesting that the law served as a deterrent
Sa far as someone having sex with goats , no reason for me to believe it did not occur then and is occuring now.
Matter of fact , atheist stalwarts such as Peter Singer, Chris Hitchens, Sam Harris and Leonard Krauss condone such behaviour as beastiality
According to Singer , if one finds the act pleasurable , there is nothing wrong with it.
He claimed in a tv Interview that the vagina of asheep is more pleasurable than the vagina of a female human..
That these victims are being raped,there is little doubt , as they are in no position to consent to this type of behaviour
2)Also, it's kind of an offensive point you're making. You are suggesting that allowing a man to kill a woman who he wanted to marry because she had sex with someone else is...a good thing? That's the tone of your argument. There is a heavy handed slut-shaming in the way you discuss this issue.
One issue that the nonbelievers fail to address is' What was the objective of this covenant between God and Israel?
The Israelis agreed to obey the laws contained in the covenant and well understood it's purpose.
3)Do you also think it might be a good idea to stone men who lie with other men? It would be consistent with your stone age thinking.
Based on the Old Testament covenant and it's objectives , although harsh , I would agree
Let us remember that the Israelis agreed to those terms.
Now we have a new covenant , as God promised....
The rock foundation of which is Jesus Christ,as you well know.
The New Covenant is superior to the Old Covenant and replaces the Old Covenant.
That is why Christ , when asked if the woman caght in adultery should be stoned repled, let he who is withouit sin cas the first stone
Great post!
Wicked people do wicked things, and say they've done nothing wrong!
Like Harry Reid, calling stories of Obamacare nightmares "All Lies"... then
saying that he never said that... We've got tape!
ALL kinds of tape containing the Evils of Men!
Yet... they proclaim their Morals are good.... No!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128450 Apr 17, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL That point has been made to me , in the exact same words....Yes it has , In the exact same words... You must think exactly alike...Yikessssssssssssssssss sssssssssss
But , let me throw it back at you.
YOU ensure me daily that the basis for my Faith is well founded..........and..........
I thank you for that..........
So true!
Yes they do, and cannot even see, that thousands of years ago...
The Bible spoke of them!
And they keep on posting....
Amazing!
:-)
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128452 Apr 17, 2014
RealTalk wrote:
<quoted text> My goodness "aWitchintheWoods"! If I was as ugly as you are, I probably wouldn't believe in God either!!! You have a face for radio if I have ever seen one! Put a bag over your face for a change, you hideous old hag!
I've defended your right to make mean remarks.... it's up to you to know when to use that right!
I think her pic is nice, and reminds me of a friend I had, and looks don't make the person!
Think about it.... I notice you are not sporting a picture!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128453 Apr 17, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who's been tricked by Satan.
We'll both know who's right in the end... won't we?
You might want to check out "Heaven is for Real"!
I'm sure you will dismiss it, as you do everything.....
then tell me, I've been deceived!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128454 Apr 17, 2014
Khatru wrote:
I
Christian: The bible is the word of God.
Atheist: How do you know that?
Christian: The bible says it is.
Atheist: How do you know the bible is right?
Christian: Because it is the word of God.
II
Atheist: How do you know humans didn't just make it up?
Christian: Because of the prophecies.
Atheist: The vague generalities that can be interpreted many different ways, or the post-dictions that were written after the events?
Christian: A fool says in his heart there is no God.
III
Atheist: Other religions have holy books too. How do you know that your book is true and the others, such as the Quran, are false?
Christian: The bible has Jesus Christ who died for our sins, and the others do not.
Atheist: The other holy books have their own scenarios for eternal life, how do you know their stories are false while the bible is true.
Christian: A fool says in his heart there is no God.
When God shows up.... kinda ruins theory!
God is real... get to know Him!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128455 Apr 17, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
You said, "Of course. Low-skill jobs like manufacturing are largely GONE. You want a huge portion of our population to prepare for jobs that don't exist."
Those jobs no longer exist because we educated the lowest level of the working base to the point that they will no longer do those jobs for a competitive wage. Those people now been taught that because they have a certain level of education they should expect a "better" job, but they lack the intellect and ability to do anything else. Add in the fact that about 25 percent of all people lack the moral inclination to work more than the bare minimum necessary to survive, and welfare, and you end up with the large non-working welfare class. There are jobs that that class could do, but won't. If that is not true, then why are all the low grade basic labor jobs now done by illegal aliens? Those illegals are not "taking Americans' jobs." They are taking jobs that the lowest class of Americans will no longer do. They will no longer do them because the public schools have taught them that they are too educated to do that kind of work.
Great posts.... Liberals hate Logic!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128456 Apr 17, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Slave revolts. Plebian revolts. Peasant revolts. French Revolution. Chinese Revolution. The Arab Spring.
Inequality is the biggest cause of civil unrest. Poor people aren't very happy. Unhappy people will cause problems. It's not complicated.
People in the middle class are *comfortable*. They don't want to upset things because they still have a lot to loose. Having a large middle class, and reducing poverty, leads to more stability, not less.
So.... your saying that If I want to sit on my butt, I should get the same house a Doctor has????
Obama is doing a GREAT job at making class divisions....

Location hidden

#128458 Apr 17, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>So.... your saying that If I want to sit on my butt, I should get the same house a Doctor has????
Uh, no. I didn't say anything even remotely like that.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128460 Apr 17, 2014
USA wrote:
<quoted text>
How many years have you (ChromiuMan) been debating the plan of satan on Topix, sorry you're on the wrong side.
I'm not superstitious. There is no Satan, no "plan", no "side", no taking donkeys, no parted Red Sea, no plants "created" before the sun, no global flood, no Garden of Eden or Adam and Eve, no virgin birth, no magic reanimation of the dead,....

In any case, according to your own lore it >couldn't< be "Satan's" grand scheme to inflict misery, afflictions and early deaths on the mere mortals and boil vast numbers of human souls in molten sulfur for eternity - it's all Yahweh's implementation of "LOVE." That'll teach us a lesson... By your stories, Satan got humans the understanding of morality and the gift of knowledge - the same things that set us apart from house cats and lap dogs. Satan gave boils and killed what - 11 members of Job's family? Compare that to the 1,700 pages of God's deeds. Go ahead. What side are you on?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128461 Apr 17, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great posts.... Liberals hate Logic!
You don't have any idea what logic is, YaA. All you "know" is what you feel.
The jobs started going away and class division was exacerbated when Reagan was prez.
The mortgage crisis, public debt and bank failures were snowballing when Bush was POTUS. You think that Obama and the liberals are the source of all our woes? Dream on. The fact is, Democrats, Republicans and their Tea Party - along with Obama, Pelosi, McConnell, Boehner, Reid, Romney, the Bushes and just about every DC appointee are owned lock, stock and barrel by the same big money fat cats that are getting fatter while everyone else tightens their belts. What has the house done to create jobs, come up with a workable alternative affordable health plan or fix the tax codes, make Wall Street accountable or incarcerate the crooked bankers that wrecked the economy? NUTHIN'. Just as with "The Health Ranger" and Hagee, whatever you gobble up from Brietbart, Faux news and flag waving "patriots" doesn't mean squat.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128464 Apr 17, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL That point has been made to me , in the exact same words....Yes it has , In the exact same words... You must think exactly alike...Yikessssssssssssssssss sssssssssss
But , let me throw it back at you.
YOU ensure me daily that the basis for my Faith is well founded..........and..........
I thank you for that..........
Of course you can throw that point back at me. Now when are you going to understand the point we made of your obsession? You ignored it yet again. You proved me correct yet again.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128465 Apr 17, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
At best , yours is a lame argument and the differences between what you debate and I debate
can not be compared.
At no time have I ever claimed that atheists do not exist , they are real. What I debate about is not whether you exist or not, I debate what I believe are your erratic beliefs.
Atheists on this forum debate something they believe DOES NOT EXIST.
And if you don't believe in the existence of God, why waste so much toime and energy discussing what you believe to be nonexistent....
Again,I will give you myreasons for this being so... Try as you might and in spite of your denials, that which you claim does not exist is so deeply imbedded in your mind that you can not help but talk abvout God....You can run,but you can't hide..
Didn't work for Jonah , doesn't work for you
At no time have I ever claimed that theists do not exist. What I debate about is your erratic beliefs. That belief is that god exists.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128466 Apr 17, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing my point. As I have already said, "Point is there should not be any tax funded public schools of any kind, religious or otherwise. Education should be delivered by the free market. In a totally free market people who want religious instruction in schools (and conversely do not want their children taught evolution, modern geology, etc. that conflicts with their religious beliefs) would be free to enroll their children in church run religious schools. People who did not want religion taught to their children would be perfectly free to enroll them in a non-religious scientific school that taught those things. Before that freedom to choose can be established tax funded public schools have to be abolished."
Falwell wanted not just his main competition, but all competition, abolished. Abolishing the public schools would do that if, and only if, only church run schools were allowed to take their place. I do not advocate that. No. I am for a free market in which all education is delivered by the competitive free market, not by the state. It is my personal belief that religious education would ultimately prove unable to compete in that free market. If all education was free market, and parents were free to choose whatever kind of education for their children that they wanted and could pay for, the people who lead, who move civilization forward, would choose the scientific schools. Those children would move ahead. The religious people would choose the religious schools for their children. Those children would fall behind in the economic competition. As it became obvious that this was the case, fewer and fewer people would choose the religious schools.
Not sure why you feel I do not understand your point? I know the libertarian ideal, and yours is textbook. But I dispute the ideal would work as claimed. For example, if the educated advanced society, I see no reason it would cause the powerful tool of religious brainwashing to slow. Even religious schools teach enough fundamentals to keep their members educated enough to survive. It may not be the group making all the advances for society, but they will still have the money to buy the things the more educated people make and thus will reap all the advances that the less religious enable. It happens today, and it will continue that way.
Your ideal is built in a dream world of extremes. It acts as if society is not a society, but isolated pockets. Well society builds upon each other, and that is what your ideals fail to account for.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128467 Apr 17, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again I'm reminded why arguing with Fundamentalists is both irritating and a waste of time. I only do this because I actually care about the truth and I hate seeing people drag it through the mud.
You are misinformed and you do not understand the topics you post about. Read the source material and try to lift yourself out of the dogmatic caveman era you seem to be mired in.
NOOOOOOOO, I am not misinformed , their own words condem their behaviour,as you well know ,but can not admit.
Peter Singer, in his own words ,has claimed that beastiality is permissible as long as the animal in question is not harmed and consents to the act.
Pets are in no position to consent nor understand what consent entails.
To have sex with your pet is rape and most certainly the pet is being abused.
Hitchens , in a debate with William Craig , although he tried to avoid answering the question,finally admitted that beastiality was acceptable.
Lawrence Krauss ,in a debate,condoned incest.
Under the excuse that as long as the victim consents , necrophilia has also been condoned.
That excuse is not only immoral , it is laughable for obvious reasons and points to the irrational lengths that atheists will go to in order to justify their decadent morality.
NAMBLA is another example ,founded by atheist homosexuals , they attempt to abolish and weaken our child protection laws..... Those arre facts, not misinformation.....

Location hidden

#128468 Apr 17, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
NOOOOOOOO, I am not misinformed , their own words condem their behaviour,as you well know ,but can not admit.
Peter Singer, in his own words ,has claimed that beastiality is permissible as long as the animal in question is not harmed and consents to the act.
Pets are in no position to consent nor understand what consent entails.
To have sex with your pet is rape and most certainly the pet is being abused.
Hitchens , in a debate with William Craig , although he tried to avoid answering the question,finally admitted that beastiality was acceptable.
Lawrence Krauss ,in a debate,condoned incest.
Under the excuse that as long as the victim consents , necrophilia has also been condoned.
That excuse is not only immoral , it is laughable for obvious reasons and points to the irrational lengths that atheists will go to in order to justify their decadent morality.
NAMBLA is another example ,founded by atheist homosexuals , they attempt to abolish and weaken our child protection laws..... Those arre facts, not misinformation.....
Look at curious attempt to put a spotlight on individual atheists who condone bad things while ignoring the fact that his religion explicitly condoned rape, slavery, and genocide.

I don't follow any other atheists. You follow your religion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128469 Apr 17, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have just posted some inane rantings that are the dumbest thing ever.
You seem to be of the opinion that sex outside of marriage has no adverse consequences on the individual, the family , community or society at large.
That we should all do as we find pleasurable and consequences be damned. No rules are needed or wanted.
Sex at any age , any time ,anywhere with anybody.
Get pregnant , get an abortion , kill the child.
If you give birth and can't support the child , go on welfare and keep having more kids , no father in the house , Kids having kids........
You want unrestricted behaviour in order to fulfill your carnal desires and I understand that , but, it does not make it right..........
That is not what I think at all, but know it is the propaganda you believe of all atheists. Maybe try asking me what I believe instead of just assuming. I asked you and you again refused to answer. I will try again. Do you feel we should have a law that punishes a woman by death penalty for having sex before marriage? You claim it works so well, I am just curious if you feel it appropriate for today?
I do not doubt it does work to some degree, but that does not make it appropriate in my opinion. I just wonder why you seem afraid to tell us your opinion of it being law today?
Are you afraid your answer will show your flaws?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128470 Apr 17, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>At no time have I ever claimed that theists do not exist. What I debate about is your erratic beliefs. That belief is that god exists.
Well, in all your attempts to disprove God's existence have ended in futile failure.
If I am not mistaken , have not you and other atheists on this forum admitted to the pssibility that a God or Gods exists?
It seems that your faith is shaking and on unstable ground..........
Libertarian

Cadiz, KY

#128471 Apr 17, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
With the exception of Haiti, an unusual case because of the fact that it took place on an island on the opposite side of an ocean controlled by the British navy that prevented France from bringing the full force of its military power to bear, there has never been a successful slave revolt. They were all inevitably crushed. Likewise there has never been a successful peasant revolt. The French Revolution was a revolt by the frustrated middle class against the aristocrats. It was not a working class revolt, though socialists and communists tell the lie that it was. The Chinese revolution was a revolt led by people with aspirations to middle class status who could not attain that status and became leaders of the illiterate peasant bandit gangs in the countryside, Mao foremost. They could not have done that if the Chinese government had not been preoccupied fighting Japan. The Arab Spring? It was led and carried out by people who had been educated to expect a middle class lifestyle in an economic structure that could not provide enough jobs for them all. Egypt educated far too many people to to high a level. The government then provided jobs for them - until the expense of doing it became too great. Then the Arab Spring middle class revolt led to an Islamist takeover. The secular government and military then crushed both the would-be middle class and the Islamists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Linsey lancaster 2 hr Tim 10
Iknow who got Ronnie Messer busted!!! (Jan '10) 2 hr UghWhoIsItThen 50
Ashley Couch (Feb '14) 2 hr Ahhh 10
Brenda Mills And Bob Hubbard 4 hr Curious 2
2017 Daniel Boone Fest. 5 hr know it all 19
Wanted: Automatic Transmission for 2002 Chevy S... (Dec '14) 10 hr Chevy man 16
gmo 14 hr gmo 8

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance