Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,845

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128321 Apr 15, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>First... you blew all credulity by referring to " Wikipedia"!
Secondly... The Bible told you that certain things should not be eaten, and
Science changes position on these things daily!
Don't feel too bad, many people suffer from Liberalism!
http://www.ordinarynothing.org/blog/2006/07/h...
No, actually you blew all credibility (again) by attempting to claim a blog entry outweighs the 43 references cited in the Wikipedia article.

The Bible told me that remission from leprosy needs to be spiritually cleansed by splattering bird's blood. The Bible told me that young brides whose hymens are not intact must be killed on their father's doorstep. The Bible told me that plants came before the sun and the entire Earth was submerged to the depth of the highest mountains 4300 years ago. the Bible told me that the Sun stood still. The Bible told me that a donkey could speak to and respond intelligibly with a human. The Bible told me that a man lived for 3 days in a live and swimming fish. The Bible told me not to covet, kill or steal - then the Bible told me of the numerous times that "God" ordained and blessed the Israelites to covet, massacre, rape and loot. Then the Christians tell me to obey or ignore what the Bible says according to how they feel about any particular issue on any given day.

"Science" is not an entity, and has no mind or position to change. It is "The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment:" (Oxford) and the body of knowledge derived from this is not "set in stone."

I had the catfish and shrimp combo from Popeye's a couple days ago - specifically to disobey God and do my part for Liberalism. 0.o
(Okay, that was another liberal lie. I ate it because I was hungry.)

Referring to your article, I didn't say that fruit seeds are deadly, If you eat apricot seeds you will get a tummyache.(Please don't. You already bellyache way too much.) This vein was started over an analogy and I was merely taking it to the next step - that even if the outside looks hale and tasty, the core may be bitter and toxic. Shall we move on to how much fire and brimstone sermons damning everyone outside the walls of those pretty white churches demonstrates "God's Eternal and Boundless Love"?
local

Charleston, WV

#128322 Apr 15, 2014
Well if it's on topix it has to be true right!
cross t-s and dot i-s

Wilmington, DE

#128323 Apr 15, 2014
well,they may ask a question- but most people don't get the answer on topix.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128324 Apr 15, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well , it certainly failed when atheists formed unions with the same purpose in mind.
The fact is that the objectives that the atheist churches hoped to accomplish has been put ,on the back burner..They are now more concerned with demonstrating who believes in God the least... That is now their main focus.
Studies I have posted indicate that some atheists attend church on a regular basis in order to belong to a community that teaches morals and that they can depend on, something that they can not attain in the atheist community.
Have they failed? Only time will tell , however,they certainly are not heading down the path to success........Their primary objectives have become irrelevant........And it is obvious to me why that is
You have failed to show they failed for the reasons you believe. And fact is, they have not all failed.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128325 Apr 15, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
After I was given a testimony of the confirming truth being written on gold back in 1964, it would be 32 years later that I finally found out exactly what the Mormon Church based their beliefs on. Two days later two missionaries on bicycles came to my remotely located house because they said they were prompted to do so, I cried because I was so touched by the spirit.
There is much more to the story but this is the basics, sorry this part was a little confusing, after reading it I agree it was.
My testimony came as a result of a very sincere prayer from a confused little boy who only wanted to know God and exactly what His plan was.
I still get tears in my eyes when I tell this story and have had people drive a long way to hear it.
If you or anyone else ever want to hear the whole story, I will give contact info.
As for "faith", it gives hope to the hopeless, it gives many people a reason to live. I know God lives and I have "faith" He has prepared a place for me.
So you "learned what the church was based upon", how? Again you failed to elaborate one bit.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128326 Apr 15, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You appear to be labouring under the misapprehension that I'm trying to convert people to non-belief.
I've told you numerous times that I really don't care about what people choose to believe.
In fact you know that I really don't mind if you need to nail a dead chicken to your bedpost and dance around it naked while howling at the moon, if it gives meaning and purpose to your life.
I note a trend. All the believers here need no faith as they all claim to have seen evidence. Yet they claim faith is all one needs. They claim faith without evidence is a must.
Contradiction shows the idea as false.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128327 Apr 15, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians can't even agree on what a *true* Christian is and when it comes to which brand of Christianity believes in their god the most, they have shown their willingness to kill each other.
That is the nonsense ,propaganda and misleading information atheists love to spread around in defense of their calamitous faith.....
Bujt let us look further at some facts...If Christianity is so offensive to atheists , why do 20% of atheists attend religious services on a weekly basis?
Why did the atheist church in London organize itself mostly based on the Christian Model and hoping to attain the same benefits that Christians receive as members of their Christian Church?
How many of those who,after accepting Christ as their Saviour, complain of having suicidial tendencies, depression , anxiety , loneliness,feeling abandoned and other maladies.?
On the other hand , those who deconvert are afflicted by those maladies , while those who convert are filled with overwhelming joy.
Given those facts, only one who is a glutton for punishment would choose deconversion over conversion..........
Stick to the topic and do not attempt to deviate with nonsense and gibberish

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128328 Apr 15, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah, you did not make a point, so it did not go over my head , neither did your
your attempt to defend your baseless faith go over my head.
Laws were put in place to deal with promiscuity in order to protect the community against such disastrous behaviour. Everyone knew the rules and the consequences.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time,
When laws are put in place and the punishment for such is clearly stated ,you do not get to pick which laws apply to you and not expect the punishment it entails.to the guilty party.
Nowadays , we have promiscuity on a large scale and the perpetrator is allowed her freedom to continue doing such.
She gets to have an abortion, the innocent child is murdered and she is free to do it again and again.
That is the type of immoral code subscribed to by unbelievers.....
Of course , in the world you live in and based on the immoral behaviour it entails, YOU would see nothing with that.
I often wonder , if abortions were retroactive, how many of you would volunteer to have one performed on you...
So it seems your point is, if it is a law it is a good law? We are well aware it was a law, and for some reason you cannot comprehend our point is, it is an unjust law. You keep failing to show it as a just law. Likely because you have no ability to understand moral reasoning.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128329 Apr 15, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So it seems your point is, if it is a law it is a good law? We are well aware it was a law, and for some reason you cannot comprehend our point is, it is an unjust law. You keep failing to show it as a just law. Likely because you have no ability to understand moral reasoning.
It is an unjust law to atheists,whose reasoning can be encapsulated by Witchettys arrfogant confession" I have never committed an act for which I need feel ashamed"
For those who believe in an immoral code where" anything is permissible based on their personal desires" then to them, any law can be deemed to be immoral.
I have pointed that out on several occasions
Beastiality , necrophelia , incest , abolishing and weakening our child protection laws among others.
And let us not forget the immoral views of one of atheism's most infamous scoundrels
Madelyn Murray O'hair......
has anyone denounced Peter Singer, am Harris and Hitchens for their support of beastiality
Has anyone denounced those who see nothing immoral about necrophelia?
Has anyone denounced Leonard Krauss for his support of incest?
Who has denounced NAMBLA for attempting to abolish our child protection Laws?
Who has denounced M M Ohair?
No one..........and no atheist will..........Although , they will post numerous excuses and avoid dealing with the issue.........

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#128330 Apr 15, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And that shows just how closed your mind is. The god you worship has zero evidence of actually existing, yet you leave absolutely zero room for the possibility you could be wrong.
I see the evidence everyday so it's obviously you that has the "closed mind"

I didn't say I believe, I said "I know" and knowledge takes away all doubt. I know 100% that Christ lives and was sent by His father to implement the plan of salvation. You only want me to say I have less than 100% knowledge so you can feel better about yourself. That's not going to happen with me because I know the truth.

Sorry but just because you have doubts, it doesn't mean anyone else should have.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you "learned what the church was based upon", how? Again you failed to elaborate one bit.
My original post on this subject was in reply to "yes and Amen" but nothing came back from that poster since unless it's one of your sockpuppets.

You are are either not being honest or you have a reading comprehension flaw. I explained it all just as it happened and it really wasn't all that confusing. I agreed it was a little confusing so it wouldn't look so obvious that you have comprehension problems, I'm a nice guy that way.

I should have known better than to put anything personal on here but I was asked a question. I ultimately offered my contact info if anyone wanted to hear more or maybe even come to my home or place of business.

I won't bother you with any truth again.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128331 Apr 15, 2014
Lehi wrote:
I didn't say I believe, I said "I know" and knowledge takes away all doubt. I know 100% that Christ lives and was sent by His father to implement the plan of salvation. You only want me to say I have less than 100% knowledge so you can feel better about yourself. That's not going to happen with me because I know the truth.
You're claiming faith as knowledge, which is especially ridiculous given the obviously fictional nature of the claims you're supporting.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#128332 Apr 15, 2014
This reply was to Mike:
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
<blah, blah, blah nonsense removed>
My original post on this subject was in reply to "yes and Amen" but nothing came back from that poster since unless it's one of your sockpuppets.
You are are either not being honest or you have a reading comprehension flaw. I explained it all just as it happened and it really wasn't all that confusing. I agreed it was a little confusing so it wouldn't look so obvious that you have comprehension problems, I'm a nice guy that way.
<more blah, blah, blah nonsense removed>
You think Mike has a comprehension problem? LOL!
If you could for even one moment think that Yaa was a sockpuppet of Mikes, YOU are the person with comprehension issues, sweetie.

Mike is correct. What you wrote doesn't make sense.
Perhaps in your mind, you have filled in the blanks...but that doesn't work for the rest of us.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128333 Apr 15, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
This reply was to Mike:
<quoted text>
If you could for even one moment think that Yaa was a sockpuppet of Mikes, YOU are the person with comprehension issues, sweetie.
Perhaps in your mind, you have filled in the blanks...but that doesn't work for the rest of us.
Yikessssssssssssssssssss , Witchetty is on the looose, close the doors and bar the windows Mike has beau coup many comprehension problems , but he is not alone.
Add to that ignominous list the names of Pre K , Chroe , Space Cadet , Box and last but not least, youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uu.
It does not work for ya because your minds are blank..........

I apologize if I left any worthy undeserving atheist off the list,

Fly me to the moon
As soon as you tune up your broom
USA

Jamestown, KY

#128334 Apr 15, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually you blew all credibility (again) by attempting to claim a blog entry outweighs the 43 references cited in the Wikipedia article.
The Bible told me that remission from leprosy needs to be spiritually cleansed by splattering bird's blood. The Bible told me that young brides whose hymens are not intact must be killed on their father's doorstep. The Bible told me that plants came before the sun and the entire Earth was submerged to the depth of the highest mountains 4300 years ago. the Bible told me that the Sun stood still. The Bible told me that a donkey could speak to and respond intelligibly with a human. The Bible told me that a man lived for 3 days in a live and swimming fish. The Bible told me not to covet, kill or steal - then the Bible told me of the numerous times that "God" ordained and blessed the Israelites to covet, massacre, rape and loot. Then the Christians tell me to obey or ignore what the Bible says according to how they feel about any particular issue on any given day.
"Science" is not an entity, and has no mind or position to change. It is "The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment:" (Oxford) and the body of knowledge derived from this is not "set in stone."
I had the catfish and shrimp combo from Popeye's a couple days ago - specifically to disobey God and do my part for Liberalism. 0.o
(Okay, that was another liberal lie. I ate it because I was hungry.)
Referring to your article, I didn't say that fruit seeds are deadly, If you eat apricot seeds you will get a tummyache.(Please don't. You already bellyache way too much.) This vein was started over an analogy and I was merely taking it to the next step - that even if the outside looks hale and tasty, the core may be bitter and toxic. Shall we move on to how much fire and brimstone sermons damning everyone outside the walls of those pretty white churches demonstrates "God's Eternal and Boundless Love"?
And your comments tells me your Brain is standing still, and has been for many comments.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128335 Apr 15, 2014
USA wrote:
<quoted text>
And your comments tells me your Brain is standing still, and has been for many comments.
That is not a rebuttal, it is just an empty attempt to insult. Provide a counterpoint or slink away.
ChristWarrior

Benson, NC

#128336 Apr 15, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
This reply was to Mike:
<quoted text>
Putting aside the discussion about sock puppets, YOU should repent for your wicked ways and accept Christ as your savior. It has become very apparent that within the European descended populace here in America that there has been a shift towards Luciferian activities, you being part of that "aWitchintheWoods". You should really look deep inside yourself and ask, "Why do I hate God?" Maybe you were hurt by someone when you were younger, I don't know. I can agree that many so-called Christians have done horrible things throughout history, but TRUE Christianity that teaches for us to "love one another" is a universal code that everyone should abide by. Regardless of what you may think about God and His Son, They still love you and want you to worship them so that you can have eternal life and be in their ever loving presence. In your heart of hearts, knowing who Jesus was and is, how can you deny Jesus Christ, who sacrificed himself in such a excruciatingly painful way so that ALL people, including the worst of sinners, could have a chance to live eternally in the Kingdom of Heaven? You may wonder how you could ever worship a god that has done as many seemingly horrendous things as those found in the Old Testament, but I must tell you that different times call for different measures. The world was once filled with a wickedness that was unredeemable. God often warned these people of the Old Testament that they would suffer if they did not obey His word, but they essentially flipped God off in response. Practicing witchcraft only saddens God since it is worshipping his creation rather than the Creator (God). Concerning the Bible in school, this nation was founded on largely Christian principles, and this nation should be kept as such. There is nothing wrong with schools exposing the students to Christian philosophy, just as long as they do not try to force it down the youth's throats, telling them that they will go to Hell if they do not do everything God says to do.

Location hidden

#128337 Apr 15, 2014
ChristWarrior wrote:
<quoted text> Putting aside the discussion about sock puppets, YOU should repent for your wicked ways and accept Christ as your savior. It has become very apparent that within the European descended populace here in America that there has been a shift towards Luciferian activities, you being part of that "aWitchintheWoods". You should really look deep inside yourself and ask, "Why do I hate God?"
Non-Christians don't hate the Christian god. They don't believe in him at all.

How do you feel about Zeus or Krishna or Allah? Do you hate them?
ChristWarrior wrote:
Regardless of what you may think about God and His Son, They still love you and want you to worship them so that you can have eternal life and be in their ever loving presence.
This is contradictory. In Christian theology, the Christian god is not a loving god nor does he make any reasonable effort to get people to Heaven.
ChristWarrior wrote:
In your heart of hearts, knowing who Jesus was and is, how can you deny Jesus Christ, who sacrificed himself in such a excruciatingly painful way so that ALL people, including the worst of sinners, could have a chance to live eternally in the Kingdom of Heaven?
Jesus was the leader of an apocalyptic Jewish cult. He is now dead.
ChristWarrior wrote:
You may wonder how you could ever worship a god that has done as many seemingly horrendous things as those found in the Old Testament, but I must tell you that different times call for different measures.
"Different times call for different measures" is a piss-poor excuse for genocide, rape, and slavery. Your god is supposed to be omnipotent - he could have changed the times with no effort at all.
ChristWarrior wrote:
Concerning the Bible in school, this nation was founded on largely Christian principles, and this nation should be kept as such. There is nothing wrong with schools exposing the students to Christian philosophy, just as long as they do not try to force it down the youth's throats, telling them that they will go to Hell if they do not do everything God says to do.
A class in comparative religions is perfectly legitimate for a public school. The problem is that Christian dominionists don't want that type of class - they want Christianity pushed on children.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128338 Apr 15, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-Christians don't hate the Christian god. They don't believe in him at all.
How do you feel about Zeus or Krishna or Allah? Do you hate them?
<quoted text>
You do not believe in him at all,however, you can not get Him out of your mind, where He is deeply imbedded
We do not believe in Zeus , Thor or Krishna and do not waste our time debating that which we do not believe in. Our life is not consumed around that which we do not believe in.

This is contradictory. In Christian theology, the Christian god is not a loving god nor does he make any reasonable effort to get people to Heaven.
<quoted text>
Read John 3;16
6 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jesus was the leader of an apocalyptic Jewish cult. He is now dead.
<quoted text>

fixing our attention on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of the faith, who, in view of the joy set before him, endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God

"Different times call for different measures" is a piss-poor excuse for genocide, rape, and slavery. Your god is supposed to be omnipotent - he could have changed the times with no effort at all.
<quoted text>
You are one mish mash of contradictions, and your opinion shows your ignorance , by misrepresenting the facts in order to defend your calamitous faith.
You claim that God does not exist and then claim that He could have changed the times with no effort at all...
Yet, you did not address the issue as to why those events occured

A class in comparative religions is perfectly legitimate for a public school. The problem is that Christian dominionists don't want that type of class - they want Christianity pushed on children.
The problem is that anything that has to do with God causes atheists to be afflicted by many maladies....
Give up your madness and deal with reality.
My God Lives , My God Reigns and Jesus Christ is Lord.
If you want to talk about the dead , let's discuss Chris Hitchens, M M O'hair ,Nietzche ,and Freud among others

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Location hidden

#128339 Apr 15, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That being the case, why are you complaining that you have never been given a good reason to believe in God......?
You do not believe in Him,,,,,,Yet,,,,,,,,,,You can not stop thinking about him..........
You ain't the only one with that problem
That's cute.

I enjoy philosophy, science, and discussions about beliefs. It's one of my favorite topics. I'm fascinated with how people think and why they believe the things they do.

We could reverse this statement back on to you. You seem obsessed with atheism. One begins wonder if your faith is all its cracked up to be.

See how that's not a very interesting or satisfactory argument? Kinda juvenile, really.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Location hidden

#128340 Apr 15, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
As you well know , that rule was based on the Israelis covenant with God , to which they agreed. That type of behaviour leads to severe consecuences
Obviously , that rule was very effective as,to my knowledge, it never had to be exercised.
I do not find in the Old Testament any information alluding to any woman being stoned due to loss of virginity before being married.
Wait a minute...you believe that because the Bible tells no story of a woman being put to death for having had sex prior to wedlock then it didn't happen?

Are you putting forth the argument that ONLY the things actually described in the Bible actually happened??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
diabetic foot (May '09) 36 min Cory Trevor 8
Porsche mills 56 min Prayers 17
Creek mart 1 hr guest 4
hp laptop 2 hr slim 14
Need food badly 3 hr Jennifer 11
Cody Carnes 3 hr gezz 2
city of barbourville 4 hr next time 13
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Mon Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:29 pm PST

Bleacher Report 5:29PM
Hawkins' Statements Prove Life Has Place in NFL
Bleacher Report 6:17 PM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
NBC Sports 4:32 AM
Taylor Lewan wants you to know he's not a "scumbag"
NFL 6:58 AM
Dez Bryant's big night headlines Week 15's awards
Bleacher Report 7:18 AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse