Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 133,399

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128303 Apr 14, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The OT wasn't created to record individual's crimes. Why would you expect to find individual instances of crimes being committed?
In the firat place , the people were all in agreement with the covenant made by God.
They knew the consecuences and agreed to them. voluntarily.
Secondly,you are wrong
"Noah cursed Canaan to be a servant to his brother's servants and a servant to his fathers brothers.(see Curse of Ham)
Lot's wife "became a pillar of salt" when she "looked back" when fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah's destruction.[8]
God killed Onan for depriving his sister-in-law of child by having sex with her with no intention of impregnating her as agreed. After Onan's brother Er died, his father Judah told him to fulfill his duty as a brother-in-law to Tamar, by giving her offspring. Centuries later, in the days of Moses, this practice was formulated into a law of a Levirate marriage, where the brother of the deceased would provide offspring to the childless widow [9] to preserve the family line.[10] However, when Onan had sex with Tamar, he disregarded this principle when he withdrew before climax[11] and "spilled his seed [or semen] on the ground", since any child born would not legally be considered his heir.[12] He was slain for his wickedness.(Genesis 38:3-10)
Just a few..........
hidden truth

Wilmington, DE

#128304 Apr 14, 2014
the truth would help wrote:
one lie has turned a mole hill into a mountain mudslide.
nothing happens by accident.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128305 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
In the firat place , the people were all in agreement with the covenant made by God.
They knew the consecuences and agreed to them. voluntarily.
So a young woman born into Israelite society agreed to all their cultural rules?
curious wrote:
Secondly,you are wrong
"Noah cursed Canaan to be a servant to his brother's servants and a servant to his fathers brothers.(see Curse of Ham)
Lot's wife "became a pillar of salt" when she "looked back" when fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah's destruction.
God killed Onan for depriving his sister-in-law of child by having sex with her with no intention of impregnating her as agreed.
I see my point went over your head. Having a few notable examples of laws being broken does not mean the book lists EVERY crime that has occurred.

If I tell you a story about a society that has laws against murder and then talk about a murder, that it not an indication that it was the only murder that occurred and every other potential murder was successfully deterred by the law.
curious wrote:
Just a few..
Of course just a few. The OT isn't a police blotter or a filing cabinet of public records.

The fact remains: the Israelites murdered women who had premarital sex.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#128306 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
As you well know , that rule was based on the Israelis covenant with God , to which they agreed. That type of behaviour leads to severe consecuences
Obviously , that rule was very effective as,to my knowledge, it never had to be exercised.
I do not find in the Old Testament any information alluding to any woman being stoned due to loss of virginity before being married. " I know full well what part of your response is going to be before you post it"
Let me give my response before hand ... Nonsense and gibberish
JMWNAVWSMJAGBTTS
So , let us contrast God's rule with what was acceptable to one of your own , Madilyn Murray O'hair.
She was of the belief that once a girl reaches 10 years of age , she should be permitted to have sex with whoever and whenever she desired with no interference from ANYONE.
That type of immoral behaviour is a plague on society.Kids having kids ,not all from the same father,who then abandons his children and leaves it up to the government or faith based organizations to provide for them , pay for abortions and leads to alife of misery,poverty andd destruction.
Seems that the threat od stoning prevented many from making these tragic mistales
More deflection

Looks like deflection is something you do a lot when you create such a judgemental, prudish, panty-sniffing god.

Nottingham, UK

#128307 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is a huge difference and you have attempted to completely change the topic.
The discussion centered around what causes depression , suicide and other maladies that afflict atheists to a larger degree than any other group . We were discussing how social networking and community as practiced by believers, of which the main ingredient is belief in God , is totally different from the atheists attempts to emulate that practided by Christian churches.
And I was pointing out how those atheist attempts have failed because they left out the main ingredient.
The atheist church was founded on the basis of attempting to provide the social networking and community to atheists that Christian churches provide for their members..
That was their goal, which they never even gort off the ground , before they started fighting with each other.
Atheists have attempted to provide these same services before, when they tried to form unions and within a few years their efforts fizzled out
The ingredient that makes faith based organizations successful is that they adhere to the techings of Christ . Love your neighbor as yourself. Help the poor, the widow and the orphans, visit those who are in prison.
If someone aks for help , help them.
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
This is what I described , which you failed to address
Stay on topic
(In other words, it is the community and social network that seems to be making the big difference. It is not god.)
Interesr ting indeed.
In 2013 ,Atheists in London founded a church , which in their own words , used much of the foundation employed by Christianity ,except they lefytout the main ingredient ,God.
They were hoping to establish a sense of community ,and social networking ,as Christian do.
If you go back to the Book of Acts, it was based on their belief in God and Christ that brought believers together and from whence this sense of community emanated.
The London church was hoping to emulate the same objectives.
Those efforts quickly disintegrated into a battle as to which church believed in God the least.
London church Vs NYC church.
Back in the 90's atheists had again tried to organize by forming unions , again God was left out . That movement quickly fizzled out.
What makes faith based organizations function as they do, is their belief in God,and they have a sound foundation for their beliefs.
Christians can't even agree on what a *true* Christian is and when it comes to which brand of Christianity believes in their god the most, they have shown their willingness to kill each other.

Nottingham, UK

#128308 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking nonsense;
These are the reasons I mentioned, and as I stated , that is what atheists claim
"Should I believe in God because I fear going to hell, as atheists claim? not a good reason
Should I believe in God because he may have me killed as atheists claim?
not a good reason
Should I take up Pascal's wager in order to believe in God? Not a good reason
And I can go on....All those would FORCE me to believe....I believe by faith and faith can neither be forced on anyone nor can you attain it based on the reasons or opinions given by others..".
Nowhere that I know of , does a Christian church claim any of the above as a reason to believe in God...
That is the propaganda spread by atheists like yourself.
harken to this advice.
Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool , than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt
Except that you claimed to have proof of your god's existence which eliminates the need for faith.

Unless, of course, that *proof* you have isn't really proof at all.

Nottingham, UK

#128309 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your misguided opinion is that our God is in a box canyon of superstition, whereas, you have succeeded in failing to deconvert anyone after all these many years.
For that , I applaud you , as you have saved those whom, in their ignorance, may have deconverted and would have faced many od the maladies that afflict atheists..........
How are you dealing with your dys pepsi a? Have a Coke......not the type you snort , the liquid type
You appear to be labouring under the misapprehension that I'm trying to convert people to non-belief.

I've told you numerous times that I really don't care about what people choose to believe.

In fact you know that I really don't mind if you need to nail a dead chicken to your bedpost and dance around it naked while howling at the moon, if it gives meaning and purpose to your life.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128310 Apr 14, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
So a young woman born into Israelite society agreed to all their cultural rules?
<quoted text>
I see my point went over your head. Having a few notable examples of laws being broken does not mean the book lists EVERY crime that has occurred.
If I tell you a story about a society that has laws against murder and then talk about a murder, that it not an indication that it was the only murder that occurred and every other potential murder was successfully deterred by the law.
<quoted text>
Of course just a few. The OT isn't a police blotter or a filing cabinet of public records.
The fact remains: the Israelites murdered women who had premarital sex.
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah, you did not make a point, so it did not go over my head , neither did your
your attempt to defend your baseless faith go over my head.
Laws were put in place to deal with promiscuity in order to protect the community against such disastrous behaviour. Everyone knew the rules and the consequences.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time,
When laws are put in place and the punishment for such is clearly stated ,you do not get to pick which laws apply to you and not expect the punishment it entails.to the guilty party.
Nowadays , we have promiscuity on a large scale and the perpetrator is allowed her freedom to continue doing such.
She gets to have an abortion, the innocent child is murdered and she is free to do it again and again.
That is the type of immoral code subscribed to by unbelievers.....
Of course , in the world you live in and based on the immoral behaviour it entails, YOU would see nothing with that.
I often wonder , if abortions were retroactive, how many of you would volunteer to have one performed on you...
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128311 Apr 14, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that you claimed to have proof of your god's existence which eliminates the need for faith.
Unless, of course, that *proof* you have isn't really proof at all.
You are a born idiot with no hope ofor a cure. I never made that claim
The only way you can defend your calamitous faith is by lying.
Any faith worth lying for is not worth defending
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128313 Apr 14, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
More deflection
Looks like deflection is something you do a lot when you create such a judgemental, prudish, panty-sniffing god.
You obviously believe in a panty sniffing God .That your bahaviour reflects your beliefs are quite obvious...
Your penchant for sniffing little girls bicycle seats is well known

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128314 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah, you did not make a point, so it did not go over my head
It did. That's why your response was so terrible.
curious wrote:
Laws were put in place to deal with promiscuity in order to protect the community against such disastrous behaviour.
That law was put in place to control women. The ancient Israelites viewed women as little more than property. That's why they practiced sexual slavery (rape).

If the law was meant to prohibit promiscuity, then it would also apply to men. Were Israelite men who had premarital sex executed? No.
curious wrote:
Of course , in the world you live in and based on the immoral behaviour it entails, YOU would see nothing with that.
You believe having premarital sex is immoral, but murdering women is not.

I'd say YOUR views are out of whack, not mine.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#128315 Apr 14, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You appear to be labouring under the misapprehension that I'm trying to convert people to non-belief.
I've told you numerous times that I really don't care about what people choose to believe.
In fact you know that I really don't mind if you need to nail a dead chicken to your bedpost and dance around it naked while howling at the moon, if it gives meaning and purpose to your life.
I am not labouring under any misapprehension. It is you that is labouring under the misapprehension that you are an atheist, then denying your faith by claiming not to be.
You have gone on record as stating that there is a possibility that a God or God's exist.
Your doubts and mental anguish is what keeps you tuned in to topix, looking for someone to provide you a reason to believe in God , whom, try as you may, to deny , you are unable to get Him out of your mind,where He resides.
God and Christ are my spiritual food. and are the ones that give purpose to my life Chickens I eat for my physical nourishment.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128316 Apr 14, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You provided misinformation ,since you failed to adress what I posted.
Here it is again.
"Obviously , that rule was very effective as,to my knowledge, it never had to be exercised.
I do not find in the Old Testament any information alluding to any woman being stoned due to loss of virginity before being married.
In essence , the rule eas put in place, however , it servrd it's purpose ,Deterrence"
There is no record in the Bible where a woman wsa stoned because she was not a virgin at the time of marriage,,,That is the in formation I sought which you ,failed to provide.
Better to keep silent or you know what happens.
You are the one that wrote "Obviously , that rule was very effective as,to my knowledge, it never had to be exercised." You admit to ignorance and confabulate it to support a negation - that is neither a defense nor an excuse.
Deuteronomy 22:20. Plain as the nose on your face.

"13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying,“I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders,“I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said,‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you."

You say that the Bible doesn't mention instances where law was enacted, but that law was in place for thousands of years. You play the Liar for Jesus even worse than YaA does.
spaceship

Roseville, CA

#128317 Apr 14, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>

. I was given a vivid testimony that the confirming truth of Jesus Christ was written on gold and buried on the North American Continent. It would be 32 years later before I heard of the gold plates and the Book of Mormon. I was very excited at this and wondered how I could ever get a copy of the Book of Mormon, two days later two missionaries from the LDS Church knocked on my door. They said the spirit had strongly prompted them to come all the way to the end of a road they had been down many times but thought no one would live in such a remote location.
I don't believe you. Story sound similar to the one Joesph Smith makes up.

My story.

I went with a friend of mine to a house to look at a car for sale. Some how the conversation turn to the man saying he was a Mormon . The Mormon wanted us both to see something he would bring out. It was a wand that he took out of a wood box and set it on the coffee table. He ask us both to look upon it and tell us what we have seen. After looking upon it I saw nothing, my friend though appeared to be shaken by what he saw. Later after leaving and losing interest in buying the car, my friend ask if I had seen what he saw on the coffee table. I replied, I saw nothing unusual. Why are your asking? He said the wand turned into a snake. Was he lying, was this a joke? Later in that year my friend had joined a Scientology cult.

Buy a clue.
Bbbbbb

Hazard, KY

#128318 Apr 14, 2014
Tell them the truth
Yes and Amen

Clay City, KY

#128319 Apr 15, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Toxicity of Amygdalin from Wikipedia... Which I'm certain you'll poo-poo even though you can see that I included the relevant list of references.
And then there's:
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsand...
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/la...
Natural Health News, Mike Adams, "the Health Ranger" and Truth Publishing International, ltd, Taiwan versus documented research and every major cancer research organization on Earth? Hmm... You back the staunch political conservative Mike Adams over an encyclopedia article that has no less than 43 references? Hmm...
How freakishly strange do you have to be to support eating cyanide regularly because you think the Bible tells you to?
First... you blew all credulity by referring to " Wikipedia"!
Secondly... The Bible told you that certain things should not be eaten, and
Science changes position on these things daily!
Don't feel too bad, many people suffer from Liberalism!

http://www.ordinarynothing.org/blog/2006/07/h...
cross t-s and dot i-s

Wilmington, DE

#128320 Apr 15, 2014
One says it has to be true the other one won't answer.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128321 Apr 15, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>First... you blew all credulity by referring to " Wikipedia"!
Secondly... The Bible told you that certain things should not be eaten, and
Science changes position on these things daily!
Don't feel too bad, many people suffer from Liberalism!
http://www.ordinarynothing.org/blog/2006/07/h...
No, actually you blew all credibility (again) by attempting to claim a blog entry outweighs the 43 references cited in the Wikipedia article.

The Bible told me that remission from leprosy needs to be spiritually cleansed by splattering bird's blood. The Bible told me that young brides whose hymens are not intact must be killed on their father's doorstep. The Bible told me that plants came before the sun and the entire Earth was submerged to the depth of the highest mountains 4300 years ago. the Bible told me that the Sun stood still. The Bible told me that a donkey could speak to and respond intelligibly with a human. The Bible told me that a man lived for 3 days in a live and swimming fish. The Bible told me not to covet, kill or steal - then the Bible told me of the numerous times that "God" ordained and blessed the Israelites to covet, massacre, rape and loot. Then the Christians tell me to obey or ignore what the Bible says according to how they feel about any particular issue on any given day.

"Science" is not an entity, and has no mind or position to change. It is "The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment:" (Oxford) and the body of knowledge derived from this is not "set in stone."

I had the catfish and shrimp combo from Popeye's a couple days ago - specifically to disobey God and do my part for Liberalism. 0.o
(Okay, that was another liberal lie. I ate it because I was hungry.)

Referring to your article, I didn't say that fruit seeds are deadly, If you eat apricot seeds you will get a tummyache.(Please don't. You already bellyache way too much.) This vein was started over an analogy and I was merely taking it to the next step - that even if the outside looks hale and tasty, the core may be bitter and toxic. Shall we move on to how much fire and brimstone sermons damning everyone outside the walls of those pretty white churches demonstrates "God's Eternal and Boundless Love"?
local

Charleston, WV

#128322 Apr 15, 2014
Well if it's on topix it has to be true right!
cross t-s and dot i-s

Wilmington, DE

#128323 Apr 15, 2014
well,they may ask a question- but most people don't get the answer on topix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote Dry send our Money to Corbin !?!?!? 19 min Interested person 2
New wet vote petition started today please sign... 27 min Interested person 12
WET vote supported by Artemus church deacon 2 hr I wonder 2
Where to sign WET petition ?"??? 2 hr Dude 3
looking to buy a electric fence charger 3 hr beans 1
Keep our town DRY 5 hr Crack Kills 17
barbourville street department seen on I75 5 hr resident 10
dinky phipps 7 hr literally 31
Romeo's Italian Resturant 7 hr Boozer 8
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Thu marsh 55