Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 178087 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128383 Apr 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>This point has been made to Curious many times, yet he ignores it. So the ignoring part is clearly the way his brain works. It is the denial thing that psychologists say is the key to believing in things that are not real. It is delusion. Pretty text book stuff. Curious ensures me daily that the experts are correct.
LOL That point has been made to me , in the exact same words....Yes it has , In the exact same words... You must think exactly alike...Yikessssssssssssssssss sssssssssss
But , let me throw it back at you.
YOU ensure me daily that the basis for my Faith is well founded..........and..........
I thank you for that..........
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128384 Apr 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course others have claimed you are obsessed with atheism. You post about atheism daily. It is pretty much all you talk about here. So simply claiming you are not obsessed does not make it so. It makes you in denial of a fact that has mounds of evidence.
At best , yours is a lame argument and the differences between what you debate and I debate
can not be compared.
At no time have I ever claimed that atheists do not exist , they are real. What I debate about is not whether you exist or not, I debate what I believe are your erratic beliefs.
Atheists on this forum debate something they believe DOES NOT EXIST.
And if you don't believe in the existence of God, why waste so much toime and energy discussing what you believe to be nonexistent....
Again,I will give you myreasons for this being so... Try as you might and in spite of your denials, that which you claim does not exist is so deeply imbedded in your mind that you can not help but talk abvout God....You can run,but you can't hide..
Didn't work for Jonah , doesn't work for you
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#128385 Apr 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course such a system would have made Jerry even more rich. So the statement seems a little biased. He wanted his main competition abolished.
Of course he wishes for only schools that make profit.
You are missing my point. As I have already said, "Point is there should not be any tax funded public schools of any kind, religious or otherwise. Education should be delivered by the free market. In a totally free market people who want religious instruction in schools (and conversely do not want their children taught evolution, modern geology, etc. that conflicts with their religious beliefs) would be free to enroll their children in church run religious schools. People who did not want religion taught to their children would be perfectly free to enroll them in a non-religious scientific school that taught those things. Before that freedom to choose can be established tax funded public schools have to be abolished."

Falwell wanted not just his main competition, but all competition, abolished. Abolishing the public schools would do that if, and only if, only church run schools were allowed to take their place. I do not advocate that. No. I am for a free market in which all education is delivered by the competitive free market, not by the state. It is my personal belief that religious education would ultimately prove unable to compete in that free market. If all education was free market, and parents were free to choose whatever kind of education for their children that they wanted and could pay for, the people who lead, who move civilization forward, would choose the scientific schools. Those children would move ahead. The religious people would choose the religious schools for their children. Those children would fall behind in the economic competition. As it became obvious that this was the case, fewer and fewer people would choose the religious schools.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128386 Apr 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So your logic for a law being just is, it worked to deter? Well then you may as well put a penalty of death for any crime, as it probably would deter more. But of course that would be the dumbest darn thing ever. Yet that is your reasoning. The dumbest thing ever.
Then you turn and act as if the punishment was never carried out? Are you trying to say no one ever had sex before marriage after the law was made? Well to believe that would be the dumbest thing ever.
If you think this works so well, why not threaten your kids with death for breaking rules, or having sex before marriage? I am sure you would not because it would be the dumbest thing ever.
What I am saying is that the bible has rules that are the dumbest thing ever. Yet you believe they are of a perfect moral god. This contradiction is what keeps me from believing your god is real. It is clearly just a made up god, that men of power used to help them control the people.
You have just posted some inane rantings that are the dumbest thing ever.
You seem to be of the opinion that sex outside of marriage has no adverse consequences on the individual, the family , community or society at large.
That we should all do as we find pleasurable and consequences be damned. No rules are needed or wanted.
Sex at any age , any time ,anywhere with anybody.
Get pregnant , get an abortion , kill the child.
If you give birth and can't support the child , go on welfare and keep having more kids , no father in the house , Kids having kids........
You want unrestricted behaviour in order to fulfill your carnal desires and I understand that , but, it does not make it right..........
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128387 Apr 16, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have the written criminal records for centuries of ancient Hebrew society?
No? Then your "fact" is irrelevant. I don't have stat sheets for any of my son's basketball games. That doesn't mean no one scored any points or grabbed any rebounds.
No I don't have the record and it is rather odd that you look to the Bible for evidence only when you find it convenient to misquote it.
If there was evidence you would merely dismiss it out of convenience....
Put your comments into the circular file
BTW , Did not know you had a son that played basketball

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#128388 Apr 16, 2014
The truth is there at all times -whether or not we recognize it-but unless we know the truth, and apply it,truth itself is powerless.It is knowing the truth, and then applying it,that sets us free.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128389 Apr 16, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The malady is yours, curious. It's called delusion.
Hardly think so , as it is the atheists themselves who confess to being so afflicted
Dyspepsia , lonely , abandoned , depressed , mental anguish.and in denial.....Need I go on?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128390 Apr 16, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
Point is there should not be any tax funded public schools of any kind, religious or otherwise.
Education should be delivered by the free market.
So that a large portion of the population can't get a good education and is stuck with little to no economic mobility or opportunities? Sounds like a recipe for a great society.
Libertarian wrote:
In a totally free market people who want religious instruction in schools (and conversely do not want their children taught evolution, modern geology, etc. that conflicts with their religious beliefs) would be free to enroll their children in church run religious schools.
People are already free to enroll their children in religious schools if science is a problem for them. We shouldn't aim for a society where many children are taught to reject science.

Location hidden

#128391 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't have the record
Then your point is moot. You cannot tell us that the law was never actually broken or the punishment made when you have no records.
curious wrote:
and it is rather odd that you look to the Bible for evidence only when you find it convenient to misquote it.
I don't misquote the Bible.
curious wrote:
If there was evidence you would merely dismiss it out of convenience.
That's your game, not mine.
KarlMarxthespot

Louisburg, NC

#128392 Apr 16, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah has a similar base mythology as the Christian god, but is not the same god. In any event, you didn't answer my question. Do you hate the gods you do not believe in, like Zeus or Krishna?
<quoted text>
I disagree. That story does not show love, but cruelty. The torture and sacrifice of an innocent person was completely unnecessary, and therefore cruel.
To elaborate on my earlier point, any god who was real and wanted people to know him/her/it would make their presence apparent. They would not be hidden, as all gods are. This is a strong indicator that such gods do not exist.
<quoted text>
Did you just compare unarmed women and children to rabid dogs? Your excuses for genocide don't work.
Furthermore, how do you justify the allowance of rape by Israelite soldiers? Do you have to rape rabid dogs?
Gabriel, the arch angel in the Bible, is the one that instructed Muhammad in the Quran. Gabriel is of the same God, therefore, Allah is the same God as the biblical one. I do not hate Zeus or Krishna, for they are misinterpreted versions of the same God. Christ's suffering was cruel, but it was to show what God was willing to do to save mankind. Also, how in the hell do you know what God would do or not do??? He has given us all the materials that we need to survive. He has given us a planet that has all the needed nutrition and shelter. Mankind should stop whining and realize that the pain that they go through is largely brought upon themselves by their own actions. And NO I did not compare unarmed women and children to rabid dogs. I am just saying it is the same concept. Put your emotions aside for once and take in the Truth. I do not understand why you suggest raping rabid dogs, maybe that is your own inner desire to do so coming out for the world to see, but I will concede to you on this, I believe that it was man's decision to rape these women, not God's decision. Why God didn't stop them, I don't know. Maybe he was giving others the chance to prevent it from happening. Although God did innitiate many seemingly horrendous things upon mankind in the Old Testament, I believe that many of the so-called laws and actions taken by man in the Old Testament were not of divine origin. The version of God that I mainly focus on resides in the New Testament, although the Old Testament has its truths as well.
ChristWarrior

Louisburg, NC

#128393 Apr 16, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
So they "asked for it?" You are one sick puppy.
<quoted text>
Oh yes, I can see how "loving" your "god" is.
<quoted text>
Anti-Semitic. How interesting.
<quoted text>
That's "Revelation," bright boy....not "RevelationS."
<quoted text>
Sounds like you agree with Hitler's "solution."
You are disgusting.
Yes, in most cases they did. Different times call for different measures, so yes, God is still loving! And anytime someone brings up the truth about "Jews", please don't play say such an easy card as the anti-semite one. It just shows that you have already lost the arguement. I happen to have Jewish friends, for your information. I also have atheist friends, muslim, agnostic friends as well. Revelation has REVELATIONS in the plural! And as far as Hitler goes, he was sent by God to deliver the Jews back to Israel. He started out by deporting them to the Canaanite territory, but he turned away from God and eventually began killing them. Know your History before you start throwing around names. Truth is not sick, it just hurts at times. Get used to it and accept it.
ChristWarrior

Louisburg, NC

#128394 Apr 16, 2014
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
<quoted text> Gabriel, the arch angel in the Bible, is the one that instructed Muhammad in the Quran. Gabriel is of the same God, therefore, Allah is the same God as the biblical one. I do not hate Zeus or Krishna, for they are misinterpreted versions of the same God. Christ's suffering was cruel, but it was to show what God was willing to do to save mankind. Also, how in the hell do you know what God would do or not do??? He has given us all the materials that we need to survive. He has given us a planet that has all the needed nutrition and shelter. Mankind should stop whining and realize that the pain that they go through is largely brought upon themselves by their own actions. And NO I did not compare unarmed women and children to rabid dogs. I am just saying it is the same concept. Put your emotions aside for once and take in the Truth. I do not understand why you suggest raping rabid dogs, maybe that is your own inner desire to do so coming out for the world to see, but I will concede to you on this, I believe that it was man's decision to rape these women, not God's decision. Why God didn't stop them, I don't know. Maybe he was giving others the chance to prevent it from happening. Although God did innitiate many seemingly horrendous things upon mankind in the Old Testament, I believe that many of the so-called laws and actions taken by man in the Old Testament were not of divine origin. The version of God that I mainly focus on resides in the New Testament, although the Old Testament has its truths as well.
This is ChristWarrior that posted under KarlMarxthespot. That was a name I was using for another post on this website.

Location hidden

#128395 Apr 16, 2014
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
<quoted text> Gabriel, the arch angel in the Bible, is the one that instructed Muhammad in the Quran. Gabriel is of the same God, therefore, Allah is the same God as the biblical one. I do not hate Zeus or Krishna, for they are misinterpreted versions of the same God.
They are completely different gods. But thank you for proving my point that people do not "hate" gods they don't believe in.
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
Christ's suffering was cruel, but it was to show what God was willing to do to save mankind.
He was willing to pointlessly suffer for 3 days in order to save mankind...from himself? Utter nonsense.

It is like a mugger holding a gun to your head and then he decides to shoot his brother in the foot instead of shooting you in the head. What an amazing act of love! No, it's an act of lunacy. Completely pointless and cruel.
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
Also, how in the hell do you know what God would do or not do?
The Christian god is supposed to be an intelligent being, no? Shouldn't his decisions be intelligent, rather than completely irrational and inefficient?

If you were a god, and you had the most important message to deliver to all the people of Earth, how would you deliver it? Perhaps you'd have your face appear in the sky all across Earth and talk to every person. That would be pretty effective, right?

Or would you rather turn into a human being, hang out with people for a short period of time, and have the message slowly be spread by word of mouth, taking thousands of years to reach around the world through a contradictory, error-filled, and silly book that no one has any reason to believe is true?
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
And NO I did not compare unarmed women and children to rabid dogs. I am just saying it is the same concept.
If you're saying it's the same concept, then you're comparing them. You'd have to kill rabid dogs to defend yourself. You'd never have to kill unarmed women and children to defend yourself.
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
I do not understand why you suggest raping rabid dogs,
The Hebrew god specifically authorized the Israelites to forcibly marry and rape any women they captured in battle.
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
I believe that it was man's decision to rape these women, not God's decision. Why God didn't stop them, I don't know.
Because the OT god views women as property. It's not rocket science.
KarlMarxthespot wrote:
The version of God that I mainly focus on resides in the New Testament, although the Old Testament has its truths as well.
If the OT has mistakes in it, why didn't Jesus clear those up?

"Hey guys, you know all the stuff about slavery and mistreating women? That shouldn't be in there. I was never okay with that. Please edit it out."
RealTalk

Louisburg, NC

#128396 Apr 16, 2014
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
So they "asked for it?" You are one sick puppy.
<quoted text>
Oh yes, I can see how "loving" your "god" is.
<quoted text>
Anti-Semitic. How interesting.
<quoted text>
That's "Revelation," bright boy....not "RevelationS."
<quoted text>
Sounds like you agree with Hitler's "solution."
You are disgusting.
My goodness "aWitchintheWoods"! If I was as ugly as you are, I probably wouldn't believe in God either!!! You have a face for radio if I have ever seen one! Put a bag over your face for a change, you hideous old hag!

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#128397 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a born idiot with no hope ofor a cure. I never made that claim
The only way you can defend your calamitous faith is by lying.
Any faith worth lying for is not worth defending
You really shouldn't lie the way you do

You know it makes the baby Jesus cry.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128398 Apr 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you dismiss all concerns any atheist ever has about a law being just or not simply due to one persons claims about being ashamed or not?
This is the height of bigotry.
And yes, I recall many atheists here condemning many of the things you cited. So why lie for your agenda?
If American laws were based upon the laws of the OT, you would call them unjust I would think. Well that just shows your double standards. They are unjust laws, and you are not using a consistent standard for your dispute. In fact, your only dispute is, we are atheists. You have failed to show us why the laws were just. You simply divert using bigotry.
1) who="Mike Duquette"]<quoted text>So you dismiss all concerns any atheist ever has about a law being just or not simply due to one persons claims about being ashamed or not?
This is the height of bigotry.
So, Witchetty was arrogant, self righteous and misinformed when she made her absurd ans self serving claim.....I agree

2)And yes, I recall many atheists here condemning many of the things you cited. So why lie for your agenda?

And you claim to recall many atheists condeming many of the things I cited , which you did not mention
Peter Singer ,Hitchens , Harris and Krauss all condone beastiality and Krauss condoens sex between siblings....Maybe missed it....Where did any atheist state that those types of behaviour are reprehensible ,at best and where did they make th claim that these individuals were completely off base on their opinions
Where did ant atheist condem the views of MM O'hair as being immoral?
And who were these Atheists,? I ask the question because as of late , every atheist on this
forum has renounced their faith and now claim the possibility of the existence ogf God or Gode... PreK now describes himself as a secular humanist. Have you not proclaimed the possible existence of a God?
If American laws were based upon the laws of the OT, you would call them unjust I would think. Well that just shows your double standards. They are unjust laws, and you are not using a consistent standard for your dispute. In fact, your only dispute is, we are atheists. You have failed to show us why the laws were just. You simply divert using bigotry.

American Laws are not based on the same objectives as those of the Old Testament.
Do you know what the objective was in the Old Testament and why it was an agreement between God and the Israelis only? I am sure you do ,however, you never mention it.
You simply divert in an effort to defend your faith which you now deny...

Cambridge, UK

#128399 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not labouring under any misapprehension. It is you that is labouring under the misapprehension that you are an atheist, then denying your faith by claiming not to be.
You have gone on record as stating that there is a possibility that a God or God's exist.
Your doubts and mental anguish is what keeps you tuned in to topix, looking for someone to provide you a reason to believe in God , whom, try as you may, to deny , you are unable to get Him out of your mind,where He resides.
God and Christ are my spiritual food. and are the ones that give purpose to my life Chickens I eat for my physical nourishment.
Your misapprehension starts at the very beginning when you insist that the universe was created by magic.

Cambridge, UK

#128400 Apr 16, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I note a trend. All the believers here need no faith as they all claim to have seen evidence. Yet they claim faith is all one needs. They claim faith without evidence is a must.
Contradiction shows the idea as false.
Spot on

Contradiction - thy name be faith!

Cambridge, UK

#128401 Apr 16, 2014
I said....
Khatru wrote:
Christians can't even agree on what a *true* Christian is
You said....
curious wrote:
That is the nonsense
I see

By your reckoning, Christians are agreed about what a *true* Christian is.

Right you are then.

Carry on.
ChristWarrior

Louisburg, NC

#128402 Apr 16, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
They are completely different gods. But thank you for proving my point that people do not "hate" gods they don't believe in.
<quoted text>
He was willing to pointlessly suffer for 3 days in order to save mankind...from himself? Utter nonsense.
It is like a mugger holding a gun to your head and then he decides to shoot his brother in the foot instead of shooting you in the head. What an amazing act of love! No, it's an act of lunacy. Completely pointless and cruel.
<quoted text>
The Christian god is supposed to be an intelligent being, no? Shouldn't his decisions be intelligent, rather than completely irrational and inefficient?
If you were a god, and you had the most important message to deliver to all the people of Earth, how would you deliver it? Perhaps you'd have your face appear in the sky all across Earth and talk to every person. That would be pretty effective, right?
Or would you rather turn into a human being, hang out with people for a short period of time, and have the message slowly be spread by word of mouth, taking thousands of years to reach around the world through a contradictory, error-filled, and silly book that no one has any reason to believe is true?
<quoted text>
If you're saying it's the same concept, then you're comparing them. You'd have to kill rabid dogs to defend yourself. You'd never have to kill unarmed women and children to defend yourself.
<quoted text>
The Hebrew god specifically authorized the Israelites to forcibly marry and rape any women they captured in battle.
<quoted text>
Because the OT god views women as property. It's not rocket science.
<quoted text>
If the OT has mistakes in it, why didn't Jesus clear those up?
"Hey guys, you know all the stuff about slavery and mistreating women? That shouldn't be in there. I was never okay with that. Please edit it out."
I proved that God and Allah are the same in my post! Stop your lying. Your intelligence and my intelligence are on a far lower conciousness level than that of God's, so what you or I would do as a god is irellavent. Christ's suffering shows even more that God loves us tremendously, not that he is insane. Also, Christ had the chance to let the angels take according to the Bible, but out of love He died for us. If I were to say that a person falling from a rooftop was like an apple falling from a tree, I am not suggesting that you could bite into that human and taste sweet juice and fruit nor am I implying that you could give an apple a job as a bus driver. But my analogy is still correct, because they are both falling objects. Maybe the women of the Old Testament were asking to be raped due to their own actions and support of the enemies of God, as offensive as that may sound. Also, Jesus did clear it up for us! He said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is *** Sidney Smith *** a murderer? 3 min Hmm... 12
Satan & God's armies... 32 min Red Arts 9
JOHN SLUSHER and his day of reckoning (Jun '12) 2 hr Lollipop lover 45
Topix giving IP address 4 hr Weird 3
well pump 8 hr carl 1
Crazy women 11 hr Red Arts 14
you hear about this 12 hr Ms Me 13
New jail 15 hr funny one 28

Barbourville Jobs

Personal Finance