Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 177393 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128363 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that anything that has to do with God causes atheists to be afflicted by many maladies....
The malady is yours, curious. It's called delusion.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128364 Apr 16, 2014
Isaiah 53

53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the
LORD revealed?
53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a
root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and
when we shall see him,[there is] no beauty that we should
desire him.
53:3 He is despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and
acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from
him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows:
yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.
53:5 But he [was] wounded for our transgression,[he was]
bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was]
upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every
one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity
of us all.
53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not
his mouth; he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a
sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.
53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall
declare his generation? for he was cut off from the land of the
living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in
his death: because he had done no violence, neither [was any]
deceit in his mouth.
53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him]
to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he
shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the
pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul,[and] shall be
satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify
many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
53:12 Therefore I will divide to him [a portion] with the great,
and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath
poured out his soul to death: and he was numbered with the
transgressors; and he bore the sin of many, and made
intercession for the transgressors.

Thank you Father for your Son Jesus the Christ!
Amen!
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#128365 Apr 16, 2014
Bible study in public schools should not be an issue -- because there should be no public schools.

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won’t have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"

--Rev. Jerry Falwell

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128366 Apr 16, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
Bible study in public schools should not be an issue -- because there should be no public schools.
There should be public schools. An educated populace is more productive and less violent.
Libertarian wrote:
"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won’t have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"
--Rev. Jerry Falwell
Luckily, he's dead and that never happened. Christians already run most public schools; they're just not allowed to indoctrinate students with their mythology.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#128367 Apr 16, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>43, or 433... don't matter... Still "Wikipedia".... we know it's mostly Liberal garb!
I also know.... God saved me, and He can save you too!
Amazing, but TRUE!
Have a Great day!
an encyclopedia is trumped by an idiot blogger - especially if he's a conservative evangelist parrot...
whatever, clown.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#128368 Apr 16, 2014
ChristWarrior wrote:
<quoted text> The people of the Old Testament unfortunately asked for God's wrath to be pressed onto them.
So they "asked for it?" You are one sick puppy.
ChristWarrior wrote:
<quoted text> We are all lucky that He has not massacred any of us today for our constant thumbing of the nose at Him.
Oh yes, I can see how "loving" your "god" is.
ChristWarrior wrote:
<quoted text> The only cult that was practiced in Christ's time was the form of Judaism that led to His death on the cross. These Jews were godless and worshiped the Earth and money instead of worshipping the true god, Jehovah. These type of Jews are still around today, making up the majority of the Jewish population.
Anti-Semitic. How interesting.
ChristWarrior wrote:
<quoted text> In Revelations 2:9, and 3:9, you will see that ...blah, blah, blah..full of hate>
That's "Revelation," bright boy....not "RevelationS."
ChristWarrior wrote:
<quoted text> these Jews are of the Synagogue of Satan, for they are false Jews religiously and in many cases today, ethnically. The ovens that Hitler had for them in the Holocaust are nothing compared to the ones that God has prepared for them in Hell. This is unfortunate and sad, but true. Luckily for one third of the Jewish population, however, these Jews will see the error of their ways at the end of time, convert to Christianity, and God will forgive them. Praise be to God!
Sounds like you agree with Hitler's "solution."
You are disgusting.
Angie

Deerfield Beach, FL

#128369 Apr 16, 2014
Indoctrination should NOT be a part of the public school system! This is absolutely unacceptable. Separation of church and state!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128370 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an unjust law to atheists,whose reasoning can be encapsulated by Witchettys arrfogant confession" I have never committed an act for which I need feel ashamed"
For those who believe in an immoral code where" anything is permissible based on their personal desires" then to them, any law can be deemed to be immoral.
I have pointed that out on several occasions
Beastiality , necrophelia , incest , abolishing and weakening our child protection laws among others.
And let us not forget the immoral views of one of atheism's most infamous scoundrels
Madelyn Murray O'hair......
has anyone denounced Peter Singer, am Harris and Hitchens for their support of beastiality
Has anyone denounced those who see nothing immoral about necrophelia?
Has anyone denounced Leonard Krauss for his support of incest?
Who has denounced NAMBLA for attempting to abolish our child protection Laws?
Who has denounced M M Ohair?
No one..........and no atheist will..........Although , they will post numerous excuses and avoid dealing with the issue.........
So you dismiss all concerns any atheist ever has about a law being just or not simply due to one persons claims about being ashamed or not?
This is the height of bigotry.
And yes, I recall many atheists here condemning many of the things you cited. So why lie for your agenda?

If American laws were based upon the laws of the OT, you would call them unjust I would think. Well that just shows your double standards. They are unjust laws, and you are not using a consistent standard for your dispute. In fact, your only dispute is, we are atheists. You have failed to show us why the laws were just. You simply divert using bigotry.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128371 Apr 16, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the evidence everyday so it's obviously you that has the "closed mind"
I didn't say I believe, I said "I know" and knowledge takes away all doubt. I know 100% that Christ lives and was sent by His father to implement the plan of salvation. You only want me to say I have less than 100% knowledge so you can feel better about yourself. That's not going to happen with me because I know the truth.
Sorry but just because you have doubts, it doesn't mean anyone else should have.
<quoted text>
My original post on this subject was in reply to "yes and Amen" but nothing came back from that poster since unless it's one of your sockpuppets.
You are are either not being honest or you have a reading comprehension flaw. I explained it all just as it happened and it really wasn't all that confusing. I agreed it was a little confusing so it wouldn't look so obvious that you have comprehension problems, I'm a nice guy that way.
I should have known better than to put anything personal on here but I was asked a question. I ultimately offered my contact info if anyone wanted to hear more or maybe even come to my home or place of business.
I won't bother you with any truth again.
So you have evidence of your beliefs being truth? Then you do not need the faith you keep claiming is a must. This is a contradiction. You keep dodging that contradiction, just as you dodge my question about how you suddenly learned what the church was based upon. Your testimony leaves out that part entirely. It makes a claim and does not explain.
I see that is the trend with you guys, so why should I believe someone who does not care to explain himself?
It is strange that you suddenly learned what the church is based upon two days before the missionaries came to your house. Seems it would be the missionaries who would explain what the church is based upon.
I think you slipped up on the story, and now you refuse to explain to cover up the slip up.
The story does not make sense, even if I were to believe you had a revelation.
So you just expect us to accept a story that does not follow? Well this is why we do not believe the bible or the book of Mormon. It is a story that does not make sense.
Obviously you are fine with stories that do not make sense, as you just made one up yourself and refuse to defend it.
And if you think for one second I am YaA, then you really are making me question your reasoning abilities. It is a claim that has zero logic.
I respond to many posts that are not to me. That is the way this forum works. If you can't stand the heat of defending yourself, maybe you should stop trying to sell your religion to us.
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#128372 Apr 16, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
There should be public schools. An educated populace is more productive and less violent.
<quoted text>
Luckily, he's dead and that never happened. Christians already run most public schools; they're just not allowed to indoctrinate students with their mythology.
Point is there should not be any tax funded public schools of any kind, religious or otherwise. Education should be delivered by the free market. In a totally free market people who want religious instruction in schools (and conversely do not want their children taught evolution, modern geology, etc. that conflicts with their religious beliefs) would be free to enroll their children in church run religious schools. People who did not want religion taught to their children would be perfectly free to enroll them in a non-religious scientific school that taught those things. Before that freedom to choose can be established tax funded public schools have to be abolished. There is no other way.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128373 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You provided misinformation ,since you failed to adress what I posted.
Here it is again.
"Obviously , that rule was very effective as,to my knowledge, it never had to be exercised.
I do not find in the Old Testament any information alluding to any woman being stoned due to loss of virginity before being married.
In essence , the rule eas put in place, however , it servrd it's purpose ,Deterrence"
There is no record in the Bible where a woman wsa stoned because she was not a virgin at the time of marriage,,,That is the in formation I sought which you ,failed to provide.
Better to keep silent or you know what happens.
So your logic for a law being just is, it worked to deter? Well then you may as well put a penalty of death for any crime, as it probably would deter more. But of course that would be the dumbest darn thing ever. Yet that is your reasoning. The dumbest thing ever.
Then you turn and act as if the punishment was never carried out? Are you trying to say no one ever had sex before marriage after the law was made? Well to believe that would be the dumbest thing ever.
If you think this works so well, why not threaten your kids with death for breaking rules, or having sex before marriage? I am sure you would not because it would be the dumbest thing ever.
What I am saying is that the bible has rules that are the dumbest thing ever. Yet you believe they are of a perfect moral god. This contradiction is what keeps me from believing your god is real. It is clearly just a made up god, that men of power used to help them control the people.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128374 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the nonsense ,propaganda and misleading information atheists love to spread around in defense of their calamitous faith.....
That is not a rebuttal, that is a dismissal.

By claiming it is false, you are thus claiming Christians all agree upon what makes a person a Christian? Because in case you have not noticed, YaA claims Mormons and Catholics are not Christians.

And maybe you should look into the IRA.

Khatru wrote:

<quoted text>
Christians can't even agree on what a *true* Christian is and when it comes to which brand of Christianity believes in their god the most, they have shown their willingness to kill each other.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128375 Apr 16, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That's cute.
I enjoy philosophy, science, and discussions about beliefs. It's one of my favorite topics. I'm fascinated with how people think and why they believe the things they do.
We could reverse this statement back on to you. You seem obsessed with atheism. One begins wonder if your faith is all its cracked up to be.
See how that's not a very interesting or satisfactory argument? Kinda juvenile, really.
This point has been made to Curious many times, yet he ignores it. So the ignoring part is clearly the way his brain works. It is the denial thing that psychologists say is the key to believing in things that are not real. It is delusion. Pretty text book stuff. Curious ensures me daily that the experts are correct.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128376 Apr 16, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
<quoted text>
Point is there should not be any tax funded public schools of any kind, religious or otherwise. Education should be delivered by the free market. In a totally free market people who want religious instruction in schools (and conversely do not want their children taught evolution, modern geology, etc. that conflicts with their religious beliefs) would be free to enroll their children in church run religious schools. People who did not want religion taught to their children would be perfectly free to enroll them in a non-religious scientific school that taught those things. Before that freedom to choose can be established tax funded public schools have to be abolished. There is no other way.
The part of your story that fails is, we are allowed to pay for a private school education. In fact the voucher program is the way your tax dollars work that out.
Libertarianism will never happen in America. Why? Because the majority of the people care about others, and will not allow for a system that leaves them to rot.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128377 Apr 16, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
--Rev. Jerry Falwell
So you wish for a system that is conducive to religious indoctrination? Kind of like a madrasa? Falwells university "Liberty University" turns out a lot of preachers. Not exactly a place to get a science degree. But of course religion is in war with science, so I guess you are all for that world?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128378 Apr 16, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
--Rev. Jerry Falwell
Of course such a system would have made Jerry even more rich. So the statement seems a little biased. He wanted his main competition abolished.
Of course he wishes for only schools that make profit.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128379 Apr 16, 2014
USA wrote:
<quoted text>
The counterpoint is, your Brain is not working, so one cannot rebut a FOOL.
You really like to prove us correct?

When accused of empty insults, the theist confirms the accusation with empty insults.

ChromiuMan wrote:

<quoted text>
That is not a rebuttal, it is just an empty attempt to insult. Provide a counterpoint or slink away.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128380 Apr 16, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a strange fact to state. It strongly suggests you actually think this never happened simply because it isn't written in the Bible as having happened. But it is almost certainly the cast that at some point in the ancient world someone had sex with someone else's goat. That story isn't in the Bible either. Do you think it never happened?
Also, it's kind of an offensive point you're making. You are suggesting that allowing a man to kill a woman who he wanted to marry because she had sex with someone else is...a good thing? That's the tone of your argument. There is a heavy handed slut-shaming in the way you discuss this issue.
Do you also think it might be a good idea to stone men who lie with other men? It would be consistent with your stone age thinking.
]<quoted text>
1)It's a strange fact to state. It strongly suggests you actually think this never happened simply because it isn't written in the Bible as having happened. But it is almost certainly the cast that at some point in the ancient world someone had sex with someone else's goat. That story isn't in the Bible either. Do you think it never happened?

I am not suggesting it never happened , I am suggesting that the law served as a deterrent
Sa far as someone having sex with goats , no reason for me to believe it did not occur then and is occuring now.
Matter of fact , atheist stalwarts such as Peter Singer, Chris Hitchens, Sam Harris and Leonard Krauss condone such behaviour as beastiality
According to Singer , if one finds the act pleasurable , there is nothing wrong with it.
He claimed in a tv Interview that the vagina of asheep is more pleasurable than the vagina of a female human..
That these victims are being raped,there is little doubt , as they are in no position to consent to this type of behaviour

2)Also, it's kind of an offensive point you're making. You are suggesting that allowing a man to kill a woman who he wanted to marry because she had sex with someone else is...a good thing? That's the tone of your argument. There is a heavy handed slut-shaming in the way you discuss this issue.

One issue that the nonbelievers fail to address is' What was the objective of this covenant between God and Israel?
The Israelis agreed to obey the laws contained in the covenant and well understood it's purpose.
3)Do you also think it might be a good idea to stone men who lie with other men? It would be consistent with your stone age thinking.

Based on the Old Testament covenant and it's objectives , although harsh , I would agree
Let us remember that the Israelis agreed to those terms.
Now we have a new covenant , as God promised....
The rock foundation of which is Jesus Christ,as you well know.
The New Covenant is superior to the Old Covenant and replaces the Old Covenant.
That is why Christ , when asked if the woman caght in adultery should be stoned repled, let he who is withouit sin cas the first stone

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128381 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No , I am just stating a fact. There is no record,to my knowledge, that a woman was stoned for having premarital sex. There is a record of the Jews being punished for other violations of the covenant that they agreed to and violated.
Do you believe that the fact that they would be stoned to death servrd as a deterrent ?
As opposed to toiday, when women are free to do as they will,with as many as they will and in many cases the one who pays the price is the unborn child.
You may well just be stating a fact. But the fact is not evidence of the punishment never being carried out. So your fact is pointless. But of course pointless facts are your specialty.

And again, if your statement is what you believe, then it stands to reason you wish for death to women who have premarital sex today? Are you for this or against it?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128382 Apr 16, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you can reverse that argument back to me..........Except that I am not obsessed with atheism. Seems someone else has made that exact statement
The atheists on this forum spend night and day,obsessed with a God they claim is not real.
If you wanted to debate santa Claus,Zeus or Thor, since I do not believe in them, I would not waste my time on those topics and why should or would I?....
Howevfer , although they claim not to believe,they are forever asking for evidence , proof , a reason to believe.....If you truly do not believe in something ,why ask for evidence that you do not believe exists and which would contradict your beliefs.
Seems to me,maybe they are not too sure of their beliefs.
More or less ,that view is confirmed by the fact that lately , no one here claims to be an atheist. Now they claim there is a possibility that a God exists. Some now identify themselves as secular humanists.....
Cest la vie
Of course others have claimed you are obsessed with atheism. You post about atheism daily. It is pretty much all you talk about here. So simply claiming you are not obsessed does not make it so. It makes you in denial of a fact that has mounds of evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many would like 2 c mike corey get beat ? 9 min BOBSHADABADNIGHT 57
Megan Marie Rogers 24 min Suggestion 2
Four mo years of stupidity 48 min Fact 3
Jailer 59 min Wrong 4
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 1 hr winner 1,981
Lets Play Follow The Word! (Jun '10) 1 hr winner 1,449
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 1 hr winner 4,317
Sheriff’s race.? 1 hr Hahaha 5
Jm hall gets 4 more years with mitchell thanks ! 1 hr Same old same ole 10
Jared franklin JOB Hunting Tonite ! 2 hr Bob 6