Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 180214 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#128184 Apr 11, 2014
Lehi wrote:
It wasn't until I believe 1971 that someone claimed to find court documents from 1823 where JS was charged with fraud. They searched the basement archives at the sheriff department somewhere in NY. and claimed they found what they were looking for. Yea right.
All these accusations came forth because Joseph Smith was having much influence on some of the prominent citizens of the area and they couldn't allow that to happen. Actualy charges were brought against Smith probably 50 times before he was murdered in a jail cell but no convictions or confessions were ever recorded, odd isn't it?
Also for the chrome one, the analogy of fruit doesn't mean actual fruit but I bet you knew that. You people are all alike, you will go to any length to try and tear down something that makes a difference in the world. The powers of evil have trained you well.
Calling someone investigating claims "evil" is more of a political dodge.. Something like a fox news fan would say about Obamanation as president. It just drives a point home for you and those who believe you and shows emptiness in your replies.

Asking why do members of your church believe in the theory of evolution, like the BYU professor, is that just his opinion and evil? Is your brother considered evil for believing that is a fact?

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#128186 Apr 11, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you tell me about any Mormon prophesies that has come true that can be validated today?
You can find that answer as easily as you find anti material. If you are just looking for a fight, I can't help you. If you are looking for truth, you would have to visit a LDS friendly site.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_propheci...

Problem is like the link I gave earlier about "tunnel vision", when you are seeking to tear something down you will miss the things that make it strong because you simply cannot see it. Most refuse to even entertain the idea that things are possible because they already think it's not because of what someone told them.

People will spend more time complaining about something the early Mormon leaders did than about today's abuse of children by Catholic priests.

If anyone had one piece of evidence that would show the LDS Church as false, it would have been in the headlines by now. Go ahead and look back but if you are going to be honest in your search you will see that those who were hell bent on destroying the church were mostly evangelicals. It's all about "sheep stealing" because the LDS Church averages 800 baptisms daily, that's around 300,000 yearly. That's taking a lot of cash out of the coffers of Protestantism.

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#128187 Apr 11, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I know that the analogy is not literally about fruit, and you should also know that there is a form of arsenic in several kinds of fruit seeds. Do you deny LDS traditionally treat women as second class citizens or that in western LDS communities racism and bigotry is commonplace? Before you do, remember the 9th commandment. Unlike many among the religious I know that reality and myth are not the same thing. Is not looking at your sect through rose colored filters that which you'd call influenced by "the powers of evil"? In case you haven't noticed, rhetoric which forbids open scrutiny and criticism treads close to cult propaganda and behavior.
So just what is that "difference in the world"? By all means, why don't you reveal just how what and how much good the Church of LDS has done with their coffers in comparison to other denominations? As I recall, most of the money is spent on temples and other capital projects specifically and exclusively for the benefit of its own members.
Ah, but don't get me wrong... I'm not picking unfairly on the LDS. Others (such as the JWs) don't do any better.
If you understood the analogy is not literally about fruit then why mention poison in the seeds?

I'm fully aware of what to look for in a cult, that's why I have every book on Mormonism history there is.

Born of evil to me is when someone makes an accusation about your beliefs and then they refuse to even debate the possible explanations you present in your defense.

Like I said earlier, of all the Christian churches I have attended over the last 50 plus years, I have never had to defend myself on a scale as now. That actually makes me stronger in my beliefs because I wouldn't expect anything less.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#128189 Apr 11, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I don't believe in Hell
I know that you do.
I also know that you believe perfect love involves creating a gigantic torture chamber, filling it with monsters and demons and putting people in there against their wills and torturing them for eternity.
No you have that confused with Greek mythology. Have you never heard of the myth Dante's Inferno?:
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#128190 Apr 11, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I know that the analogy is not literally about fruit, and you should also know that there is a form of arsenic in several kinds of fruit seeds. Do you deny LDS traditionally treat women as second class citizens or that in western LDS communities racism and bigotry is commonplace? Before you do, remember the 9th commandment. Unlike many among the religious I know that reality and myth are not the same thing. Is not looking at your sect through rose colored filters that which you'd call influenced by "the powers of evil"? In case you haven't noticed, rhetoric which forbids open scrutiny and criticism treads close to cult propaganda and behavior.
So just what is that "difference in the world"? By all means, why don't you reveal just how what and how much good the Church of LDS has done with their coffers in comparison to other denominations? As I recall, most of the money is spent on temples and other capital projects specifically and exclusively for the benefit of its own members.
Ah, but don't get me wrong... I'm not picking unfairly on the LDS. Others (such as the JWs) don't do any better.
You like others compare the Mormons with Jehovah's Witnesses when there is no comparison. Where do you get the idea that we are to be compared with LDS?
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#128191 Apr 11, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
You can find that answer as easily as you find anti material. If you are just looking for a fight, I can't help you. If you are looking for truth, you would have to visit a LDS friendly site.
http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_propheci...
Go ahead and look back but if you are going to be honest in your search you will see that those who were hell bent on destroying the church were mostly evangelicals. It's all about "sheep stealing" because the LDS Church averages 800 baptisms daily, that's around 300,000 yearly. That's taking a lot of cash out of the coffers of Protestantism.
A possible civil war was already being discussed in a newspaper before JS made his comments. Now if it never came to pass you can then say the just was his opinion as Du Whut has said. No doubt in my mine JS was a slick huckster. Sorry, evidence falls short. Their is a better way to prove you have the truth.

Some insist that as early as 1832 no one but Joseph Smith could have known that the United States could be plunged into a civil war. The fact is, not far from Smith's Kirtland, Ohio headquarters, a newspaper called the Painesville Telegraph printed a story from the New York Courier and Enquirer entitled "The Crisis." The article spoke of the "probabilities of dismemberment" stemming from discontent in South Carolina and Georgia over states rights. It is interesting to note that the date of this article is Friday, December 21,1832, just four days before Smith received his alleged "prophecy."

Smith's ability to "predict" the coming Civil War becomes less fantastic when we realize that four days before he came up with the revelation found in D&C 87, a local newspaper called The Painesville Telegraph—located about 11 miles from Smith's home—had reprinted an article from the December 8, 1832 edition of the Weekly Courier and New York Enquirer entitled "The Crisis." Though the events leading to the Civil War were far-reaching and very complicated, the author chose in this article to focus primarily on the seditious threats and actions of two southern states, Georgia and South Carolina. Though no one will argue that Smith's revelation contained more details (many of which did not come to pass), this article stated emphatically that the nation was in severe peril "unless some signal interposition shall arrest the course of events in both these States," thus showing that a potential Civil War was not an unheard of notion.

Sorry I pass .

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#128195 Apr 12, 2014
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Most here are posting about the kjv god.
A god that is defined in appearance. A humaniod form, from the waist up glowing metal as if full of fire, from the waist down fire. Brilliant light shining all around it, hair like snow white wool, eyes of blazing fire, feet like bronze glowing in a fire.
A god that is defined by its actions. A talking snake, a talking donkey, a fing burning bush that talks, a flood that covered the highest mountians, an exodus of 2 million people across the desert(and they did not drop a single thing), water walking, an ark that's as big as texas, a man living in a whale, 4 horsemen that bring gloom and doom, 7 seals, 7 trumpets, 7 Eleven.
Critical thinking? If good evidence emerges? Good luck.
There is no god.
lol

Yeah, regarding SPECIFIC gods we can say with a very high degree of certainty they are not real. Yaweh, Jehovah, El, Elohim...99.999999999999999999 9999999999999999999% certainty they are fairy tales.

But the "philosopher's god" is another story. I would still argue 99.999999(etc.)% that this god is not real, but philosophically you have to accept an agnostic position on it or else you are being intellectually dishonest.

Location hidden

#128196 Apr 12, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It has become quite evident by your postings that your moribund mind ha reached new levels of incompetence when it comes to reading comprehension....
Of course,as a result of independent studies ,A USMC report, filed lawsuits and the opinion of an atheist leader ,we have been informed that the atheist religion can cause it's members to become suicidial , more likely to become addicted to drugs and alcohol, deeply depressed, suffer from anxiety, dyspepsia ,headaches , feel lonely and abandoned.
While we find that those who accept Christ feel overflowing joy and a renewing of the mind.
based on that information,one will conclude that atheism is a threat to your well being and quite detrimental to your health
ALAS POOR YORICK , I KNEW HIM WELL..........
I seriously doubt the veracity of this claim. You'll have to demonstrate it more completely. Also, do you always accept claims based on a single study or piece of evidence that you clearly have no vetted? How is it that one person can convince you that atheists are a bunch of suicidal druggies but hundreds of thousands of pages of peer-reviewed evidence cannot convince you of the fact of evolution?

You'll forgive if I don't take your posts very seriously.

Location hidden

#128197 Apr 12, 2014
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe it was because after Pharaoh said "You guys are free to split." they set about ripping off everything in the region that wasn't nailed down and looted the Pharaohs treasury and stole the Pharaohs other peoples crap before they took off in a trot.....
That's possible. Or it might be the case that the whole story is a myth since there's scant evidence for any of it.

Location hidden

#128198 Apr 12, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
Reasons given for having abortions in the United States
by Wm. Robert Johnston
last updated 26 August 2012
Summary: This report reviews available statistics regarding reasons given for obtaining abortions in the United States, including surveys by the Alan Guttmacher Institute and data from seven state health/statistics agencies that report relevant statistics (Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Utah). The official data imply that AGI claims regarding "hard case" abortions are inflated by roughly a factor of three. Actual percentage of U.S. abortions in "hard cases" are estimated as follows: in cases of rape, 0.3%; in cases of incest, 0.03%; in cases of risk to maternal life, 0.1%; in cases of risk to maternal health, 1%; and in cases of fetal health issues, 0.5%. About 98% of abortions in the United States are elective, including socio-economic reasons or for birth control. This includes perhaps 30% for primarily economic reasons.
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/aborti...
In the case of peril to the Mother... We make the hard decision, and terminate the child (IF that is what the Mother wishes), but we do NOT celebrate making that choice... we Mourn it!
.1%!!!!
What's your point?

The only important reason for a woman to have an abortion is because the woman has made the choice to have an abortion.

End of story. Your opinion, while you are certainly free to voice it, has no bearing on the matter. That is unless you are physically hooked to the woman's body.

Location hidden

#128199 Apr 12, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is the atheists that have doubts , or are embarassed by their faith.
Look at what has happened. I have posted studirs by the Mayo clinic , the USMC and others
that describe the maladies afflicting atheists . I posted Staks Rosch paper " Atheism has a suicide problem" As you know he is a leader in the atheist community. You all went ballistics poating nonsense and excuses regarding the results of what was posted. All were in denial ,just like Stak Rosch claimed you would be.
Finally , we have a lawsuit filed by AA org. where they claim to be afflicted by many of the same symptoms, all because of an artifact in the shape of a cross.
The world finally became familiar with dyspepsia and atheists were being ridiculed by many of their own as a result of this inane lawsuit.
Suddenly , the atheists on this website began to claim they were not atheists , that there is a possibility that God or God's exist.
Are you not counted among those?
Is it not doubt that causes you to continously and on a daily basis continue to debate that which you claim does not exist?
You claim not to believe in God or Moses , yet,you are obsessed with them and are continuously railing against them..........
You sound much like murray O'hair , who claimed that she did not believe in God ,but railed against him on a daily basis, according to her son..
Now, who is the one that has doubts about their beliefs?
You keep talking about this and making these sweeping claims. I've been a non-believer all my adult life and I regularly read and listen to skeptical, atheist, and humanist books and programs. I have actually *never* heard of Staks Rosch. Perhaps he has a following but from my personal experience he is not a major figure at all.

But that's beside the point. First, there are real problems with a lot of these types of studies. Google Luke Galen and read up on the psychology of religion and how these types of studies are being unpacked and their details revealed more clearly. It is very interesting stuff.

Second, this has nothing to do with the existence of god. Even if being atheist made you a hundred times more likely to be suicidal (it doesn't, by the way) that would still not provide evidence for god. These are separate issues.

We cannot force ourselves to believe something. We either believe it or we don't. God, if he was real, would know exactly what it would take for me to believe in him (paraphrasing Matt Dillahunty for a moment). And it would not violate free will. Yet I do not believe. I'm open minded, I'm skeptical, I'm critical. I have changed my mind a thousand times on a bunch of issues. But I still haven't heard a compelling reason to believe in god. Hell, I even got saved when I was a teenager. I was all about Jesus for a while. But my rational mind eventually won the internal debate. I sought god. I got saved.

It was just a delusion. And I'm far happier being out of that nonsense. No more fear of hell, no more fear of a watchful ghost, and best of all I can spend Sunday morning doing what I like.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128200 Apr 12, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
I have studied Christianity for 50 + years and joined many different sects of Christianity in search for total truth.
After joining the LDS Church, I found out what it was to be a true Christian and serve the Lord with all your might, mind, and strength and I'm not saying you can't find and do that anywhere else. I have never seen any Christian denomination serve the Lord as devoutly as Mormons do. Sad to say, some Mormons don't.
In all other Christian denominations I never had to deal with so much hatred from other groups as I have now. I have spent the last 19 years defending my beliefs from those, who on the basis of rumor only are constantly trying to tear me down.
I no longer just believe, I now KNOW that God exists. I got my foundation of the gospel of Jesus the Christ from the pages of the Bible at the feet of my Baptist grandparents in 1959.
There will be people of all walks enter into the Kingdom of God because He looks upon the hearts of man but as for a Christian church you won't find any better than the LDS.
A corrupt tree cannot bring forth good fruit just as a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit.
By their fruits ye shall know them.
To say that Mormons aren't Christian is an outright lie and has put you in a place of bearing false witness and unrighteous judgment. Do you know how serious that is? If you took your salvation seriously, you would never cease seeking the truth for yourself.
Are there some people in other denominations that are Christians???
I have little doubt of it!
Yes Mormons do pound the ground for their faith I can say that...
How is it that they get you to do that? is it a requirement?
I hope you do not think me hateful for warning you of what I believe to be
anathema of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
My only wish is for you to see....
That the basics of what you learned from your Grandparents is ALL you needed,
ALL anyone needed!

Grace Alone,
Faith Alone,
in
Christ ALONE!
It is a "GIFT" of God, lest ANY man Boast!

Boasting of how many miles you've traveled, Hours you've prayed,
Visited the "Temple".... NONE of that Qualifies a person as a Christian!

This is not a "Do" Relationship....
It's a "Done" Relationship! Trust in Christ!

He didn't do His best, so you can do the rest.... He done it ALL,
and for that.... We do good works, Sharing the Gospel!

There are MANY more videos of this...

God Bless!

Location hidden

#128201 Apr 12, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep looking back through history for perceived faults if you must but I choose to look forward. I wasn't there and neither were you. You have no proof of any of your claims and if you decide to post something you find on a crap site, make sure it's real proof and not "he said, she said" crap as usual.
Those are pretty well substantiated claims. Read up on the Book of Abraham. At the time Smith "translated" it we had not yet figured out how to read Egyptian writing. And when they checked Smith's translation against what the actual texts said...well, let's just say the LDS was quite embarrassed.

Location hidden

#128202 Apr 12, 2014
Lehi wrote:
It wasn't until I believe 1971 that someone claimed to find court documents from 1823 where JS was charged with fraud. They searched the basement archives at the sheriff department somewhere in NY. and claimed they found what they were looking for. Yea right.
All these accusations came forth because Joseph Smith was having much influence on some of the prominent citizens of the area and they couldn't allow that to happen. Actualy charges were brought against Smith probably 50 times before he was murdered in a jail cell but no convictions or confessions were ever recorded, odd isn't it?
Also for the chrome one, the analogy of fruit doesn't mean actual fruit but I bet you knew that. You people are all alike, you will go to any length to try and tear down something that makes a difference in the world. The powers of evil have trained you well.
Hey, can you point me to some good Book of Mormon battle sites to visit? I'd like to dig for some horse bones and chariot wheels. Surely you guys have some good locations, right? Some monuments and pieces in museums from the old days?

I'd really like to see some of those awesome scimitars and sword hilts that must be scattered around various battle sites.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128203 Apr 12, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Cyanide in peach pits and ignorance in pews. Analogy stands.
Seems
God knows bore than you....
http://www.naturalnews.com/033123_laetrile_vi... #
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128204 Apr 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Christianity is so divisive.
"You're either with us or you're damned"
That's the mantra of the Christians.
But....
YOU GET TO CHOOSE!
We don't Force it upon you!
Unlike Obamacare, and socialism....
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#128205 Apr 12, 2014

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#128206 Apr 12, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
No you have that confused with Greek mythology. Have you never heard of the myth Dante's Inferno?:
Yes, I know millions of Christians get their idea of Hell straight out of the Divine Comedy.

I guess if the Bible god had been a better communicator, this confusion would never have arisen in the first place.

Cambridge, UK

#128207 Apr 12, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You like others compare the Mormons with Jehovah's Witnesses when there is no comparison. Where do you get the idea that we are to be compared with LDS?
Mormons, JW's, KKK, Catholics, etc - they're all Christians

Cambridge, UK

#128209 Apr 12, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see you are still fixated and I can see you have trouble with reading comprehension because I have posted over and over and over scripture that supports everything I post.
For this morning lesson read 2 Peter 2 and report back to your teacher
Why are you so full of hate that you want to constantly insult Christians?
LOL

A Christian complaining about hatred. Please excuse me while I adjust my irony meter.

SevenTee is the guy who admitted that killing homosexuals as well as people who exercise freedom of religion is good.

Speak to a fundie like SevenTee if you really want to know what hatred is:

The fundies in here think that genocide is a god idea.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John g Mills 4 min Weird 2
Body 12 min Some one who knows 10
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 43 min Justme 4,405
Where you @Gothic girl? 58 min Marlboro Man 8
Drugs 1 hr WOW 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 1 hr Big Pete Dickerson 2,068
Anybody know Kamden Smith 2 hr Junier 4

Barbourville Jobs

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages